Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My Dad bought an old restored 442 once, and I remember being thoroughly disappointed when i drove it and it shattering my dreams of old muscle cars being the pinnacle of the automotive enthusiast. It drove like dog poo poo, and now every time I see an old muscle car I think wow that's a gorgeous car, but it drives like a sack of dog poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Volkswagen/Audi/Skoda models with the DSG - they were so hyped up and sound so good in theory that it makes the reality of them all the more disappointing. And that's without even factoring the long term reliability question marks.

2004(ish) Audi S4 - it's a heavy 4wd car so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that it drove like one, but from the reviews I was expecting a lot more. I'd much rather have a Legacy wagon TBH

Chrysler 300c - not for how it drove (which is exactly like you'd expect) but for how unpleasant and cramped it is inside considering the massive external dimensions.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Frank Dillinger posted:

BMW 850Ci. I bought it because it was cheap and good looking, but its not that fast, not that comfortable, doesn't handle that well, and every repair I've had to do on it wasn't fun. Its only saving grace is long road trips. I did an 800K trip in 7.5 hours, and it was easily the fastest/most relaxed trip I've had. great looks, disappointing performance. not like people bought these for the performance, but still.

I guess that's what you get for settling for less than the CSi, then.

leica posted:

My Dad bought an old restored 442 once, and I remember being thoroughly disappointed when i drove it and it shattering my dreams of old muscle cars being the pinnacle of the automotive enthusiast. It drove like dog poo poo, and now every time I see an old muscle car I think wow that's a gorgeous car, but it drives like a sack of dog poo poo.

The 442 is an A-body, so rest assured that there is a sizable aftermarket to fix that situation. Stock 40-year-old suspensions aren't the best, though, I'll give you that.

I haven't driven more than a handful of cars, and so nothing has been a huge letdown for me. Probably the only thing that counts is the 2011ish corolla that work rented for me once. I don't drive modern cars too often, but I was expecting it to be an adequate, if bland, experience, much like my friend's '87 civic si. A functional appliance, although lacking any pretensions of "fun". But, due to the horrible DBW and automatic, it seemed like I had to coerce it to do anything at all. Terrible non-linear throttle response, and it didn't seem to understand what "enough" throttle means. None, so you get just about run into trying to merge into traffic, or balls out. Not very well behaved. Hated it, I don't know how anyone tolerates that kind of thing.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 17, 2015

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

blk posted:

You had high hopes in the first place?

Sorry, I missed the "high hopes" part when skimming the OP. That's my bad. :(

Edit: Last I heard though, it did fulfill it's mission and run some 200k+ miles...

...just very slowly.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 17, 2015

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
My first car, a 2000 Mazda Protege. It was a 5 speed but with the worst shifter I've used to date. It would miss gears and I'd often have to jiggle the stick to get it to pop into 3rd. It ate alternators due to a poor tensioner design, but that would be okay if the quickest way to remove the alternator wasn't drop the subframe about an inch. It had absolutely nothing in common with earlier proteges so finding parts was a total bitch.

Other than that, Great Wall have the most disappointing SUVs ever made, I think. Their Ranger knock-off looked decent, so I thought maybe it wouldn't be too bad when I got to ride in their Equinox knock-off. Everything is made of cheap plastic, the gaps between the panels are huge. Despite being a monstrous SUV there's no room inside, especially in the front seats. The seats themselves sit bizarrely upright and the whole driving experience is strange. There's poor visibility, and pretty large blind spots. They're turbo diesels but you'd be hard pressed to tell. The turbo takes forever to spool up and they don't produce any power until it does. Accelerating takes forever, you spend a good 4-5 seconds off the line crawling along and waiting for the turbo to spool. When it finally does then you're catapulted to 50km/h relatively quickly! It would give an '84 Corolla 3 speed a run for its money, for sure. Best part though has got to be the latch for the back hatch. Instead of using a solenoid for the power locks the Chinese reckoned it would be cheaper to use a servo and a tiny plastic swing-arm. There aren't any sensors to tell you if the door's not latched before it locks, so if you have a tool or some stuff slightly in the way of the door the car will try to lock itself until the servo burns out. My coworker's been through three of the servos so far.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

