Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
man, this is so exciting! Finally someone is doing an LP of this game...
To think I changed my career path and was hugely influenced by this series...... sigh. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

ninjahedgehog posted:

Probably my favorite piece of AC fanart:

:black101:

oh jesus I am feeling terrible about that piece these days. SO MANY ISSUES ;_________;

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

nine-gear crow posted:

What are you talking about? Larry is flying up to Heaven on a wing of fire to shoot God in the face with an XMAA. It's beautiful :allears:

Honestly, it is a very cool image. I think you might be selling yourself short on it.

Oh nah, that's usually how it goes for me, see old work and start to realize ALL THE STUFF I DIDNT KNOW ABOUT BACK THEN
every once in a while I am tempted to rework my old acz pieces but..... :effort:

I originally picked up art so I can do acz fan arts, THEN I realized I got stuck so I powerleveled on it for a bit (and got addicted to it at the same time)
Fast forward to grad school for medical/scientific illustration and animation, my thesis work was heavily inspired by Ace Combat series.
I even got Yuri Lowenthal to narrates my thesis because I am a huge loving nerd :unsmith:

now I am in my line of job because I originally started out wanting to draw ACZ fan arts :gonk:

Skwerl fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 20, 2015

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

Materant posted:

Wait, really? Is there a recording of this anywhere? Because getting a high-profile voice actor to narrate your thesis sounds pretty rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL4_G74Cn54

Yeaaa I am still surprised he was willing to help me with it. I am pretty much in-debt to a ton of people for that project.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

AmyL posted:

Do you still paint art these days? Those two pieces that were posted on this LP are amazing and I would love to know the intent behind the commissioners.

I still do! Just a lot less AC fan art. http://pvtskwerl.tumblr.com/archive

I kinda regret taking that MLP commission, people are asking if I am a brony or not because of that...
The client wanted badassed pixy vs rainbow dash image, so that's what I gave him.

As for the pixy, that was something I wanted to do for a while.

Also some development history for ACZ, ACZ is pretty much a miracle product in my book.
If you guys think about it, ACZ was developed at the same time WITH ACX and AC6, and the development time was 10 MONTHS in total, that's pretty loving impressive for an end product like this. Very efficient of them.

Skwerl fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 22, 2015

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
More acz trivia
Here's the outfit/custom used for Pixy's filming

AFAIK, pixy's actor, Sean Ryan, does fashion modelling. In fact I think the entire pilot interview cast came from the same agency.
As for the outfit, one of the PA staff was insistent about getting it weathered properly so it looks right. He took the outfit to the park near the office and beat it up there by scraping it with knife+smearing dirt over it.

ALSO
The original plan for ACZ, was actually going to be a story of a mercenary pilot who flew through Erusean War and Osean/Yuktobanian War...
so yea, there you have it.

Skwerl fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 22, 2015

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

Kibayasu posted:

Yeah but, well, am I the only one who thinks the live cutscenes actually work better than the still-frames of AC4 or the animated ones of AC5?

That might just be me in "Ace Combat 4 through Zero can do no wrong" mode though.

I think AC5's animated cg is by far the worst... stuff like that /never/ ages well. :gonk:

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

Makrond posted:

Have I just totally missed it or did you not include the interviews after B7R? You have the pictures of the aces in the post but there's nothing in the main video, and I can't find any other video links.

those happens after mission 12 I think. They did two ace encounters in a batch, which doesnt make much sense to me.
When I first played the game I thought they got cut out in localization.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

ninjahedgehog posted:

Good news, my Christmas gift to myself finally arrived!

(pic)
Now ask me if I know the first thing about modeling :shepicide:
Sup AC kit buddy.....this guy arrived too and I dont know poo poo about miniature building either...
I started with the Galm 1 F-15 and already got a drip of cement on the exterior :smithicide:

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

The Casualty posted:

You can get the cement off with acetone and a cotton swab, don't trip.

