Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
:siren: :siren:REGISTER HERE!!!! :siren: :siren:
https://goo.gl/6r9Kwn

Are you familiar with the SOMETHING AWFUL TRIVIA TEAM? Every year, TRIVIAL FURSUIT fields a team in 90FM's World's Largest Trivia Contest (see last contest's thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700363) -- a 54-hour marathon of some of the most punishing trivia questions you've ever heard. Having bonded over this experience, Trivial Fursuit has become a great community, and we've taken to participating in other trivia contests just to keep our trivia appetite satisfied.

But it's not enough just to play! As a warm-up to 90FM's Trivia 47, Something Awful is hosting our very own trivia contest. Our mini-marathon clocks in at SIX HOURS of good music and challenging questions. Good at Google? Have a memory for the obscure? Know your pop culture? You'll need it all to succeed at our contest!

As this is the inaugural run of the Trivial Fursuit Triviathon, we're inviting only goons and their non-goon friends and family to participate. Next year, we might open up to more public registration. This is similar to the trivia contests run by other large 90FM Trivia teams, like Dad's Computers, who recently hosted their own 27-hour trivia marathon!

The Trivial Fursuit Triviathon will be a LITTLE different, and much smaller in scale than the aforementioned contests. Here are the basics:

WHEN:
Saturday, December 5th, from 2:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST.
UTC: 7:00 PM - 1:00 AM
CST: 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM
MST: 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM
PST: 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Do I need to register a team?

While you will be able to play by yourself, we recommend teaming up with other goons! With friends and family! Non-goons! Anyone who you think would have a great time participating! Outsiders are of course welcome, but this is a sort of trial run before we expand next year.

HOW TO REGISTER:

Select ONE PERSON from your team to fill out and submit the team/individual registration form. That person will be provided with contest details, including the pictures you'll need to do your best to identify prior to the contest.

No personal information is required EXCEPT an e-mail address. Team names can be as creative as you can get -- we just ask that your team name is pronounceable.

How do I submit my answers?

No calling necessary for you shy goons out there! All answers will be collected online via Google Forms. Links to the forms will be sent to your team representative.

How difficult is the contest?

Very difficult, to say the least. Almost no one will know any of the answers off the top of their head. You will have to research -- quickly -- to figure out the answer, using your own knowledge/deduction methods, Google skills, and personal collection of basement-dwelling almanacs and dust-covered Nintendo 64 games. This is where having a big team can be a lot more beneficial.

Don't let the above scare you away! There are plenty of easy questions in the mix, too.

Question content may include:
Picture identification (who is this person, what is this product, etc.)
Movie content (quotes, actors, background details, etc.)
Gaming content (level names, characters, character quotes, etc.)
Sports content (scores, stats, notable events, etc.)
Historic events (locations involved, event dates, etc.)
Politics (famous figures, quotes, etc.)
Pop culture (TV show plots, famous commercials, quotes, etc.)

Here are some sample questions!

In a recent big screen flick a char is introduced while laying on the floor of his bedroom living to music. He is surrounded by albums such as James Brown, Parliament, and Curtis Blow. What is the performing name of this businessman?

This big league pitcher won a Cy Young award as well as the AL pennant. He would go on to win 300 career games while recording 20 victories in a season 5 times. What is the FNL of this hall of fame bball player?

When a group of friends get together on the fantasy football equinox, they are watching sports on TV. What is the name of the team that Andre is cheering for?

That sounds insane. How can I win if the questions are that difficult?

You'd be surprised. If -- for example -- you can figure out what movie a question is referencing within 30 seconds, you'll have plenty of time to pull the answer from YouTube or a script database. The increasing urgency as you frantically research the answer is part of the insanity of online trivia, and you may get addicted!

You'll have anywhere from 5 - 7 minutes to answer questions.

How does scoring work?

Scoring will function the same as the World’s Largest Trivia Contest does -- the more teams that answer a question correctly, the less points it's worth. On the other hand, if you happen to be the only team that manages to know that the tallest building on the 2nd level of Superman 64 has blue windows (I made this up), then you could be in for a big payday.

