Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Admiral_eX_laX posted:

Is there an app that does this?

I get mugged, mugger demands i give him password to phone. I give him a dummy password that he enters. The phone unlocks briefly, enough for him to take off. The phone then emails me a picture of mugger, then locks down.
No, but you can remotely reset your password or wipe your device using Google Device Manager.

Also I'm pretty sure the situation you're describing is not actually a thing that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

I don't use Google Keep a whole lot, but sometimes my girlfriend and I share shopping lists and whatnot using it. Whenever items are shared I get both an email and a mobile push notification.

How the gently caress do I disable email notification for this? It's kind of annoying.
I didn't even know it supported notifications, I've never received anything when a shared list is edited, email or push, and I don't see any option for it.

The Google Way.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh I think he means whenever a new list is shared? I think that does appear as both.

I don't think there is a fix but you could easily just set up a rule in Gmail to auto-trash the email.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

program666 posted:

System Data is probably the android OS right? It seems to occupy a tad over 5GB of my 8GB internal storage, is this normal?
Yes and yes.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Reggie Died posted:

I just got a small pack for a specific situation (easily forward calls to land line when entering basement home office with horrible cell reception). Unfortunately, that seems to be the only meaningful NFC tag task/trigger I can come up with. Does anyone else use them?
I have a couple set so that Android-using guests can just beep-boop a tag to join my Wi-Fi. That's the only use I've found.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 11, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

beerinator posted:

Edit: Could you buy a google music subscription for yourself and add her via the new "family plan?" Then when she figures out who you really are, you might be able to cancel her part of the account?
Definitely look at this if you're both going to be subscribing as it's cheaper than two individual subs and you can add six people to it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Authenticator+ is so good with a Wear device. I thought I'd miss Authy's Chrome app but I just don't and it's so convenient on the watch.
How does the watch know that you need a code? Do you have to navigate through the app launcher list and then wait for the app to launch and then scroll through accounts and...this sounds horrible basically. Partly because I have a 360 and it's slow, mind.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

I need to look into Chrome notifications for Mobile Facebook and see how reliable that is and I may just ditch the app completely (or just use it for easy photo sharing).
They work perfectly for me and not at all for my friend which is about what I expect from both Google and Facebook :shrug: .

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Android 6.1 release notes:
* Fixed a typo, Google Now is now correctly named Google Mow.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've never had to bother with one until now, but it looks like I need a good call blocking app. For some reason, it's not native in Android, and it's not part of Motorola's light-skinning.

It seems to closest thing I can do is add the number as a contact, then send them straight to voicemail...but that's not good enough, because they leave voicemails. For the record, it's a collections agency for whoever had this number before me, and no amount of telling them they have the wrong number works.
Google Dialer can now block calls without the contact workaround, there's an option for it, Settings -> Call blocking.

You can't stop it going to voicemail because your network handles that, now your phone. Call your network and ask them to block the number.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

My phone has the Moto dialer...I search for Google or Android Dialer and I get links to the Hangouts dialer...not the same thing, right? That's like a VIOP dialer? Is there somewhere I can sideload the apk?
I can't remember if it's available for other devices but it's on Play as Phone or you can get it from APK Mirror. It looks like it might be Marshmallow only.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Whizbang posted:

They do anyways, you're just forcing them to use more of your battery to do it.
GPS is the most battery intensive method of determining your location, so not really. But more relevantly, Google's location reporting/history only uses GPS if another app is requesting a GPS-level location (e.g. Maps is open), otherwise it just uses Wi-Fi/cell. So turning GPS off doesn't cause more battery use.

