Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Blood: 0 Heart: -1 Mind: +1 Spirit: +2
Mortality: +2 Night: -1 Power: +1 Wild: +0
Harm: 0/5 | Corruption: 0/5 | Armor: 0

Knowing Rommy? She's got a rep for being a party girl, so she'd be on the dance floor. After all, it's not like she has to actually work to use those powers of hers, so she's got plenty of time to screw around.

...Maybe I should try and be less visibly annoyed since I'm trying to make a good introduction for Pearl. On top of scoring honorary memebership to the Council (which basically gives her all the access with none of the responsibility, because of course it does), she's known for being on good terms with most Wild people, so... this should be easy. It's not like I'm having to introduce her to a vampire or something. She's really got a thing against undead. I can't really blame her there. They creep me out too.

Fortunately, I know what to look for, namely the riot of differently colored cloth that make up her dress and shawl. So, it's not hard to spot her really garish fortune teller costume, if you know what you're looking for. And there she is, ordering a drink while her pale face is flushed dancing (and drinking, I'd bet). I put on my most winning smile and approach her. Once I get her attention, I say, "Fancy meeting you here Rommy! I had a friend here who's quite interested in talking to you. Pearl, this is Madame Romalda. Madame Romalda, Pearl." I gesture towards each of them in turn and step back, interested in what Pearl wants to talk to an Oracle for in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Blood: -1, Mind: 2, Heart: +1, Spirit: 0
Mortality: 2, Night: 0, Power 1, Wild: -1
Harm: 0/5(Healthy), Armor: 0, Corruption: 0/5

Ugh! Can't people hold their horses, just a moment? It's starting to get just a little irritating having everyone try to drag me around like, immediately after I've started talking to someone, so when Cali tries to tug me away, I dig my heels in, looking momentarily irritated. "I'll just be a moment, Cal, there's no rush."

Tugging my arm loose of her grasp, I turn back to Jake, and shrug. "I'm with me, just my little army of one, armed with my wits and a desire to find out the truth. Yeah, I'm new to this, but I've done pretty well so far for one woman poking her nose into the scary underworld you guys have got going on here, no?" Despite my confident answer, my eyes unconsciously flicker over his shoulder, to Carver's gang, and back again before any of those Vamps take notice. I can talk a big game, but I'm sure Jake already sees that I'm worried about, well, the obvious - that if I piss off the wrong person, and I'm by myself, I'm just a lone woman in a world of supernaturally powerful monsters.

"So, that's me. What group are you with? Vampires, Werewolves? Other?" There must be a reason Cali's trying to drag me away from him, and Lisa warned me he was 'not to be messed with', and even if I'm not going to let myself get pushed and pulled through this party like I'm on a goddamned leash, it still pays to know who I'm talking to, and show I'm not a pushover. Like, the fact that I am a lone woman here makes that more important than ever, I need to show I can stand up for myself, get some advantage, not just be a flopping fish in a shark tank.

[07:19am] Nown: Bad Decisions Time continues
[07:19am] Nown: Figuring Jake Out
[07:19am] Nown: !r 2d6+2
[07:19am] Krysmbot: Nown, 7+2 = 9

I now have 3 hold over Jake, he has 1 over me. Spending two of mine to ask 'Who's pulling your strings' and 'How could I put your character in my debt?' Leaving us at 1:1

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Blood 2 Heart 1 Mind -1 Spirit 0
Mortality 1 Night -1 Power 0 Wild 2
Harm 0/5 Armor 1 Corruption 0/5

I can see Cali wants to leave with Naomi and Lisa, but Naomi is willing to keep talking and if she does get into everyone's business like she said, maybe she could help out as well. If not with Morningstar, then maybe with finding out who among the wolves might try to start something. I give a quick answer to Cali. "Not too many thankfully, there should be about 3 or 4 of them." I turn back to Naomi and resume the conversation.

"Other. Specifically, the demons. I work for the one who goes by the name Hannibal. I've been invited here just like everyone else, although right now I'm also sort of on the job. Trying to find someone." And if she has her own troubles, maybe we can do each other a favor. "So are you just here to see what it's like or is there something specific you're after?"

Spending 2 hold to ask "What is Naomi hoping to get from attending this party?" and "How could I put Naomi in my debt?"

I take a glance over to where Naomi had been looking around somewhat nervously. There's a group of people there...maybe I know something about them or their leader?

Put A Face To A Name (Georgia Carver): 2d6-1 4
Marking Night for rolling a faction move

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Blood: 0, Heart: 0, Mind: +1, Spirit: +1
Mortality: -1, Night: 0, Power: +1, Wild: +2

Apparently for the most part, the fae dealing in the Dust trade tonight are tending towards being part of a "Pearl-Haters Anonymous" convention. There's Endymion, who I know employs underaged workers and who I in no uncertain terms warned him against doing, Ruz, who, well, tried to steal from me, and who I might have thrown out of a window in response, and the Rake, who very desperately wanted to get into my pants when we first met, but who, well, didn't measure up and didn't appreciate being laughed at in that particular scenario. None of them were going to give me a second thought if I started asking about Dust, and certainly weren't going to give me any insider information right now. I'd really have to work on my credentials with the Courts, it seemed; I hadn't really realized how much I'd let it slip.

I was tempted to go re-introduce myself to Sim, however. I might even apologize. We had a working relationship, despite his obviously being scum. Up until recently we were even cordial with each other. That is, until three months ago, on the third of the moth. When Selene called into work. Selene never calls into work, not the least of which because I allow myself to depend on her even a little bit, which means that she's essentially always on call. Still, I assumed that she might have been actually ill, since...well she never calls in. So, I did the admittedly motherly thing and made her soup. Not knowing what her particular ailment was, I assumed chicken soup would work for repairing her. When I made it to her place though, it was evident what had happened.

She had been given Dust. And not a pure cut of it, either. I believe the proper parlance for her state of mind was "tweaking". I've never heard such colourful language from her before, and certainly not after I had gotten her detoxed. At which point I asked her where she got it. The name of the dealer was inconsequential, she had explained that she was out with some people, and had been assured that the product was pure. And the dealer was one of Sim's runners. Sim, who had promised me that he would not allow any of my subordinates to take anyone's product. Sim who supplied for a good thirty percent of all Dust operations in the city. Sim who I thought had standards.

The phone call I placed to him was less-than charitable. I distinctly recall telling him that if he ever took an action to endanger one of my people again, I would carve pieces of him off and feed him to himself until he died from blood loss or over eating - and I assured him I would take every measure to secure the latter of the two options.

We...hadn't spoken since. Still I afforded him a nod as we walked past. Perhaps I'd do something to re-engage him later. Now that he understood the potential consequences for acting incorrectly towards those things important to me, that is.

But for now, I was faced with the very person I had wanted to speak to. I smiled gratefully at Najma, certain this would have taken longer without her help, and I offered the multi-colored veil enrobed woman a finely manicured hand and a polite smile after that. "Madame Romalda, I am quite happy to meet you finally. I understand you've made quite the impression upon a number of people in a short amount of time. It's Raicleach - Pearl Raicleach." I offered as an explanation, as if that would explain everything about me. It ought to, after all, but just in case it didn't - "I own Pearl's, just off the strip. You and I apparently share some of the same clientele, I wonder if I could discuss a business opportunity with you?"

