Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Whizbang posted:

It's been taken off the play store and the dev is supposedly seriously ill.

Wow that sucks :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
All of the sudden, Google music is deleting and re-downloading my pinned music everytime my phone restarts. I have like 18 gigs of pinned music, so it's quite annoying. Thanks, google!!!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Whizbang posted:

ES File Explorer has also been sending all your data to China for years so if you're still using that's on you.

Like everyone else isn't lol.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

peepsalot posted:

The google+ app on my Nexus 5 won't open, it just sits at the logo screen with a big G+ in a red circle. How can i make this work?

e: I opened it through a notification that someone had posted to a group i'm following. I just noticed that if I hit the button to go to task switcher, I see it show the content of the post for a split second as it is shrinking down to the switcher card or whatever, but then goes back to the G+ logo screen.

Have you tried clearing the apps cache? Seems to clear these types of problems up a lot.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

habanero walrus posted:

Has anyone else had issues with Pocket Casts crashing? When it does it, it marks the currently playing cast as read and I lose my progress. It's super obnoxious!

Can't way I have, and I use that app a fuckload. Does it actually crash ("Sorry, Pocketcasts has stopped working" or whatever) or does it kick itself out of memory and stop playing?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

hooah posted:

So now what happens if I just... never update Pushbullet?

Eventually you'll slip up and update it.

Also, I would imagine they could block older versions from functioning server-side which would make it useless.

E: If I really need to put stuff on my phone or tablet, I set up a bittorrent sync folder. It's full of gifs I can post in my facebook messenger group chat though :v:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Well, I just got a notification that LinkedIn is "retiring" Pulse on December 31st. gently caress. Can anyone here suggest another newsreader app that has a similar flow?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Syrinxx posted:

Well now that Pushbullet is a mother fucker of a company who is going subscription instead of being a paid app, is there a decent alternative? I just want to SMS from my computer, and PBs 100 message limit is ridiculous.

Skarsnik posted:

it still doesnt work properly in M either

I think google fixed this bug for 6.01.

Require More Fire posted:

MightyText is OK.

Mightytext has a limit of 500 messages IIRC if you're on the free tier. Unlimited on pay.

Also, I'm going to post this again since I think it got lost on the bottom of the previous page:

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Well, I just got a notification that LinkedIn is "retiring" Pulse on December 31st. gently caress. Can anyone here suggest another newsreader app that has a similar flow?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

hooah posted:

Is there something that does SMS mirroring like PushBullet but with a higher free limit, or MightyText but with a stand-alone desktop client? Or failing that, something with a subscription cost that only includes the SMS mirroring?

MightyText actually has a standalone desktop client now.

http://mightytext.net/desktop-app

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

hooah posted:

Huh. They sure don't advertise it, though, because u just went to their site today. Thanks, I'll check it out!

Syrinxx posted:

Had no idea about this, thanks. Works much better than the wonky Firefox integration.

Yeah it's been out at least a few weeks, and the only way I found out about it was from r/android talking about it yes I read r/android for news please don't kill me .

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

always be closing posted:

Can you download to listen offline with Spotify?

Yes.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Krime posted:

Gmail - Note 5

Sometimes when I go to select a bunch of emails, it will let me touch on all of the circles to select them and delete. Sometimes when I touch a circle it takes me to the email. I've seen no rhyme or reason to the difference and it's annoying as hell.

I've even been very careful before making sure I absolutely, positively hit the circle to select it, but nope... it opens the email (sometimes).

It's a pretty annoying issue, because I want the drat thing to work the same every time.

Anyone else experience this?

I've had this happen on my second gen Moto G also.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Karthe posted:

Hey, so whatever happened to Google Play Music gaining podcast management? I haven't heard anything about it since they announced it, the beginning of December?

It'll just show up one day, knowing Google. They have a habit of doing that. Like when they announced family plans would be coming in a few months back in September, then never mentioned it again until they were introduced a few weeks ago.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

spincube posted:

There's no entry for Play Music (yet?) in their 'download your data' deely. However, if you've got the Chrome extension installed you can download single tracks or albums as often as you'd like.

You can also download your whole music library in one go, if you take a look at the Account Settings page in Play Music:

[e] ... of course this is all from a desktop machine, not a mobile device.

If you use the windows program, you can download your entire library.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

XIII posted:

I feel like I saw this mentioned recently, but is anyone else getting weird behavior with Gmail syncing? It'll suddenly drop nine emails on me at once, all with different receipt times.

Yes, google is rolling out a fix server side soon.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

vulturesrow posted:

Looking for a good tethering app (my Android tablet isn't 3g/4g capable) and something that lets me see texts and such on my tablet. AirDroid used to be the best choice for that, is this still the case?

I use MightyText to send and receive texts on my tablet. Works pretty good. Can't help you with the tethering question.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Sneeze Party posted:

I have about $6.50 in Play Store credit and I don't know what to do with it. I've got a good calendar app (Business Calendar), weather app (Weather), keyboard app (Swiftkey) and I already have Tasker... which I barely use.

Any recommendations for a guy who has it all?

Do you have work email on your phone? Nine?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

BoyBlunder posted:

What are you Android bros still using for keyboards? I was a big fan of Google Keyboard, but switched to Fleksy for a while as the gestures are badass.

