Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Zero is probably one of my favorite games, though I'm not actually good at it. I think it's mostly due to the music, there are still a few tracks I adore even after listening to them in the car fifty times or so.

I can't comment on much right now, but I'd like to point out that the chain of lakes in the east of Osea are the same shape as North America's Great Lakes. Other geographical features from our Earth are also used in Strangereal, and we'll be seeing some up close and personal as the series progresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Should be the Avro Arrow :colbert:

I have wanted a 50's-60's era Ace Combat for basically ever since I finished 5.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

I long for the day someone tries to build a flying laser fortress. Considering the Surcouf existed, someone will be crazy enough to try to build almost anything.

I just made your loving day.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

I really want a Vietnam/Korea era jets Ace Combat with all kinds of crazy, melodramatic gun duels.

Everyone does, buddy.

I wonder, if they did, would they model the Sparrow as being the dog of a missile that it was, or would they make it work?

Also, are we getting into the weapons models at all? I thought I remembered standard missiles on US planes being modeled as Sidewinder, vs whatever it is Euro and Warsaw Pact planes use

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Alright, I finally got a chance to watch the video for mission 3,and you missed - or may not have known - that at least some of the ace squadrons get special abilities that grunt pilots don't.

I don't remember the details for each squadron, but I think Rot (and possibly Schwarze) get access to XMAAs or XLAAs they can huck at you from far off, and definitely one of either Grun or Indigo can dump flares to shake your standard missiles. I think Grun.The first time I fought them, I was like, they can do that?? Obviously you didn't have that problem this time through since you iced them so quickly.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I found a couple reviews for those kits, they're prepainted and mostly pre-decaled, with a few extra water-slide decals to add. But they're not snap-kits, so you'll have to glue them together. Also they're really tiny! 1/144 is not a usual scale for airplane kits, I think... But it is normal for a lot of Gundam kits, so if you ever want to, you can have Galm Team dogfighting the Zeta Gundam.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Psion posted:

Crow if you had a choice between a sourdough, potato, french, onion, poppyseed, or some other kind of roll which would you take

Stay away from the Dutch rolls for this LP

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Casualty posted:

It might be a bit of a stretch to go all the way back to Sabers since that's 1950's tech in a 1990's world, but it would have been nice to see some late Century Series jets. I think an F-106 would fit right in, as would an F-104 (maximum hilarity if it's an Attacker). I've always thought an F-8 would make a fine addition to the game, as well as the A-4 and the EE Lightning. Ultimately they went with the selection they did because a lot of the assets could be recycled.

edit: I've said it before and I'll say it again, AC should have a "Legends" style game with some old school Korea-Vietnam era selections. You could even break it into mini-campaigns that cover smaller wars with more coherent aircraft selections, since the performance envelopes would be seeing some rather extreme progression through those decades.
Basically 2/3rds of a really arcadey Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. Yeah I want that.

What the hell was the justification for turning the F-104 into a fighter bomber, anyway?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

Well I'm sold.

We can bust out the JAG theme again!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have some conflicted feelings about Diapason. The bulk of the mission is fun; a mix of A-A and A-G, and you're low enough you can hear those bells start to ring as you singlehandedly liberate the city. This mission is one of the first in the game to really push the "you're making a difference" angle. And then Gelb shows up, and they're just... not what they could be.

The Su-37 is a monster in Ace Combat. It really is an endgame plane, it's deserving of its nickname. It's got more missiles than God, locks up targets quicker than blinking, can fly directly up its own tailpipe, and its SP loadout is quite useful. And yet Gelb always seems to go down so easy. What's really annoying to me is that they're another special ability squadron: they can fire missiles backwards as well as forwards, to gently caress with you if you're on their six, so they ought to be a fun challenge. But again, they pretty much seem to go down boom, boom. What the heck, guys.

In a first playthrough, you're not going to be able to afford the Terminator for a while. But as soon as you can, it has the potential to trivialize the rest of the playthrough. Especially since first games are locked to easy or normal, IIRC.

I do really like both the music tracks for this mission. You've got an upbeat, triumphant version of the title track, and Gelb promises you tension and a fast-paced fight.

Finally, the part of Directus itself in the game is portrayed by Bern, Switzerland.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just as a question about the Mig-31; One thing I've always heard about the MiG-25 is that HAHAHA when Viktor Belenko defected with it, we found out that its crazy powerful radar was built with HAHAHA vacuum tubes, which was hilarious until we realized that HAHAHA it would still work after the EMP generated by a nuclear strike, so HAHAHA turned into "Those Sneaky loving Russians!". Is there any truth to this, and if so, is the MiG-31's radar as nukeproof?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, I've had Assault Horizon on my old-rear end PC for a couple years, but yesterday I finally tried playing it. The chase mode thing is annoying, but what's more annoying is that the game seems to be using a buttload of CPU. Like, high 90s to 100% when there's a lot of action on screen, and the game starts chugging badly. Is it known to do that, or is there something I can tweak without buying a new motherboard and processor?

e: The chase mode, though, sheesh. I came here to play Ace Combat; if I want Afterburner I've got that on my 360.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Psion posted:

What are your system specs? I have AH on PC (and 360, shut up) and it's fine on both for me. I think I've mentioned this before but DFM is only good in multiplayer so, sorry, get used to it :(

Processor: Core 2 Duo E8400, 3GHz
Motherboard: MSI MS-7345
RAM: 8 gigs of DDR2
Graphics: Radeon HD 4850, 512 MB

This is where you tell me "I'm surprised you can see the internet"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nine-gear, I think you copied a bullet from the YF-23 into the F-15S/MTD. I really doubt it's stealthier than the YF-22.

e: Dangit!

• Locked thread