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Aha, demons... Well, I knew he wasn't Fae, or Lisa wouldn't have been so edgy about him. I almost surprise myself with how easily I take that information in, like it's as normal as if he said he was a lawyer or something. "Trying to find someone, but you still took the time to come talk to us lovely ladies? Well, you're in luck, I'm pretty good at finding people," except for the person that really matters. In answer to his question, I shrug again. "A little of column A, a little of column B. Don't know why I was invited, but I'm pretty sure it's a bad idea to piss off a powerful faerie by turning them down, right?" I glance over at Lisa to back me up on that. "Aside from that, well... I guess you could say I'm also on the job." He could be useful, but I'm not going to blab everything right away.

"Probably isn't something you should get into unless you're not worried about things maybe turning sour, though. Because... yeah, they could go bad quick..." Did he just glance over at Carver and her lot, too? Maybe he can help with that. Depends what kind of 'person not to be messed with' he is...

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Blood 2 | Heart 0 | Mind 1 | Spirit -1
Mortality 2 | Night 1 | Power 0 | Wild -1
Harm: 0/5 | Armor: 0 | Corruption: 0/5

Naomi isn't coming. Argh. I make a face and move around to behind Jake, and repeatedly grimace and shake my head, jerking it very clearly away from him. Look I can only help you much if you're actually going to act on it Naomi! "So Lisa," headjerk, "what are you," pained expression, "up to tonight?" Headjerk and pained expression. "Going to be at the *ahem* Baccanal?" Long stare.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Frankie: "Yes, yes, fine, fine." Anton pulls a piece of wrinkled paper out of the inside of his jacket, with a few names scratched out. Luckily for you, your friend's name is crossed out. Unlucky for you, there's half of them are labeled as something other than wolves, and there's a lot of question marks. It's not the best list in the world, but it's a better start than before. "Also, Frankie. You can share what you find with me, and I help you update list as I update. Yes?" Given that you're working with wolves here, it's not like promises hold any water. Then again, of all the wolves affiliated with this poo poo, he does best if the rumors get squashed.

"Now gently caress off, you're scaring away pretty women." So, top of the list that isn't crossed off is Garrett Ellison. You're pretty sure he couldn't give two shits about this werewolf war, but I guess you can never count out anyone who holds anything around these parts. And you see him down in one of the other little bar areas. What are you going to do?

Garrett: Finding Charly isn't very difficult. Getting his attention is a bit harder, but given that you've got blood on you, it just takes him away from his customers for a moment. "Hey, you get shot or something? You're not gonna bleed around here, right? This is a prime spot to get my job done." He's clearly not off the clock, but whether it's dealing, security or just being ready for some weird fae event, you can tell his brain's somewhere else. "What do you need? Can't help you if it's complicated, but if it's simple enough, that's what I'm here for."

Lisa: "Yeah, sure thing if you do the same. Just making sure we'll all make it to tomorrow. Also, don't get too wasted, alright?" He smiles and gives a wink.

Matt will do it if Lisa does the same for him.

Pearl, Najma: The psychic woman waves her drink, annoyingly at the both of you. "What is wrong with the both of you, I'm listening to some stories from my friends here." She gestures towards the space around her, and some of the stronger spirits make a few gestures, most of which are polite when visible. Well, this is a little awkward. Fortunately, most spirits don't get offended when they're missed at a party like this, especially when they aren't possessing anyone. All of a sudden, you're brought into the conversation by Romalda. It's actually a decent story about something completely unrelated. Once it ends, however, she turns back towards you.

"What was it that you were saying?" Pearl's hand has been held extended for what should feel like a small eternity. She just now shakes it, but still looks a little confused.

Jake: Funny story about Carver is that Hannibal owes her one from a botched shipment a few months back. Well, more like owed her one. Recently, that debt got transferred to you. Something about Hannibal not having any time to deal with all of the paperwork or whatever. You do know some basics about her operations, however, and you expect whatever you're going to do for her isn't going to be anything too involved. What does Georgia Carver actually do for the her bloodline? Is that even the right word for it?

Naomi: Cali's odd gestures seem distracting, but not as distracting as one of the Faerie security, both dressed up in the expensive version of Jake's current suit, seem to be making eyes at you, whispering to one another. You're pretty sure you haven't done anything too offensive yet. Right? How much research did you do on the event before showing up? How long do you think they've been keeping an eye on you?

Everyone: Loud horn-like noises are heard throughout the Oasis, piercing unnatural sounds through all the music, the shouting, the everything. A little chirp followed by the clearest voice you've heard projected over a space like this. "The Breaking of the Mead will begin in 10 minutes." Another chirp followed, followed by some cheering and jeering and more generic noise from the crowd.

Lisa: What's the Breaking of the Mead?

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 24, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Blood: -1 Heart: +2 Mind: 0 Spirit: +1
Mortality: +1 Night: -1 Power: +1 Wild: +1

Dammit, Naomi already knew them, so much for that. Actually wait, that's good! Unless she hates them, anyways. Doesn't seem to luckily, given that she just hugged Cali and now her and Jake seem to be hitting it off. Doubt he has any reason to hurt her or anything, but I'm going to make sure to stick close to her - she's a normie and kind of my friend, so I should be sure to look after her, right?

Cali's super stoked to see me though. She drapes an arm over my shoulder, so I scoot in closer to her, somewhat aware as I do that she has Cold Iron on her somewhere. I can definitely feel it, but the mild buzz I have now that I'm in the midst of beer three more than cancels out the unpleasantness of that horrible metal. Kinda rude of her to bring it in the first place, but she is a wee bit paranoid. Probably comes with the territory... and besides, she's got her arm around me and I'm not gonna start complaining while that's going on.

She sort of moves to try and gesture for Naomi to come over to us / ignore Jake, asking me a question about the my activities and the Baccanal as a pretext. Beginning to think that I'm gonna need to teach Cali how to be more chill about stuff - it's not like Naomi's going anywhere, we're both right here watching anyways. I answer her first question with a smirk, stepping out from under her shoulder. "Oh, I'm like, supposed to be talking to people about that new Van Cleef wizard, totally dilly-dallying on it though." Polishing off the rest of my beer in one long chug, I look about for a trash-can (I can't believe we're not recycling) and toss the bottle in with practiced ease.

Looking back towards Cali, I grin a little wider, clearly pleased to have made the shot. To be honest I'd been debating attending the after-events. I mean, fun, but weird. Ah well, I only live once. Let's make a promise! "Oh, and yeah I'll totally be at the Baccanal later, if I can." Glad I remembered to add 'if I can,' to that. Casual as can be, I ask her - and Naomi, want her to feel included too, "So, you both coming too? Gonna be fuuun!"

Spending hold on Naomi to ask: How could I get your character to attend the Baccanal?

Rauri fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 24, 2015

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Blood: 2 Heart: -1 Mind: 0 Spirit: +1
Mortality: +1 Night: +1 Power: -1 Wild: +1

"Jesus, Charly, did I interrupt your loving drug dealing. What an rear end in a top hat I am." I smash the beer bottle on the floor and crush it with a foot, staring at Charly with a little sympathy, the loving motherfuckers that call themselves fae must be insane taskmasters. Another illusion, the apple before Eve. Well gently caress that. The remaining beer forms a puddle under my foot, this was business time, and I was on a new high that no one here, I suspect could understand. Well maybe the vamps, but you know their poo poo is hosed up.

