Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

Hey, is that a painted F-117? I thought those had to be black by law.

I looked it up because I was curious about this, and apparently the F-117 actually had some tests in gray!

The Air Force mandated that they all be painted black because they wanted to just use them in night missions (and forgot that black stands out at night). One was tested in daylight gray paint in the 2000s for Iraq, but then the Nighthawk got retired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
If anybody wants more stories about the F-117, I found a small handful while putting together that database I mentioned.
Probably my favorite was that some F-16s doing a night patrol managed to come across one during a test flight, spotting it silhouetted against the moon, and thinking they saw a UFO because it was completely invisible to their radar. They had to be told what they saw back at base, then sworn to secrecy because it was still a black project at the time.

On a more game-specific note, your Ace style changes a lot of things, even in this first mission. There's the first three aces being specific to one style as you already see, but dialogue is changed too. Most notably is Pixy talking about the reputation Cipher's apparently already made for himself, but also the other pilot talking about treating themselves to a little hot whiskey once they get back - if you're a Knight ace he suggests "hot wine" instead, and if you're a Mercenary he suggests "hot rum".

Also, Crow didn't really mention it but there's a few fictional "BM-335" bombers alongside those B-52s. They're kind of like a B-52 if it had a second fuselage welded below the first one. When you hear an ally claim "that bomber looks ancient" halfway through the mission, that's the one he's referring to - according to the wiki those things were around since 1951 in the game's timeline.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kadorhal posted:

On a more game-specific note, your Ace style changes a lot of things, even in this first mission. There's the first three aces being specific to one style as you already see, but dialogue is changed too. Most notably is Pixy talking about the reputation Cipher's apparently already made for himself, but also the other pilot talking about treating themselves to a little hot whiskey once they get back - if you're a Knight ace he suggests "hot wine" instead, and if you're a Mercenary he suggests "hot rum".

Also, Crow didn't really mention it but there's a few fictional "BM-335" bombers alongside those B-52s. They're kind of like a B-52 if it had a second fuselage welded below the first one. When you hear an ally claim "that bomber looks ancient" halfway through the mission, that's the one he's referring to - according to the wiki those things were around since 1951 in the game's timeline.

Thanks for pointing that out. This is kind of the crappy part about doing a single-run LP of a game like Zero that takes the time to vary elements of each Ace Style mission. Like how one stage starts with a pair of pilots ribbing their wingman about his girlfriend, and they pick different aspects of the relationship to tease each time. I'll try to point out these differences when they crop up in the game from here out now that I've gone through and played all three paths in close enough proximity to each other to learn most of their idiosyncrasies.

As for the BM-335, great catch! I only learned after the fact that they were actually a fictional bomber, but I left them off the Featured Aircraft list for this update intentionally because they have another, more prominent and plot-relevant appearance coming up in The Stage of the Apocalypse :ssh:

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

Materant posted:

Wait, really? Is there a recording of this anywhere? Because getting a high-profile voice actor to narrate your thesis sounds pretty rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL4_G74Cn54

Yeaaa I am still surprised he was willing to help me with it. I am pretty much in-debt to a ton of people for that project.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I am trying so hard to keep my inner nerd from just endlessly blabbing on and on about Ace Combat right now, you have no idea. Especially since this is Zero and Zero is the pinnacle of so much of the series. I will bite my tongue, for now.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Love Ace Combat Zero, I still play it from time to time on my PS2 (the only console I have hooked up still). Never did a Mercenary run because I was too much of a carebear to shoot enough retreating planes and neutral structures and such, and going after Espada 1 after his plane is disabled if you want to fight Sorcerer Squadron in the last Round Table fight left too bad of a taste in my mouth, especially in the cutscene soon after involving Espada 2, even if I want that plane unlock that fight gives you. Still haven't unlocked Typhoons because I can't get down to Mercenary quick enough from the high Soldier rating I usually roll over. Took me a while before I actually unlocked the F-18 Hornet for the same reason, my style was too high into Knight for a long time for me to get to fight Grun Squadron. Also haven't completed the Assault Records for the same reason, so seeing them all listed here will be nice.