2013 VW GTI

A rather sterile, souless experience all around from this hot hatch. Sorry.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

blk posted:

Edit: "Disappointing" means that something you had high hopes for let you down

Okay, I'll try again. Back in 2006 I bought a 1991 Volvo 940 SE at salvage auction. It was my second project thread here on SA, where I welded in a section of the rocker panel and replaced a door. It was the top of the line model, gorgeous dark green with black leather, turbo 4 cylinder, and it only had 77k miles on it. I intended to keep that car till it died, and even sold a great '94 940 turbo that I had already reworked to buy this one.

It had an idle vibration that I could not eliminate, and it drove me absolutely nuts. I replaced motor mounts, tranny mount, exhaust, harmonic balancer, idle motor, literally everything I could think of that would cause an annoying vibration and it never went away. I talked to a couple Volvo mechanics who both said the '91 SE had chronic vibrations that they'd never heard of solutions for.

Unfortunately I was only then getting back into cars after a long drought and I lost patience with it. Sold it at a loss and moved on to the 2nd gen 9 series.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I forget what year it was but the Lamborghini Gallardo. I've had my hands on a bunch of exotics over the years and this one was my first Lambo. I had seen others in my life, notably a Countach when I was a kid, and first impressions were "holy poo poo, that's tiny" and "it looks like a melted jelly bean". Driving it was no better. I was expecting supercar brutality on acceleration and we had Mustangs on the property that pulled harder.

I was pretty good friends with the dealer who was selling it and I told him straight up that I wouldn't pay what his floor was even if he threw in a Corvette.

e- I was far more impressed by a Ferrari 456 than that piece, if that says anything

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 17, 2015

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
My 00 Suzuki Vitara 4door 4x4.

I honestly really really enjoyed my parents' first gen Suzuki Sidekick (96? I don't remember) and for a while it was like the best parts of a Sidekick with enough actual power to go highway speeds.

Until I tried to drive it in snow and the aluminum diff case in the front cracked in half. :argh:

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 17, 2015

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Ripoff posted:

I'm in a 2014 and yeah, I can see where your disappointment in the "zoom zoom" comes from. Was yours an automatic, by chance? I was a loving idiot and bought an automatic on the advice of my coworkers due to moving to a new town, and holy gently caress it makes that poor car feel even more lethargic.

Yes, it was an automatic rental car. Less zoom zoom than any other car I have ever rented.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Probably a late 90s V6 Mustang. Incredibly cramped interior, painfully underpowered even with the 5 speed. I kept banging my knee on the center console, and I'm only 5'7.

I didn't have very high hopes for it to begin with, but godDAMN it was just terrible.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'll tentatively add the entire Nissan 350Z / 370Z / G35 / G37 line to the list too, only because I haven't ever actually been behind the wheel of one, but as a passenger I find them immensely uncomfortable. I could almost forgive it in the 350Z, but even the G35/37 sedans I've ridden in have felt cramped as gently caress.

I've driven both a 350Z and a G35 copue. The G35 belonged to my dad, and was the first or second year of them. I don't know if he was just too cheap when he replaced the tires, but even sneezing on the throttle made the rear end end kick out. Plus, really uncomfortable and cramped overall.

I forget what year the 350Z was - it belonged to a friend who was in town for a funeral - but he said it was the last year of the 350. I could barely see over the dash, and I'm not THAT short. Same cramped feeling as the G35, though it was a hell of a lot more predictable even if you stomped it. The clutch was also a bitch and a half, with engagement points that kept changing with every shift... though as it turns out the slave cylinder was on its way out. Slave took a poo poo on him the next day right after he got back home - got Nissan to warranty it since it had 30k, but the clutch was completely destroyed as well, so he was on the hook for a good chunk of it (he'd only had the car a couple of months by then, and he's never owned an automatic, so probably PO abuse).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Rental V6 charger, probably a 2010 or 2011. Its ego was writing cheques its body couldn't cash.