Moved forward as Charly started to walk away, "Hey hey hold up, okay, I am an rear end in a top hat. We both are in agreement, but I need a favor. See this blood ain't mine at all. Some pups trying to crash our place. I need something to get this poo poo off me. Then I need you to point out the direction of the red head in our territory." I stared him in the eyes, and nod, "Oh yeah, that one. Thought I didn't know did you? Either way, I don't trust a single rear end in a top hat here. I already had someone trying to take me out tonight, so Charly anything you can give on those two fronts, I'll consider us even for keeping those pups off your stash." I pat Charly on the side of his leather jacket getting someone else's blood on it.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 26, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Oh. It's Georgia Carver. That complicates things. She's involved with the shipping of blood from the Red Cross - pretty important to the vampires and anyone else who drinks blood in this city. Normally things go pretty well, but that one shipment a few months ago somehow got found by someone not in the know. Needless to say, it took a lot of time and money to make sure to avoid word getting out among the regular people and to get it back to where it was originally going. As for her "bloodline", it seems more like a gang to me. But if that's what she calls them, I suppose I can call it that too. It's not like I know too much about the Night side of things in this town anyway.

"Don't worry about me. I've been in a lot of situations that went bad. But does it have to do anything with her?" I give Carver another quick glance. "I might not be able to help you out then. It's a business thing. Depends on what you need."

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

It's all I can do not to give away that Cali is making those faces right behind Jake's head, but those, combined with his turning me down are enough to give me a hint. I tsk, and shake my head. "Well, that's a shame, but I understand. Sadly, mine's a business thing too, you understand, right? Anyway. We can talk business somewhere else. Right now, it's time to have fun, right...?" oh god loving dammit Lisa not that kind of fun!

Did she really just ask me to go to an orgy with monsters? Really? "Gonna be daaaaangerous," I reply, mimicking her excited tone of voice. "Bunch of... strangers, you know? Bit too much excitement for little old me..." She needs to be convinced it's 'safe'!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

"Who's that then?" I glance at Lisa blankly when she mentions Van Cleef, since I try not to pay much attention to Wizard circles, since Wizards are all a bunch of loving self important assholes with their heads so far up their assess its amazing they don't think their ivory towers are brown. "Nice shot. Ugh, really?" I grimace a little, but rally quickly as Naomi rejoins the conversation and maybe I can finally rescue her from Jake. I take a few steps away from him to see if she'll follow, continuing the conversation and urgent facial expressions throughout.

"Yeah that isn't my idea of a good time at all." The last time I did anything close to what the Bacchanal would be like was when me and my school friends were all partying and getting super smashed and it ended with everyone but me being slaughtered by a demon. So You can see why it wouldn't be top of my list of experiences to relive. Haha. Ha. Ha. "You know how much I love the idea of bumping uglies with a bunch of unnaturals. If it was just some chill Fairys like you Lisa maybe I'd consider it."

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Oh come on! Why did they even show up if they're not going to have a good time? I maneuver in order to face both of them at once, putting my hands on my hips and doing about 70% of my best to look disappointed.

"You two serious?" They're apparently serious. "This place is totally under Fae protection." I declare as if that's a total absolute, because it is. No one's going to trifle with us, especially at an event as time-honored and peaceful as this. This is one of the ties that bind the supernatural community, and it'd be dark times indeed to ruin it. I mean, it symbolizes the end of summer - celebrating the most joyous and fun time of the year, anticipating a good harvest, which while strictly speaking not that applicable to modern times is still totally a good thing. You'd have to be a total rear end in a top hat to mess with something like that.

They still don't look convinced. No one puts enough stock in Faeries - we don't lie. At least, I don't, basically ever. "Ughhh, fine." I put a hand to my heart and hold the other hand up in a salute, in a mocking imitation of what I think girl scouts do. No real idea, never was one. "Seriously, you two are like, my friends. You have my protection - and I'm Summer Court." I've definitely told both of them that, but it never hurts to remind them. "It's totally a tradition too! And there's like, a good reason people participate, everyone says it's like... tons of fun!"

I need another drink, but I have a temporary substitute in mind. Withdrawing my personal baggie of Pixie dust for the evening, I grin at my compatriots (and Hawk, to a lesser extent). "Besides, you only live once, right?" I am totally dying to take a hit, but I have self control. "YOLO or whatever? C'mon, have fun with me! Besides, it's the Breaking of the Mead soon!" You wouldn't know it from that name, but it's just a drinking contest between the different groups here. Tons of fun, with arcane rules to account for dumb stuff like Spirits of Thirst and all that. I got picked for Wild last year, which was a mistake, since I got obliteratingly wasted. "You might think differently after it!"

The Summer Court didn't make me a herald of theirs without cause. I know how to do my job, how to convince people - and Cali's teetering. Giving her a desperate look - hunters take to that like catnip from what I've experienced - I silently mouth "You owe me," to her. She does, after all - I totally saved her from having her ears bored off by Hawk. The least she can do is trust me!

Spending a Debt on Cali to ask her to do a favor at moderate cost (some dignity) to at least attend the Baccanal.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 25, 2015

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Humans..., always so flighty. I suppose it made sense, given their limited lifespans, but you would think those of them with a bit of otherworldly essence would have a bit more regard for other members of the supernatural community.

Still, I was somewhat intruding on her conversation with spirits...though given that they were spirits, at that, they were of less import than I. Any spectre who didn't have the good sense to find another body to inhabit was clearly of a lower rung. Dragons found their way into human bodies all the time, you would think reincarnation would be a simple affair for human souls since they're designed for human bodies...but I digress...

"Think nothing of it, Madame, I am not offended." This time. "However, I would like to welcome you to the Nymph's Ring. I'm not an official employee here, but...being faction-mates to the faeries in charge, I would be remiss if I did not introduce myself. I am Pearl Raicleach, proprietor of Pearl's on the strip." I repeated myself, tempted to roll my eyes at having to do so, but I refrained. "I wonder if I could discuss a matter of business with you? I know, this is a celebration and all, but you are understandably elusive and a number of my employees swear by your skill, and there is something I am looking for that I am very much having difficulty in finding. I thought perhaps your insight could help me in locating it. I promise I can make it worth your while." I asked, keeping a bit of a purr in my voice and a smile on my lips for her. Vague promises were best, that way it was up to the other party to determine what was fair, and leave me in a position to adjust it as necessary.

Gonna roll to persuade Romalda with promises, and as such roll Mind

2d6+1: 9 [2d6=3, 5]

On a 7-9, they modify the terms or demand a Debt.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Blood: -1Heart: +1 Mind: +2 Spirit: 0
Mortality: +1 Night: 0 Power: +1 Wild: +0

"Pretty woman huh. Well wouldn't want you to miss out on what you've paid for." I joked. "Catch you later." and moved off into the rest of the party. Might as well knock Garret off my list. He's too young to be looking at the leadership in my opinion. Not that anyone seems to care what my opinion is lately but still. I have a job to do. I wandered off to where he was stood talking to some lowlife I didn't really recognise. "Hey Garret how's tricks?" I asked and paused for a moment noticing that his clothes were covered in blood. "I hope that's not your blood but if you need a hand I have a first aid kit in the trunk." Along with my shotgun and a few other odds and ends that you never know might come in handy. But the less anyone knows about them the better.

"Listen I need to talk to you about something but I don't think it's urgent so if you're busy now we can sit down for a beer later and discuss it." No point bullshitting around. I think he's reasonably honest for a cop so might as well just straight out ask him. Not going to pressure him given that I still owe him a few favours for saving my rear end. Besides there were a few other details I need to finish up tonight as well as touch bases with a few old acquaintances so it wasn't like a refusal would be the end of the world.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

"Nah, the other guy. Busy night for me." I said smoking a drag from my cigarette. Frankie was kind of weird really, I had saved his life, it might be because he reminded me of the service, or maybe, even though I was a terrible rear end in a top hat I just was a good enough person to not let someone die for no reason. I looked at my watch and realized I was going to be here for a while, I decided that Frankie, at least I had some suction on him and knew that I could pull in a favor if I needed too. "Sure, Beer sounds nice, I am looking for someone though, was hoping to get that out of the way. Not really my scene, not much fun, you gotta admit." I said honestly.

