Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cythereal posted:

Well that was some overwrought dialogue. Just how preachy is this game going to be?

Ace Combat is basically a mecha anime but with jets.

It is also FANTASTIC fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ace Combat is in no way a flight sim. It's an action hero flight sim.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

anilEhilated posted:

Not necessarily a bad thing; arcade-type flighty games are few and far between and WE NEED ANOTHER CRIMSON SKIES ALREADY.
Sorry.

Oh no, I love Ace Combat. Just saying it's not something where energy retention, planned maneuvers, etc are going to be a thing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Considering this is basically Area 88: The Video Game But More Mechaesque And With Less Mercenary Exploitation I would really like an F8 Crusader some time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Area 88 The Videogame (not the shootemup) is something I really want since seeing Area 88.

Right down to the mercenary serfdom and the evil company store.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cythereal posted:

Isn't this also the series that regularly has you flying planes through underground facilities in total defiance of sanity?

It also features submersible aircraft carries, flying aircraft carriers, and laser sky fortresses.

AC is wonderful.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cythereal posted:

To be fair, these have existed in real life. :v: They didn't work well and are a historical footnote, but they existed. Probably not on the scale this series will take them to, admittedly...

I long for the day someone tries to build a flying laser fortress. Considering the Surcouf existed, someone will be crazy enough to try to build almost anything.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cythereal posted:

There's also the Akron and Macon, though those were dirigibles that carried biplanes - if you're familiar with Crimson Skies, those are the airships that setting took inspiration from. And there actually was a US plane with a nuclear reactor on board, though it wasn't powered by it - a B-36 Peacemaker.

Weren't those cancelled after a freak storm killed the crew of one of them, including the admiral who had both managed to save US Naval Aviation and advocated for 'everything needs planes. Planes are awesome'?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I thought Shin used an F8 Crusader, originally.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Psion posted:

He did and the continuing lack of an F-8 in any Ace Combat game is a crime. :colbert:

I really want a Vietnam/Korea era jets Ace Combat with all kinds of crazy, melodramatic gun duels.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They made a second HAWX.

WHY. FOR WHOM.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

To me the fundamental problem with HAWX is that it in no way 'gets' that Ace Combat is Mecha But With Jets. It doesn't embrace the melodrama and specific, earnest kind of dumbness that makes Ace Combat feel so endearing and positive.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Agean90 posted:

I want to assume its a consequence of the tom clancy label and annoying higher ups. NO GUYS IT ISNT TACTICAL ENOUGH, TONE DOWN THE BANTER AND GET RID OF THE SECRET RUSSIAN PARTICLE LASER

AND MAKE IT NORTH KOREAN!

E: Fun challenge: Try to think of a game that wouldn't be improved by a secret Russian particle laser. It's hard.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A gun on a plane is like a knife on a rifleman. Sure, you'll probably never use it on an equivalent foe, but it's lightweight, takes up almost no space, doesn't cost that much, and it's got a ton of other uses.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wild Weasel is the manliest thing in all of air combat doctrine.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kal-L posted:

And no, ramming is not an option, although it would be :orks101: as hell.

There was a navy pilot in WWII who got a medal for sawing a Zero in half with the prop on his Corsair when his guns jammed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Wasn't that he flew close enough to the tail of the zero that he sliced away at his elevator/rudder, causing it to lose control and crash?

Wikipedia entry (I assume this is the one you're talking about)

I may have exaggerated a little to make it sound even more awesome than it actually was, yes. :black101:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'm totally okay with this thread becoming a PYF :black101: aerial warfare story thread in between updates. Have one of mine, the first and only air-to-air kill by the F-15E Strike Eagle and the only recorded air-to-air kill EVER with a motherfucking bomb :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-15E_Strike_Eagle#Operations_Desert_Shield_and_Desert_Storm

Your avatar quote is incredibly appropriate for this story.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If you don't like the dumb, earnest waxing about war and humanity Ace Combat is going to be a bad time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kadorhal posted:

But yeah, classic jets seems to be a recurring missed opportunity Aces seems to have no interest in rectifying. Like, we get two or four WWII prop fighters in some of the later games, then it skips entirely over everything between that and mid- to late-Vietnam.

