Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will leave Survivor's Series as WWE Champion?
This poll is closed.
Roman Reigns 46 20.54%
Dean Ambrose 15 6.70%
Kevin Owens 19 8.48%
Sheamus 50 22.32%
The Gobbledygooker :tastykake: 94 41.96%
Total: 224 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Raw was good, this tourney owns. Literally the only tournament outcome that would anger me is Dean turning but ALSO losing.

I want him as a face champ but would take him as a heel champ. Still think they're dropping hints about a Roman turn, albeit more obliquely than the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm 99% sure we have an Ambrose/Reigns final incoming.

I'm 75% sure one of the two will turn.

I'd say I'm riding on a 65%/35% certainty that Dean and Roman turn, respectively. Dean is the more obvious and likely choice, no doubt, but I wouldn't call a Roman turn impossible. Commentary, Cole in particular, made SUCH a point of talking about Reigns sticking it to HHH that I'm wondering. That and the fact that Ambrose's promo after his match really drove home that he had no interest in fitting the mold makes an Ambrose turn make less sense, whereas Roman said nothing.

Like I said, put a gun to my head and I'm saying Ambrose sells out, but that doesn't mean I'm positive, and that's exciting. And I'm cool with either turn as long as Dean doesn't turn and lose anyway. Feels pretty good, man. ::)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jenkem Delivery posted:

How are they going to get Reigns through two matches in one night with his embarrassing cardio? Either the first match will be a squash or they'll have to do a fake injury spot in the 2nd with paramedics and oxygen to get him extended rest. The guy cant even make it through a 10 minute match without extended rest spots

You've asked this twice and I don't think his cardio is as bad as you think it is. Besides, there are few things on the roster that would test literally any man on the roster more than a power match with Cesaro. Like, seriously.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Lol Jesus Christ people Rollins hurt his knee two weeks before the ppv. Of course a lot of poo poo is going to be half-assed booked. They deserve a ton of poo poo most of the time but goddamn this is not one of those times.

I know I'm That Guy but also this. Their world champ and top heel got wrecked, therefore the entire upper-midcard and main eventers were stuck in the tourney. Even IF they, say, stick Ziggler, Kalisto, Cesaro, et. al. in a SS match, they couldn't announce it before now because they were still in the tourney until last night.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Phenix Rising posted:

Have one match at the start of the show and the other match literally 2 hours later? It wouldn't be that hard.

Yeah. And before anyone assumes I'm saying Roman's cardio is great, I'm not. It's just he's not Big Show or Khali. Dude was an elite level college football player. That kinda takes cardio, you guys.

VileLL posted:

this was very obviously him selling the injured arm

like both sequences have him grabbing his arm in pain, leading directly into Cesaro interrupting

jesus christ

This too. Are we at the point where anyone is saying Roman isn't good at hitting people hard? That's pretty much the one and perhaps only wresting thing he IS indisputably good at.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sometimes WWE does awesome things. Now is one of those times.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
BTW gently caress that last segment and gently caress it hard and gently caress anyone whose idea it was. loving gross.

I will say I actually thought other than the last shot by Paige it was sort of okay. Pretty good, even. Charlotte saying like, "I'm doing this for my younger brother", etc. would've been okay by itself, but that last line by Paige was just...ughhhhh.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dsriggs posted:

gently caress Charlotte for OK-ing that line for the promo, tbh.

I dunno, I could see her not feeling comfortable with vetoing it, all things considered. It's a really difficult position for her to be in. Or Paige for that matter.

Now if she and Paige had said no together, that might've worked.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cory Lidle posted:

There's no point to Charlotte bringing him up while trying to relate to Paige without Paige turning it around and throwing it back in her face. That's the whole focal point of the segment and why we're still talking about it.

Paige could've mocked Charlotte for it without mocking Reid. She could've, I dunno, said "If you're crying now it'll be that much worse when I take your title and you let down your family." or something, rather than literally saying Reid was a weakling for succumbing to addiction. Just spitballing here.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cory Lidle posted:

I get that, but you implied that the go-home line spoiled the whole thing. The go-home line is the whole reason that segment was written, sparks a pull apart brawl (which, by the way, was pretty good) and literally headlined the show. There was no line item veto here.

Well yes and no. You're right in that the level of heat in the brawl only would've worked with that low and dirty of a shot. You're also correct in that the brawl itself was pretty good and that if they insisted on having the signing headline, you need some big go-home image.

