Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

nine-gear crow posted:

Also, quick thread question: A lot of you have expressed the opinion that commentary, no matter how well done, detracts from the overall experience of an Ace Combat LP, so would anyone be interested in me posting "silent" versions of each mission with the hanger/replay stuff cut out alongside the commentary versions?

Even in the commentated versions, there are so many moments where the music can do all of the talking. I love this series, and am looking forward to when this eventually reaches the unbelievably hammy AC6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The issue with Ace Combat games is that they're all the exact same action movie and you're always the same action hero. Fortunately, they make up for that with the music. Zero is probably the best in that regard, because super high speed jet dogfighting mariachis, but all of the others have really great songs (AC4's Rex Tremendae, AC5's many tracks such as Shorebirds, or AC6's Liberation of Gracemeria) but in my opinion nothing really matches Zero's main track: Zero. Only the remix of Blue Skies from AC4 that was used in Infinity comes close to matching it.

If you have a PS2 and haven't played AC4, AC5 and AC Zero, order them now and play through them. They're only about 8 hours each, but there's nothing else really like the Ace Combat series, one of the few game series that is only really successful due to its presentation rather than strong gameplay.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

No mention of The Unsung War from AC5? :raise: Also I'm assuming you meant Megalith -Agnus Dei- there instead of just Rex Tremendae.

Nah, I mean Rex Tremendae. That specific part just gets me every time. And I'm not actually a big fan of The Unsung War, it's a bit overdone. To me its the best example of what an Ace Combat song should sound like, but without the real charm of the others, if you know what I'm saying. Unlike the strength of character Zero has, the awe inspiring Rex Tremendae+Agnus Dei and the haunting Chandelier from AC6, The Unsung War just sits there being rather generic by Ace Combat standards.

Yeah, I bet the music chat is going to keep going until the end of this thread.

nine-gear crow posted:

I love this game, I really do :allears:

Zero is my favourite of the Ace Combat games, but it took three playthroughs and this thread for me to realise Pixy was known as Solo-Wing Pixy not because he was a loner without a wingman but because he landed without a wing. It's the little things. :downs:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Skwerl posted:

Also some development history for ACZ, ACZ is pretty much a miracle product in my book.
If you guys think about it, ACZ was developed at the same time WITH ACX and AC6, and the development time was 10 MONTHS in total, that's pretty loving impressive for an end product like this. Very efficient of them.

10 months for the best game in the series. Just let that sink in everybody. 10 months. :stonklol:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

Is VT as dead and empty as all of its screenshots indicate?

Not only is VT dead, it's also terrible. It's pretty, but it has terrible music and gameplay. The flight models are floaty and slow, the explosions come out from at least 50 metres behind the target, voice acting is just the worst and don't even get me started on the camera. That and its a game that doesn't allow for changing resolution without restarting. In 2015.

• Locked thread