Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

kri kri posted:

Emby is a pretty cool alternative to Plex. Fully open source, even the server. They have a plex-pass like Premiere feature, but I would imagine that is only for people who really need local device sync.

Plus it's great to have if you're running multiple instances of Kodi in your home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I know the dev for Paprika used to post here a couple of years ago. I liked the app well enough but it had some weird Android quirks.

Edit: And it hasn't been updated in a long time.

Updated
January 4, 2015

I use and don't really notice any quirks. However, I've owned it for years and it's been updated maybe 4 times. It's not particularly pretty to look at either, but it does what it's supposed to and I like that you can search all the big recipe sites and import recipes into the app (and you can import recipes from other sites if they are formatted correctly).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

I just got a new phone and I'm really missing the Power Control app that came with the stock launcher with my Nexus 4. How do I get it back?

Download Power Toggles? What do you need to toggle that isn't in the drop-down shade?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Data thieves must be getting desperate if they are mugging people in the street for the personal data.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

vyst posted:

drat I have 3. FB, Google, Microsoft

Amazon just started doing 2FA.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Yep, Unified Remote is fantastic. Looks like they finally updated it to work with the Windows 10 Netflix app too.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Pvt. Parts posted:

I use Deliveries Package Tracker which does all the things you are looking for AFAIK. I'm a paid subscriber so I can have it connected to my Amazon account and automatically pull orders.

Just downloaded this, unlocked it, and found out that it apparently doesn't yet work with Amazon's 2FA security. :(

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

XIII posted:

I seriously think it's me and one other person that uses BeyondPod, but I love it and can't see myself switching anytime soon. Pocket Casts is nice, but lacks some of the options that I've gotten used to. Podcast Addict is nice and would be the most likely to take the top slot, but I'm admittedly so used to BeypndPod that it's not worth switching.

I'm the other guy that uses it (I think I'm the most vocal about it). I use it because I'm a niche case where Beyondpod does exactly what I need it to while Pocket Casts couldn't. I know all of the ins and outs of the app so I don't have any problems with it.

Kheldarn posted:

OK, so we know that ES File Explorer is now garbage. What's a good replacement? I don't care about root, because I'm not rooted, and I don't care about material design, because I find it ugly.

Also, webcast apps. Pfft! I don't have anything to do with webcasts. :smug:
Solid Explorer has been the better option for years.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

So does Pushbullet non-pro just not give desktop notifications at all now? I was under the impression that it would have notifications but didn't allow you to interact with them on the phone, but I'm not getting any at all anymore.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hotsauce posted:

With Chrome allowing Facebook notifications, there is zero legit reason to use the actual app any longer.

Unless you are 13 and live on FB I guess.

13 year olds live on Twitter and Instagram and Snapchat. Middle aged women live on Facebook.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Mikl posted:

Wierd request of the day: is there an app that works as a speedometer, with audio cues that would help me keep a steady speed? I would set a speed, let's say 10 mph, and when I get below 9.5 mph it says "speed up" and when I get above 10.5 mph it says "slow down".

My 20 seconds on the play store got me to this, though it sounds like you should just be using your cruise control.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Before you drop $5 on the pro version, know that it doesn't work with Amazon two-factor auth logins, and won't for the foreseeable future.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

rotaryfun posted:

Oh and I've also forbid her to swap her font to comic sans. She's a grownup for fucks sake.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Uthor posted:

One thing I've noticed is that the quick dialer doesn't support multiple phone numbers, just the first. So, I can call home, but not my mom's cell phone.

Can you use voice actions to say "call mom cell"?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Like DemonMage, I find the navigation to be quite limiting unless they finally got rid of that awful two pane limitation it used to have.

I feel like I've asked you this before, but what kind of things are you doing in a file explorer that require more than 2 panes?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

To be fair I'm not doing anything that requires even one pane anymore. It's just a silly restriction to have when every other file browser has a pane for everything. It's just more logical to me for there to be a pane for SMB, one for cloud services, one for the phone, etc.

More logical to have five panes dedicated to one thing each that you have to flip through rather than 2 panes that can do anything?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Perhaps but to me this seems like way, way, way more annoying than just finding the willpower to force yourself out of bed. And I get it, I am not a morning person at all, my alarm clock has a 20 minute snooze and goes off an hour before I have to get up for work but by the third alarm but it seems like at some point as an adult you have to be able to say to yourself that I have, have, have, absolutely get my rear end out of bed when the alarm goes off, no games, no taking cute photos, this is real life.

If you're going to will yourself out of bed, shouldn't you just do it after the first snooze so you can get an extra 40 minutes of sleep?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Your principles are making your life a lot harder than it needs to be.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

dongsbot 9000 posted:

theres like a billion messenger apps e.g. facebook, whatsapp, groupme, wechat, skype, aim, etc.

Hangouts...

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

It should be mentioned that this is just like last year's offer and I think the 2GB expire in about a year so if you did it then, you can re-up.

