Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
One time I went to the zoo and got to feed apple slices to one :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Bedlamdan posted:

I'm incredibly envious

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bedlamdan posted:

You just got tricked into facilitating their population culling efforts, apples are super poisonous to sloths. Good job murdering an endangered species.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Apparently sloths climb into outhouses at night to eat poo poo. http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2010/04/26/two-toed-toilet-sloths/ (contains a picture of a filthy sloth peeping out of an outhouse seat, you've been warned)

quote:

The behaviour was first reported in November 2001 when a sloth was discovered hanging from the wooden bars within the latrine. “It was scooping with one hand from the semi-liquid manure composed of faeces, urine and toilet paper and then eating from the hand” (Heymann et al. 2010, p. 1 of preprint). This wasn’t a one-off. More than 25 additional reports of sloths visiting and feeding in the latrine were made, and in fact the behaviour only stopped in 2007 when wire mesh was erected around the building. Good photos were taken, and two are reproduced here. The photo below shows a mother and baby emerging from the latrine [from Heymann et al. (2010); photos by M. Stojan-Dolar].

Why would a sloth want to climb into a latrine and eat human, errr, waste material? Heymann et al. (2010) make a few suggestions. Were the sloths interested in the faeces for nutritional reasons? Were they drinking the urine because they required the salt? Or were they interested in the insect larvae that were present? We don’t know: at the moment the reason for this behaviour is totally enigmatic. Indeed it’s possible that this behaviour will turn out to be widespread. After all, sloths live close to people in many places. Heymann et al. (2010) further speculate that sloths could act as vectors of human diseases and parasites as a result of these latrine visits.

So yeah, they're a lot like goons.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Mad Monk posted:

what a coincidence, the sloth just happens to be my spirit animal. They call me, Sloth About Town.

sloths are also my girlfriend s spirit animal

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Naxuz posted:

Apparently sloths climb into outhouses at night to eat poo poo. http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2010/04/26/two-toed-toilet-sloths/ (contains a picture of a filthy sloth peeping out of an outhouse seat, you've been warned)

Hmmm that isn't so cute

Karl L
Nov 9, 2015

I spent money on an image and a few lines of text.

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

i would like a sloth please

I want one too!

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Karl L posted:

I want one too!

Gimme a sloth I'll put him in my extra bedroom and call it the Sloth Room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Naxuz posted:

reminds me of the pig toilet

• Locked thread