I only got into this series after I saw the Ace Combat 6 LP here (and to a lesser extent, the HAWX LP) and decided that I wanted to play it myself after. Got Ace Combat 5 soon after, then Zero shortly after that. Haven't regretted it since, the games are top notch, and the soundtracks are amazing, especially the one for this game. I could listen to that final track endlessly and it really gets my adrenaline pumping when I get down to it.

Commentary is good, but sometimes, you just want the soundtrack and the pilot chatter to speak for itself. Some really good tracks in this game that give great atmosphere. Also, how are you gonna handle the split missions in this LP, the ones where you can choose which of the three you want to take on? You gonna record all three or just choose one? I know you mentioned that you're gonna do this LP as a Knight run, but what about the other squadrons you can face for being another style? I know one link in this game with Ace Combat 5 requires you to be Mercenary in order to see it.

nine-gear crow posted:

It was really fun seeing all the little goodies Namco put in there, and realizing nearly 8 years on that one mission actually takes place in the same location as a previous mission, but the only landmark you have to tell that is completely missable because the course you're told to fly takes you away from it. Yet if you wander off course for a minute... bang. Definitely something I will show off when the time comes.

I love this game, I really do :allears:
Is that seeing Stier Castle from Ace Combat 5 (where you rescue President Bartlett from) in the mission where you have to shoot down the XB-0 and Espada Team? I always go out of my way to fly over that thing ever since I noticed that blip on my radar. It's a real nice touch.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 21, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GhostStalker posted:

Commentary is good, but sometimes, you just want the soundtrack and the pilot chatter to speak for itself. Some really good tracks in this game that give great atmosphere. Also, how are you gonna handle the split missions in this LP, the ones where you can choose which of the three you want to take on? You gonna record all three or just choose one? I know you mentioned that you're gonna do this LP as a Knight run, but what about the other squadrons you can face for being another style? I know one link in this game with Ace Combat 5 requires you to be Mercenary in order to see it.

Updates featuring the two "pick one of three" missions will have three separate videos for all three operations posted simultaneously. These will be full videos because they're all effectively unique missions. As for the ace squadron boss fights, I will be doing full videos for the Knight encounters, and then curtailed supplementary videos for the Soldier and Mercenary squadrons featuring the boss fights alone. The lone exemption will be Mission 10, which will have the Mercenary encounter as its full video and then Knight and Soldier as the addendums, precisely for the reason you mention, without going into any spoilers.

Edit: Might I ask... Did you get your Jeopardy! check yet?

Edit 2: Oh yeah, Mission 10? FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK Schwarz squadron :argh:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 21, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
This should be good. I only really got into Ace Combat with 6 and the two PSP games, and have been grabbing the older titles here and there at secondhand media stores to someday play through them properly (this will probably never happen, much like playing through the Warship Gunner series). I did play the hell out of Airforce Delta and Airforce Delta Storm, which delivered well on the out-there poo poo like winged fortresses and tracked aircraft carriers and tunnel missions and stuff, but was probably weaker on the actual gameplay. I don't know for sure, it's been too long since I played and I was a lot less critical at the time.

Was Electrosphere really that bad? Of all the old titles it's the one I've wanted to find the most, entirely because of that :krad: title.

Sard fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 21, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
In all honesty, I have never actually played Electrosphere to see for myself, but everything I have heard about it second hand from other fans has not been good. At least about the English version.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

nine-gear crow posted:

lol, I did last September (like the exact day when the next season of Jeopardy started) and promptly spent like half of it at New York Comic Con the next month. I just never bothered changing my avatar...

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Sard posted:

Was Electrosphere really that bad? Of all the old titles it's the one I've wanted to find the most, entirely because of that :krad: title.

It's really only the (total lack of) story that gets everyone for that one. The actual gameplay is as good as you'd expect from the series, in fact it's the game that introduced the concept of alternate weapons to the series, even if in a more convoluted way (you don't get a second set of missiles to complement the standard ones, you replace them entirely, same with guns).

For the actual missions they did their best to make sure that we got some of the best in the game, even if it made no loving sense whatsoever in the bare-bones story. If you've heard of its most famous mission Zero Gravity? It's in the international version. And that's after you already go to the edge of space once in a Blackbird and shoot down bombers, which was pretty drat cool.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I am very glad to see an Ace Combat let's play and look forward to its progress. I played the hell out of the three games on PS2 and recently started another play through of Join Assault.

