Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

ACZ is probably my favorite game of all time, and the one I've beaten the most. The core gameplay is pretty basic but there's an incredible amount of production value and attention to detail that really brings the whole thing together. Just remember that Knight path is worst path.

Also, eagle-eyed viewers will spot one of the long-running mysteries of the series in the intro, where the Autocracy (I think?) of Ratio annexes eastern Ustio and nobody seems to care.

Having rewatched the intro several times during the re-writing of the OP and first post, I caught that too. Like, Ustio giving Recta back its land I can totally see. It's like "here, you got totally hosed over by Belka and had to put up with these dickheads for 20 years. We probably don't have any right to hold on to land that's rightfully yours, please have it back." But then Ratio swoops in and is like "mine!" and nothing is made of it.

This is what's really frustrating about Strangereal, Project Aces released background details about the world seemingly at random, so there are whole parts of the map like the east of Osea or literally all of Verusea that's not Yuktobania that have nothing written about them. And of course, the stuff that Namco did publish was usually done in obscure source books that never made it out of Japan or were poorly translated and spottily cited, so like half the stuff listed on the Ace Combat wiki could very well just be bullshit that someone has made up and is passing off as "facts" because it's a fictional universe and they can technically get away with it.

Also, for the sake of keeping the LP concise (and actually finishing it), I'm only going to do one run through of the game start-to-finish and simply editing in the boss fights and interviews from Soldier and Mercenary mode along with the Knight ones just so we're not missing anything. I'll also do a wrap up video that shows off all the planes and paint schemes I don't use over the course of the LP.

TyrantSabre posted:

:(

I mean, I know I never had AC6 archived because I felt like it was poorly done, but still. Credit where credit is due.

I was wondering if I should have included a link to your LP in the OP, but the database is down right now so it's moot anyway, but if you don't feel proud of it then I won't include it. I'm still surprised that there have been so many failed Ace Combat LPs and I hope this doesn't bode ill for this project. I remember Concordat doing a subtitled LP of Ace Combat 5 that just sort of sputtered out halfway through the game.

Softface posted:

I forget, does the dogfighting ever get more intense than this?

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

One minor nitpick that may have been a slip-of-the-tounge on your part. At 6:22 you describe the QAAM as a "Long range, high accuracy, but single-target" weapon. The QAAM is a very short range (very close to normal missiles in range) weapon, which is the only thing that keeps it from being insanely broken even after being nerfed from the original Ace Combat 4 version.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gnoman posted:

One minor nitpick that may have been a slip-of-the-tounge on your part. At 6:22 you describe the QAAM as a "Long range, high accuracy, but single-target" weapon. The QAAM is a very short range (very close to normal missiles in range) weapon, which is the only thing that keeps it from being insanely broken even after being nerfed from the original Ace Combat 4 version.

Ah. Now there you go. I never actually used the QAAM all that much when I played through the games, so I'd always assumed it was a long range one to balance out its single-target disadvantage. I will probably have to show that of at some point in the LP because I mostly stick to the XMAA because, well...

I also accidentally call Pixy's F-15C and F-15E in the video :v: The E does show up in Ace Combat 6, not Zero :eng101:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Nov 17, 2015

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Get close to the explosion.

nine-gear crow posted:

I was wondering if I should have included a link to your LP in the OP, but the database is down right now so it's moot anyway, but if you don't feel proud of it then I won't include it. I'm still surprised that there have been so many failed Ace Combat LPs and I hope this doesn't bode ill for this project. I remember Concordat doing a subtitled LP of Ace Combat 5 that just sort of sputtered out halfway through the game.

Speaking as a fan and a would-be Let's-Player of the series, I feel like a lot of the difficulty has to do with the games themselves. There's a lot to like about them: the lovingly modeled planes and weapons, the intense dogfights and imposing superweapons, the sweet music, the interesting setting and geopolitics, the hammy dialogue... But once you drill right down to it, so much of the games' appeal comes from being part of the action, not observing it or commenting over it. I at least found it hard to come up with interesting things to say that didn't detract from the action on screen, or the radio conversations and cool music in your ear, because the action basically boils down to pressing Square when green boxes turn red, hundreds of times, for hours.

