Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Into the Badlands is a post-apocalyptic Kung Fu action TV series airing on AMC 10PM EST on Sundays. Supposedly each fight scene took 6 days to film and there are multiple per episode.

Come for the costume work and the action. :krad:

PLOT

quote:

Centuries from now, a feudal society has emerged in the wake of civilization's destruction. This area is now called the Badlands and is uneasily divided among seven rival Barons. Each Baron enforces their iron rule with the aid of loyal armies of trained assassins known as Clippers.

The most lethal of the Badlands’ Clippers is Sunny (Daniel Wu) -- the Regent (Head Clipper) and most trusted advisor of Baron Quinn (Marton Csokas). For decades, Quinn has been unchallenged as the Badlands’ most powerful Baron; however, the territory’s newest Baron, The Widow (Emily Beecham), has begun testing his appetite for a fight.

One day, Sunny rescues M.K. (Aramis Knight), a teenage boy who has survived a deadly ambush. Sunny soon comes to understand that the teen harbors a dark secret and has a hefty bounty on his head. Together, they will embark on an odyssey that could mean the difference between chaos and enlightenment for everyone in the Badlands.

TRAILER
Comic Con Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KyHy4KRvIc

CAST

SUNNY
Sunny is Regent (Head Clipper) to the Badlands’ most powerful Baron, Quinn. He has over 400 confirmed kills and usually works alone.

QUINN
Ruthless, enigmatic, shrewd and charming, Quinn is the Badlands’ preeminent Slaveowner Baron. A former Clipper, Quinn secured his position the old-fashioned way: he killed for it, murdering the very Baron who trained him.

LYDIA
Lydia is Quinn’s first wife and is both his fiercest critic and most devoted follower. Without her astute counsel, he wouldn’t have ascended so far. While Lydia never doubted Quinn possessed the makings of a Baron, she is less sure about their son, Ryder.

RYDER
Ryder is Quinn’s only son and presumed heir. Impulsive and arrogant.

JADE
Jade grew up as a Cog in Quinn’s house. Now in her early 20s, she is a beautiful young woman whose beguiling demeanor hides a core of ambition and tenacity. She is about to become Quinn’s wife, and aims to eclipse Lydia in her husband’s affections.

THE WIDOW
The Widow is the Badlands’ newest Baron. It is rumored, correctly, that she murdered her husband but few know the story behind her act.

TILDA
Sixteen-year-old Tilda has flourished under the guidance of her Baron, The Widow. She has evolved into a confident, self-reliant teenage assassin.

M.K.
Saved from mercenary Nomads by Sunny, M.K. is taken to Quinn’s walled compound, The Fort. A seemingly average teenage boy, M.K. is anything but.

VEIL
Veil is a doctor who specializes in making and fitting “mimics,” prosthetic limbs. She is unlike anyone Sunny has ever known: principled and honest, loving and supportive.

PRETTY PICTURES

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So this is what happens when Obama takes all the guns?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Supposedly each fight scene took 6 days to film and there are multiple per episode.

Calling bullshit on this claim, immediately

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
Ryders a bitch, I do not like the kid

Sunny and Quinn :dukedog:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I love that all of Sunny's punches and kicks are over-the-top kung-fu impactful and send dudes flying. I didn't know how much I missed that until now.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Calling bullshit on this claim, immediately

Daniel Wu: "We did 12 fight scenes in four months. The rain fight in the pilot is an homage to The Grandmaster. That rain fight took them 30 days to film; we shot ours in 6 days."

And then someone else mentioned some other fight scene taking 10 days so :shrug: I really have no idea.

Darf posted:

Sunny and Quinn :dukedog:

I had no idea Quinn was a clipper until making this thread so that's kinda interesting.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
I enjoyed the Kung Fu Action of the pilot so I'm going to watch this.

Also thank god it is not brown/beige.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
I'm guessing the show is going to be Sunny on the run with his friends, I hope its more like Game Of Thrones where we follow more of Barons, and sets of characters, but I bet not.