What. Are you saying there's an Ace Combat that lets you slam a P47 into a satellite?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

YOTC posted:

Overall I've always thought this is one of the less fun and interesting giant super weapon boss fights in an ace combat game. Still fun though.

I know taking 4-5 passes to kill something after it's already been crippled and rendered harmless is exciting for me!

I don't know why, but I've never been able to get into AC0. I loved 4 and 5, but 0 just never grabbed me. I think this was the mission I stopped on, as I'd rented rather than bought it and just didn't feel like continuing after that really boring fight.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

YeOldeButchere posted:

There's gonna be a lot of unemployed optics engineers/applied physicists in Belka.

Good news! They all died in the collapse!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mind you, Zero is the loving best final boss theme in the entire series, and this is a series that has the Unsung War in it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Most of the imitators don't get that AC is Mecha Anime But With Planes and so needs the silly melodrama to live.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, while I'm finding AC3 more interesting than AC0, I've got to say our protagonists there are pretty legendarily thick in that special anime way. :downs: Nothing suspicious about being told to fly Neucomm experimental bombers without UPEO markings, nothing suspicious at all! Do you think maybe that Park guy might be up to something, when he told our weird afflicted girl to murder our wingman and the moderate diplomat? I just don't know what's going on! :downs:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

YeOldeButchere posted:

Once again, the Hersl- Hrves- XB-0 proves that maybe if Belka hadn't spent so much on superweapons, then maybe their economy would have done a bit better. I mean, you'd expect something that size to be nuclear powered, but no, it has air refueling capabilities, so it probably has a fuel consumption on par with the entirety of Dinsmark. It also begs the question of how exactly air refueling works with that thing since tanker aircrafts probably hold like 15 minutes worth of fuel for it. Knowing the Belkans, they probably built a special giant tanker plane.

Well, I'm sure they'll fix this issue in the next version. After all this was just the rushed, baby-size, budget prototype version.

Also, while watching the video I realized that I've never tried dropping UGBs on the XB-0. It's large enough that it seems like it should work, but I don't know how effective it would be.

Well, I mean, Belka are basically budget Nazis trying out their Nazi tricks again in a time with jets and laser cannons, so it should be no surprise they wasted huge amounts on grift superweapons.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The actual song Zero is, in fact, the best music in the entire series and possibly in any vidjagame ever. This is completely correct. It's awesome.

Like, I don't actually like AC0 (I could never get into it, the melodrama just didn't grab me like 4 and 5) but that song is hype personified.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think part of the reason I don't like 0 is I loving hate Pixy. He's just a nonsensical shithead. There's no real drama to his character. First he's the awesome mccool guy (they assure you) and then he turns into the crazy mass-murdering edgelord. There's just no real spark of conflict there.

He is the most Bad Anime of all AC foes. "Man, I'm so upset about that nuclear incident! I better cause a much worse, better targeted one! That'll fix things!"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Say, Aces Cure Planes, is the reason you're using the F-5 so much because your Cipher is a Japanese airline pilot trapped in indentured mercenary service?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lunethex posted:

You think that's something wait until the final UPEO update goes up in the next while.

Look man we know why UPEO does what it does.

UPEO is incredibly dumb.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

You know it just kind of dawned on me, that the world without borders that Pixy and the others dreamed of is pretty much what happens in AC 3 and yet things are arguably even shittier where only two mega-corporations have power instead of countries.

Well, yeah. What kind of idiot would think dissolving borders would actually end conflict?

Oh, right, animes like Pixy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The worst thing is everything about 0 reminds me of Front Mission Evolved and that makes me even more unreasonably angry.

Though at least there was no Robo-Necromancy and the actual gameplay is really good.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

nine-gear crow posted:

/
"And DAT'S how I von election."

Prime Minister Nikanor is the hero we need and deserve.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I could definitely see Cipher as Dision.

He's enough of a douche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Skwerl posted:

Happy 10th birthday Ace Combat Zero :unsmith:

Your planearts are uniformly fantastic.

• Locked thread