If you enjoy all those things, you almost don't want to ruin the atmosphere of the game by talking about it on camera, and that takes away from doing an LP of the games in the first place. If you're just in it to talk poo poo about the unchanging nature of the gameplay, or the idiots talking about heroes/peace/borders/angels/Warwolf for hours on end, then that takes away from choosing Ace Combat to do an LP on in the first place. At least, that's my view of the challenge of LPing the series.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I only have one question: when do we get to fight the Rectal Air Force?

Anyway, super interested in the series, never played it since it's console exclusive. Gonna watch with interest.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

nine-gear crow posted:

Ah. Now there you go. I never actually used the QAAM all that much when I played through the games, so I'd always assumed it was a long range one to balance out its single-target disadvantage. I will probably have to show that of at some point in the LP because I mostly stick to the XMAA because, well...

I also accidentally call Pixy's F-15C and F-15E in the video :v: The E does show up in Ace Combat 6, not Zero :eng101:

The advantage to the QAAM is that it pretty much does not miss. The thing is nearly (but not quite) impossible to evade, being based on top-end missiles such as the AIM-9X Sidewinder, R-73/AA-11, or ASRAAM. It is horribly broken in all the best ways. This is similar to the SAAM, which is extremely accurate as long as you keep the target in the circle.

The multi-target nature of the XMAA and XLAA is nice, but they miss much more easily outside of perfect-geometry head-on engagements, so their utility drops a lot after the inital pass of an engagement, and are most useful to whittle down the great swarms of planes that show up later on.

Gnoman fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 17, 2015

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

TyrantSabre posted:

because the action basically boils down to pressing Square when green boxes turn red, hundreds of times, for hours.

Why are you expanding your map when you have a firing solution, nugget?

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

Why are you expanding your map when you have a firing solution, nugget?

Clearly I was switching to my SP weapons. (Only that's only on AC6, and it's the X button there. Hush.)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

radintorov posted:

You could always upload them as unlisted and have them linked through the LPArchive? Maybe that might be enough to make it harder for Youtube to mute/take them down. :shobon:

I guess I could try that and see what happens but I'm pretty sure that whole process is automated as the video is uploaded. Been meaning to upload all of my videos to YT anyway at some point including the Halo and Splinter Cell ones.

DFlux posted:

On that note I am UTTERLY surprised there was never a Halo 3 LP of any kind on these forums.

What can I say, no PC version. v:v:v

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 17, 2015

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
On that note I am UTTERLY surprised there was never a Halo 3 LP of any kind on these forums. Though yeah like the others have said, Ace Combat LPs have a habit of crashing and burning. TyrantSabre's LP of 6 is the only one that's been completed IIRC.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
man, this is so exciting! Finally someone is doing an LP of this game...
To think I changed my career path and was hugely influenced by this series...... sigh. :smithicide:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Gnoman posted:

The advantage to the QAAM is that it pretty much does not miss.
It also locks onto anything in range including planes that are behind you. It's a instant removal tool for all the insanely agile bosses.

One underappreciated thing about Ace Combat is that planes fly straight when you let go of the controller.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DFlux posted:

On that note I am UTTERLY surprised there was never a Halo 3 LP of any kind on these forums. Though yeah like the others have said, Ace Combat LPs have a habit of crashing and burning. TyrantSabre's LP of 6 is the only one that's been completed IIRC.

I wanted to do the Halo series co-op with crow at one point, but we chose to start with a different sci-fi shooty man trilogy first. That's been taking so long that now I dunno if I want to continue onto Halo anymore. But yeah,I agree with Cooked Auto, it's probs cause there's no PC version.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

As I sorta promised all those years ago, if Halo 3 does come out on PC I'll do an LP of it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Despite my love for air combat games, Ace Combat always passed me by due to being stuck on the consoles for so long. Interested to see how the games play out.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
This looks like a good thing to watch between Ace Combat Infinity sorties, if only for the background story alone.

I've always admired the series for the flavor they put into their fighters, especially the squadron insignia and detail.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Despite my love for air combat games, Ace Combat always passed me by due to being stuck on the consoles for so long. Interested to see how the games play out.

You never owned a ps2? Is...is that even possible???

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

TyrantSabre posted:

:(

I mean, I know I never had AC6 archived because I felt like it was poorly done, but still. Credit where credit is due.