The base question value is 1000 points. If only one team answers right, that team is awarded 1000 points. We'll be rounding down or up to the nearest 10. If 13 teams answer, each team will be awarded 80 points. The lowest possible point value is 10.

How do I listen to the questions?

Our mush-mouthed goons from across the globe will be reading out questions and playing great music in a LIVE BROADCAST! The Mumble stream will be simulcast via Ustream. Information for both streams will be provided to your team representative.

Prizes! What about prizes?

We're offering to ship prize medals to members of the top three winning teams. The first place team will even get a trophy!

I don't know, I've seen the trivia thread before, and it doesn't seem that interesting to me...

Give us a shot! If you enjoy casual, pub-style trivia -- good. Almost everyone who's part of Trivial Fursuit also enjoys that. If you enjoy racing the clock -- good. This contest will keep you on your toes. We're hoping to bring you a fun, exciting, fair, challenging, and all-around enjoyable experience, and will be doing our best to make sure your team gets recognition for their efforts.

If you end up getting hooked, come back in April 2016 to help Trivial Fursuit finally achieve first place in 90FM's Trivia 47!

I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS!!

Come visit us in IRC!

Server: irc.synirc.net
Channel: #satrivia

No thread making GBS threads, please :)

railroad terror fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

You forgot to change [here] to an actual thread link, you excitable goon.

I'm helping to run this contest. Looking forward to it! Please come play trivia. :shobon:

:siren:TEAM REGISTRATION CLOSES ON NOVEMBER 30TH:siren:

Part of our contest involves identifying mystery pictures. These pictures may feature famous figures, old-rear end advertisements, weird products, cereal boxes, and other obscure bullshit that might be hard to find with a simple GIS. Your team will need to identify these pictures, as questions will be asked about the pictures throughout the contest!

We'll distribute the pictures to each team as part of the welcome/registration packet thing that'll go out on December 1st.

Because we want to make sure everyone has a fair shot of researching these pictures ahead of the contest, team registration will be closing on November 30th.

:siren:THESE PEOPLE ARE LOOKING FOR TEAMS:siren:

MUKAIKUBO

:siren:THESE TEAMS ARE RECRUITING:siren:

ACETYLCOA

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 30, 2015

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i'm pretty interested considering i was in academic bowl and history bee in high school, but i do have to ask, why Trivial "Fursuit"?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I'm not sure I like the sound of this

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

symbolic posted:

i'm pretty interested considering i was in academic bowl and history bee in high school, but i do have to ask, why Trivial "Fursuit"?

Why not?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i dunno, it just seems kind of odd considering i don't associate fursuits with trivial pursuit

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015
This sounds so fun! I have no friends locally or I would totally register. I'll ask Lowtax, but he will probably be busy grumbling about memes or something.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

symbolic posted:

i dunno, it just seems kind of odd considering i don't associate fursuits with trivial pursuit

Its a funny pun

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

HiipFire posted:

Its a funny pun
i get that, but i assumed that it had something to do with fursuits right off the bat when i heard it, so i became confused

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

railroad terror posted:

Are you familiar with the SOMETHING AWFUL TRIVIA TEAM? Every year, TRIVIAL FURSUIT fields a team in 90FM's World's Largest Trivia Contest (see last contest's thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700363) -- a 54-hour marathon of some of the most punishing trivia questions you've ever heard. Having bonded over this experience, Trivial Fursuit has become a great community, and we've taken to participating in other trivia contests just to keep our trivia appetite satisfied.

But it's not enough just to play! As a warm-up to 90FM's Trivia 47, Something Awful is hosting our very own trivia contest. Our mini-marathon clocks in at SIX HOURS of good music and challenging questions. Good at Google? Have a memory for the obscure? Know your pop culture? You'll need it all to succeed at our contest!

