Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What makes Fleksy better than SwiftKey?

Thermopyle posted:

Photo Gallery
QuickPic used to be the top-most pick I think, but it got bought by some Chinese company that doesn’t have the best reputation. I don’t know much about this.
  • Google Photos: Advanced deep learning (see also this which isn’t directly applicable to a gallery app, but is cool) makes searching for photos like “me and my dog at the park” work amazingly well. Of course, you have to upload your photos and videos to the cloud. Also does very cool stuff like automatically make “stories” from your vacation, or animated gifs from series of photos.
  • I don’t know anything about any other gallery apps!

Piktures is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Also isnt ES explorer full of chinese spyware or something?

Is it? :ohdear:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

spincube posted:

I'd imagine this would be a perfect use for either OneNote or Evernote. Bonus being you can futz around with the recipes using the PC client as well.

That's what I use (Evernote), but I keep my stuff very minimalist and I don't store a lot of recipes. There's nothing like adjusting servings or making shopping lists, which I'd imagine other programs could provide.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LastInLine posted:

One thing I don't think I could give up about Nova is swipe actions for the dock.

In Apex, I just got rid of the dock altogether. Never really found the need to have the same shortcuts on multiple screens, especially since I only have two of them

Apex hasn't been updated in months, however. Since we'll before Marshmallow came out. That has me worried...

Thermopyle posted:

I switched from Authy to that Authenticator Plus mentioned in the OP. It was a Good Decision.

I don't use Authenticator much (can't decide between it and using SMS), but setting it up on a new phone is a huge PITA. I'm also worried about losing my phone.

Can you just import the db to a new device no problems if you lose your current phone?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I think Steam forces you to use their app, too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skywalker OG posted:

They want you to use the app, but they still do it with sms.

Can I ask how you set that up? I'm looking at my Steam Guard settings now and have the choices of "app", "email", and "off". I don't see SMS.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

In Google Calendar, if you hide a specific calendar, does it not give you alerts for that calendar? I have a daily "appointment" created that I want to be alerted to, but I don't want to see a big block of time marked off for every day of the week.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It does sort by size, just not right away. It'll first give you a list of all the apps, then (slowly) populate the sizes, then, after a few while, sort by size.

If it still doesn't, hit the hamburger menu and select "sort by size".

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Oh, cool. I'm using Apex because the one thing I want that Nova charges for (hiding apps in the app drawer) is free on Apex, but I've been concerned by the lack of updates the last five months.

Is there a way to import Apex settings into Nova? Not that I heavily customize, but it'd save some work.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yay, not "OK Google" works again and the home screen search bar is the newest Marshmallow design!

One question: is there a way to hide the folder labels when you open a folder of apps on the home screen? I have labels turned off everywhere else and it's annoying me to see labels there. Ironically, I can hide the labels of the apps in the folder, not the folder itself.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

XIII posted:

What I've done to "fix" this in the past is simply put a space in the name.

Well, that's not perfect, but it'll do.

Typing just a space is surprisingly difficult with SwiftKey when you have it set to input the next prediction when you hit the space bar!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have the circles turned off, but when I long press, sometimes it will highlight the email and show the archive/delete/unread icons, but when I let go, it will open the email. It's like the graphics have the time to change, but I'm not holding it down long enough for program to actually register it as a long press.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Jinx!

I don't recall it being mentioned, but you can get three months of Google Play Music and YouTube Red for $1 right now.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

FredMSloniker posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a good 'doodle on tablets' app? Ease of use and of sharing are key.

I have Autodesk SketchBook - draw and paint and SketchBook Express installed. They both seem decent sketching programs with similar tool and options. I can't really tell you why Autodesk maintains two apps that do the same thing, just with slightly different layouts. I'm not really an artist, but they seem like quality apps.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

hooah posted:

I just need it this once so I can have a friend pick up the package, so the free version is just fine.

Amazon's Android app gives you delivery notifications.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't use Facebook other than for one friend who insists on messaging me through them. Life is good.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Will Google sell two different lawn mowers with incompatible parts, then suddenly discontinue one right before introducing a third mower?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't, but I've heard ads for Texture (used to be Next Issue), which does the "Netflix for magazines" thing.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nim.discovery

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Tunga posted:

You can't stop it going to voicemail because your network handles that, now your phone. Call your network and ask them to block the number.

You can answer and hang up immediately, which is what I think a lot of apps do.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Tunga posted:

I can't remember if it's available for other devices but it's on Play as Phone or you can get it from APK Mirror. It looks like it might be Marshmallow only.

Sadly, I think it's Nexus only.

EDIT:

quote:

This app update is supported on Nexus, Android One and Google Play Edition devices running Android Marshmallow and above.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Has anyone used AutoMate? It's a program that turns your phone into an Android Auto clone. Seems cool, but I don't use my phone much while driving, so I haven't had a chance to play with it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitspice.automate

It does maps (swipe from the left for nearby places like gas stations), phone calls, controls your audio, and gives you Google notification style info related to driving (weather, speed, etc).