I, uh... forgot about that one :blush: Sorry! If it makes you feel better, your Stuntman LP was outstanding.

Mostly I was just referring to the litany of half-finished AC4 and AC5 LP's that have come through over the years, and the ACZero LP I was co-commentating for until the guy disappeared.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Shinjobi posted:

You never owned a ps2? Is...is that even possible???

Please don't shame me pubicly over this :(

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Hell yeah. I'd been thinking of doing these games myself, but between nobody making the basic effort to save loose game disks from our last house after it caught fire a few years ago, no working capture card, and an inability to get Fraps and emulators to get along, I haven't been able to.

Count me in as up for tagging along for guest commentary. And also, since I was planning to LP these games myself I've already got mostly-complete Databases™ for the planes in these games (for 2, 04, and Zero) kind of like what I did for my SWAT 3 LP a year ago, if you don't mind I could put those up on lpix and expand it as more planes are available/let people tear me a new one for getting things wrong or forgetting things.

Rorahusky posted:

Also, no, there were no fans of Electrosphere, because the English release was a horrifically gutted piece of trash with most of it's story and content removed, because whoever brought it over thought that English audiences were dumb and wouldn't get it.

Dr. Snark posted:

The story I heard was that the Japanese fanbase (apparently) hated Electrosphere when it came out, so the devs thought it would be better to gut it for the American release, and then the American fans hated the gutted version.

As I understand it, the problem with the international version of 3 was that the original cost the dev team a shitton of money. Along with voice acting for 50 or so separate missions, it had cutscenes animated by Production I.G., which wouldn't come cheap. I seem to recall reading that's at least the reason why 04's cutscenes are all basically still images with narration, because they didn't have the money to even approach what they did for 3.

nine-gear crow posted:

Actually, yeah, the F-15E does show up later in Zero. :ssh:
One thing you only really notice after killing your PS3 through playing Infinity is that Project Aces has the biggest hardon for the Eagle and Flanker families. Even in this game, where basically every other plane family that showed up in 5 got cut down to one plane in the transition, those two got three planes each.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 17, 2015

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Kadorhal posted:

As I understand it, the problem with the international version of 3 was that the original cost the dev team a shitton of money. Along with voice acting for 50 or so separate missions, it had cutscenes animated by Production I.G., which wouldn't come cheap. I seem to recall reading that's at least the reason why 04's cutscenes are all basically still images with narration, because they didn't have the money to even approach what they did for 3.

Ironically, the graphic novel-style custscenes in 4 was superior narrative method to the rendered cutscenes in 5, which haven't aged well.

Also, if we're signing up for guest commentary, then put me down too. Especially if you plan on using the F/A-18, since I used to work on those :)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Zero is probably one of my favorite games, though I'm not actually good at it. I think it's mostly due to the music, there are still a few tracks I adore even after listening to them in the car fifty times or so.

I can't comment on much right now, but I'd like to point out that the chain of lakes in the east of Osea are the same shape as North America's Great Lakes. Other geographical features from our Earth are also used in Strangereal, and we'll be seeing some up close and personal as the series progresses.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Phy posted:

I can't comment on much right now, but I'd like to point out that the chain of lakes in the east of Osea are the same shape as North America's Great Lakes. Other geographical features from our Earth are also used in Strangereal, and we'll be seeing some up close and personal as the series progresses.

Yeah, one of the first things I noticed on the map was that what's more or less recognizable as Europe is just sitting next to Yukobania. Also Wellow appears to be just Greenland and Iceland hanging out together. It's kind of weird and cool at the same time. I've never played an Ace Combat game, so this is going to be pretty interesting I think.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

As a fellow canadian I demand you do Assault Horzion just because the main character is Billy loving Bishop.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

When this is all said and done someone should do a quick LP of Infinity, because it's literally just the cool parts from every AC game the preceded it, blended together until smooth, and splattered onto the real world. It's glorious.

EDIT: It sure as poo poo isn't going to be me, though, because I can vouch as a failed AC04 LPer myself that this game is really hard to comment over. Pretty much every game mechanic is introduced in the first mission, and even if you think of new things to talk about, you're still competing with some ridiculously chatty wingmen, enemies, AWACS, and sometimes even civilian radio.