My point was that the segment itself wouldn't have been disgusting without that last line. Awkward, perhaps ill-advised, but not disgusting. I'd have done my suggested edit and shifted it so that Reigns/Cesaro main evented the show and ended TV with the WWE.COM EXCLUSIVE bit with Dean and Roman.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

I honestly believe Roman is going to be the one turning heel at SS

It would go well with his "I get everything on my own" thing. He's coming up short, finally accepts that he needs help, gets it

I still wouldn't bet on it but it wouldn't shock me at all. And it'd make perfect sense in hindsight if that's the way they choose to go.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

That DICK! posted:

Eva Marie is about as bad as everyone says Roman is basically

Well said, yep.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

zakharov posted:

I can't tell what level of sarcasm we're operating on here

Seriously people have been saying Itami,, Finn. Asuka, Joe, and Crews would all be racist caricatures or buried partly in jest but also partly seriously I think and unless you count theme music in Itami's case which is the mother of all stretches, none of them actually happened. It happened briefly to Becky and then they dropped the gimmick in short order.

Los Matadores are the only gimmick like that left in WWE really, and neither Primo nor Epico were/are big stars. That doesn't make it RIGHT, I'm just saying 2015 WWE isn't gonna stick a major signing with a Mexicool gimmick or w/e..

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

I think people are more afraid of the racist caricatures when these people get called up to the main roster and Vince gets his hands on them, not so much in NXT.

Like I don't think they're actually going to make Finn a leprechaun, but the racist poo poo is mostly Vince. He can't help himself.

Yeah except when was the last time an NXT callup changed in any substantive way? Honest question.

Electric Lady posted:

I didn't say he would be given a dumb stereotype gimmick, I said he'd be buried. This is the company that had Roman Reigns wear blue contacts to look more white and that is giving a woman with a loving steampunk gimmick more screen time than Sasha Banks.

NXT might treat him right but once he hits the main roster he's fuuuucked.

People overuse the term buried so often on this forum it's ridiculous and also he's probably an NXT-only signing like Joe so who gives a gently caress?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

Charlotte's character went from "I'm the best because I'm superior, not because I'm a Flair" to "WOO WOO WOO WOO"

Sorry it's me, I'm the sexist, I was thinking dudes. :shobon:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Electric Lady posted:

I'm just saying there's an extremely strong precedent. In another universe with better booking, he could be massive. But in this one, I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'd agree but on this forum where anything short of constant main eventer=buried (seriously some people still say Owens is buried) it's hard to take seriously.

Mind you, saying the guy probably isn't going to be used to his potential is different than saying buried and is probably a safe bet. I won't argue with that one. But the way some people talk about it you'd think Owens is Bo Dallas.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

Owens in particular is a sticky point for me. The guy debuted and beat John Cena in his first match, and got over! It should have been a sure fire thing that he be a new fresh top guy, giving us new matchups and stuff we haven't seen before.

But no, because of some undisclosed reason, they quickly made the win against Cena meaningless and now he's on the level of Ryback.

Stuff like that will make it even harder for fans to care next time someone gets a big surprise win against a top guy, since they've proven that it doesn't really matter in their storytelling.

Agreed but that doesn't change that Owens has somewhat rebounded. Kinda like how Ambrose is way down from his peak as a hot face (probably HIAC) and is quite probably being wasted but is still really over and being prominently featured nonetheless. WWE hosed up. Unquestionably. But they're not treating Owens and Ambrose (IMO the two best examples of squandered new star making in recent memory) like poo poo either.

We mostly agree in principle, it's just the severity of the reactions that we feel differently about.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

UpfrontSalmon posted:

Guys just get drunk and watch Survivor Series like me and you'll have a good time this isn't rocket science.

I plan to except sober b/c WWE has been pretty good for the last few months overall IMO, and this is a traditionally dead period.

Admittedly (and I hate saying this) Seth going down might end up being a really good thing in the long run and has made the last few weeks much more interesting.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

Some of us like watching WWE, but can also acknowledge deep flaws in the product. Just like how in the video game forums people can talk about why certain games suck, or in sports people can be mad at their favourite team.

If we were just sitting around being positive all the time we might as well be TNAMecca

You can also acknowledge flaws without LITERALLY immediately dissecting how something sucks or is going to suck before it even happens though. I acknowledge flaws in the product all the time. Me. The guy most people use (rightfully) as an example of being overly optimistic. Most people either just don't notice, or choose to ignore it because I'm not harsh enough or something I guess.

It's not impossible to be somewhere in the middle.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DeepDickPizza posted:

What do you get more joy from, watching the WWE product or constantly complaining about how other people watch the WWE product?

Note: realistically this question could be posed to multiple people, so feel free to answer it if it pertains to you.

This is exactly why I hardly post in GDTs anymore actually

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

zakharov posted:

I'm Yankees/Jets so I get a nice healthy mix.

Wake Forest/Cllppers. We're onto something here.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

R-Truth has a hilarious bit right near the beginning of Smackdown and you should all watch it.

It's the same exact bit they did with MITB last year but it was just as funny this time. R-Truth has incredible comedic timing.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

The excitement for Survivor Series is so great, no one can actually be bothered to talk about it.

