Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Aw yeah. :neckbeard:

I simply adore the music for this series as its amazingly solid through and through. Yes, I even like the ACAH soundtrack quite a bit. :colbert:

However, you seem to have posted the wrong image for the Mitsubishi F-1. That's a Japanese F-4EJ.

Dr. Snark posted:

On the plus side, it does have one of the best (if not the best) soundtracks in the series, so there is that!

I think AC5 has it beat as a whole but Zero does have some amazing tracks as we'll hear. Heck, one of my favourite ones, Glacial Skies, is featured in this mission.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You actually used the :sweden: Draken :sweden: in the first mission too. :neckbeard:
Fun Draken fact :eng101:, the plane was withdrawn from active service as late as 2005. In this case it was the Austrian airforce which retired theirs with F-5 Tiger II's until they got Eurofighter Typhoons.

I may or may not try to sprinkle in some extra fun facts about Swedish fighter aircraft present in this game as I'm pretty sure the Drakens successor, the Saab 37 Viggen or Thunderbolt is also present in one of these games alongside the JAS-39 Gripen.

Cythereal posted:

Oh dear. All I know about this series is that it inspired the HAWX games and has some very silly superweapons as bosses.

As I mentioned back when I LPed that series the HAWX games ripped a ton of stuff from the Ace Combat series. I mostly noticed stuff I recognized from AC5 but I'm sure several other parallels can be found as this progresses.

nine-gear crow posted:

Just don't give me poo poo about my flying style :argh:

Eh, I wouldn't worry too much. No one really game me much gruff for my flying in HAWX.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I'm delighted to see this series getting an LP; I look forward to seeing it get to 4 and 5 where I might actually have something interesting to say because I've actually played those games. :D

Aside from this mission in AC0 I've only played AC5 to completion and most of ACAH.

Something that should once again be commented on is the music because a lot of the tracks have some great Spanish influences to them with castanets as heard in Glacial Skies.

Also, a couple of years ago I worked on an F-15C plastic kit that I had lying around and I couldn't resist making a slight altercation to it when I painted it:

It was a cold and snowy day...

Also, here's two photos I took from a Flight day last year at a nearby airforce base.

That, and the rest of the stuff I saw, was worth the sunburn.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 17, 2015

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

Speaking of the HAWX LP's , I still miss those vids. Someone really should re-upload them at some point. Anyways, looking forward to the rest of the LP! Even though PCSX2 is not a real PS2,I'll try to play along to the best of my abilities.

You know I'd love to but the problem is that back when I did them I used the fact that blip didn't really care too much about the music copyrights like YT does and that makes it hard to upload them anywhere without pretty much all of them being muted. I have all the footage still but there's no real place for me to upload them.
Had I the will for it I'd probably want to redo them all for YT and this time remember to turn on subtitles for HAWX2 from the start.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

radintorov posted:

You could always upload them as unlisted and have them linked through the LPArchive? Maybe that might be enough to make it harder for Youtube to mute/take them down. :shobon:

I guess I could try that and see what happens but I'm pretty sure that whole process is automated as the video is uploaded. Been meaning to upload all of my videos to YT anyway at some point including the Halo and Splinter Cell ones.

DFlux posted:

On that note I am UTTERLY surprised there was never a Halo 3 LP of any kind on these forums.

What can I say, no PC version. v:v:v

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 17, 2015

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

As I sorta promised all those years ago, if Halo 3 does come out on PC I'll do an LP of it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

(AC4's Rex Tremendae, AC5's many tracks such as Shorebirds, or AC6's Liberation of Gracemeria)

No mention of The Unsung War from AC5? :raise: Also I'm assuming you meant Megalith -Agnus Dei- there instead of just Rex Tremendae.

Weissritter posted:

I think out of the 3 listed there, AC5 has my favorite OST for the amount of great songs in it, though the track Zero itself from AC0 is hard to beat.

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel as well when it comes to listing AC soundtracks. With 4 on third because of previously aforementioned track and the Blockade track.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Psion posted:

TFR Cold War Airpower thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373768

learn more than you ever wanted to know about blimps! About broadcasting on 121.50! And why Canadians are still upset about BOMARC!

You should of course have a weekend or even a week off to be able to go through that thread by now.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So I took the previously mentioned advice and uploaded the HAWX videos to Youtube. Out of 38 videos only two got completely muted and one got slapped with a restriction making it unwatchable outside the US and Japan.
To any German viewers, I'm sorry.