I don't really care about the Kung-Foo, but I like the world-building. (Poppy Baron, Oil Baron, ....)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'd love to have a show that puts legit time, money and effort into really good action scenes. The barely seen outside of SA show Human Target filled that niche for a little while, and then I thought maybe Arrow would do it but nah not really. Arrow has like one impressive action sequence per season.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'd love to have a show that puts legit time, money and effort into really good action scenes. The barely seen outside of SA show Human Target filled that niche for a little while, and then I thought maybe Arrow would do it but nah not really. Arrow has like one impressive action sequence per season.

Pretty sure Arrow blew their budget and that swanky new Arrow Cave.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah Arrow and Daredevil both have really fantastic hand-to-hand fights. Daredevil does a cool Oldboy-esque one about episode three or so.

The Americans, of all shows, has some really intense fist fights in it. I think the second episode has about a four minute sequence of these two guys battling all over a tiny, crummy ghetto apartment and it's pretty smash-tastic.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Saw this, most of the acting was pretty shoddy but the Kid & Daniel Wu were alright. However, the fight scenes were all A+. Some movie quality fight scenes in a TV show, worth a look. Not only are the fights ridiculous & brutal, but they do some really neat camera shots during them that really caught my eye. Spoiler when I mention a specific one: In the rain fight, theres a part where Sunny gets his back against the car they are fighting around and the camera switches to a shot from inside the car and Sunny takes a punch to the face that slaps his face against the window and leaves a blood splatter on it. I was like wow nice.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
You guys should check out Banshee.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqRPaucl8r4

I enjoyed this show, the color palette is very cool.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

:stare:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Firstborn posted:

You guys should check out Banshee.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqRPaucl8r4

I enjoyed this show, the color palette is very cool.

I know what this is without even clicking that link.

Everyone should check out Banshee.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I hope they develop the setting more, world without guns aside, some stuff seems interesting. Well, whatever it takes to get post apocalyptic kung fu and ninjas... the action scenes were really cool

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

That's one of the least nutty scenes in Banshee, even. :v: Most of why I'm interested in this show is because it might scratch the Banshee itch until January.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah that's like episode 3.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ZZZorcerer posted:

I hope they develop the setting more, world without guns aside, some stuff seems interesting. Well, whatever it takes to get post apocalyptic kung fu and ninjas... the action scenes were really cool

I do hope we get more than Antebellum South with 1940s vehicles and an inexplicable love of Hollywood China.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So far the story seems fairly straightforward and predictable, but the action scenes really are great. I particularly enjoyed that even the nameless redshirts are shown to be decently skilled and occasionally manage to land a hit on Sunny. That makes the fights much more entertaining and tense to watch than if he'd just mow through everything without any danger to himself.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
Just caught the first episode of this and liked it a lot. I'm a little confused by all the negative reactions because I'm not sure what else you could want in the very first episode of a show like this. I'm really looking forward to the next one.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So they have old time cars and electricity but no guns? Or is it too early to analyze the setting and real life comparisons?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Holyshoot posted:

So they have old time cars and electricity but no guns? Or is it too early to analyze the setting and real life comparisons?

Emperor Obama is very harsh.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Holyshoot posted:

The Barons banished them, so M.K.'s home city is probably just a giant mountain of guns piled into a city.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New episode tonight

quote:

M.K. finds refuge in an unlikely and dangerous place, while Sunny’s loyalty is tested when Quinn tries to force him to commit an unspeakable act.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:rip: squirrel

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Gyges posted:

The Barons banished them, so M.K.'s home city is probably just a giant mountain of guns piled into a city.

Guns will probably appear later, they'll be scarce and someone will fight using Gun Kata with dual revolvers

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Good fights.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I dunno. Nice violence and lots of good looking people, but I don't give a poo poo about any of them. The lack of tension is not helped by the fact that most of the primary characters can slaughter hundreds in melee without breaking a sweat. So no interest or consequences.

I think it would also behoove the nomads to find a college chemistry book.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
They couldn't find a word meaning apprentice or make one up??? Colt?? That's the best you can come up with?

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
The terminology is pretty standard schlock sci fi, yeah.

"Sunny, go and clip those people."

"You mean like give 'em shave or--"

"No! Clip Them!"

"Like high and tight or that faux-hawk thing maybe"

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Iowa Snow King posted:

The terminology is pretty standard schlock sci fi, yeah.

"Sunny, go and clip those people."