I don't think it expires. I couldn't find any reference to it expiring, and the only thing showing up with an expiration date in my storage graph is the 50gb Motorola promotion.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Qylvaran posted:

Cool. I'll give it a try.

One more question: Is there a way to convince Maps to rotate so that up is the direction I'm headed while retaining the top-down perspective? My options seem to be top-down with a fixed compass orientation, or pseudo-3D.

I'm pretty sure you just tap the compass.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Thanks for the reply but the question still stands

But you already answered your own question. You're not rooted and you don't want to be, but without root, you can not automate the data toggle or airplane mode. Maybe if you explained why you are trying to do this, someone could figure out a workaround.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Something started recently that makes me want to fastball my phone.

I'll go to hangouts via notification, start typing my reply, and all of a sudden in the middle of typing it flips to the Hangouts splash screen and says "signing in" and drops me back into the conversation list instead of the conversation I was in the middle of typing in.

Anyone else have this start happening recently?

This has been happening to me too off and on for a couple weeks. Figured it was just my phone screwing up.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Hey Thermopyle, was it you that was complaining about Hangouts crashing? Are you using Swype?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

That all sounds like exactly how Chrome already works for me.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Pretty sure that's a gmail issue. If I read an email on my phone, it'll still show up as unread on my desktop for a few minutes.

edit: and there does seem to be an issue with Doze and Hangouts. If I leave my phone just sitting there for a while, Moto Display will show that I have new messages until I turn the screen on, then they disappear.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Google Keyboard got a huge update today. Rather than list out all the changes, I'm just going to link to the Reddit discussion about it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I thought you could always install the Google Dialer on whatever device you wanted, but certain features only worked on Nexus devices.

edit: maybe I'm just remembering people sideloading it

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Humerus posted:

I have a question about Nova launcher, let me know if I should take it to another thread.
I just downloaded Nova and I set the grid to 5x5 with no padding for height/width, and the icons seem incredibly far apart. They definitely look smaller than stock, which is fine, but I'd rather see them all clustered together (if that makes sense?). I don't currently have the paid Nova but I'm not opposed to buying it if that will help.

Icon Layout lets you change the icon size and the font size.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Deeters posted:

Any good simple widgets that show battery percentage, with time to charge/drain? Seems like there's a lot of bloatware crap in this category.

Don't you get battery percentage if you drag the notification bar down, and get time to charge/drain if you click on it?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

The downside to the Dropbox solution of course is that if you accidentally delete the photos from Dropbox, they'll just disappear from the NAS.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Play Store credit is supposed to use the expiration date of the most recent "promotional credit", so unless you haven't done a survey in a year, stuff shouldn't be expiring.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Yeah Facebook Messenger is great. I wish Hangouts would implement chat heads on Android like they did for the Chrome extension. That's one of the best things about FBM.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

dissss posted:

I don't see the appeal of chart heads at all, they just get in the way and provide absolutely no advantage over a proper Android notification. Worse the FB Messenger app randomly decides to turn them back on for me after it updates.

Well, now that Hangouts lets you reply from the notification, it's a little different, except that if you have messages from more than one person, then you can't reply from the notification anymore. I get so many messages in hangouts that it just becomes a pain switching back and forth between apps when the chat head is so much faster.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Speaking of Swiftkey, is there any way to get the Voice button as a primary button instead of a secondary button?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

fishmech posted:

When there's some other text message service that's insalled on literally all working phones.

and already has an icon on the homescreen, and just works without having to sign up or sign in to anything.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

In Poweramp any way to exclude podcasts / certain folders? Using Antenna Pod. Cheers.

If you stick a file called .nomedia in the folder you want to exclude, it should keep the system from looking for media in it. Your podcast app should still see the files because it's specifically looking for them there.

edit: feels like it's 2011 all over again

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Tunga posted:

Is Hangouts on Android acting like completely unusable garbage for anyone else? I'm not sure what causes but the entire app becomes slow to respond and hitting send on a message will cause it to just disappear and then it may or may not ever show up in the conversation. If I keep a conversation open for too long the entire app will just restart itself and any of these now invisible messages that I'm waiting for it to send will be lost. Sometimes it works fine but most of the time it's like this. Restarting the app doesn't help, clearing cache/data doesn't help, no idea what else to even try. I found one thread on the product forum from some people who think it is caused by Android Wear but haven't been able to confirm that yet. My friend has the same behaviour and claims she has seen it when her watch was not connected.

Yeah it's been pretty lovely lately, slow to open and crashing every once in a while.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Luchadork posted:

If/when RCS becomes the messaging standard, wouldn't that likely eliminate a lot of the need for a "IM" client like Hangouts anyhow?

Theoretically yes, but it's still a big 'if' in regards to RCS ever becoming a standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

As of Version 11, Hangouts will no longer merge SMS and Hangouts messages together because they were "confusing".