Let's Play H.A.W.X.
Let's Play H.A.W.X. 2

Also uploaded the Halo LPs and my Chaos Theory one as well for those interested.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 24, 2015

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

To me the fundamental problem with HAWX is that it in no way 'gets' that Ace Combat is Mecha But With Jets. It doesn't embrace the melodrama and specific, earnest kind of dumbness that makes Ace Combat feel so endearing and positive.

I mean it's obvious that they have looked at Ace Combat quite intently during the development of both games. Look at the Rio de Janeiro mission for instance, it has enemy ace squadrons and the AC style overheard radio communications. Only for this to never ever appear again at any point. So yeah, they're obviously inspired by it but they fail to get it.
If you combined a lot of the stuff from both HAWX games and threw out the overly gimmick parts like the jamming in one and the atrocious drone parts from 2 you could have a decent AC-like game. I mean the end fight for HAWX 2 would fit in Ace Combat really well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

AND MAKE IT NORTH KOREAN!

E: Fun challenge: Try to think of a game that wouldn't be improved by a secret Russian particle laser. It's hard.

Pretty sure North Korea has only been the real enemy once and that was in Ghost Recon 2. I mean they weren't even the real baddies in Chaos Theory, just unwitting pawns.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Casualty posted:

In the first GRAW (and the first mission of HAWX, for that matter) aren't you fighting Mexico?

First GRAW had evil Mexicans. Second GRAW had evil Mexicans that then got replaced by an evil PMC.
Ubisoft's Clancy writers had a huge hard-on for evil PMCs for a while there between 2005 and 2010

IMJack posted:

Too much Call of Duty influence, then. That's the feeling I got particularly from the drone parts.

Well yeah, I joked and commented about that fact constantly while doing HAWX2. The references are obvious even if you willingly ignore the AC-130 level.
Something which ACAH honestly did a lot better. I'd be amazed if you could even fail the one in HAWX2 at any point.
Only difference is that it took Modern Warfare two more games to get back at Russia while HAWX2 did it in one.

SIGSEGV posted:

The Crenshaw Counter was the best character.

I attribute the fact that they even mentioned Shade once throughout the entire LP to luck.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

:sigh: Oh well. At least most of them are available. Maybe you could re-upload the blocked ones on Dailymotion or Vimeo or something?

The perils of running a custom soundtrack with popular tracks. v:(v If I had to redo it all over again I'd probably go for something different, like what Tin Tim is doing with his stuff, when it comes to music to skirt around the copyright protection.
Dunno about using alt hosts thought, not sure if Vimeo has changed their stance on LPs these days or not.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Unfortunate, Maelstrom from 2 is blocked in the US. Shame, as I recall it being one of (the only?) fun mission to watch in 2.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. drat.
And yeah, it is one of the more fun missions in the game. Even if the subsequent British mission is pretty okay too.

Edit: Today I discovered that apparently both HAWX games have been removed from Steam. But the HAWX 2 DLC is still available. And it apparently lacks English language support. :raise:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 25, 2015

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Is VT as dead and empty as all of its screenshots indicate?

Nah, instead it's the development that is dead. :cheeky:

While I've been interesting in getting VT the reviews about the lack of progress and multiples issues have turned me off.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Calax posted:

Don't forget Puddle of Mud for Ace Combat 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWRdMX1VaZA

I think I know this trailer by heart when it comes to line. Always been a favourite of mine and I just watched it over and over again before I got a chance to actually play the game.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

http://www.vg247.com/2015/11/30/ace-combat-7-announce-spoiled-by-infinity-update-rumour/

:aaaaa:
Gods I hope this is true. :pray:

Psion posted:

Gotta Stay Fly is a far superior song to fly to, I agree

I dunno, I could do some combat flying to Blurry just because how ingrained the association I have with that track and Ace Combat.
Even if your point is pretty good too.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VKing posted:

Also don't forget the Saab 37 Viggen (confusingly existing in both JA-37 and AJ-37 designations) that was the canonical (so to speak) successor to the J-35.

The truth lies in the name.
AJ-37 in this case is Attack/Jakt-37 or Attacker/Fighter-37. So a ground attack aircraft with a secondary fighter role.
JA-37 in this case is Jakt/Attack-37 or Fighter/Attacker-37. The inverse to the AJ-37 with the aircraft being primary interceptor/fighter aircraft and attacker being secondary.
The F/A-18 Hornet does something similar in this case.

I was going to point out the same, the Viggen (Thunderbolt) is closer to being the replacement for the Draken. The Gripen is the replacement for the Viggen because it combines Viggen's multirole idea into a single aircraft. Which is also why it's called JAS-39 as JAS stands for Jakt (Fighter) Attack (Attacker) Spaning (Recon).