Also, while it doesn't fit the list because I had no expectations for it, the rental PT Cruiser I had was even worse than my already abysmal expectations. Good lord that was a miserable car.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 17, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Raluek posted:

The 442 is an A-body, so rest assured that there is a sizable aftermarket to fix that situation. Stock 40-year-old suspensions aren't the best, though, I'll give you that.

I'm sure a restomod with modern suspension and steering would be much better. But a straight up restored A body drives like garbage, the steering is the worst and the suspension makes it feel like you're piloting a boat in the water.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

This one isn't me personally but my father has been shopping for a 'new' car so I've been tagging along for the past couple of weekends.

For background he is going from a warm hatch (and older model Fiesta ST) to a mid-large sized sedan of some sort with an automatic transmission. One of the options was the 2005-2011 shape Lexus GS which he was quite keen on until he actually sat in one and couldn't fit without his head crammed against the sunroof. The look of astonishment on his face was quite something - he isn't that tall and the GS isn't a small car by any means so not fitting came as a total surprise.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

leica posted:

I'm sure a restomod with modern suspension and steering would be much better. But a straight up restored A body drives like garbage, the steering is the worst and the suspension makes it feel like you're piloting a boat in the water.

Yeah, they weren't built so much to turn but to get from stoplight to stoplight as fast as possible. Undersized sway bars (if even present), soft rubber bushings, low spring rates, garbage steering ratios, etc. If you were feeling spendy while ticking boxes at the dealership, maybe you'd spring for the front disc brakes. I can understand why someone would restore one of these cars to factory original, but at the same time I can't, you know?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Ferrari 430. Monster motor surrounded by a piece of poo poo - Literal FIAT and Lancia from the 70's parts bin. Seriously, I had a 1978 Lancia Beta and to see the exact same parts (like the washer bottle) on a supposed 300K car threw me immediately. It felt about as well built too. The flappy paddle gearbox was an abortion to use, it handled like a scared cat, numb and holy gently caress what the gently caress was this poo poo was all I could think - even pinging that glorious motor off the redline in fourth was frankly just a disappointment in how much I hated the rest of the car. It deserved better and it should have been a lot loving better. Parts bin cheap rear end trim and accessories is just completely inexcusable.

Oh and if you reverse it wrong, 30 grand clutch job required. WTF.

I'm also with a stock BRZ being disappointing - I'm not one of those who say it's slow but unless you wring the gently caress out of it it's a truly boring shitbox, which is 99% of the time. I couldn't wait to throw the keys back. On the other hand, if I wanted to mod the poo poo out of a car I'd get one as I've driven a 250Kw supercharged BRZ with a complete tyre / brake / suspension rework and that was a far different story. But this isn't a Most surprising car thread so I'll leave that there.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Raluek posted:

I guess that's what you get for settling for less than the CSi, then.

well, my 850 was 1500$, and CSis sell for like 25,000$, so :shobon:

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Challenger R/T at Carmax. Driving it for my GF who couldn't drive stick, so me, her, and a salesguy in the car.

Drove like a turd compared to the Mustang GT I had, also with a passenger.

Dodge Caliber from Carmax. Holy poo poo, this is "appliance" incarnate. I immediately traded it in for anything else - a "Jeep" patriot. Also poo poo but somehow not as bad because it was more barebones.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Space Whale posted:

Dodge Caliber from Carmax. Holy poo poo, this is "appliance" incarnate. I immediately traded it in for anything else - a "Jeep" patriot. Also poo poo but somehow not as bad because it was more barebones.

Aren't they exactly the same car?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm really worried that when I one day drive my childhood hero car of a red 1989 Celica GT-S it will actually be an enormous megaturd.

At this rate, though, I doubt I'll ever see one in a good enough state to roll on its own without splitting in half, so the problem might solve itself.