EDIT 2: That said I am totally down to co-comment if you're looking. Especially once you get your hands on the F-15C. :911: :swoon:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 18, 2015

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Ah, Ace Combat. Love the music. In fact, I bought a PS2 (when PS3 was already out) to be able to play the PS2 ace combat games after hearing their soundtracks on youtube.

Also seconding Infinity being a rather glorious blender of other AC games. I just wish they release more campaign missions since those were rather well done.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Weissritter posted:

Ah, Ace Combat. Love the music. In fact, I bought a PS2 (when PS3 was already out) to be able to play the PS2 ace combat games after hearing their soundtracks on youtube.

Also seconding Infinity being a rather glorious blender of other AC games. I just wish they release more campaign missions since those were rather well done.

I refuse to spend my hard grind-ed $ on the campaign missions for infinity.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

YOTC posted:

I refuse to spend my hard grind-ed $ on the campaign missions for infinity.

You can buy an unlimited Campaign pack and play them to your heart's content. Problem is, there's only 8 of them, they haven't released any new ones in a year and will certainly charge more for them if they ever do, and right now the game ends on a gigantic loving cliffhanger.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

ninjahedgehog posted:

You can buy an unlimited Campaign pack and play them to your heart's content. Problem is, there's only 8 of them, they haven't released any new ones in a year and will certainly charge more for them if they ever do, and right now the game ends on a gigantic loving cliffhanger.

That would be my issue with paying real money for it. And the money you grind is too useful for PLANES.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

ninjahedgehog posted:

When this is all said and done someone should do a quick LP of Infinity, because it's literally just the cool parts from every AC game the preceded it
Which AC had the Moby Dick in it?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

Which AC had the Moby Dick in it?

6. The Aigaion. One of my favorite missions in 6, it also has one of the best tracks from its soundtrack.

Also, quick thread question: A lot of you have expressed the opinion that commentary, no matter how well done, detracts from the overall experience of an Ace Combat LP, so would anyone be interested in me posting "silent" versions of each mission with the hanger/replay stuff cut out alongside the commentary versions?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

nine-gear crow posted:

6. The Aigaion. One of my favorite missions in 6, it also has one of the best tracks from its soundtrack.

Also, quick thread question: A lot of you have expressed the opinion that commentary, no matter how well done, detracts from the overall experience of an Ace Combat LP, so would anyone be interested in me posting "silent" versions of each mission with the hanger/replay stuff cut out alongside the commentary versions?

If that tickles people's fancies, then sure. Personally I don't mind commentary so much, but I do acknowledge that it's difficult to do the game justice if you're just talking over the hammy dialogue and awesome music.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes. Commentary is all well and good, but there are plenty of scenes in the series that should be experienced without anyone talking over them.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

nine-gear crow posted:

Even in the commentated versions, there are so many moments where the music can do all of the talking. I love this series, and am looking forward to when this eventually reaches the unbelievably hammy AC6.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Maybe post uncommented highlight reels of the dialogue and anything else deemed worthy? I suspect that this will create a lot more work, though.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

nine-gear crow posted:

the only commentary should be in-character as Dash Rendar. Let that LP define you ... forever.

Anyway I wouldn't watch any silent versions but that's because I already have the AC0 soundtrack and I've already played it. So I'm the worst possible person to listen to!

e: the two people after me both posted good thoughts, so, those.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 18, 2015

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah, I honestly wouldn't watch any silent versions either, but its okay to be silent at times to let the game speak for itself.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
As someone with no experience with the series whatsoever, I prefer the videos commentated. For one, it helps put some context to what the gently caress is going on, for two, even if the game's strength is in hammy acting, it doesn't necessarily mean you need to be quiet for all of it; if the first mission is anything to go by, just watching the planes would be pretty dull.

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Having raised the issue, I should probably also say that you should keep on doing commentary! Just be conscious of when to pipe down and let the game speak for itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
I don't think there's a problem with continuing to commentate over the videos. The dog-fights come with subtitles (at the top of the screen, so it might be hard to parse for most people who are used to them being at the bottom), and you can always just link to the music tracks in a post. Those should be enough, right?

• Locked thread