There was no denying it, fun wasn't really on the calendar for the event like this.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 26, 2015

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Uuuuuuuugh! I facepalm, and sigh. "I'm not promising anything except that I'm not leaving before the Bacchanal starts, okay?" I am seriously not buying that being friends with a faerie is going to make the likes of Carver's goons or some rabid werewolves back off!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"Seriously." I watch her efforts to convince us with a slightly amused smile, but she isn't gaining much ground. "Not living twice seems like a good reason not to spend your only life getting groped by a pack of demons if you ask me." But somehow she seems to have persuaded Naomi, and then my smile freezes as she tries to make me come along because she helped me out with Jake -who we're still stuck being relatively close to, I might add! "No way." I state flatly, shaking my head repeatedly at Lisa.

9:51:18 PM godfish_ refuse to honor a debt
9:51:22 PM godfish_ !r 2d6
9:51:23 PM Krysmbot godfish_, 10 = 10
9:51:27 PM godfish_ ......hahahahaha
I did not expect that result.

"Absolutely not. I'm not saying I don't trust you, I'm saying I don't trust the nameless masses of unnatural things here not to try and touch me during a Bacchanal." I'm feeling a little guilty though, going from Lisa's expression, and Naomi just agreed to go which she really shouldn't have. "Look, why don't the three of us just have a nice, quiet drink somewhere else while that's going on? It'll be more fun being just with people we know anyway." Plus Lisa spills information when she's drunk like a wet sponge, and I'll be able to keep an eye on Naomi still.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 26, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

I nod at Naomi. "I understand." Oh well. I suppose I'll have to find whoever sent the threat in on my own. Lisa starts trying to convince the other two to attend the Bacchanal and they seem to be getting into an argument about it, so I should probably leave. "Talk to you later Cali." I walk away from the group.

Heading back to the party, I start walking among everyone and keeping an eye out. I head for where the werewolves are gathering - if someone's going to start something because of the current feud, it might be there. Trying not to get too close, I watch the people nearby, especially anyone who might be out of the sight of security. Franca didn't say what the person calling in had threatened to do, but I figure I could probably handle whatever they were up to.

Investigate A Place Of Power (Wild): 2d6+2 5

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Are you kidding me?! If I hadn't tossed my beer bottle away already, I'd smash it on the ground to signal my disgust.

I thought they were my friends, but neither of them either trusts me, or wants to partake in a Fae tradition - even when I assured them it would be fun. Listen, I am an expert on fun. If Cali gave me monster hunting advice, I would listen to her, but she doesn't seem to respect my expertise similarly. Cali referring to us as 'unnatural' really says it all, and Naomi gives me the weaseliest confirmation possible. Having produced my bag of Pixie dust - the stuff I brought for myself, but had intended to share with both of them - I put it back into my bag, not looking at either of them. I'm too obviously pissed.

Jake leaves, and I'm gonna take a page out of his book. "Well cool, I'll hang out with you two like, later or something." I mutter to them, clearly already scanning the crowd for another group I know. If they're gonna treat me like this, I'm gonna find someones more interesting and friendly to chill with. "Gonna go hang out with other unnaturals." A momentary glimpse at Cali, full of silent fury at her perceived betrayal, and then I'm skipping off, waving goodbye to them (sarcastically) over my shoulder.

gently caress the both of them for making me feel unwelcome at a Fae party - I'm gonna find someone cool to hang out with. Not sure who that is yet or anything, but I'll figure it out. Oh! And I'm grabbing another beer, and gently caress it, I'm gonna hit this Pixie Dust pronto. Even when my friends fail me, it's always there to make me feel better.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Geez... I don't say anything as Lisa leaves, no guarantee I wouldn't just be snippy and set her off even more. Excuse me for wanting something slightly more concrete than a fairy friend to guarantee my safety in a pit of strangers! Once she's gone, I roll my eyes at Cali. "She'll get over it. Once she's done getting drunk or stoned, or..." do fairy drugs even make people 'stoned'? "or whatever, she'll be back to regular old Lisa right away. Now - what the gently caress was that with Jake?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I didn't have anything to add to the conversation at the moment, but I was curious what Rommy was up to with these spirits. I focus a bit more and the specters become much less fuzzy. Now... what would she want with them...

<Capfalcon> Figure out
<Capfalcon> Rommy
<Capfalcon> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon, 8+1 = 9

I'll hold two and she holds one.
Spend a hold to ask "What’s your character hoping to get from the ghosts?"

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

I led him to the nearest free table and waved over a waiter for a beer, which I pushed over towards him.

"Not really my kind of scene either these days I suppose." I said "I'd rather be at home with the missus but only a madman upsets the Fae without a drat good cause. Hell back in '91... Nah we've both got better things to do than listen to my old war stories. So I'll cut to the chase." I took a sip of my drink as I talked"I assume your better tapped into the wolf network than I am but there's a lot of jockeying for power and position at the moment with what's going to come down." I paused for a moment to marshal my thoughts, "Now normally I'd give less than two shits about wolf politics but an old friend of mine is mixed in the middle of all this."

I went on there wasn't going to be an easy way to say this. "basically people have been spreading bullshit about her. So I did a bit of digging and a few names came up as being responsible. Yours was top of the list." I held up a hand to stop any protest. "Now I don't think it's very likely personally. But I haven't lived this long in this town by failing to dot the i's and cross the t's. So couple of questions if you don't mind. Are you making a bid for the leadership? and either way has the name Steph come up any time when you've been talking to the other wolves. You probably know the wolf community better than me these days." I explained. "Of course I'd be happy to help you out with whatever your looking for in exchange"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

The beer was an open container and in a faerie place, there was no loving way in hell I was going to take a drink of that poo poo. "poo poo man don't you know the fairy tales. I'll have a bottled beer, unopened don't give a poo poo which type." I said as I slipped another cigarette out of my pack and nestled into the booth. "Not my choice of place for a conversation that you don't want overheard or on the grapevine." I said as I lit the match and took a deep draw it helped nullify the smell of fae around which was an uneasy mix of desperation, sadness and temptation.

"Well, I just crashed a car into Vinette's Limo, so I don't think I would be an up and coming wolf, to be fair he tried to kill me. I'm not getting a promotion for sure" I said smoking my cigarette, and looked over Frankie. "Not sure this is the place to talk, after all we are surrounded by people." I said with a sarcastic tone, the idea that they were people was laughable, it was more like feeding on human suffering and excess. How many burned out young people had he seen on the floors of the crack houses? He tried to shake his head of the thought and the image that circled his mind. "To be honest, I'm an rear end in a top hat, but I'm a straight rear end in a top hat."

"Don't know a Steph as far as I know, the only wolf I really have had contact with have been the little pups and this is their blood on my hands. So might be better to find the bastard who gave you the list, I bet you he is the motherfucker that got an axe to grind. Going to be honest, already at war, Vinette doesn't like that I took down the Leader of his pack, and the rest don't want to against pack politics." He looks around being uneasy among the Faerie court, the assholes were surrounding him and listening in on his business, and he hated that.

"Really, when you get down to it, there is a major player, I heard. Everyone on the west side heard about her, but no one knows her. All rumors and bullshit from junkies and assholes like this." He said moving his cigarette around the party, "Only got a name out of of a junkie when I was looking for a clients sister. Auvergne is all he give me. She is ghost though, and not in a literal sense." I took a draw of my cigarette, looking at Frankie with a serious face.