It's a 140hp engine in a 2750lb liftback with macphersons on all 4 corners. It won't be some eye-opening experience but they are fun to drive and, for a fwd car, are pretty easy to get the rear end out in. I fuckin adore the 86-89 Celica GT-S but I'm biased as hell since it was my first car.

On the other end of the spectrum the mid-2000s Corolla is probably the worst car I've ever drive. Horrible seating position, handled like poo poo, felt like you were driving a minivan with none of the benefits. The DBW throttle was completely awful.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

dissss posted:

Aren't they exactly the same car?

I don't know and honestly do not want to remember that entire experience at all :(

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

mafoose posted:

One of my sisters has a 3 speed prizm, and the other a 5 speed one.

They are completely different cars. The 5 speed is actually a decent commuter. The auto one is god awful. Both have A/Cs that work so good they'll freeze you out in the AZ summer. Both are also almost completely undrivable with it on.

When I was married, I drove my wife's grandfather's old 91 corolla around most days. It had the 5 speed and it was pretty zippy for what it was. The A/C did indeed freeze you out and it was a horrible turd when the A/C was turned on. I had to rev the everloving poo poo out of it to keep from stalling when the A/C was on. I loved that car, really. You could rev the piss out of it and drive it like you stole it, but still be doing legal speeds.

Having worked as a valet for 2 years, I have a pretty good library of cars to choose from. I'd have to say that the most disappointing car I ever drove was a Maserati Quattroporte. It was about 5 years old, had 32k miles, and the interior was absolutely falling apart. Shifts felt like getting kicked in the kidneys, none of the electronics worked right. It made all of the right noises, but it was such a poo poo pile to drive.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Rental 2003/4? Neon:

Interior by Rubbermaid™, bad handling and loving slow as poo poo wow. Also the seat was about as comfortable as a steel park bench.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I think there's still some people who don't understand what this thread is about.

This isn't the worst car I ever drove thread.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

El Scotch posted:

Also, while it doesn't fit the list because I had no expectations for it, the rental PT Cruiser I had was even worse than my already abysmal expectations. Good lord that was a miserable car.

PT Cruisers are the only cars I have ever refused to take at the rental counter. I had one as a rental in Boston once. ONCE.

It's a horrible underpowered rolling collection of blind spots. It would have lost a drag race to my N10 Datsun.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

New Camaro. (Probably '14, maybe '15).

It was a rental, it was a V6, but the new V6 mustangs are actually really great, and I thought the Camaro would be too.

Completely inconsequential driving experience. It didn't do anything well.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
If it really means car I thought would be fun and then was like wow nevermind then I'm gonna go with R56 Mini S

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
RX-8

I was really pumped when I finally got a chance to drive one but god drat what a turd. The high revving engine was cool but the power band sucks and I thought it was really uncomfortable. I don't know maybe I don't "get" rotaries but the experience was underwhelming.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Krakkles posted:

New Camaro. (Probably '14, maybe '15).

It was a rental, it was a V6, but the new V6 mustangs are actually really great, and I thought the Camaro would be too.

Completely inconsequential driving experience. It didn't do anything well.

I almost had a rental V6 Camaro in 2010. Fortunately they double-booked it and the other guy got there first, so they gave me a Coyote-powered Mustang. That was actually a fun car, though Ford apparently still can't build an automatic transmission that knows what the hell it's doing.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Subaru Impreza WRX. Drives like an idiot teenager's idea of what a moderately quick car should be. Harsh, cheap-feeling, understeery, comedy MPG for the performance, plus a well-deserved image problem.

They do understeer when braked hard in a straight line and then asked to turn in at low speed. You can however mostly fix this with geometry changes and it does at least reduce the risk of going backwards into road furniture. However, outside of those particular circumstances they aren't understeery unless you drive them like a RWD car. If you do, you will get the impression that they have terminal, hedge-seeking power-on understeer.