As this is the inaugural run of the Trivial Fursuit Triviathon, we're inviting only goons and their non-goon friends and family to participate. Next year, we might open up to more public registration. This is similar to the trivia contests run by other large 90FM Trivia teams, like Dad's Computers, who recently hosted their own 27-hour trivia marathon!

The Trivial Fursuit Triviathon will be a LITTLE different, and much smaller in scale than the aforementioned contests. Here are the basics:

WHEN:
Saturday, December 12th, from 2:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST.
UTC: 7:00 PM - 1:00 AM
CST: 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM
MST: 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM
PST: 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Do I need to register a team?

While you will be able to play by yourself, we recommend teaming up with other goons! With friends and family! Non-goons! Anyone who you think would have a great time participating! Outsiders are of course welcome, but this is a sort of trial run before we expand next year.

HOW TO REGISTER:

Select ONE PERSON from your team to fill out and submit the team/individual registration form. That person will be provided with contest details, including the pictures you'll need to do your best to identify prior to the contest.

No personal information is required EXCEPT an e-mail address. Team names can be as creative as you can get -- we just ask that your team name is pronounceable.

How do I submit my answers?

No calling necessary for you shy goons out there! All answers will be collected online via Google Forms. Links to the forms will be sent to your team representative.

How difficult is the contest?

Very difficult, to say the least. Almost no one will know any of the answers off the top of their head. You will have to research -- quickly -- to figure out the answer, using your own knowledge/deduction methods, Google skills, and personal collection of basement-dwelling almanacs and dust-covered Nintendo 64 games. This is where having a big team can be a lot more beneficial.

Don't let the above scare you away! There are plenty of easy questions in the mix, too.

Question content may include:
Picture identification (who is this person, what is this product, etc.)
Movie content (quotes, actors, background details, etc.)
Gaming content (level names, characters, character quotes, etc.)
Sports content (scores, stats, notable events, etc.)
Historic events (locations involved, event dates, etc.)
Politics (famous figures, quotes, etc.)
Pop culture (TV show plots, famous commercials, quotes, etc.)

That sounds insane. How can I win if the questions are that difficult?

You'd be surprised. If -- for example -- you can figure out what movie a question is referencing within 30 seconds, you'll have plenty of time to pull the answer from YouTube or a script database. The increasing urgency as you frantically research the answer is part of the insanity of online trivia, and you may get addicted!

You'll have anywhere from 5 - 7 minutes to answer questions.

How does scoring work?

Scoring will function the same as the World’s Largest Trivia Contest does -- the more teams that answer a question correctly, the less points it's worth. On the other hand, if you happen to be the only team that manages to know that the tallest building on the 2nd level of Superman 64 has blue windows (I made this up), then you could be in for a big payday.

The base question value is 1000 points. If only one team answers right, that team is awarded 1000 points. We'll be rounding down or up to the nearest 10. If 13 teams answer, each team will be awarded 80 points. The lowest possible point value is 10.

How do I listen to the questions?

Our mush-mouthed goons from across the globe will be reading out questions and playing great music in a LIVE BROADCAST! The Mumble stream will be simulcast via Ustream. Information for both streams will be provided to your team representative.

Prizes! What about prizes?

We're offering to ship prize medals to members of the top three winning teams. The first place team will even get a trophy!

I don't know, I've seen the trivia thread before, and it doesn't seem that interesting to me...

Give us a shot! If you enjoy casual, pub-style trivia -- good. Almost everyone who's part of Trivial Fursuit also enjoys that. If you enjoy racing the clock -- good. This contest will keep you on your toes. We're hoping to bring you a fun, exciting, fair, challenging, and all-around enjoyable experience, and will be doing our best to make sure your team gets recognition for their efforts.

If you end up getting hooked, come back in April 2016 to help Trivial Fursuit finally achieve first place in 90FM's Trivia 47!

I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS!!

Come visit us in IRC!

Server: irc.synirc.net
Channel: #satrivia

No thread making GBS threads, please :)

i'm really dubm and retarded and i hate furrys so i'll pass thanks though

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Gay rear end effort post fuxk you op

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
April can't come soon enough, this should be fun I hope and not a total trainwreck

DancinJack
Jul 11, 2006
yer dun
I am here!