"The thing is that no one important in Night knows who the gently caress this Auvergne is. I've name dropped and got honest to go looks of confusion. Whoever is, is either drat good, or coming in front outside. Fits their MO, drop rumors and starts inter-gang power moves, but you haven't heard this poo poo from me." I looked at him and said something in a low as voice as I can in a miserable place like this, "Vinette made a move on me tonight, that isn't like him, he has sat on me for a while now. Why now? If I were to bet, I would start with that loving scumbag. I am too obvious, he hates my guts, and knows me by scent. It might be related to your Steph problem." I looked at the bartender who seemed to glare at me, handing me an unopened beer, at which I popped open with the side of the table. "Don't trust anyone here, especially fae, my nana told me a few the fairy stories, they are crafty motherfuckers. To be honest they are the worst kind of drug dealers... the nice ones. Not the ones you can excuse the rear end in a top hat junkies that go to the dark alleys that they should have known better, these are clean and respectable and worst of all likable."

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Garrett:
Right before Frankie arrives, Charly gives a shrug as he continues to look around. "Yeah, red-headed fae. They're here somewhere. Look, I can help you get a clean up, there's a showering area set up for after the boring stuff. Should be empty now except for others like you who've got poo poo on 'em. Just, settle down, man, it's a party. You know she's here, just look for her yourself." He goes back to dealing when Frankie steps in, then quickly moves to another similar looking spot further away. About the only people you aren't actively making uncomfortable are the people too drunk or stoned to notice you.

Frankie:
Given that you've been around for a while, you're pretty sure if no one's heard a name before, it's some sort of code name or something similar. This town has shadows, but they're all usually connected enough that names have histories. All that being said, why would people in the drug trade care about the Russians? Ivan's pack has mainly been guns, sometimes helping with people, but he knows fighting with the Summer Court over drugs is like trying to win an rear end-kicking contest without any limbs. Do you worry about how helpful the information is? How much do you think is actually important or relevant to your stuff?

At least you probably have one name off the list.

Najma, Pearl:
As Romalda looks thoughfully during the entire spiel, she smiles as you end. "Well, it's obvious that if you're looking for something that you need my help to find, it's probably worth quite a bit. If not in cash, at the very least in sentiment or power. You know how big deals work around these parts. A favor for a favor." She now leaves her hand extended, much like you did before. Is she being funny? Strange? Did she actually see and hear you before?

She'll take a debt on you for looking for whatever it is you want.

As you listen to the ghosts, the stories are pretty solid gossip. They tend to get a little quieter once they figure out that you can listen to them. Might be another reason Romalda has things easy for herself, she has ghosts on the payroll. They seemed to be happy sharing them when she was the only one listening. Now, she seems to be listening to just the two of you.

Najma, did you know she was proficient like this in ectomancy? Also, what is it that you're hoping to get from working with Pearl?

Spending hold for the second question, so Romalda will get the jist of it.

Pearl, does it bother you that she seems to not care very much until she knew how important all this was?

Jake:
Well, there's good news and there's bad news. There's nothing actively threatening anyone right now. The place isn't completely safe however. Hannibal gets a hold of you on what he jokingly calls your earpiece as he speaks directly into your brain. "Well, well. Making friends, are we? Bad news, just found out that we've got potential trouble around the White Wolves. You know, Ivan's pack. Someone said they saw someone with a suspicious jacket on, but blended into the crowd. They assumed it was a man, about 5'10", wearing a hat of some sort. I don't know where Summer found these dumbfucks. You're on it."

Hannibal's calling in a debt for you to immediately start working security.

Why call you? Think they're under-staffed? How'd they even get through?

Cali, Naomi:
Both of you notice Jake moving with purpose somewhere. What's that all about? How much do you care about what he's doing?

Lisa:
What does Dust actually do? How strong is the effect on humans? On faeries?

Either way, your search for fun has met a roadblock of old and grumpy as you walk past both Garrett and Frankie, both looking like they're talking about something serious. Are you going to try to convince them to have fun, or just move on by?

Everyone:
While all this is going on, there's a dark-skinned man standing on top of the stage, trying to hype the crowd for the Breaking of the Mead. There's all sorts of ridiculous looking drinking contraptions that look like something only faeries could dream up. Other than Lisa, have any of you participated in the event before? Do you even pay attention to it most years?

"We've got 10 more minutes until Faerie Rooooyalty comes up here to start this party properly! You better get ready, because this year, we're not just settling for a repeat of last year. Kegstands ain't got nothin' on what we're doing here tonight. Have you even seen one of these things before?!" He holds up something that looks like a beer bong if it was made by Picasso. "Excitement! Fun! Probably at least one person carried out on a stretcher, but they'll all be fine!"

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Harm: 0/5 | Corruption: 0/5 | Armor: 0 | Hold: 1

Once sufficiently out of range of Cali and Naomi, I seize a table for myself, still fuming mildly disappointed. I mean, it's a party, I'm not gonna let it ruin my good time. And to ensure that I dig my personal Dust out of my bag, producing an old high school student ID card as well. Putting it down on the table, I carefully pour a a goodly amount of dust on the table, then use one of my fingernails to maneuver it into a line. Lifting the card at just the right angle towards my nostril, the dust comes down and I snort it deeply. Oh man, yussss. That does the trick, yes indeed!

So, quick Erowid summary? Pixie Dust is like cocaine, if cocaine was amazing. Instead of making you energetic and aggressive, it makes you chill and content. Kinda like weed, but without the sluggishness or goofiness, and way stronger. Harder to OD on too, at least for Faeries - humans need to be careful with it. And it's totally not addictive for everyone, like me, I can quit whenever I want. Just do it since it makes life better, you know?

"gently caress yes," I murmur to no one in particular, eyes slightly dilated as I pack my things back up back into my purse. This is waaay better. I can feel the music, I'm totally not thinking about bad poo poo - oh hey, someone's hyping up the Breaking of the Mead! Totally loving it, since like... you have no idea how much I love Faerie stuff, how lucky I am to be one. Ten minutes till the royals show up, better make sure to be ready when they do... Oh! And look at those drinking contraptions! This should be amazing, I can't wait to watch. Since like, gently caress participating again. "YEAH!" I announce enthusiastically when he's done, again to no one in particular, and then skip off.

I make it like... fifteen yards, maybe, when I get ambushed by the proximity of Frankie and some banged up looking guy I don't recognize. Hey, Frankie owes me a gun and it's not done - and he's dressed like, modern Sean Connery reprising his James Bond role. Like, half think he wore the suit in case he keels over all of a sudden and we have to bury him. And that'd suck, since I totally commissioned him to make an awesome gun for me since every other dealer has one and I want a cool one. To be honest, I was ridiculously high when I placed the order. Grinning at the pair of them - I'm both pleasantly drunk and high and at a party, I am in my happy place - I offer a hand towards the one I don't know.

"Hey Frankie, long time no see~" I wink at him, which I'm sure will set his decrepit heart all aflutter. Pretty sure that's why he took the job in the first place, which like... whatever? If I refused to make deals with people that had obvious crushes on me, I'd never be able to get anything done. "Having a fun time here tonight? You're looking totally serious, let's turn that frown upside down!" I laugh at how lame that is, but he's totally ancient so he's probably gonna think it's legitimately hilarious. Bet you twenty bucks he owns a phonograph.

His friend's giving me an odd look, and hasn't shook my hand yet. That's like, totally bizarre. What's his deal? "I'm totally Lisa Fayette, Summer Court Emissary, and you're?" And here's where he fills me in and tells me how awesome he thinks I am. "Having fun, right? You should be, it's a Faerie party!" High or not, I still know what I'm doing. I'm keeping an eye on this dude. Who shows up bleeding to a party?