If on the other hand you drive an Impreza more like a 306 Rallye, you will find that a healthy one will quite happily corner with its tail leading and all four wheels drifting. Carry speed, trail brake into corner until it breaks away (above ~50 mph, depending on rubber, you don't need any brake, just carry speed then lift on turn-in and it will instantly walk the tail out) then convert with lots of throttle and maintain your slide. Control the angle with little (or big, if you're talented) inputs from wheel and throttle and don't jump out of the throttle. They all love to slide and are very controllable.

Here, for example, is Evo's long term test WRX doing some of that well known Impreza understeer.

The disappointing part of WRX ownership, I suspect, is when the ringlands go ping-crunch and simultaneously one or more big end bearings evaporate.

For content - I haven't been disappointed by a car (you can pretty much tell when they're going to suck), but every BMW GS has disappointed me. Oh it's a wonderful touring bike that does off-road and you can get your knee down, says every journalist writing from a medium-sized roundabout near Peterborough. Whereas my experience of all of them is they're the size of a boat (or an Elefant, if you will) and feel it, have less wind protection than the RT and just feel slightly worrying in anything other than a well-surfaced, medium speed corner. The wire wheeled versions still weigh north of 200kg and there is no loving way I would ride anything other than a well-graded unsurfaced road on one in case it fell on me. And I think they want like £15,000 for them these days. Basically the GS is the x3 2.0d in bike form.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Yeah, they weren't built so much to turn but to get from stoplight to stoplight as fast as possible. Undersized sway bars (if even present), soft rubber bushings, low spring rates, garbage steering ratios, etc. If you were feeling spendy while ticking boxes at the dealership, maybe you'd spring for the front disc brakes. I can understand why someone would restore one of these cars to factory original, but at the same time I can't, you know?

My dad let me drive his punched out 454 powered Chevelle SS and it was just really loving scary going anywhere fast in that thing, especially after driving German cars for years. That was definitely a big disappointment for me as I'd hoped that it wouldn't feel like the car wasn't nearly out of control. Same with my brother's 383 powered Dart.

My big disappointment was the Ferrari 550 Maranello. About the only redeeming thing about that car was the sweet gated shifter. The engine didn't really sound like much, the interior was horrible and the seats were hard as a rock, the pedals were tiny and offset despite being in a very big (for an Fcar anyway) GT car. The car was incredibly awkward to drive, and I know Ferrari of that era knew better because the F355 of similar vintage is a sweet driving car.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
It's been a long time in the making, and I had very high hopes. There was a 2009 2.5L VW Rabbit that I had the chance to drive for a week, and that thing was a ton of fun. Just enough get up and go to keep things interesting, so when my truck died, I thought I'd get a 5-speed Golf/Rabbit. The Golf that I would up buying is a mk4 and I enjoyed it for, oh, about a week. I goddamned hate it now. That 2.0L engine is a loving sputtering, reeking turd that goes through oil and fouls plugs like crazy. There are plans in my future of doing some completely loving ridiculous engine swap, but for now, what a monumental let-down.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Mitsubishi EVO X. Took one for a test drive a couple years back and it was such a letdown. Dealer only had the paddle shift MR package on the lot so that's the one I tried.

The transmission ruins the car. I've heard people say dual clutch transmissions are lightning quick and responsive, but I don't know if I tested a broken car or what, but there was what felt like a full second lag on paddle inputs. Took it up to redline and hit the paddle 700-500 rpm before red, it bounced off the limiter for what felt like ages before finally shifting. It drove well enough, I guess, but the interior rattled worst than my 10+ year old subie and holy poo poo was the washer fluid pump the loudest thing ever. There wasn't anything that got me excited when I drove it.

I was expecting to be wowed and blown away. One of my most memorable test drives was an 04 STI which is what got me interested in Subaru. With how much people compare the EVO and STI I had my hopes set. I really wanted to love it, but it was just meh for the rest of the experience and the transmission was awful.

