Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Zero is probably my favorite of the PS2 Ace Combat games, glad it's getting LPed. This game is the best one if you ask me. 5 had alot of annoying missions, and 4 is a bit to simplistic though, they are all good games though and the reason I still keep the PS2 hooked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

ElTipejoLoco posted:

I don't think there's a problem with continuing to commentate over the videos. The dog-fights come with subtitles (at the top of the screen, so it might be hard to parse for most people who are used to them being at the bottom), and you can always just link to the music tracks in a post. Those should be enough, right?

Mostly.

To clarify my earlier point, while I usually agree that there isn't too much exciting going on outside of the gameplay for most levels, there are times where I personally feel the general atmosphere created by a level would be ruined by commentary. In this game alone, I would say that 3 or more accurately 2.5 missions (for those who played this game: Inferno, the tail end of Stage, Zero) do such a good job of setting the tone that it would be a tragedy to not see them as they were meant to be played.

But for the most part, simply linking the music used in each mission would be good enough; I'll be the first to admit that Ace Combat in general is a lot more fun to actually play than it is to watch.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

As someone who has never played any of these games before, please keep commentary.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It is interesting to hear the English dialogue for this game since it is before really good localisation was achieved. The name of the co-pilot, the speech he gives... It's charmingly eccentric.

Just how tight is the turning circle of the jet you played in the first mission? You seemed to turn on a dime.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ace Combat is in no way a flight sim. It's an action hero flight sim.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The issue with Ace Combat games is that they're all the exact same action movie and you're always the same action hero. Fortunately, they make up for that with the music. Zero is probably the best in that regard, because super high speed jet dogfighting mariachis, but all of the others have really great songs (AC4's Rex Tremendae, AC5's many tracks such as Shorebirds, or AC6's Liberation of Gracemeria) but in my opinion nothing really matches Zero's main track: Zero. Only the remix of Blue Skies from AC4 that was used in Infinity comes close to matching it.

If you have a PS2 and haven't played AC4, AC5 and AC Zero, order them now and play through them. They're only about 8 hours each, but there's nothing else really like the Ace Combat series, one of the few game series that is only really successful due to its presentation rather than strong gameplay.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Ace Combat is in no way a flight sim. It's an action hero flight sim.
Not necessarily a bad thing; arcade-type flighty games are few and far between and WE NEED ANOTHER CRIMSON SKIES ALREADY.
Sorry. Anyway, the point is dogfighting is a pretty drat adrenaline-packed activity that really shouldn't be restricted to people who know where on the airplane would you find flaps, what's the maximum speed of an unladen AA missile or which combination of shift, control and a function key allows you to steer the thing away from rapidly approaching ground.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 18, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

anilEhilated posted:

Not necessarily a bad thing; arcade-type flighty games are few and far between and WE NEED ANOTHER CRIMSON SKIES ALREADY.
Sorry.

Oh no, I love Ace Combat. Just saying it's not something where energy retention, planned maneuvers, etc are going to be a thing.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
Commentary is great, but the game does a drat good job of begin awesome on it's own. It would be a horrible amount of work but you could just cut commentary when people talk in the game(and it's important.) Also I'd totally commentate.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The issue with Ace Combat games is that they're all the exact same action movie and you're always the same action hero. Fortunately, they make up for that with the music. Zero is probably the best in that regard, because super high speed jet dogfighting mariachis, but all of the others have really great songs (AC4's Rex Tremendae, AC5's many tracks such as Shorebirds, or AC6's Liberation of Gracemeria) but in my opinion nothing really matches Zero's main track: Zero. Only the remix of Blue Skies from AC4 that was used in Infinity comes close to matching it.

If you have a PS2 and haven't played AC4, AC5 and AC Zero, order them now and play through them. They're only about 8 hours each, but there's nothing else really like the Ace Combat series, one of the few game series that is only really successful due to its presentation rather than strong gameplay.

That moment when the Blue Skies remix play was great.

I think out of the 3 listed there, AC5 has my favorite OST for the amount of great songs in it, though the track Zero itself from AC0 is hard to beat.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
drat, it's a real long while since I last played Ace Combat Zero. Going to be real interesting to see what others have to say about the game. Actually remembered the time when I found out you could select which targets you wanted instead of letting it auto track a target, it was a glorious-3-seconds-before-lawn-darting. Which I missed in other installments.