<Rauri> Figure Someone Out
<Rauri> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 9 = 9
How could I get Garrett to be chill and have fun?
Garret gets one Hold for the purpose of Figure Someone Out on Lisa as well.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 29, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I let out a long sigh as Lisa sets off in a huff, I might have tried to say something but she's gone before I get the chance, and honestly, there wasn't much to say. I didn't think she'd take it so badly, but eh. She should know better than to invite someone like me to a massive monster orgy.

Shrugging at her retreating back, I turn to Naomi again. Seems like we had the same thought. "Yeah, basically. We aren't really the type for that kind of event anyway." Ah, good Jake. "Stay away from him. Seriously, he's bad news. Baaaad News." I put down my half drunk drink and grab a fresh, full one and give it a long drink. "In deep with demons, like, sold his soul deep. I mean if you really, really, need someone working for a demon go to him since he's probably the least bad of the lot. But. You'll be a hell of a lot safer and happier avoiding the poo poo out of him."

I grab up another fresh drink, and sigh. "Anyway, lets go relax or something. Somewhere without people I don't want to murder." Even if that limits the places here I can go rather a lot. "Can watch that beer ceremony I suppose?" Jake is heading off looking like he means business, but he isn't stupid enough to try and hurt a human with me around, so if he wants to start trouble with some other freaks he can be my guest. One less for me to deal with.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

I lean back and take a real long drag as I see her shamble up to us, I had known it was her before I had seen her. She had that junkie look and smelled she had been out for a night of more than just a little bit of partying. This was the person that was in my territory. Couldn't be Frank that was a bit of a stand up guy, it had be her, a fae junkie. I bet to myself that she thought that she would never have to clean up and she would never crash, and that was the mistake all of them made. You thought you were smarter, better, bigger than the drug and that was the failing that got you.

Wiping my hands on my shirt that I had given up for dead at this point, I stand up and stand closer to her looking down. "I'm Garrett, and you live in my territory." I said my eyes on her burning deep into them. "I figured it was important to get some rules out of the way, and then we can live together like good neighbors don't you think so?" I took a cigarette out of my pack and lit it as I stood over her looking down for a moment. The silence seemed to close in on us, "I hate to be an rear end in a top hat, but I want it clear here in now, you can do your poo poo with people in the game, but the civvies and the kids, you lay off got it? If you do that, I'll protect you and your place just as I would any other civvy." I said seriously as I looked her in her eyes.

"We agree on that, then we are cool and we might even be friendly neighbors, in fact, I got into- an accident on the way over. Could use a ride over, how do you feel about car pooling?" I asked with a smug smile looking at Lisa. "Really not been to this kind of party I have to admit, and also had a few punks try to kill me this evening." I said seriously, "War brewing among the wolves you know, and your place is in the middle of it." I said without waiting for her reply.

Garrett would have fun at this party if he had someone to be with and wasn't so out of place. A tour, or even a tag along would help since alone he will just flounder in people he doesn't trust.

Question for Lisa:
How could I get your character to agree and follow Garrett's Rules?

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ah, how disadvantageous to be in the lesser bargaining position myself, but...I suppose it couldn't be helped. "...very well, Miss Romalda, you have yourself a deal." I agreed with a handshake, then frowned slightly. "Now that that's out of the way, what can you tell me about the Pearl of Birroth's location? I know it to be nearby, but beyond that I have been so far unable to track it down entirely." I asked it casually, but it was after all, a very important question.

My memories of Birroth were vague, of course, as all my memories of my former, grander life were, but I recall her being a quite strict matriarch and foe. She was cunning, and strong, but she was also paranoid and wary of even her children and supposed allies. She bound her essence to the Pearl, in the way of a human phylactery, and coveted it above all other things, using it to focus her strength. Any who did not know the trick of the jewel were unable to slay her. Eventually, an enterprising foe was able to discover her flaw, and divest her of her strength.

I have to say, I always admire what I was so long ago. Of course, Birroth was but one of the many aliases I once went by - it is foolish to give anyone who could turn on you your true name, after all. And...the legend surrounding the pearl was of course exaggerated - I had a bit of a paranoid streak, yes, but to craft such a blindingly obvious weakness for myself? Never, I am sure. No, there must have been another trick to the Pearl, and how it gave me such strength in that bygone age. Of course, recovering it was beyond important, whatever it was that it actually did. Sadly, such things were currently not within my memories. However, once I recovered it, I am certain all it's secrets would be revealed to me, as always.

But for now, I simply needed to seem a knowledgeable interested party. My shopping for artifacts should hardly be surprising, regardless. But as I thought, true foresight seemed a peculiar and clearly falsifiable trait - if Romalda learned her knowledge from spirits - all the better though, since they frequently were witness to many varied and sundry enterprises, at any rate. I shot Najma a thin smile - just to let her know I was thankful for her assistance, thus far. I was, however, racking up quite the debt this evening, so far. After this, I would have to turn the night around, assuming the pearl's location was not entirely given out by the supposed fortune-teller, that is.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I frown, disappointed that Rommy had the upper hand here. I suppose it's really not my business, but it's just so frustrating seeing things come so easily to her! But... if she has ghosts working for her, she might have actually done some real work for once in her life, had to actually branch out from her natural gifts. So, yeah, it's a bit surprising. Guess she finally found some people who didn't really care that much about the future. Since, well, they're dead and all.

I return Pearl's smile, though. Always gotta put on a happy face for the fan, you know. Anyway, Pearl's getting what she wants, even if she's paying a bit more than what she'd hoped. In the meantime, maybe I can get something on Rommy... Ghosts, vamps, wolves. They're are all the same. They just follow the biggest, baddest guy around. And I'm pretty sure I recognize this one.

<Capfalcon> Putting a face to a night name
<Capfalcon> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon, 9-1 = 8
<Capfalcon> surprising!

So, who's the most important looking ghost there and what's their rep?
Also, what's Rommy worried about?
Also also, since I have an extra question because Rommy is a member of the Power faction, who's pulling her strings? I.E. what made her decide to actually do some hard work for once?

Whatever the case, I might be looking a little impatient to get going, but I'm not going to interrupt unless it really takes a lot longer. I mean, I did agree to help Pearl so I could get her to help me. I'd love to not have to actually have to call in Vincent's tip.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 1, 2015

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

I scoff. "He seems fine, as far as you-know-what go. Can't go around avoiding everyone if I want to get to the bottom of all these mysteries. Don't really care about this beer thing, anyway. You got a place in mind for us normies to go, once things here get all... weirder? I mean, until they do, I'd like to try and make some connections, this is the best opportunity I'll get for a while, yeah, but after people have started getting shitfaced, I'm all good to go." Seriously, it's a bit disappointing that turning to Jake for help with Carver seemed to be a dead end so soon, but that doesn't mean the well's been poisoned. "I'll cover your tab~" I add, with a smile - and an unspoken 'I have a thing I need you for so I'm totally buttering you up' tagged alongside.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

"Lisa" I said cautiously. Was she trying to flirt with me? I'm pretty sure she was. But for starters she was as high as a loving kite, she's not my type, she's young enough to be my daughter and I'm happily married. All reasons to say no. Still she knows how to stroke an old mans vanity and I suspect she's one of those kids to keep an eye on. She'll either go straight to the top or be dead in a ditch by the age of thirty. "I nearly have your gun ready for you. Just waiting on a few last minute touches. should be done by the middle of the week at the latest. My regular guy was out of town see..." I trailed off as I saw her staring at Garret. Was I reading it wrong or was there something more in the way they were staring each other down. They had history somewhere.