But it also doesn't achieve anything and is pointless, so we do basically agree.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 15, 2016

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

what the hell does Having Fun at Work -> Dancing At Your Desk mean?
If you don't know, your job sucks.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Imagine using a Microsoft product by choice. The face you're making when doing that is "disgust".
I'm imagining using C# every day instead of Java 7 and my face is the opposite of disgust.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shuffle posted:

Is there an app that disables the ability to delete contacts

My 68yr old father just got his first smartphone. a S6 Active
They get him all set up at the store show him some basic stuff I assume as I wasn't there, luckily they set him up with a gmail account

He accidentally deletes his contacts all the time. At least 5 times since he got it 2 weeks ago. I've shown him multiple times how to restore it from gmail but he just doesn't get it.

so is there an app that'll help prevent this?
No. Sorry but I'm pretty sure that simply cannot exist as it would require modification of an existing application.

I feel like I'm pretty tolerant when it comes to users and UX issues but this is pretty bizarre. What exactly is he doing to delete them? This should involve several very deliberate and obvious steps including selecting "Delete" from an Overflow menu or maybe tapping on a garbage can after tapping on a pencil or something like that.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shuffle posted:

I think what happens is he tries to scroll and does this on the edge near the overflow menu.
You probably already know this but just try to teach him to slow the gently caress down and look at what he is doing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PokeJoe posted:

Would it be annoying if I plugged my own apps here? They're free and I'm mostly looking for feedback on them.
Nope, we like a nice goon app round these parts.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Syrinxx posted:

Since hating on the FB app seems to be the sentiment of the day, how are you guys sharing photos/links/etc to Facebook after you have the app uninstalled?
I am not doing that.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

Whenever that question comes up the general consensus is don't bother cos all phone pedometers are poo poo
It's this. I wrote a pedometer proof-of-concept once and the sensor data is just worthless. Android Wear does a better job, or just get a Fitbit or whatever.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

Have you tried it with your new phone? It was on an n5 you did it before wasn't it?

Curious more than anything else
I've not run it on my 6P but I can't imagine it's any better. Source is here if anyone wants to try it.

(Also wow two-years ago me was bad at gradle.)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Android Police says you can stack it up to five years of subscription. But no Family Plan discounts.

Thermopyle posted:

There's a Google developer who posts on G+ about the new stuff that keeps coming to the Google+ web edition, but I forget who it is. Anyone know who I'm talking about?
This guy?
https://plus.google.com/+LukeWroblewski

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's the good syncing 2FA app that some people here use that isn't Authy, is it Authenticator Plus? For some stupid reason the Authy app is locked to portrait which makes it useless on my Pixel C so I'm going to need to finally get around to switching.

Is there any easy way to import my existing accounts or do I have to do the disable/enable dance on all my services?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

There were a handful that it didn't even detect (Facebook being the most glaringly obvious), but it did better than I expected for a non-root solution. Backup remains Google's biggest missing feature.
If you're interested: Helium is just a Wrapper for ADB backup which an app can explicitly exclude itself from. Google Authenticator, for example, does so and that kind of makes from a security perspective. I don't know why Facebook would be excluded but I imagine it's probably because Facebook actively hate their users. So this isn't a bug or flaw in Helium, it's actually the intended behaviour.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Does that let you swipe up from the home button to get to Google Now like before if you disable Now on Tap?
Yes. Well, long press Home takes you direct to Now if you have On Tap disabled. The swipe up gesture doesn't exist any more.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chromatic posted:

What app for browsing these forums does everyone recommend?
There are only two options: Awful and Something. The former has more features, the latter is pretty trimmed down but seems to generate less bug reports. Try both and decide.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hangouts uploads a low quality version first and then the full version, so if you look immediately you'll get the crappy version but after a little delay the full one shows up. On a lovely 3G connection this can take longer. It works the same at both ends.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Amppelix posted:

After two years of owning Android devices, I think I finally want a weather app that isn't just Google Now's weather. Mostly for stapling a widget onto my home screen.
I use Arcus, have been happy with it, widget is nice.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Is there an easy, non-root way to get my phone to turn down its ringer volume when I get to work and turn it back up when I leave? Location based would be best, but creating a time based rule would be acceptable. I don't want my phone to go silent, I just don't need it blaring at full volume when other people are working.
Llama or Tasker will both do it. I do this (except silent, but same principle) with Tasker and I base it on whether it can see my work Wi-Fi network since it's more reliable than location/time.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if this is related to whatever plans they have for supporting side-by-side tabs on N. Because currently that isn't possible and it feels like a gaping omission so I'd imagine they are going to add it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is Hangouts on Android acting like completely unusable garbage for anyone else? I'm not sure what causes but the entire app becomes slow to respond and hitting send on a message will cause it to just disappear and then it may or may not ever show up in the conversation. If I keep a conversation open for too long the entire app will just restart itself and any of these now invisible messages that I'm waiting for it to send will be lost. Sometimes it works fine but most of the time it's like this. Restarting the app doesn't help, clearing cache/data doesn't help, no idea what else to even try. I found one thread on the product forum from some people who think it is caused by Android Wear but haven't been able to confirm that yet. My friend has the same behaviour and claims she has seen it when her watch was not connected.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Hangouts used to randomly lock up every so often and double/triple send/receive texts. So I switched to Textra. Highly recommend it.
95% of my Hangouts usage is Hangouts, not SMS, because I am not a caveman.

LastInLine posted:

It's been fine for me and I use it a lot, though I don't do anything with Wear beyond reading the most recent notification (no replying or loading the conversation).
Same, I don't use the Wear integration at all beyond reading the odd notification. I have no idea what it is but it's pretty lovely, it started a couple of months back for both me and my friend.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Manky posted:

Arrow Launcher is my new favorite.
Shouldn't this be called "Bow"?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

Subscriptions don't transfer cross platform. You'd need to contact the developer
Read it again, says Android to Android.

There's usually a "check purchase" option in the settings somewhere that should find your subscription again.

Edit: Just looked, can't see anything in Dark Sky. Are you logged into the same Google account in the Play Store on both phones?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone using Google Play Family sharing? It says that my payment method is invalid and therefore won't let me share any apps. But the card works fine for buying stuff and no amount of switching the family payment method or re-entering card details makes any difference. Anyone else got this?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I've seen it before and I was forced to email Google support.

I just went here: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/6286986
Clicked on Contact Us on the top right. You can request either a chat or a call.
That was my plan but every time I look the Chat and Call options both say they are closed despite claiming to be open 24/7.

Anyway at least I know it's a thing they can fix, thanks.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Same. And for the desktop part, the third-party Google Play Music Desktop Player is great and there's even an Android app to control that from your phone. Though the regular website is entirely usable for desktop as well.

Just wish YouTube Red would roll out in the UK and that they would fix the stupid bug where it mixes uploaded album tracks together with Google's own tracks.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Google really squandered all their goodwill with the public with Buzz
At least where I am (UK) the general public have no idea what Buzz is and certainly don't give a poo poo about anything that Google may have done with it ten years ago or whatever. Was this really a big thing outside of tech circles in the US?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NihilCredo posted:

I upgraded from KitKat to Marshmallow and the one thing I really can't stand is the new, Rolodex-like app switcher.
I hated it for about a week and now it seems fine, so maybe give it a chance. I still prefer the old style with depth I guess but I don't notice it any more. You can't change this with an app anyway so you're stuck with it unless you go down the root fuckery route.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rotaryfun posted:

I wonder if it will be replacing the google chat in gmail. I use that to talk to my wife all day without having to get my phone out of the desk.

Google has no idea what the gently caress they want.
No because that is Hangouts and Hangouts is staying as a business tool and Gmail is also a business tool.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sad Panda posted:

I get one every single day I walk past the Waitrose in town.
This happened when I moved house, I would get them every few days, but then it seemed to suss out after a while that I actually just walk past it twice a day. Even though I do also go into Waitrose fairly regularly as well, it doesn't ask me any more. Though I will get maybe one a week about a random other shop in the same centre that I also walk past every day. Works for me.