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I was debating earlier if I was going to write something about Swedish aircraft and such or just quote what Fluff has posted in the Cold War thread on TFR to save me the hassle. :cheeky:

Fun fact I forgot to mention in full way earlier, both HAWX games are no longer available anywhere digitally. Even from Uplay/Ubisoft. Clearly they wanted to wash away the shame of it. :tinfoil:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lunethex posted:

Ace Combat 7 announced for PS4. There's a video but it was taken down.

Features "VR Support" too, apparently.

I haven't turned my PS4 on in like 8 months but if it's in Strangereal I might have a reason.

https://twitter.com/PROJECT_ACES/status/673227200288579584
Does seem like it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

One of my favourite tracks from AC0 has already been featured and I'm hoping the next one will make an appearance sooner or later.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Samuel posted:

I wish this LP had a sweet intro like the HAWX LP, that JAG music was so soothing.

I've had those uploaded on my YT account for way longer than the actual LPs. They're not as great as another music related video I've done but still some of my favourites things I've made.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JcDent posted:

Auto, could you notify Baldurk? He could update the Archive with the correct links.

gently caress, I'd do it myself if he found a way. I was so sad that the HAWX links were down in archives.

If anything I should do it with the Halo and SCCT LPs. But the problem with HAWX is that a bunch of the videos are blocked and a bunch are outright muted as well so I'm not sure if it's really worth it. Although to be fair I did expect this to happen and I'm more surprised that many videos slipped through without getting muted or seriously blocked.

Still kind of miffed that one of the GITS:SAC tracks was one of the blocked ones. I thought it fitted so well with Maelstrom. :(

If I had a DVD drive to reinstall both games I'd try my best to maybe redo the LP completely but I don't and the games are neigh impossible to find legally digitally.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

Good news, my Christmas gift to myself finally arrived!

Now ask me if I know the first thing about modeling :shepicide:

It's okay bro, Goons have you covered if you need to know anything about that.

I almost need to get a second F-15 kit to make GALM 1 since I've already done one into GALM 2. Once I clear out my model kit backlog. Sometime in 2030. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JcDent posted:

Will probably crop up on Bundle Store sports game sale or something, that site is random as all hell.

Can't even remember if it was included in the Tom Clancy Humble Bundle that ran a while ago or not.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Casualty posted:

Yeah, looks about right. Now if only scale models leaked fuel, oil and hydraulic fluid into to-scale drip pans...

I'm pretty sure you can buy those and then make the rest somehow. Wouldn't surprise me if there are guides for it somewhere at least at some scale modeller community.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

Doing all that at 1/144 sounds insane though. At that scale, a 6-foot tall man is about the size of Lincoln's head on a penny.

You say that and then I shall just quote some posts from the Scale modelling thread on DIY:

The Locator posted:

Looking good Greyhawk, before you know it you'll have something resembling a locomotive!

More Modelzona pictures.

This was the winner of "Peoples Choice", and first place in miscellaneous dioramas, but it was very difficult to photograph, as it was an internally lit shadowbox display. It is a 1/72 scale U-boat model that is chopped off just aft of the conning tower, and displayed being serviced in an underground U-boat pen. The detail was amazing, down to a tiny randomly flashing LED at the tip of a welders torch.

The Ships that I was competing with in the Surface Ship category.

The amazing 1/700 scale carrier with crewmen. This took 2nd place.

Third place went to this 1/700 Admiral Hipper class cruiser.

Plastic Revell model Nina with rigging and blocks from a wooden ship model company.

This small (1/700 I think) Warspite was this guys first model he said. Great start!

Missouri, 1/350 scale Tamiya - "Out of the Box" qualified (no PE or aftermarket parts or bashing).

These next 4 ships are all made by the same guy that made the castle up above. He is a professional model-maker who has his own business and makes his living making models.

The Locator posted:

Modelzona 2015 was Saturday the 7th (where I got the cool plaque for my ship). I have pictures!

I'll try to pick the best of the best and post them spread out, rather than dumping all of them at once (I took quite a few).

I took almost no pictures of cars, airplanes and tanks this year, I was just busy and didn't get around to it, so I only have a few that might have really caught my eye as I was walking past.

Dioramas.

"The Hour of the Gun" - Tombstone.

King Nine Will Not Return - The Twilight Zone

An airplane (in a diorama)!

Looks cold.

Seems like a strange place to fight.

Where did I drop that stupid bolt, dammit.

This one won "Best Diorama" I believe.

Scratch built castle? At least I don't think they make models of this.

Ambush! Poor dude on the left just got plugged in the heart.

Just chillin' with my aeroplane.

First place in AFV Dioramas.

Well crap.