I didn't say anything. Although I was tempted to. I still had the pretty little puzzle that Garret had handed me to turn over in my mind. Auvegene, huh. I've heard that name somewhere before. Something to do with the catholic church I think but I might be wrong. Still at least whoever it is he or she is more creative than most. If I run into one more Dracula or Lestat.... But focus. Why would anyone care what the wolves were doing. Yeah your individual wolf was a nightmare in a fight especially if you were dumb enough to let it get close to you. But as a powerbase the wolves are useless. Yeah they controlled a fair bit of turf on the streets. And no one wanted to tangle with them on their home turf. But they had hardly any influence where it mattered in the boardrooms and the casino penthouses. Sure they'd be a threat to a street gang....

But maybe I was over-thinking it. Garrets's too dumb to lie to me so I doubt he's the one. Someone could've lied to him and he's passing it to me I suppose. Anyway I'm not Vegas's appointed saviour. I'm just here to do a job. If this aubergine or whatever wants to take over Vegas let em. I just want to do my jobs and get paid.
"Mind doing me a favour and show me around." I asked Lisa "I've been out of the game too long and don't know enough of the real players on the fae team anymore." Maybe they could tell me what's going on from the Fae side of things. Fae politics are always a goddamn mess but even the lowest brass on the totem pole might know things. People forget that their underlings have brains and ambitions of their own.

cashing a debt on Lisa to get her to introduce me to some of the more senior fae

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"Yeah, and fine as far as they go might as well be the definition of damning with faint praise. Trust me, you'll be a lot safer if you don't deal with any of them. You can get info from one of the other crowds." Well, this probably isn't going anywhere, so I finish my drink and shrug. "I was thinking about camping part way back and feeding some bastards hot lead," I mime pumping an invisible shotgun, "since the truce is only on spot. But after all this I wouldn't say not to a few drinks." So saying, I take another one off a passing Fae, and flip Naomi a slight grin. She wants something, plain enough, but what? I probably wasn't going to have any luck finding a demon with their pants down on the way home, so helping Naomi out probably the best I'll get for the nights work.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Well, she didn't turn me down, so it's worth a try to ask her outright! "You ever hear of Georgia Carver? If you haven't, you basically just need to know she's the worst parts of vamp and gangster, and she's at the middle of some pretty interesting situation. Missing Persons case, with some thrall or another, the kind of guy that has no reason to go missing. You up for helping me crack that open?" And what the hell, I'll grab a drink too. Nothing too strong, but I think I might need some liquid courage in me before the night's over. While I take a sip, I take a good look at Cali... Is she really just that paranoid about demons, or is there something special about Jake? "Bet you she's worse news than Jake~"

[4:57pm] Nown: Figuring Cali Out
[4:57pm] Nown: !r 2d6+2
[4:57pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 7+2 = 9

spending one of my two hold immediately to ask 'What's your beef with Jake?' I have one remaining, and you have one hold on me.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

So I suppose I've got another job from Hannibal, but I was already looking for the potential troublemaker. It's not too much to actually work for security now.

"I'm on it," I send back. As I scan the crowd looking for the White Wolves, I try to think why they might need someone else. There was that comment from Franca about how it's difficult finding anyone trying something since there's no walls and and it's just one big gathering outside. I'd think there's at least a good chance they didn't get anything past security, but with all the various powers and spells and whatever else out there this person could have something worse. Seeing Ivan, I head over and check out the people there. Let's see if there's a man matching that description among them.

I can hear the announcer talking about the Fae Royalty coming soon. I've been here before, it's an important event in the supernatural community and it's not a bad place to just relax. This year is turning out quite differently. Although if I'm lucky, maybe there won't be anything too bad going on. I'm doubting that at the moment though.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Harm: 0/5 | Corruption: 0/5 | Armor: 0 | Hold: 1

So, Frank's Friend? Kind of an rear end in a top hat, definitely not chill. Like, OK, he's taller than me, I get that. Everyone's taller than me, it's not a big deal, no reason to try and power-play it dude. Then the territory bit, which like... gently caress that. Who the hell does this guy think he is, and does he know who I am - who I work for? Seriously, most un-chill dude. And then rules?! He thinks he can just show up out of nowhere and start bossing me around, so apparently Garrett is just one hundred percent determined to harsh my mellow. And after all that, he wants a ride after the party. And reveals he's a Werewolf, which explains a lot of his behavior. They get really pissy about territory (ha!) and love being all 'look at me, I'm loud and angry and in charge,' which is the exact social strategy he went with - talking over me and poo poo like that.

Frank actually brings kinda good news though, which makes his friend Garrett being a jerk sting a little less. "Oh cool." I tell him first, studiously ignoring Garrett (while taking a protective step back). Seems both of them want a tour around the place, and ughhh, they are so much less pleasant company than Cali and Naomi. Don't want these two to attend the Baccannal, trust me. Frank just seems to want an in with some Fae Royalty, which like... yeah, I can work that I think. Definitely owe him for how steep a discount he cut me on that gun. Waving a hand as if to dismiss him think his request is a big deal, I offer him a thumbs up. "Sure thing. After the Breaking of the Mead, I'll totally put in a quick word and see if like, anyone wants to meet with you." Let's be a bit serious for a sec. "I'm sure they all remember you."

Accepting debt, Lisa will try and arrange a meeting between Frankie and some Faerie bigwigs.

Grabbing another beer really quick, since Werewolves are stressful as gently caress, I pop the top on the counter and then take a drink. Looking back up towards the remarkably smug Garrett, I'm gonna do my best not to piss him off while still letting him know this is bullshit. "So like, one, I'm pretty sure you're not like, paying my rent or anything. I totally only deal to friends, and they get exactly what they pay for - I don't like, cheat people or cut it with anything." I'm pretty proud of that, and it shows. Know how rare it is to be a totally honest drug dealer? How easy it would be to trick people if I really wanted to?

"And two, I'm like, The Summer Herald." I'm way more proud of that than I am my drug dealing, and that shows too. "Mess with me, mess with the people hosting you." I quirk an eyebrow, making sure he appreciates what that means. There's old magic, and older curses - and some of the most ancient of them are reserved for those that abuse hospitality. Seriously, look at any mythology, basically everybody loving hates it when people pull that poo poo.

That's been the stick (I should've just thrown it, ha!) now it's time for the carrot. "Now if you'll be a good boy," I can't resist making dog puns around Werewolves, it is a failing of mine, "As neighbors, I'll be happy to show you around for a bit. Doubt I'll be like, sober enough to drive later," hell I'm not sober enough now, "so not gonna do that."

Lisa doesn't see any real reason to follow Garret's rules now. Without perceiving a real benefit for doing so, or consequence for not, probably gonna stay that way.
Spending hold to ask question: What's Garrett's beef with drug dealers?

Rauri fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 1, 2015

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

I wait normally as the look crosses her face, the same look everyone at this lovely loving party had given me I didn't cringe and didn't back down, there was a deadpan expression, having had experience staring into the look without even a moments notice. Reality was not a sweet pill, and was more about swallowing it or avoiding it. Lisa was an avoider, but that wasn't an issue that I gave much of a poo poo about. As she talked to Frank, I lit a cigarette and replaced the one in my mouth, my beer almost completely discarded without even a second thought. After all the job was a better drug, and this was survival.

"Don't give a poo poo if you cheat, or if you cut it with poo poo. It is about who you target, keep it with your friends, and don't let some kid get in the middle of it. The second thing I care about your friends don't gently caress up some hard working tax paying motherfucker that can't afford to live in the Fae barracks, that seems like a reasonable request. I'm not trying to get in on your game, or your little party." I said quickly, annoyed she hadn't gotten a single point I had tried to get across. loving Junkies.