Way too many hours lost trying to get every single record, like Soldiers medal perfectly in the middle.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

nine-gear crow posted:

In all honesty, I have never actually played Electrosphere to see for myself

Mind if I post some videos (of the international version), in that case?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Oh hell yes, I love Ace Combat and Zero was the best one by a mile, in my opinion. The super stunted fauxlisophical dialog is also probably my favorite part of it.

Kind of a shame you won't be touching Electrosphere, though I can certainly understand why if you only have access to the English version. I couldn't even tell it was supposed to be in the same world as 4 through 6 until a friend of mine showed me his Japanese copy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

frozentreasure posted:

Mind if I post some videos (of the international version), in that case?

Be my guest. I said this to Lunethex earlier, but I suppose I'll just make it a blanket offer; if anyone wants to tackle Electrosphere or any of the other Ace Combat games I'm not planning to touch on, they're more than welcome to post the videos here and use any of the graphics I've made for the thread if they want to do write ups similar to mine.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Updates featuring the two "pick one of three" missions will have three separate videos for all three operations posted simultaneously. These will be full videos because they're all effectively unique missions. As for the ace squadron boss fights, I will be doing full videos for the Knight encounters, and then curtailed supplementary videos for the Soldier and Mercenary squadrons featuring the boss fights alone. The lone exemption will be Mission 10, which will have the Mercenary encounter as its full video and then Knight and Soldier as the addendums, precisely for the reason you mention, without going into any spoilers.

Edit 2: Oh yeah, Mission 10? FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK Schwarz squadron :argh:

They, no joke, forced me to change my entire playstyle up to that point.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
”Annex”

Mission 2: Operation Roselein – April 15, 1995

Overview: The Galm Team is deployed to Arlon, Sapin to retake Route 171 over the Aare River and secure a vital supply line between the Sapin and Osea branches of the Allied Forces.

ROSELEIN
This is our first tenuous thread in the tapestry of “HEY GUYS DO YOU KNOW ABOUT KING ARTHUR?! :byodood:” that comprises Zero’s internal mythic arc. In this instance, the reference is bound up more in modern pseudohistoric bullshit than anything that actually links back to Arthur and Camelot, but I guess Project Aces was like “hey, The Da Vinci has something to do with the Holy Grail right? That’s KINDA King Arthurish, riiiiiiiiiiiight?” And then everyone just sighed and did this :ughh: and moved on with their lives.

Giving the term the briefest of glosses (because it is anti-historic BS), the name is a two-fold reference to Rosslyn Chapel (formally referred to as the Collegiate Chapel of St Matthew) a 15th-century chapel located in Roslin, Midlothian, Scotland and believed to be linked to the Knights Templar and the Holy Grail thanks to works like Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code. And, of course, one of the major plotlines of the modern Arthurian mythos was Arthur’s search for the Holy Grail. The term “Rose Line” was also the bullshit term given to the Prime Meridian (equally referred to as the Zero Meridian) which runs through both Paris and London and serves as the basis for Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). The name “Rose Line” also comes from The Da Vinci Code, and a 1967 document from the Priory of Sion which also referred to the Prime Meridian as the Rose Line.

And yes, “Random, Tangential Arthurian References” are going to become a thing over the rest of the game. Strap in folks, we’re just getting started.

EAGLE EYE
Callsign(s): Eagle Eye, AWACS
Sex: Male
Nationality: Ustio
Signature Plane: E-767
Voice Actor: Daran Norris
On-Camera Actor: None

An operator aboard an Ustio Air Force Airborne Warning And Control System (AWACS) E-767 who serves as in-field mission control for pilots of the Ustio 6th Air Force division, including Galm Team’s Cipher and Pixy. Operating under the callsign “Eagle Eye”, he will be our eye in the sky for the rest of Ace Combat Zero, our ‘sky eye’, if you will :v:

Calm and professional, Eagle Eye never loses his cool, but has been known to occasionally rib the pilots under his charge. Eagle Eye will inform us of mission-critical updates, enemy dispositions, environmental advisories, and other developments from Allied Forces HQ. He will be our link to the outside world while up there in the unfriendly skies.