CNN is on my team as an honourary member (assuming you can't play because you're helping administer).

Any other TF goon regulars that normally play, feel free to PM me if you wanna join my team!

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

DancinJack posted:

I am here!

CNN is on my team as an honourary member (assuming you can't play because you're helping administer).

Any other TF goon regulars that normally play, feel free to PM me if you wanna join my team!

SBB checking in . Look at all these nerds who didn't claim CNN as their mascot quickly enough.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

We all gotta mash on that trivia button as fast as possible.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Trivial Fursuit's been the trivia team's name for a few years now. Every year, we have to assure concerned citizens that we aren't run by actual furries. I guess, statistically speaking, we probably have more than one genuine furry somewhere in our history of IRC spam.

SPEAKING OF IRC -- not needed for this contest, but you're welcome to coordinate your teams in our chatroom(s), anyway.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
gently caress a team, I'm gonna solo this bitch

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Nice use of the SHITPOST icon, RRT. :haw:

Tygor
Feb 20, 2008

UNTUCKEM. GO BREW CREW WOOOOO
I'm only playing if i can be a part of trivia stone B.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I will be in Vegas but I'd just like to be on record as wholeheartedly supporting this endeavor. That means this year is a freebie, then next year Team Foghorn Penguin will dominate.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Tygor posted:

Sir, your team name meets the standards of this Awful Contest.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

This is really cool and kudos to the volunteers putting this together. Hope to be around to join in the fun that weekend.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Even after writing a few of the trivia questions, I can't understand how Oz can willingly watch 2 Broke Girls.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

McStabby posted:

I can't understand how Oz can willingly watch 2 Broke Girls.
if you're already dead on the inside

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Until the OP is updated with flashing sirens --

:siren: REGISTER HERE :siren:
:siren: https://goo.gl/6r9Kwn :siren:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

im not joining your furry club op

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
yiff in hell

Thuneral
Jul 25, 2004
High Listener For Music Awful

triv·i·a
ˈtrivēə/
noun
plural noun: trivia

details, considerations, or pieces of information of little importance or value.
"we fill our days with meaningless trivia"
synonyms: minutiae, minor details, petty detail, niceties, technicalities, trivialities, trifles, trumpery, nonessentials, ephemera;
"his head is overflowing with obscure trivia"

Good luck with your google searches!

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Bugger, I'm away that weekend, maybe next year the 4000ft badgers will have a chance.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

obligatory

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Tygor posted:

is that a doctor who reference?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

^^^ hahah oh god that logo

CherryCat posted:

Bugger, I'm away that weekend, maybe next year the 4000ft badgers will have a chance.

We might be moving this back a week to accommodate a bunch of "aww I'll be out of towns" we keep hearing. Sorting it out!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I'm gonna try and play but I might also be hangover and asleep since it's the middle of the night for me the day after a goonmeet. We'll see!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

As threatened yesterday, the contest has been moved to December 5th! Sorry for the sudden change, but we hope to accommodate a lot more teams/players on this date!

El Spider
Nov 9, 2012

yiff in hell

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I hope you get banned OP

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
To help clarify the sort of fun, challenging questions you'll get ---- HERE ARE SOME SAMPLE QUESTIONS

In a recent big screen flick a char is introduced while laying on the floor of his bedroom living to music. He is surrounded by albums such as James Brown, Parliament, and Curtis Blow. What is the performing name of this businessman?

This big league pitcher won a Cy Young award as well as the AL pennant. He would go on to win 300 career games while recording 20 victories in a season 5 times. What is the FNL of this hall of fame bball player?

When a group of friends get together on the fantasy football equinox, they are watching sports on TV. What is the name of the team that Andre is cheering for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

railroad terror posted:

To help clarify the sort of fun, challenging questions you'll get ---- HERE ARE SOME SAMPLE QUESTIONS

Early Wynn?

railroad terror posted:

The Double Ent-Andres?

• Locked thread