"Oh my the hosts? This is such a great party, I feel so welcome! After the reception I got, I am surprised they didn't try to stab me when I tried to pick up a beer. Who knows, the night is still young." I said with a bit of dry sarcasm and took a long drag from my cigarette, "I'm not messing with you I am trying to work with you." I said in a serious tone that would be more at place in a graveyard. I was serious as a heart attack, I hadn't been a lone wolf by trusting people, it had come about by being willing to open the nuclear option on a moment's notice.

"Good Boy? You better watch those terms, or people might think this is an Amos and Andy routine." I said with a sneer and a bit of a insulted cheek back as the cigarette bounced on my lip and my arms crossed in front of me. "I know what you mean though, you have a car, I'm about sober as I can get due to this lovely reception, so I'll drive. Think of it as a compromise, you get a ride home, and we start this off on the right foot, but gently caress, this party has been the wrong foot since I even tried to come here today." I said glancing into the crowd littered with assholes and jerkoffs and most likely the least friendly and welcoming crowd.

Spending hold to ask question: What's Garrett's beef with drug dealers?- TLDR
This is a complex reason and issue, to Garrett he was in the army when they went into Thailand and Central America in the army. He saw the destruction and the horrible disfigurement and torment that the drug trade caused those countries. In Thailand, he even had a shoot a few poppy field guards on a patrol. Coupled with that, he comes back to the united states and the war on drugs turns the situation that was rather level and equal into a hostile game that caused a lot of people in the way to get killed. Unlike someone like Lisa who just sees the initial sale, Garrett has to see the aftermath of the drug trade, the broken home and dead families. The small children abused and discarded by their junkie parents and the consequences of excess. He saw it for years, and found that some people are already lost, and the rest are the normal regular everyday taxpayers that just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The security guard that was walking home at the wrong time, and confused for a cop and caught a bullet, or the hooker that ODed from the heroin that her pimped hooked her on to keep making her work for him. As a cop he got to see all of this and to see a party devoted to it, is a lavish symbol of excess and the idea that the bad things just couldn't happen to them. To Garrett they aren't a statistic or just another case they were a name and a family, a person that he knew. He got to know them better than anyone else to try to help them, but in the end it left him alone and a drunk. You can only stare into the depths of sadness so long before it hardens your heart.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 2, 2015

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Pearl

"Well, Miss Reicleach, it's not just going to be something I can summon up the location of. Not without some insight into what it is, why it's important. I can do a quick read of the situation with that information, but I'll need some quiet and about three less of these.." The fortune teller holds up her drink that looks to be some sort of fae concoction given all the colors in it. "..If you want anything more specific. Still, I'm at your service, so until it's found, I'll be assisting you."

How close do you want to play this? How much info can you release into the wild like this? Do you think anyone else would want the pearl other than yourself and the current owner?

Najma

As you inspect the spiritual entities, you notice that only one of them has any sort of real shape to himself. He's wearing what appears to be a polyester suit in a shade best described as Radioactive Urine. From that alone, you recognize him as Tommy The Tongue, which is a nickname about as gross as his suit, a former mafia incompetent here in town. He was born into the family, which is the main reason he got killed in a turf war rather than taken out back. Still, he's surprisingly good at finding out information, and from what you've heard, the becoming dead thing made him slightly less useless. "Hey, bright eyes. Like what you see?"

As far as Rommy goes, she's worried about being here, which explains why she went straight for the drinks and the spirits. The spectral community tends to be neutral in nearly every conflict, so it's a relatively safe place to be. Probably some vague psychic unease. She's working because she knows she's only as good as her last big gig, and she wants to have enough to show in case she needs protection from the coming conflicts. On that note, how did your last case go?

Jake

Could the security people have given a more vague description? Still, there's at least a handful of people fitting this description, and there's no real way to tell them apart from other garishly dressed people. A few guys wearing dusters in the wizardly parts of the Ring, some people wearing those puffy vests near the werewolves, and then there's young fae with jackets that look like they're from a post-apocalyptic war, silver spikes on leather jackets. It's a giant loving mess.

Any of your demonic gifts going to be able to help you here? Anything to get into people's heads? Maybe some x-ray vision? There's got to be something to get through the haze.

Everybody

As the hypeman steps aside, a woman dressed in a ridiculously sparkly dress grabs hold of the magical microphone, completely wireless and speakerless as it is, and starts to speak to the group assembled. "Welcome, one and all, to this autumn's premiere event hosted by the Summer Court." She pauses to allow for applause, which does seem a little forced. "Now, before the events of the Breaking begin, I would like to thank everyone for attending and keeping things peaceful. I know that out there, we won't always be seen as friends, but it is nice to be able to set aside our differences for a few hours and enjoy ourselves. We hope that this is the sign of things to come, that we can work together and forge a brighter Vegas. Make the light shine like it never has before."

She pauses again, before making a dramatic flourish towards the competitors, multiple teams lined up for various drinking competitions. "And now, onto the games! Now, onto the Breaking of the Mead!" A few abnormally large barrels are held over the competition area, where all the team captains seemed to be paired in ritually tapping the kegs at the same time. There is a big cheer as this is done, signalling that everyone can go back to whatever they were up to.

Lisa, who was that and what title does she hold over Vegas?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Georgia Carver... Well, I'm not entirely sure if the name rings a bell, but the description might. Hrm. I wrack my brains for a bit in the background trying to think if I know them or not.

2:18:30 PM godfish put a face to a name
2:18:33 PM godfish !r 2d6+1
2:18:42 PM Krysmbot joined the channel.
2:18:50 PM godfish !r 2d6+1
2:18:51 PM Krysmbot godfish, 5+1 = 6
2:18:55 PM godfish cursesssss

"Yeah, I'll help you out. Not one for letting freaks go around taking advantage of us humans." I take a sip on my latest drink, starting to slow down a bit. Don't want to get too drunk too fast. And then she goes on about Jake a bit and a take a longer one. Whoops. "Oh, probably. He isn't bad as far as they go. But that doesn't mean he won't be as soon as his demon master decides he needs a pile of dead babies for some ritual. Look at loving Morningstar."

Spending my hold to ask, How can I get you to stay away from Jake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

"Of course. I'll make it easier for you - you know where my place of business is located, yes? Meet me there, tomorrow, and I'll give you any information about the pearl that you may desire." I offer her a broad smile and nod; potentially a reasonable request coming from the fortune teller - or giving her time to come up with a proper scam, of course. Either way, I'd suss the truth of it out, and this wasn't the place to be airing all of my desires, anyway.

I would have no doubt that anyone else who learned what the pearl was capable of would covet it as I do. But then it did seem that the proper festivities were starting, anyway - something that prompted me to allow myself a small smile in celebration. As such, I excused myself from Romalda's company, and Najma's too, unless she wanted to come along with me, of course, and headed toward the impromptu stage. Technically, this entire changing of the seasons ceremony was faerie business, but nevertheless, I really ought to make an appearance of some sort - keep myself visible, so my clientele knows where to look. There should be plenty of individuals around familiar with me and my services to be able to point me out to their friends; and with a bit of sway in my step and a coy smile playing on my lips, I was sure to both turn some heads and part the crowd to get me close enough to the stage to be visible and get myself involved in the whole tapping the keg business. Exposure was good for business, after all.

Going to distract the crowd~

(MobileWorserer) !r 2d6+1
(Krysmbot) MobileWorserer, 8+1 = 9
(MobileWorserer) Bully

I would like to Create an Opportunity and Confuse them for Some Time - via acting like I was supposed to be there doing that all along, after all.

• Locked thread