INTEL
Callsign(s): None
Sex: Male
Nationality: Ustio
Signature Plane: None
Voice Actor: Patrick Seitz
On-Camera Actor: None

The Valais AFB intelligence officer. By-and-large a forgotten about presence, he will relay our mission briefings to us via the pre-mission briefing screens and post-mission after-action reports. He is the on-ground counterpart to Eagle Eye, informing us about what we expect to be going into compared to Eagle Eye who informs us of what has changed since we arrived in the combat zone.

He comes in, does his job, and gets out of the way… Unlike some assholes in this series I can think of…

Aircraft featured in Mission 2: Operation Roselein

Mig-21bis Fishbed
Manufacturer: Mikoyan-Gurevich OKB
Role: Fighter / Interceptor
Manufactured: 1959–1985
Primary Operators: Libya, Egypt, Vietnam, India, USSR (nation defunct, plane retired)
Quick Facts:
  • Despite my deriding it as a “flying trashcan” in the video, the Mig-21 was one of the most successful Soviet-developed fighters on an engagement-to-engagement combat basis.
  • Could only operate in the air for approx. 45 minutes without incident due to poor design and placement of its fuel tanks.
  • …Like literally, the plane would spiral out of control.
  • :ussr:?
  • Gameplay-wise, the Mig-21 doesn’t have that much of a stat difference to the F-5E and J35J, so there’s no real incentive to waste your money on it at this point when better planes will become available in a few missions anyway.

A small, single-engine fighter, code named “Fishbed.” While its electronics and weapons capability are outdated, it makes up for it with high maneuverability and low cost.

AMMO
Missiles: 56
RCL: 8
UGB: 10
QAAM: 6

Repeat Offenders
  • F-5E Tiger II
  • J35J Draken
  • F-1

Gerd Vogts
"Glueck"
33, Male, Belka
04.15.95 Operation Roselein - Shot Down
Mig-21bis Fishbed
Difficulty: Any
Ace Style: Mercenary

Having been involved in twelve crashes and several life threatening accidents, his countless brushes with death have become legendary among his squadron. After retirement, he settled down in Dinsmark, the capital city of the Principality of Belka.

Lothar Fink
"Kritiker"
30, Male, Belka
04.15.95 Operation Roselein - Shot Down
F-1
Ace Style: Soldier

During the war, he was tried for leaking information regarding Belka's nuclear weapons possession. However, the case was dismissed due to lack of evidence. He remained a pilot until the end of the war, but the suspicions continued to cast a shadow on his record. After the war he became an anti-war activist.

Johann Braess
"Storch"
35, Male, Belka
04.02.95 Operation Roselein - Shot Down
A-10A Thunderbolt II
Ace Style: Knight

The conclusion of the war offered him the opportunity to proceed with a career in North Belka as an engineer in the exploration of marine resources. He continues to put forth all of his efforts into the mining of the favored next generation fuel source: Methane Hydrate.

Manfred Ketzer
"Wuerfel"
27, Male, Belka
04.02.95 Operation Roselein - Killed In Action
Mirage 2000D
Ace Style: Any

Shot down and killed in an aerial battle over Route 171, his remains, along with a diary addressed to his wife and child, were recovered from the wreckage. After the war, the diary was published under the title "A Letter to My Lovely Rose", and became a best-seller.

Herrick Engel
"Harpune"
42, Male, Belka
04.02.95 Operation Roselein - Shot Down
F-15E Strike Eagle
Difficulty: Ace
Ace Style: Any

Formerly part of the Anfang Flight Instruction Unit, he was moved to the front line at the outbreak of the war. During the war, he purposed fundamental revisions regarding the transportation of troops, as well as aerial fighting tactics at Area B7R. After the war, he applied himself towards reducing the operational damage incurred on fighter airframes.

Tracks Featured In Mission 2

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 25, 2016

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.
You will find bombs a lot easier to use if you use high speed diving attacks rather than low speed level attacks.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Are we going to be running into a lot of Area 88 homages/easter eggs in this series?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Crigit posted:

You will find bombs a lot easier to use if you use high speed diving attacks rather than low speed level attacks.