Honestly wouldn't mind if you had two different videos, one with commentary and another without. Wouldn't really be that hard if you're doing post commentary.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Ace Combat is an accurate representation of how people in the Air Force view themselves.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Samovar posted:

It is interesting to hear the English dialogue for this game since it is before really good localisation was achieved. The name of the co-pilot, the speech he gives... It's charmingly eccentric.

Just how tight is the turning circle of the jet you played in the first mission? You seemed to turn on a dime.

If you think this baby turns tight, you're in for a big surprise. The jets you begin the game with all handle like big rigs compared to some of the stuff you can purchase later.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
To the point of lawn darting from the starting point.

Oh lordy, I just remembered the first time I played this game and I game overed in the first mission solely because I RAMMED INTO ONE OF THE BOMBERS, by accident.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Casualty posted:

If you think this baby turns tight, you're in for a big surprise. The jets you begin the game with all handle like big rigs compared to some of the stuff you can purchase later.

The Ace Combat series from 04-on in particular has a HUGE hard-on for the F-22. It's basically a flying "I WIN" button.

You can also tell that Namco didn't think very highly of Xbox 360 players because the first plane they give you in Ace Combat 6 is the F-16, an otherwise mid-tier plane that would be unlocked about a quarter of the way through the game. Of course, 6 also takes place in 2015 (which means it'll be 2016 by the time we get to it :v:), so it would make sense that a nation like Canada Emmeria would have retired most of its Cold War-era flying trash cans by then.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

nine-gear crow posted:

The Ace Combat series from 04-on in particular has a HUGE hard-on for the F-22. It's basically a flying "I WIN" button.

You can also tell that Namco didn't think very highly of Xbox 360 players because the first plane they give you in Ace Combat 6 is the F-16, an otherwise mid-tier plane that would be unlocked about a quarter of the way through the game. Of course, 6 also takes place in 2015 (which means it'll be 2016 by the time we get to it :v:), so it would make sense that a nation like Canada Emmeria would have retired most of its Cold War-era flying trash cans by then.

I think that's a concession of the game's plot and development time more than their mistrust of players. AC6 had the most limited aircraft selection since the PS1 era games, and nothing was older than the A-10. I suppose they could have tossed you in a Mirage 2000, even though they're typically statistically similar to an F-16 in these games, they're usually relegated to trash mob status like the MiG-21.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

nine-gear crow posted:

If it was Canada(common it is more blatantly us than osea) it would be the f18 or f35.....

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

nine-gear crow posted:

everyone I know who's flown with or against them in exercises says the same thing, so ... :v:

but I agree with The Casualty on the more probable reason the planecount shrunk so much. They had to redo every model for the ~HD ERA~ of glorious 720p.

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

bunnyofdoom posted:

If it was Canada(common it is more blatantly us than osea) it would be the f18 or f35.....

Should be the Avro Arrow :colbert:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

InfinityComplex posted:

To the point of lawn darting from the starting point.

Oh lordy, I just remembered the first time I played this game and I game overed in the first mission solely because I RAMMED INTO ONE OF THE BOMBERS, by accident.

I flew straight into my allies in AC5 alllll the time.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

(AC4's Rex Tremendae, AC5's many tracks such as Shorebirds, or AC6's Liberation of Gracemeria)

No mention of The Unsung War from AC5? :raise: Also I'm assuming you meant Megalith -Agnus Dei- there instead of just Rex Tremendae.

Weissritter posted:

I think out of the 3 listed there, AC5 has my favorite OST for the amount of great songs in it, though the track Zero itself from AC0 is hard to beat.

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel as well when it comes to listing AC soundtracks. With 4 on third because of previously aforementioned track and the Blockade track.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Good news everyone! I've gone and 100%'d Zero. I have unlocked everything there is to show off in the postmortem video for the game.

Now it's just a matter of getting everything recorded, edited, and uploaded. It was really fun seeing all the little goodies Namco put in there, and realizing nearly 8 years on that one mission actually takes place in the same location as a previous mission, but the only landmark you have to tell that is completely missable because the course you're told to fly takes you away from it. Yet if you wander off course for a minute... bang. Definitely something I will show off when the time comes.