Still using and loving SwiftKey. The "flow" (Swype) knockoff still sucks, but I never use it anyway so whatever.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Qylvaran posted:

Is there a gold-standard app for changing the phone interface while you're driving? I'd like something I can use to bring up navigation, change music tracks (gpm), or call one of about three people without looking away from the road. I've tried doing all of this through voice, but it frequently fails to work (recent example: "call my wife" resulted in a google search for "all my life", followed by substantial swearing. I am not a calm driver). Bonus points if it can defer text and email notifications until I'm no longer behind the wheel.

Automate maybe?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Require More Fire posted:

What's the status of this dumb bug in Gmail where notifications don't get delivered? Last I heard it was something there were fixing server-side, and that was a few weeks back. I'm still not getting notifications reliably though, sometimes I'll get one or two but often I have to open the app to get it to sync. Are they still working on this or what.

Yeah this is still happening to me, and is quite annoying.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Someone made a Google Play Music Desktop player that has some more features than the website:

http://www.googleplaymusicdesktopplayer.com/

Looks like it takes the website and puts it in a nice wrapper so it can support some additional stuff, like themes and hotkeys. It's pretty nice, and I'll be using this until google breaks it in some horrible way.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

flatluigi posted:

What's the best solution to mirror my SMS messages across my devices? I just got a Nexus 9 and now my old phone mostly just sits across the room charging while I use my tablet for just about everything I used my phone for except reading SMSes, and I don't appear to be able to use Messaging to read them on my tablet.

I use MightyText for this, works pretty good.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Does anyone have a working link for a download to all the webOS notification sounds? I used to be able to just Google and download one but looks like they all disappeared.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Lblitzer posted:

Oh man, I would love these too. It's been years since I've used Zedge, were they on there?

Didn't see the ones I wanted on there. They had the ringtones, but not that SMS/Alert tones and stuff.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

brc64 posted:

I'm actually kind of digging Messenger. I've switched from the TouchWiz SMS app for now. There was something about Hangouts that drove me crazy when I tried to use it for SMS, but I can't remember. I think it had to do with how it handled notifications.

I tried hangouts for SMS about a year and a half ago, and for some reason my phone randomly failed to notify me of new messages. I gave up and went back to the stock SMS app (It was a Motorola Razr M at the time, so nothing crazy) and eventually switched to Google Messenger.

Google Messenger is nice. Real nice, actually. It's dumb, but I like color-coding people/conversations :v:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
What's a good IRC app?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
What's the PocketCasts of IRC apps

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

vyst posted:

This is a new battery drain for me. Any thoughts?

Pretty sure that's an app you recently uninstalled, and that's how the battery screen reports it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
A one way bittorent sync seems like it would do the job.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Are there any new and exciting apps that sync contact photos from FB/IG/whatever else?

I've been using Sync.ME but it recently started throwing up ads with no option to buy my way out and that'll be a deal breaker if there's any other app out there that's half decent..

I'm pretty sure HaxSync is defunct, correct me if I'm wrong, and UberSync was stuck in Gingerbread last time I saw it so... yeah.

I'm wondering this too.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Safe and Secure! posted:

My sister is being harassed and stalked by an ex boyfriend and wants to back up save her text messages as a record of his behavior, but can't figure out how to do it. I googled for this and found a bunch of shady apps that don't seem trustworthy. Can anyone recommend some solution to this? The phone is a galaxy s4, if that changes anything.

SMS Backup and restore by Carbonite can backup all your text messages to an XML file. I use it when I switch phones, works great.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Help, my news app 'News Republic' has a new update/beta update that's loving terrible and made navigation impossible and removing a lot of poo poo. I need a good news app and Flipboard is annoying as gently caress, too little screen space for the news article.

I use Feedly, I'm pretty happy with it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
God Google, if you really want to compete with imessages why not develop some sort of API that hooks into your Google account, then force OEM's to implement it into their stock messaging apps.

This poo poo should have been done 3 years ago.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

They wouldn't have to force anything.

The SMS store is a system component so it's consistent between manufacturer builds of Android. All they would need to do is have a new process in play services monitor the DB for updates and forward them off to Google's servers.

Google could very easily build a superior version of iMessage with little effort, they just have chosen not to.

I would imagine there would have to be some work done by the OEM's to support things like message indicators (typing, read etc) stickers, "fun" features etc.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Can anyone recommend a good app for scanning and saving receipts? Preferably one that I can log into a website after scanning so I can see them all.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Blue Train posted:

I just use google drive for my scanning needs

set up a receipt directory and go to town

Yeah I saw that, was just wondering if there was a "go to" app for that sort of stuff. Like how everyone says PocketCasts for podcasts.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Thermopyle posted:

Couple of things, really, but the main one is that KeePass encrypts and stores your data locally and is open source. LastPass is largely a black box and we accept on faith that they have their poo poo together on backend security.

To be fair, when a lot of people recommend KeePass over Lastpass they also say within the same sentence that they throw their password database up on dropbox or Drive so they can sync it anywhere. At that point, what's the difference really?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

CLAM DOWN posted:

The difference is that KeePass database is encrypted with a key only I have, so literally doesn't matter if someone compromises my cloud storage and steals the file because they won't be able to access it.

Thermopyle posted:

As mentioned, KeePass encrypts it locally with open source code. There's no way for Dropbox or whomever to access the contents of your password database.

Ah, totally overlooked this.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Is there anyway I can get the Gmail app to alert me about an email from a specific sender that always lands in the promotion tab? Talking specifically about slickdeals really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Alan_Shore posted:

I can't believe there's no way to set a gif as a wallpaper. All the apps are lovely and out of date. You think that would be super easy.

Gifs hit CPU's super hard. This would be a pretty bad idea.