Or just being higher in general, lets you see much easier where the reticule is in relation to any targets.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

I never would have guessed Eagle Eye was voiced by Daran Norris, even though I'm pretty sure I looked it up myself once or twice before. I mean, I knew his voice sounded familiar, but when I think of Daran Norris, this isn't the kind of voice I think of. I think of voices like G0-T0 from Knights of the Old Republic II and Jack Smith from American Dad.
The briefing guy being Patrick Seitz makes sense, though, after hearing his voice in the last two or three of Feinne's LPs.

Fun story, my first time playing this game, I didn't know what exactly I was supposed to do for the takeoff at the start of this mission. I just followed Pixy without realizing I had to reach a specific altitude. How exactly I didn't already know when I'd beaten AC04 before getting Zero, I will never know. Maybe I just skipped the takeoffs and landings all the time because I was terrible at carrier landings.
And, yeah, off the top of my head Pixy's note about civilian buildings being in the AO is the only dialogue change depending on your ace style in this mission. Here in Soldier he leaves it up to you how to respond; on Knight he'll comment that he's unsure if Cipher wants to go through with the operation, and on Mercenary he says to just blow them up too. For those who don't want to do that, those two SAMs right in the middle of a bunch of yellow targets is exactly the sort of situation that the boresight was introduced in this game for.

Also, this is the fastest I've been namedropped in an LP out of two times that's happened now. :3:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Kadorhal posted:

I never would have guessed Eagle Eye was voiced by Daran Norris, even though I'm pretty sure I looked it up myself once or twice before. I mean, I knew his voice sounded familiar, but when I think of Daran Norris, this isn't the kind of voice I think of. I think of voices like G0-T0 from Knights of the Old Republic II and Jack Smith from American Dad.

Don't forget Knock-Out from Transformers Prime,AKA the most fabulous Decepticon.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Crigit posted:

Kibayasu posted:

Or just being higher in general, lets you see much easier where the reticule is in relation to any targets.
Pretty much this: the bomb will always land where the CCIP pipper is when dropping them and the splash radius they have is pretty generous. While UGBs are pretty basic, they are reliable and when flying high can be used to hit targets that are further than someone would think he'd be able to reach. :)

radintorov fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 22, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, UGBs are hard to use low and fast but pretty good high and fast. It pushes the CCIP pipper out far enough in front of you - especially if you have the altitude for a quick dive - such that you can actually sling them on target pretty easily.

Also, the MiG-21 may look like a flying trashcan (fair assessment) but for what it was meant to do (be a day interceptor) it did quite well. Enemies get near your airfield, MiG-21s scramble, engage, disengage, land. And there were certainly enough of them built to do it.

I'm sure most av-nerds in here already post in them, but two threads worth your time are the AI Aeronautical Insanity thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654
and the TFR Cold War Airpower thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373768

learn more than you ever wanted to know about blimps! About broadcasting on 121.50! And why Canadians are still upset about BOMARC!

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Skwerl posted:

oh jesus I am feeling terrible about that piece these days. SO MANY ISSUES ;_________;

Do you still paint art these days? Those two pieces that were posted on this LP are amazing and I would love to know the intent behind the commissioners.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Psion posted:

TFR Cold War Airpower thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373768

learn more than you ever wanted to know about blimps! About broadcasting on 121.50! And why Canadians are still upset about BOMARC!

You should of course have a weekend or even a week off to be able to go through that thread by now.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cooked Auto posted:

You should of course have a weekend or even a week off to be able to go through that thread by now.

Yeah, they'll take a while to power through but both are full of some good stuff. There's supposedly an A/T thread with some good stuff in it but I don't read A/T.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Psion posted:

Yeah, they'll take a while to power through but both are full of some good stuff. There's supposedly an A/T thread with some good stuff in it but I don't read A/T.