I love this game, I really do :allears:

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

My favourite has always been 6 personally.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Should be the Avro Arrow :colbert:

I have wanted a 50's-60's era Ace Combat for basically ever since I finished 5.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cooked Auto posted:

No mention of The Unsung War from AC5? :raise: Also I'm assuming you meant Megalith -Agnus Dei- there instead of just Rex Tremendae.

Nah, I mean Rex Tremendae. That specific part just gets me every time. And I'm not actually a big fan of The Unsung War, it's a bit overdone. To me its the best example of what an Ace Combat song should sound like, but without the real charm of the others, if you know what I'm saying. Unlike the strength of character Zero has, the awe inspiring Rex Tremendae+Agnus Dei and the haunting Chandelier from AC6, The Unsung War just sits there being rather generic by Ace Combat standards.

Yeah, I bet the music chat is going to keep going until the end of this thread.

nine-gear crow posted:

Zero is my favourite of the Ace Combat games, but it took three playthroughs and this thread for me to realise Pixy was known as Solo-Wing Pixy not because he was a loner without a wingman but because he landed without a wing. It's the little things. :downs:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Probably my favorite piece of AC fanart:

:black101:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Phy posted:

I have wanted a 50's-60's era Ace Combat for basically ever since I finished 5.

Me too. Flying an A-4 or the century-series aircraft in these types of games is something that hasn't really been done yet. It'd be really interesting because of how one-dimensional most designs of that era were.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Considering this is basically Area 88: The Video Game But More Mechaesque And With Less Mercenary Exploitation I would really like an F8 Crusader some time.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Night10194 posted:

Considering this is basically Area 88: The Video Game But More Mechaesque And With Less Mercenary Exploitation I would really like an F8 Crusader some time.

One of the things Assault Horizon did best (WHICH YOU SHOULD DO) is let you take on MiG-21s in an F-4. In the desert. It's almost literally Area 88 to a degree no Strangereal game could duplicate.

Alas, the Area 88 The Videogame part didn't last long, but it was great while it did. Also I have opinions about AH that may be relevant in three years whenever crow gets there.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Area 88 The Videogame (not the shootemup) is something I really want since seeing Area 88.

Right down to the mercenary serfdom and the evil company store.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SF2 could have been it, if it's economy hadn't been so thoroughly broken.

I want a 60s game where half of my equipment doesn't work in the clouds, and the other half overheats in the sun. Take it to the extreme, so that every plane has two personalities with different weapons and paint schemes switching on the fly depending on the atmospheric conditions.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

One of the good things about having completed the Assault Records now is that I can go in and add each mission's relevant special Ace encounters to the end of each update. I'll put this one here just so that everyone can see it, but from now on they will be included in each mission update post. Note: these will be added whether the aces in question appear in the mission or not.

Frank Friedrich
"Tiger"
30, Male, Belka
04.02.95 Operation Crossbow - Shot Down
F-5E Tiger II* Special Plane Colour Unlocked
Difficulty: Any
Ace Style: Mercenary

Assigned to an aggressor squadron that plays the role of the enemy in combat practice, he was sent to the front when the war situation worsened. He now serves as an instructor at the Heierlark Air Base in North Osea.

Felix Boesch
"Blitz"
29, Male, Belka
04.02.95 Operation Crossbow - Killed In Action
J35J Draken
Ace Style: Soldier

Having gone missing in action during an attack on the Valais Air Base, his remains were discovered in the surrounding mountains after the war. His remains were verified through dental records and, along with personal effects, sent to surviving family.

Rudi Kaltz
"Dryade"
28, Male, Belka
04.02.95 Operation Crossbow - Killed In Action
F-4E Phantom II
Ace Style: Knight

In 1987, he enlisted as a volunteer in the Belkan Air Force, and went on to forge a brilliant war record during the Belkan invasion of Ustio. During an aerial battle over Valais Air Base, he was shot down and killed by the Mercenary Pilots stationed there.

Oswald Baermann
"Regen"
34, Male, Belka
F-117A Nighthawk
Difficulty: Expert
Ace Style: Any

After the war, he hid out in South Belka, presently North Osea, and organized a terrorist unit of former Belkan soldiers known as The Falcons of Dawn. To date he has organized seven acts of terror against the Osean Federation and remains at large.