"You mean like give 'em shave or--"

"No! Clip Them!"

"Like high and tight or that faux-hawk thing maybe"

I hate it when sci-fi tries to inject its own terminology into the setting. Frack and other curses are fun because they're just a way to get past the swear filters and FCC. But Clippers? Regents? Colts? It seems like none of the other words are different save the nouns, so what's the point? They're colts for the sake of being colts (when really they're just apprentices), clippers for the sake of being clippers (when they're really assassins), and regents for the sake of being regents.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This show sucks.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
So I only saw the first episode, and I don't know if I have to watch it again or something, because what the gently caress happened with 'people get hurt when I bleed' kid? Is there a supernatural element to this show that I completely missed in the marketing? I assumed going into it that the 'dark secret' the kid would inevitably have was just that he was some baron's bastard child, but I looked away for a second and suddenly he's demon-possessed or Teen Wolfing it or something. Super weird.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Verisimilidude posted:

I hate it when sci-fi tries to inject its own terminology into the setting. Frack and other curses are fun because they're just a way to get past the swear filters and FCC. But Clippers? Regents? Colts? It seems like none of the other words are different save the nouns, so what's the point? They're colts for the sake of being colts (when really they're just apprentices), clippers for the sake of being clippers (when they're really assassins), and regents for the sake of being regents.

Getting 'clipped' is a popular gangster term for being rubbed out. Be glad they didnt call em rubbers.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Verisimilidude posted:

Except those words are used as slang and their meaning in the show is related to usage of those words in real life.

Clipper - already pointed out that clip has been used as slang for murder outside this show.
Regents - regents are rulers. In the show they're heads/rulers of the clippers.
Colts - young horses, which usually mean they need training. In the show they're young guys that need training and someone taking one as "their colt" is fairly obviously slang for apprentince/student/etc...

I didn't find any of the language in the show to be at all obtuse, confusing or made up.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

KatWithHands posted:

So I only saw the first episode, and I don't know if I have to watch it again or something, because what the gently caress happened with 'people get hurt when I bleed' kid? Is there a supernatural element to this show that I completely missed in the marketing? I assumed going into it that the 'dark secret' the kid would inevitably have was just that he was some baron's bastard child, but I looked away for a second and suddenly he's demon-possessed or Teen Wolfing it or something. Super weird.

I'd guess it's either mystical or technological. So far the show hasn't really revealed how things got to where they are but I'm assuming it's a post-apocalyptic setting and that city pictured in the amulet and on the book seem to indicate a technically advanced city. Perhaps the kid is an android and that bleeding response is an automated defense system of some type. Who knows. Since nothing else in the show so far has indicated any type of magic is possible, I'm leaning towards some type of tech explanation.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

This show sucks.

I'm not a fan of drive-by shitpostings in TVIV, but yeah, I had to come in here to say this. I didn't even make it 20 minutes into the pilot despite wanting to like it; acting is bad all around (Daniel Wu included), what the hell is up with the Baron's accent/pouty vampire son, crappy dialogue and stupid jargon, can't even say I liked the fights.

Intro credits were pretty cool I guess :shrug:

RandomBlue posted:

Except those words are used as slang and their meaning in the show is related to usage of those words in real life.

Clipper - already pointed out that clip has been used as slang for murder outside this show.
Regents - regents are rulers. In the show they're heads/rulers of the clippers.
Colts - young horses, which usually mean they need training. In the show they're young guys that need training and someone taking one as "their colt" is fairly obviously slang for apprentince/student/etc...

I didn't find any of the language in the show to be at all obtuse, confusing or made up.

It's not confusing it's just dumb. Here is what I think when I hear those words:

Clipper: either a 19th century sailing ship that represented the pinnacle of wind-powered marine engineering, or an NBA franchise
Colt: a babby horse. Whoa watch out, gotta break their spirit!

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 25, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm not a fan of drive-by shitpostings in TVIV, but yeah, I had to come in here to say this. I

I gave it the entire first episode and it's just terrible. And this is coming from someone who made it through every single episode of HELIX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Rhyno posted:

I gave it the entire first episode and it's just terrible. And this is coming from someone who made it through every single episode of HELIX.

Next time you should probably do a better job at trolling.

• Locked thread