Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
This is an excellent list. I want to mention two alternative browsers that will let you block adds without root.

Firefox Browser for Android works well and has a fully functioning add-in system, Ublock origin works with it.
Lightning Web Browser + is a light weight browser with ad blocking and other features built in. I haven't used it personally though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

effika posted:

Pushbullet is $40/year now. I like it a lot, but not for that price.

What were the alternatives? I stopped paying attention after finding Pushbullet.

There's still a free version, what pro features do you need?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

The stock phone dialer can do calls over WiFi on ProjectFi without hangouts. It really prefers to use t-mobile or sprint's network though. You can force it to use wifi by turning on airplane mode and then enabling WiFi.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Guillermus posted:

What would be a nice alternative to ES File Explorer nowadays? I've been using it since my gingerbread days on my phone and tablet but since I got a new android phone two weeks ago started to grow tired that they filled it with poo poo. I want something that supports external usb drives and shared folders via wi-fi (from my W10 PC). From What I've read Asus file manager is decent and Total Commander is a classic that seems to be still supported. Any suggestions?

Solid Explorer is excellent but not free, 14 day trial to test it out though. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.solidexplorer2&hl=en

Nexus devices apparently don't support partitions other than FAT for external USB drives but this plugin adds support for them. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.solidexplorer.plugins.otg&hl=en

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Acorns is dumb because it's extremely simple to setup an automatic monthly transfer to a brokerage with lower fees once you figure out how much it's investing for you on average. It's target customers should almost all be investing in a Roth IRA rather than a taxable account which they don't support. The fees Acorns charges are in addition to the standard expense fees of the funds they invest you in, and finally the $1/month fee is actually a lot if you don't have much invested already and are only contributing using the spare change feature.

Nothing they do is so bad that I would consider it a scam, but there are better options available that are just as simple. Acorns really isn't providing anything than doing a good job convincing people to start investing.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

nocal posted:

I guess? It took me like 10 minutes to sign up for Acorns. I wouldn't even know where to look as far as a brokerage. I'm obviously not much of an investor.

I don't want to go off on an investment derail, but we have a Long Term investment/Retirement thread as well as a newbie personal finance thread that are worth a look.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

I know it gets repeated religiously that you don't need to close apps on Android, but I really think there are exceptions. Mostly with games and occasionally with apps that are bugging out in some way. Here's a recent example.

There's nothing that should need to run at all with that game unless it's in the foreground. The battery life drains extremely quickly if I do not "close" the app by swiping it away from recent apps. If I swipe the app away or just don't launch it in the first place the battery life is a lot better.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Nine is the best exchange email app.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I don't see how that's going to help him. His workplace uses Google Apps, not Exchange, and he wants the Calendar functionality, not the mail.

I was replying directly to fluppet, I didn't realize he was asking for Ashex.

Nine works with Google apps as well, just not regular gmail accounts. It has calendar functionality and will integrate into android's stock calendar.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Hangouts is becoming Google's Slack thingy.

And also a video meeting app, so we're net +1 google messaging apps.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Is there a recommended video player that can handle multiple audio tracks and subs?

MXPlayer and VLC media player I think can handle both of those.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

It needs to have authenticated via PIN or fingerprint within a certain amount of time which may not correspond directly to what you have your phone's security too. I had the best results by turning the screen off and unlocking my phone via fingerprint reader right before I made the purchase.

Not sure what it does if you have no screen lock or use a pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Tunga posted:

I can only comment in regards to the UK but there is no time out in the way described here. In fact all of this is entirely incorrect. Though the US is pants-on-head stupid when it comes to payment systems so maybe things there really do work in the preposterous way that you describe, I've never read anything to that effect.

Android Pay requires that you have a secure lock screen to function at all. You cannot even add a card without meeting that requirement. Transactions under £30 require the screen to be on but nothing else. They work just like a contactless payment on a card. No authorization needed, no unlock needed, they basically just work Transactions above £30 require the device to be unlocked, just as you would need to enter your PIN to use your card on a terminal.

Your phone should not ever perform an NFC payment with the screen off as the hardware is supposed to be disabled in this state to prevent fraud. If your phone genuinely does that then I would recommend returning it as it is broken.

Sorry if I wasn't too clear. The screen definitely needs to be on to make an NFC transaction. What I was suggesting was turning the display off and unlocking via your fingerprint right before making an Android Pay transaction since using the fingerprint to unlock your phone also turns the display on.

I definitely have had the screen on with the phone unlocked and been prompted to re-enter my PIN in the past. I used to have a phone without a fingerprint reader so I would set the phone to only lock after it had been asleep for the longest possible time it would let me. To avoid the issue I just started locking and unlocking my phone right before using Android Pay.

Not sure about the over/under $30 thing in the US, I've been prompted for a PIN in the past on a $1 McDonalds coffee.