E:

Also almost any newer BMW. I've been in a couple newer 3 series and everyone prattles on about how the interiors on the BMW's are perfection, but I just don't see it. It never really felt that much better. Maybe I'm just immune to good interiors.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 18, 2015

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Scion FR-S. My neighbor buddy had an old Sprinter earlier in life and a hard-on for Toyotas of days gone by (when they had more soul). He sold his beautiful cinnamon on Imola red E46M3 to purchase his FR-S at nearly twice the cost. He put some TRD bits on it (catback, intake), VOLK TE37's, expensive coil overs, etc. While it looked good and embodied what you thought you wanted it was just slow and uninspiring. He sold that after a little over a year and bought another E46 M3, this time a ZCP. It cost significantly less and he told me he missed his old M3 and buying the FR-S was a mistake.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I could actually put the PT Cruiser here. Low expectations, some how came out disappointed.

For me it was the 2006 Charger that I got as a company car. 2.7l + Neon 4 SPD? Nope. Nice suspension though, very tail happy on icy parking lots

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

In the late 90's we had a 1994 Dodge Ram Cummins turbo diesel with a manual on the lot. It has the fabled Cummins engine, it's supposed to be a work horse and everything that goes along with it. Unfortunately Dodge stopped at the engine for any sort of quality it might have had going for it. The clutch in this thing was a loving monstrosity, I do not envy the poor son of a bitch who bought it, especially as a work truck for doing jobs in the bay area. Rush hour has to be a nightmare on your left leg/knee. He has probably had 2 knee surgeries at this point if he still has it. Next, the interior. Dodge spared every expense from no real leather to every plastic bit you can bolt to metal and get away with calling it an interior. The seat was uncomfortably Dodge and they cheaped out again with vinyl. There was no sound deadening to speak of or insulation for that matter so it had to be a treat to drive in the winter time or rumbling down the freeway. The only thing it had going for it was nice heavy brakes and the engine.. Other than that, there's so much disappointment here that I would never own one, even though they're now a fabled internet thing to have much like a Samurai or fox body Mustang.. And those were both gigantic piles of poo poo in their own right.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Dodge 1500 Pickup. Constantly broken, extremely poor ride quality, and a V8 that couldn't stop detonating/pinging

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
2 different BMWs, back in the day a fairly new late 90s 5 series, and a couple years ago a 2010ish 3xx convertible. Both ATs and just mushy & unresponsive, bland as hell. NOt knocking the brand as these may have been bad examples for driving but drat, ultimate driving experience?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

keykey posted:

In the late 90's we had a 1994 Dodge Ram Cummins turbo diesel with a manual on the lot. It has the fabled Cummins engine, it's supposed to be a work horse and everything that goes along with it. Unfortunately Dodge stopped at the engine for any sort of quality it might have had going for it. The clutch in this thing was a loving monstrosity, I do not envy the poor son of a bitch who bought it, especially as a work truck for doing jobs in the bay area. Rush hour has to be a nightmare on your left leg/knee. He has probably had 2 knee surgeries at this point if he still has it. Next, the interior. Dodge spared every expense from no real leather to every plastic bit you can bolt to metal and get away with calling it an interior. The seat was uncomfortably Dodge and they cheaped out again with vinyl. There was no sound deadening to speak of or insulation for that matter so it had to be a treat to drive in the winter time or rumbling down the freeway. The only thing it had going for it was nice heavy brakes and the engine.. Other than that, there's so much disappointment here that I would never own one, even though they're now a fabled internet thing to have much like a Samurai or fox body Mustang.. And those were both gigantic piles of poo poo in their own right.

So...a stripped down work truck is uncomfortable? Hmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Human Grand Prix posted:

'86 325es. I thought this wouldn't be too far removed from the 325IS but eta motor kinda poo poo, sorry. This is also a general 6-cylinder E30 problem but I don't like the steering; it's too slow and the wheel is gigantic. Are the 4 cylinder ones different?

No, they all have the same lovely steering rack which I would argue is the biggest flaw of the car other than the rear semi-trailing arms. However, an E36 rack fixes it. The E motors are also trash.

I was pretty disappointed driving a new WRX and STI. They were fast after the turbo spooled but I hated the turn in and the general way it felt.

• Locked thread