The military history thread has a lot of good stuff in it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

First page I read someone calls an M113 the Gavin and isn't poo poo on. A shameful thread. :colbert:

though at this point I feel like everyone's in on that joke, so maybe it's not all bad.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

I never liked using UGBs and just stuck with missiles (and my gun, I got to be pretty good with strafing runs) if I didn't have any guided anti-ground special weapons available. Hell, most AA guns or APCs are gun kills for me for some reason.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

Psion posted:

PS2 emulators on PC could not handle Ace Combat a couple years ago, which led to some funny problems. The "best" bug was enemies like the B-52 in this mission did not have proper hitboxes somehow due to how they were coded, so you could fly right through them no problem, you could shoot down fighters no problem, but your weapons went right through the B-52s like they weren't there. This made winning the mission somewhat difficult.

e: looks like this issue was fixed a long time ago though! Wow. I'm old :negative:

I have no idea if they can do the textures or the rest of the game though. It was bugs all the way down.

You can emulate it with a recent version of PCSX2 in software mode which needs a fast computer and it seems to work well aside from a few sound issues. There is a hardware mode but that causes a load of texture bugs. I dug out my copy and am playing through it again now.

Thanks for reminding me OP.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Also, totally forgot to mention earlier, that last ace from this mission, "Harpune", I'm pretty sure he's using a paint scheme from an aggressor squad in the Japan Air Self-Defense Force. I think they're called the "Hiko Kyodotai" (which apparently is basically "Tactical Fighter Training Squadron" in Japanese), they're rather well-known for having all sorts of unique paint schemes on their F-15's. In particular, one of their paint schemes was the inspiration for the default F-15C in this game and in Ace Combat 04, it's like the fourth or fifth image result if you look their name up on Google. If you've ever played a freeware flight sim called YSflight you're probably familiar with them, it includes like eight F-15DJ's in some of their colors.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Psion posted:

First page I read someone calls an M113 the Gavin and isn't poo poo on. A shameful thread. :colbert:

though at this point I feel like everyone's in on that joke, so maybe it's not all bad.

They are. Gavins come up as a joke every so often in that thread.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The UGB is extremely accurate - you weren't hitting because you weren't aiming at the target. The circle and the line in the CCIP are just window dressing - on an actual fighter plane they matter, but in AC they're only there for immersion. The tiny dot in the center of the circle is where the bomb will land, every time.

However, the best weapon for area attacks is one most people overlook completely (I didn't realize it was any good until AC6) and is rarely used. Used properly, the RCL can be used to draw a perfect line of death across the terrain, the trick is to steer it with your rudders from the side instead of trying to rely on the aircraft's speed to spread it out. It only takes two rockets out of the salvo to kill just about any ground target, and they hit close enough together to effectively guarantee kills. If you'd used it here, for example, you could have rendered that last bridge nearly devoid of life with one shot.

The Napalm bomb is absolute garbage.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Is there going to be a co-commentator or guest commentators?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Herr Tog posted:

Is there going to be a co-commentator or guest commentators?

Why, am I boring you? :v:

Yes, I have several guests lined up for future videos, I just felt that the first couple for Zero were best done solo, mostly because I wanted to get the ball rolling on this as soon as possible and didn't want to tie things up with co-commentator availabilities and what not.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Why, am I boring you? :v:

I see on your resume here on your resume; 'Works best with others' :v:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I really like the ribbon replays. They always looked so much more elegant than whatever the gently caress I was actually doing to my poor plane.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Psion posted:

:colbert:

:gay: It's me! I'm that guy. Yeah, everyone in the thread is in on the joke, one of the thread posters is even responsible for "Longstreet"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

AmyL posted:

Do you still paint art these days? Those two pieces that were posted on this LP are amazing and I would love to know the intent behind the commissioners.

I still do! Just a lot less AC fan art. http://pvtskwerl.tumblr.com/archive

I kinda regret taking that MLP commission, people are asking if I am a brony or not because of that...
The client wanted badassed pixy vs rainbow dash image, so that's what I gave him.

As for the pixy, that was something I wanted to do for a while.

Also some development history for ACZ, ACZ is pretty much a miracle product in my book.
If you guys think about it, ACZ was developed at the same time WITH ACX and AC6, and the development time was 10 MONTHS in total, that's pretty loving impressive for an end product like this. Very efficient of them.

Skwerl fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 22, 2015

• Locked thread