Karlheinz Litbarski
"Wal"
42, Male, Belka
XB-70
Difficulty: Ace
Ace Style: Any

A member of the Belkan Air Force's Aviation Test Corps with a record of 6000 hours of test flight time under his belt. He moved to the front line shortly after the war's outbreak. He is now working as a consultant for the Osea Air Defense Force Technology Development Bureau.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 20, 2015

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

ninjahedgehog posted:

Probably my favorite piece of AC fanart:

:black101:

oh jesus I am feeling terrible about that piece these days. SO MANY ISSUES ;_________;

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Skwerl posted:

oh jesus I am feeling terrible about that piece these days. SO MANY ISSUES ;_________;

What are you talking about? Larry is flying up to Heaven on a wing of fire to shoot God in the face with an XMAA. It's beautiful :allears:

Honestly, it is a very cool image. I think you might be selling yourself short on it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hey, is that a painted F-117? I thought those had to be black by law.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

nine-gear crow posted:

What are you talking about? Larry is flying up to Heaven on a wing of fire to shoot God in the face with an XMAA. It's beautiful :allears:

Honestly, it is a very cool image. I think you might be selling yourself short on it.

Oh nah, that's usually how it goes for me, see old work and start to realize ALL THE STUFF I DIDNT KNOW ABOUT BACK THEN
every once in a while I am tempted to rework my old acz pieces but..... :effort:

I originally picked up art so I can do acz fan arts, THEN I realized I got stuck so I powerleveled on it for a bit (and got addicted to it at the same time)
Fast forward to grad school for medical/scientific illustration and animation, my thesis work was heavily inspired by Ace Combat series.
I even got Yuri Lowenthal to narrates my thesis because I am a huge loving nerd :unsmith:

now I am in my line of job because I originally started out wanting to draw ACZ fan arts :gonk:

Skwerl fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 20, 2015

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Skwerl posted:

Oh nah, that's usually how it goes for me, see old work and start to realize ALL THE STUFF I DIDNT KNOW ABOUT BACK THEN
every once in a while I am tempted to rework my old acz pieces but..... :effort:

I originally picked up art so I can do acz fan arts, THEN I realized I got stuck so I powerleveled on it for a bit (and got addicted to it at the same time)
Fast forward to grad school for medical/scientific illustration and animation, my thesis work was heavily inspired by Ace Combat series.
I even got Yuri Lowenthal to narrates my thesis because I am a huge loving nerd :unsmith:

now I am in my line of job because I originally started out wanting to draw ACZ fan arts :gonk:

Wait, really? Is there a recording of this anywhere? Because getting a high-profile voice actor to narrate your thesis sounds pretty rad.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Good news for those who own a ps4, and can't be assed to dig out their ps2 to play Ace combat

I am unreasonably hype about this now,

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PS2 emulators on PC could not handle Ace Combat a couple years ago, which led to some funny problems. The "best" bug was enemies like the B-52 in this mission did not have proper hitboxes somehow due to how they were coded, so you could fly right through them no problem, you could shoot down fighters no problem, but your weapons went right through the B-52s like they weren't there. This made winning the mission somewhat difficult.

e: looks like this issue was fixed a long time ago though! Wow. I'm old :negative:

I have no idea if they can do the textures or the rest of the game though. It was bugs all the way down.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Psion posted:

PS2 emulators on PC could not handle Ace Combat a couple years ago, which led to some funny problems. The "best" bug was enemies like the B-52 in this mission did not have proper hitboxes somehow due to how they were coded, so you could fly right through them no problem, you could shoot down fighters no problem, but your weapons went right through the B-52s like they weren't there. This made winning the mission somewhat difficult.

e: looks like this issue was fixed a long time ago though! Wow. I'm old :negative:

I have no idea if they can do the textures or the rest of the game though. It was bugs all the way down.

I remember trying to emulate AC5's arcade mode just to see if I could a few years back and having all those issues. Textures on the ground were all sorts of hosed up and the fifth enemy was completely invulnerable. I don't remember that being that long ago, though. Maybe I just forgot to update my emulator.

• Locked thread