One thing I've noticed is that the quick dialer doesn't support multiple phone numbers, just the first. So, I can call home, but not my mom's cell phone.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 9, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Can you use voice actions to say "call mom cell"?

Yeah, that works.
"Call Home"
"Home or mobile?"
"Mobile"

(I have a contact named "Home" with both a home number and a cell number.)

"Call Home mobile" did not seem to work.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

fishmech posted:

Turning off the GPS radio isn't really advisable.

Why not? I use GPS maybe once a month. Though I guess I use it a few times a week when I bike during the summer.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

fishmech posted:

Because it's not accomplishing anything of worth to turn it off. Just let it be enabled.

But it's not accomplishing anything of worth being left on, either. I still don't see why it's inadvisable to turn off a function that isn't being used 99.97% of the time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Because stop futzing with your phone ya big doof

But I don't want an iPhone!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

XIII posted:

I hope no one tells Google about what I use my reddit app for...

Or the Awful app...

:fap:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've been trying for a year to get it to stop telling me about new episodes of Gotham. Long story short: you're up to Google's mercy.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

If you own a car, Torque to go with a $20 OBD2 reader to read fault codes and sensor data.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Speaking of alarm clocks, Microsoft just released one for Android.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.mimickeralarm

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/21/10806410/microsoft-mimicker-alarm-android-app-features

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Montalvo posted:

I've been using Apex Launcher Pro for ages. Is it worth me switching to something else? I mostly just like having the option to apply different icon themes, I don't use many other functions.

I switched from Apex to Nova almost completely because Apex hasn't had any updates in months. I also had issues with OK Google detection not working on the homepage.

Nova seems easier to modify, but Apex has a few visual flairs that I miss.

Three Olives posted:

I'm I the only one that vastly prefers the Google Now launcher over Nova and Launcher Pro? It felt like both offered way, way too much customization options that I would have to endlessly dick with to get it to my liking where Google Now is basically featureless but clean and easy to use.

I don't really use Google Now, so swiping left to get to it was just annoying. I also dislike how little "density" it has in how many icons you can get on the screen. I like using the alternate launchers solely to add another row of icons.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 22, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Sure, its the same apps I have in folders on my home screen but I've launched apps from it enough times to say I guess I kinda get it.

Oh, yeah, the other thing I like about custom launchers is hiding apps in the app drawer. I hide everything that's on my home screen and apps I don't use (system apps, apps for things that run in the background that you don't interact with). Makes the app drawer more like a scrolling folder to catch all the infrequently used apps without having to scroll through everything.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

Does anyone here use an app and an On Board Diagnostic (OBD) tool on their car? Looking for suggestions.

Torque and one of these. It's what everyone on AI recommends.

BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_TDnPwb4C9XCH5

It's solely for diagnostics. Reads/resets codes and gives you live data from the sensors. If you want a connected app that keeps data about your driving habits, that's something else.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

myron cope posted:

I use the desktop app all the time and it's goddamn excellent. Like really, really good.

I use the app at work and like it, especially the ability to link to PDFs on the local network (lets me make an index to frequently accessed references instead of having to remember what 11FMAX1 actually is). The one thing I don't like is if you make sub-sub-pages, you can't collapse them down to the sub-page.

I use Evernote at home and on my phone for various things, though it's probably overkill, to be honest. Mainly use it to archive user manuals and recipes.

I also like OneDrive, though their raising of prices may make me reconsider that position.

I hear good things about Outlook for people that don't use Gmail.

Bing is okay and gives me ~$5 in rewards, so Microsoft is literally paying me to use it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I find that keeping tasks in a list is useless for me. It's just too easy to ignore the list altogether! I generally use calendar reminders that give me a notification to remind me that I need to do something.

(Which is why I dislike the change to Google Calendar to where the notifications now go away automatically if you don't act on them within an hour or so.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Google Calendar now has reminders which don't go away until you mark them as done.

I will play with that, thanks!

Can you not see/create/edit them on the web? I spent all of 15 seconds looking and don't see anything.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

MediaMonkey has some syncing between their desktop and Android apps.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I use Dropbox for files, OneDrive for documents and photos, and BitTorrent Sync for videos and comics. :unsmith:

Uthor fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 1, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm not worried that Microsoft will kill SwiftKey, though maybe incorporate the technology in a new Microsoft branded app. My only real concern for the app is that functionality/customization options will get stripped out.

I hope they use the technology to build in some system wide autocorrect into Windows. I've often wished that I had SwiftKey when typing on my PC since I'm so used to it on my phone.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Teeter posted:

Google Latitude was phased out and the location sharing feature was rolled in to Google+. Is there any way to have that integrated with the regular Maps app and not require going through G+ to view?

What are you trying to do? I can share my current location through both Google Messenger and Google Hangouts. I can also share whatever location from the share menu within Google Maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ah, okay. Sounds like iOS's Find My Friends, then. I hadn't actually used Latitude, so I wasn't aware that it could do that.