Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

quote:

For that matter, they’re also better written than they’re given credit for, setting aside Lucas’ sometimes hilarious fumbling with the English language. The actual story told across the three movies, wherein the fall of Anakin Skywalker is part of a larger plan by Senator Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) to realign the Galactic Republic into a Galactic Empire, brings shading to the vast Star Wars universe. The original trilogy positions the Empire right away as a tyrannical evil; the prequel trilogy exposes, in an offhand way, the ills of the Republic it replaced. It begins in the more lighthearted Phantom Menace, which nonetheless puts forth the idea that the Republic turns away from its underclass on planets like Tatooine. Anakin’s home planet turns out to not be so different under democracy, and when the future Darth Vader (Jake Lloyd, very much a child actor but likable in his gee-whiz way) is freed from slavery, there’s sadness in his inability to free his mother, or anyone else stuck in the dregs of the desert planet.

http://www.avclub.com/article/star-wars-prequels-dont-deserve-your-hatred-226732

lol.

quote:

The eye-filling color and movement of this sequence is like a painting somehow kicked into hyperspeed. The visual density never descends into Michael Bay-style distraction.

It has, however, been turned into a meme, based on producer Rick McCallum’s apparently foolish boast that his epic sci-fi/fantasy trilogy features expansive visuals. The refrain may be familiar from snarky comments sections: “It’s so dense. Every single image has so much going on.” This meme comes courtesy of the internet-famous Red Letter Media prequel reviews, which dedicate feature-length amounts of time to nerdsplaining why the prequels aren’t good, and include repeated footage of McCallum’s quote, an indictment via repetitive implication. The idea, not uncommon in film criticism, is that no amount of visual splendor can make up for the lack of a good story. Through snide repetition, Red Letter Media takes this idea a little further, making visual splendor seem almost inherently stupid.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Hell Yeah posted:

eye-filling color

To his credit, you do have to put words in an article in order to write an article.

I just don't think these are very good words to use.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

av club hasn't had credibility in years op hth

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yo, we flying through your neighborhood in hyperspeed
Astro travellin off that hydro weed

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
I feel bad about asking for someone to paste in the funny post made by someone else, but someone please paste the (Koos? Duncan?) "the opposite reading is true" post here. Without a good post like that in here, this thread will really go to pot.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Cacator posted:

av club hasn't had credibility in years op hth

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

what's wrong with your faaaaaaaace

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Isn't red letter media that weird series that started out as a phantom menace review then became a really edgy rape comedy about the reviewer kidnapping women

DICKLORD BONE
Aug 27, 2003
what exactly am I reading here

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

is that seriously SMG

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

smoobles posted:

Isn't red letter media that weird series that started out as a phantom menace review then became a really edgy rape comedy about the reviewer kidnapping women

yeah and it is really good

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

smoobles posted:

Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJgLa3eKMYs

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
This is impressive. An article designed for maximum user comments.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mr sad posted:

To his credit, you do have to put words in an article in order to write an article.

I just don't think these are very good words to use.

theres a difference between padding an article and making word salad

especially when its a review for a 10 year old movie in which every point he makes has been brought up by every other nerd in existence

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

if you dont like redlettermedia then you are for sure a goon -- because you are officially the most contrary motherfucker on the planet

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
star wars doesn't have enough rape

-star wars fans

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

lol jesse. what a fuckin joke

Pox
Feb 16, 2015

smoobles posted:

theres a 10000 page thread about that website somewhere in GBS.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

A misanthrope posted:

if you dont like redlettermedia then you are for sure a goon -- because you are officially the most contrary motherfucker on the planet

I think just knowing of it's existence guarantees goon status. Favorable opinion or not.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tldr.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

tell me about star war jesse

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Arian_Samurai posted:

I think just knowing of it's existence guarantees goon status. Favorable opinion or not.

oh god youre right what am i doing with my life

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
the onion had credibility?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

A misanthrope posted:

oh god youre right what am i doing with my life

El Spider
Nov 9, 2012

wha t is this

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Jay: "that poor raccoon"

jay cries for the raccoon

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

that coon does not understand the art of chemestry

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Blue Raider posted:

that coon does not understand the art of chemestry

Chemistry is a scinece, actually, like raps or rastafarian magic.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Ork of Fiction posted:

Chemistry is a scinece, actually, like raps or rastafarian magic.

tell that to the coon

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Blue Raider posted:

tell that to the coon

coon dont know science

coon only knows love

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

A misanthrope posted:

coon dont know science

coon only knows love

the garbage at 2am is both science and love

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

star wars is loving garbage. all of it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Blue Raider posted:

tell that to the coon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdSYhwLENvM

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

somebody post that video of the black kid that was watching that chuck norris video where the ranger got kicked in the nads and said "he was injured, injured bad"

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
That episode was terrible!

B-

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Was that really by SMG

What an idiot, he said that Tatooine was ill-governed by the Republic. Tatooine was never part of the Republic, ffs

Step up your game SMG

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

i don't think its SMG as the writer takes a shot at Michael Bay and if the transformers thread taught me anything its that SMG wouldn't do that

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
i always forget which onion spin-offs are supposed to be serious and which aren't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Vorik posted:

star wars is loving garbage. all of it.

• Locked thread