Nice Yellow 13, I've always liked the Su-37's mean look. The canards and large exposed engine nacelles really look awesome.

They've always been rather OP in Ace Combat games, I fear its for that exact reason. They're going off LockMart's data sheet and advertisements instead of real world performance. Then again, their F-22's don't kill you randomly with oxygen failures either.

Oh, the glue actually ate off bits of pre-applied paint job they had, it's not super serious so I THINK I can wing it at the weathering stage, fingers crossed.

Also ninjahedgehog, there was indeed a pre-painted mobius 1 that was released about 2 years ago

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
Sorry if you guys have issues with me derailing this thread into ACZ: The Modeling Thread

Ninjahedgehog, I was playing with my Cipher kit earlier and what I found is that these pre-painted kits are very good for weathering/further detailing.
I tried some tamiya weathering kit along with water color pencil, sakura pigma micron pen, and then did some washes with 70% ethanol on q-tips. I got some pretty good result so far.

The dirty Utsio mercenary dog...

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, that does look pretty good, but this is literally the first kit I've ever made since a couple of SnapTites when I was a 10 years old and no loving way am I risking it. I'm buying a cheapass kit this weekend to practice my gluing on.

What sort of missile loadout are you planning on? I'm thinking two Sidewinders and two QAAMS under the wings and then the four AMRAAMs underneath the fuselage, but I haven't decided on the external fuel tanks yet. Each Eagle comes with four Sparrows too, but for some reason they're unpainted.

My amraam is unpainted too. As for weathering its really hard to go overboard since those material I listed wash off very easily. FYI this is my first serious attempt on a kit too.

I am planning to go with spare fuel tanks because they will look very nice after weathering/repainting. Honestly, I think most of the challenge comes from getting the appropriate references.

Edit: Done with the jet for now, going to start with the diorama when I have money again.

Skwerl fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 13, 2015

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
Working on ACZ 10th anniversary painting, will have more to show you guys in the next March.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
Actually, I think a while ago I thought I saw someone literally downed acz's final boss fight with UGB.

The same was also doable in Assault Horizon as well...

Edit: I found the ACZ ugb clearing on youtube. SPOILER WARNING!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9hCUb9-zwo

Skwerl fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 14, 2016

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
Yayyyy and we are done with Zero! Here's my tribute to our favorite cannon fodder of the game the Ustio Air Force pilot.

Out of all the pilots in the history of aerial warfare, they probably had the shortest life expectancy due to flying in dangerous situations such as: raiding oversized laser installation, serving as decoys in Death Star styled trench run and surviving 7 simultaneous nuclear blasts...
:smith:

Skwerl fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 18, 2016

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
Happy 10th birthday Ace Combat Zero :unsmith:

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

The Casualty posted:

Is that the Avalon Dam, with a full reservoir?

yeap, check the date too :p This is as far as I can get without trampling all over the lore...

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

IronSaber posted:

Did you paint this all yourself? If so, color me impressed. :wth:

it'd.....did take me a full month :smithicide:

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

Psion posted:

Skwerl didn't you do Death Rider for AC:AH? Or was that someone else? I thought it was you.

That, would be me too :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

ninjahedgehog posted:

Listen here you dumb poo poo Cipher and Pixy never went to Avalon together in the same plane, and furthermore the GPS coordinates are off by twenty minutes north and the F-15C carries AMRAAMs or Sparrows underneath its fuselage, not Sidewinders and where are the shock diamonds on the afterburners and you probably just took the kanji for a California Roll why would you even make it AC themed if you can't respect the canon

Kidding, this completely owns and is my new desktop.

:colbert:

And yes, I caught the amraam mistake faaaaar too late in the project to fix it, should have consulted with a jet nerd earlier in v:unsmith:v

Edit: Thanks so much for the props goons, means a lot that there are actually people who like these since I do draw for a super niche subject. :V

Skwerl fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 23, 2016

• Locked thread