Crowded bridge.

First place in Dioramas - Figures and Vignettes.

More to come.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

YeOldeButchere posted:

Alright, new idea: Ace Combat/Ace Attorney crossover where you prosecute Belkan war criminals after Strangereal Weird War II.

Well I'm sold.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I say that the AC-130 segment in ACAH was better than the one in HAWX2. :colbert:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The one in CoD4 is pretty good though because of its atmosphere.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Psion posted:

the Bone mission was awesome, and the second helicopter mission was like 2000000000x better than the first. You just tear through it like some sort of helicopter-borne Explosive Death Lord.

I mean sure the Bone mission had a couple problems with goofy pathfinding but you could hit full burners, drop to like fifty feet off the deck, and just use rudders the whole time. Good times. And it all paid off in the back half of the mission. More explosions per minute than Ace Combat has ever had or probably ever will have.

I remember having some issues with the Bone mission because I always overcompensate whenever I twitch slightly with a flightstick. Don't think I failed the low level flight part but it was close at least a couple of times.

To be honest I liked both helicopter missions. :shobon: Even if the Moscow one was a lot better.

Psion posted:

Yeah, they did a great job with atmosphere and since it was the first of its type, it didn't make everyone eyeroll at Yet Another AC-130 level like most of the me-too follow-ons in future CoD games and/or future not-CoD games.

I assume there was at least one in MW3 or such because the only ones I encountered after CoD4 were HAWX2 and ACAH. But then HAWX2 didn't really disguise the fact that it cribbed heavily from CoD4 and such. I mean yes ACAH did it too but it wasn't as blunt about it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The more you read into the F-35 project the more you start to realise that the Marines is the cause of a lot of those issues.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I still want to believe that if it wasn't for Marines still dreaming of Henderson field and demanding VTOL I'm sure the 35 would be a competent plane.
But that would at the same time require LockMart not to be corrupt assholes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

As someone in the Cold War TFR thread said during the discussion JcDent mentioned the US Marine corps involvement is a really potent weapon because their demands for the F-35 has hosed things up for multiple countries in a side-effect.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

Isn't the Royal Navy also partially to blame? Theoretically, the DOD could tell the Navy's Army's Air Force to gently caress off back to the kid's table but the Brits do actually need a STOVL (short take-off, vertical landing) fighter because their carriers don't have catapults.

Nah, that's because the Brits hosed up majorly with their new carriers with such amazing decisions such as mothballing their entire Harrier fleet and building two different types of carriers because I'm pretty sure the second one is supposed to come equipped with an EMALS catapult because they can't provide enough power for a steam one.
I'm sure someone can drag up a good post from the Cold War thread about it because it's a really embarrassing tale of stupid military procurement. Not having forums search makes going through that thread a bit tricky at times when you're looking for something specific.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 22, 2015

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

LostCosmonaut posted:

Given that Northrop Grumman got the LRS-B contract, I'm hoping the following happens:

1. LRS-B revealed as bomber derivative of YF-23
2. Air Force realizes we need more fighters that aren't F-35s
3. YF-23 returns

That is if LockMart don't continuously keep the project on lockdown by issuing complaints like they almost after the announcement that Grumman won.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

The US bullying other nations defense ministries into it rather than the (vastly superior) Typhoon.

If the UK asks you if you want to buy some Tranche 1 Typhoons, just say no.
Why do you ask? Apparently they were built so early on that they can't really be upgraded which limits their life time quite well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JcDent posted:

I just learned of ACTIVE by watching HAWX LP, on the terribly thrilling mission where you slaughter the Pakistani airforce that doesn't fight back to aid a bomber carpet bomb the most obvious terrorist base.

Not to mention you fly that airplane in the OFF Cert mission for that part.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You sure about the bunkers requiring three missiles to kill and they just don't have a weakspot at the front as your bunker knockout at that point seemed very inconsistent with one of them requiring two and one requiring at least four.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

That's actually been happening on and off for me too, and I don't know what's behind it because it didn't used to do that. And I haven't changed anything about the way I've created them or uploaded them since I first started doing it. So I'm either gonna blame Imgur (which has been spotty for the last week or so), or Firefox (my browser of choice, which also just went through another dumbfuck setting-wipe version upgrade), or the forums themselves (which also has been updated lately and blah blah Radium wakka wakka Ralp yada yada give Lowtax more money to buy his daughter her third yacht).

Good to know it's not just me that happens to. Go figure on what's causing it though as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Hey Cooked Auto, do you have any way for me to contact you? Shoot me a PM if you can.

I don't have plat sorry. Just email me at cookedauto on gmail.

• Locked thread