I am excited about it, but I don't wanna just be talking to myself either.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

Ambrose vs Owens is going to rule, BoD vs Wyatts should be OK if Harper and Kane stay in most of the time, I'm sure Cesaro will be quite impressive in the impromptu Survivor Series match.

Agree and I am genuinely cool with any outcome of the tourney except "Dean/Roman in final, Dean turns heel, loses anyway." IF Dean turns it should only be for a title win. I'm cool with literally any other outcome, though they provide varying levels of excitement, granted.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chokes McGee posted:

My plan is to watch funny people say funny things about a boring thing on these, the something is awful on the internet forums.

Basically no one here is funny so that sounds like a loser's bet.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't even know what started the chain of Maggle posts but those, if anything, were worse IMO

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Blast Fantasto posted:

I'm sure security will be elevated regardless. All NFL games this weekend will have increased measures in place.

Yeah I see basically no way it'd be pulled off unless it happened before the event as people were filing in or something.

I do wonder how many false attack plans get thrown out there though.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Teddybear posted:

WSB-TV, a local Atlanta channel, is reporting both the threat and that the FBI are investigating.

How would they prevent it anyway? Having bomb inspection stations far from the arena or something? That's the scary thing about suicide bombers. That's why they "work". All you have to do is get near a crowd and explode yourself.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ty1990 posted:

I really hate ISIS

Slow down with that hot take there buddy

(For real though gently caress terrorism worldwide)

Cubone posted:

It's really, really, really hard to get explosives anywhere the United States that don't serve a pretty particular purpose, and every time some dipshit tries making their own they end up confused about why their car full of gasoline and 400 lbs of fertilizer won't blow up as they lose control of the vehicle and skid harmlessly to a slow speed crash. Because explosives are complicated, and terrorists are dumb as gently caress and they suck.

This mental image made me laugh really hard. But really after Paris I'm just assuming bomb vests are gonna be the new popular thing among those idiots, which are obviously easier to carry. :shobon:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cronox2 posted:

Vince agrees with Xavier: KEEP IT TIGHT

RIP UpUpDownDown and all the good it did for everyone who showed up on it.

UpUpDownDown is WWE sanctioned, dude.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

super macho dude posted:

the preshow should be Owens/Ambrose and Reigns/DelRio but gently caress doing a good thing for the fans.

What? They should do the semifinals of the championship tournament on the loving preshow? What are you talking about?

Also I'm watching some old Survivor Series shows to get hype, randomly picked 2008 and as much as we mock the pointlessness of the Divas Revolution, good GOD the Divas match on that show really drove home just how awful things were.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

soapgish posted:

Perhaps give one of them a surprise finish, get some quick Network subscriptions.

No. It's an unbelievably, mind-bogglingly stupid idea.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ostentatious posted:

lol if they turn dean ambrose, their hottest babyface

If they were before they're not now with Cesaro also out.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For shits and giggles:

-Cena
-Ambrose
-ADR
-Owens
-All three members of New Day
-Dudleys
-Lucha Dragons
-The Ascension
-Ryback
-Reigns
-Ziggler
-Stardust
-Neville
-All four Wyatts
-Big Show
-Kane

That's 24 right there with no surprises, no nostalgia returns, and no NXT callups. Also no Brock. It can safely be assumed that either Reigns or Ambrose will be champ though, so take one of them out. You could easily get to 30.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

abraham linksys posted:

doesn't the Rumble need to also have, y'know, an undercard

Yeah but think of the number of extra guys they could slot in there. Bo Dallas, Curtis Axel, Mark Henry, Swagger, both Usos, both Prime Time Players, any number of NXT callups, I totally forgot Tyler Breeze, I'm sure Jericho could show up, and plenty of guys work double at the Rumble. And that's not counting surprises (Sami Zayn maybe?) or like, a nostalgia return for Booker or something.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How long is Orton gone, anyway?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ragnarok the Red posted:

The semifinal matches in the first hour were pretty good, but it was pretty :geno: from that point forward.

I liked the SS match too because New Day owns, and the Divas match was pretty good.

GOD that ending was a wet fart.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
WWE did LITERALLY everything exactly wrong in that main event. It is loving AMAZING.

They've ruined Roman forever and he's the guy they WANT.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shima Honnou posted:

I know, right? It's like, pull the loving trigger. Just do it, god drat. Like a band-aid, one motion, right off.

Exactly.

gently caress.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Seriously I'd have been fine, 100% fine, with face Roman finally winning and walking out champ because hey, star made, can't say he wasn't. JESUS gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sigma posted:

Remember when Roman was in the final three of the 2014 Rumble and everyone was begging for him to be the top guy?

Best part is WWE probably has no idea what the difference is between then and now.

I am seriously amazed that WWE just did that and most amazingly, I think Reigns probably would've walked out champ clean if not for the Rollins injury. Like seriously HOLY poo poo.

• Locked thread