Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will leave Survivor's Series as WWE Champion?
This poll is closed.
Roman Reigns 46 20.54%
Dean Ambrose 15 6.70%
Kevin Owens 19 8.48%
Sheamus 50 22.32%
The Gobbledygooker :tastykake: 94 41.96%
Total: 224 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dave noted they shot Trips and Owens to make Owens look short and had Cesaro and Trips sitting down despite Cesaro bring a few inches taller than Trips. Ha ha ha ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

What does what Lana looks like have to do with anything?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

They happen any time she's out but not in the ring. They're doing that stupid "we know she's good but gently caress you" thing that they're doing with Cesaro.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Another Person posted:

are the wwe handing out these cesaro section signs?

also, appreciated the njpw match start in cesaro/reigns

I think they did once or twice but when they were in Brooklyn a fan printed a thousand of them

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I'm Charlotte Fleihr and this is my favorite promo in the Citadel.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Dave said the ESPN segment with Charlotte was an embarrassment in the wake of the Flair news but I didn't catch it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

It would be one thing if Charlotte had a character on the main roster beyond "I'm Charlotte Flair and I'm better than you" or we had established Reid beforehand. It would still be overwhelmingly crass but it wouldn't be completely lost on 90% of the audience like it was.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

the point was to come up with the carniest imaginable storyline to pop social media mentions the next day

this wasn't the main event because it was the biggest draw, it's because it's the angle they wanted you to walk away from this Raw fresh in your mind

because, y'know, This loving Company

"This Raw was like... going out to a restaurant and the appetizers are great, but you get the main course and you throw up. All you remember about the meal was that you threw up. I threw up in my brain." -Davey Boy Meltzer

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

The Divas Revolution: Still focusing on one singles feud, and at best a faction feud just so everyone gets screentime.

PCB formed and broke up within three weeks. I'm the B who can B a B when she wants to B. P is a C. B said that on SD and they didn't edit it out.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Shave Seltzer posted:

There is more heat on Lana right now. She wrote something on Twitter about Paige saying, "I actually wanted to write a longer paragraph about you. We both know you bullied me in NXT." Paige wrote back, "Don't talk crap and then delete it." Paige responded that she was only in NXT for two months and how if it was true you wouldn't have deleted it, and then wrote "Stop trying to get a storyline." One WWE source said they weren't happy with Lana, which they haven't been since she went public with her engagement, screwing up their storyline with Rusev and Summer Rae. The web site was told to turn the story into an angle feeling that was the way to cover it up and just make people think it's storyline.

So that's that. The website was told to work the marks into working themselves into a shoot over a shoot so they could cover it up as a work.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Also, I hope you like The Rock because we're getting a Fast and the Furious cinematic universe. The Rock's gonna get his own spinoff movie!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

La Sombra just signed with WWE FYI

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/manuel-alfonso-andrade-oropeza-joins-performance-center-28231747

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Charlotte's character went from "I'm the best because I'm superior, not because I'm a Flair" to "WOO WOO WOO WOO"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

Somewhere, Rovert grows turgid.

Scoops fill in my fibers and I grow turgid. Bad posting ensues.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Dave's next WOR is going to be 45 minutes of pent-up rage

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Interesting interview with Daivari in Sports Illustrated.

quote:

“Stephanie came up to me and was like, ‘We’ve got an idea for you for like next week. We want you to debut as a character named George W. Bush, and we want you to wear Red, White, and Blue trunks, and be like a super American patriot.’”

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I'm Michael Hayes and I'm here to be sayin'
We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white childre-in

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

And how appropriate, that the Maggle you grovel for is your very own.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I was trying to go to sleep a few minutes ago and for some reason the enormity of these events finally hit me and I couldn't stop crying. I have no real life friends who give a poo poo about professional wrestling, so this is basically the only place I have to express these feelings, but I really feel the need to express them.

I would like this thread to be about our personal feelings about the death of Maggle, and how it has personally affected us. Just TV-IVing about the details as they come in, or wondering about the WWE's future, and all of that bullshit has no place here. I need to write about my feelings about Maggle. Obviously these posts will be mocked elsewhere on the forums, but gently caress em. If you feel the need to say anything, say it.

-----

Maggle is a murderer. He killed JBL and King. We will probably never know exactly what he was thinking. Obviously I did not know Maggle. I never saw him in person and never spoke to him. But he represented something very special to me. In such a cut-throat, dirty, dark, often disgusting, business he was one of the good ones. When people talked poo poo about wrestling and the bastards involved in it, you could always muffin out Maggle as the exception to the rule. He was the one you could muffin to as a true professional who honored the sport he loved, who was passionate about it, who proved that you could dedicate your life to professional wrestling announcing without being insane or scum or a monster. He was the ace in the hole. He was the one who wasn't in it for the pussy or because he was a failed jock in another sport or because he wanted to get rich quick or because he wanted to be a movie star or because he saw wrestling as a means to an end. He was in it for professional wrestling announcing. He was dedicated to being the best professional wrestling announcer he could be, and it showed in the booth.

I wanted to be an announcer since I was a little kid, and one of the very worst moments of my life was a cold night in San Antonio when I was on the phone to my girlfriend a thousand miles away and finally admitted to myself and to her that coming to Texas to be an announcer had been a mistake. Coming to grips that I was simply not athletically or charismatically talented enough to be a professional wrestling announcer was one of the worst moments of my life. The business glorifies the boyhood dreams that come true. My boyhood dream wasn't going to come true, and it was an upsetting, soul-crushing revelation that upsets and discourages me to this day.

Since then I lived vicariously through Maggle in a lot of ways. He wasn't a man who was destined to be a WWE lead announcer. He couldn't talk. He wasn't charismatic in the usual way. He was quiet. He was short. The only thing he had going for him was his work ethic. He wasn't a third generation announcer. He wasn't physically gifted. He wasn't someone who had words come easy to him. But through sheer effort he was able to become one of the greatest professional wrestling announcers in history. By 40 years-old.

Maggle was only forty, and he was already a legend on the verge of myth. That's how talented he was, and how respected.

I cannot reconcile in my mind that the man who unnecessarily gave back so much to the sport could end his life the way he did. I can't understand how a man could spend weeks and months trying to give back to younger guys like Byron Saxton, putting forth the care and effort to help them find their voice in the booth, and that that same man could strangle his color guy and heel only weeks later. It doesn't make sense. It shouldn't have happened this way. Not for him, not for King, and not for their JBL.

Maggle owed me nothing. But I still feel the loss. I selfishly lived through many of his accomplishments and now feel lost. I can only speak for myself, but I feel that for a lot of us Mondays and Thursdays are rocks of stability in a storm of stress and uncertainty. Every week the show goes on. Every week the show is from somewhere new, somewhere in the world, but every week it comes into our homes.

And that will continue. But Maggle is dead. And he died a murderer. And whether it be insanity, drugs, or just the actions of a clear-eyed monster, what is done is done. And one of the pillars for the guys backstage and one of the pillars for fans is gone. And everything that pillar held up is tainted and dripping with blood.

Maggle was a murderer. And I don't know how to accept that, Maggle.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

GrimGypsy posted:

Also, why did uninjured Uso not get a little bit of singles action during that longggg break? The team was very over and he's pretty good in the ring. Give him a promo or two and some singles matches, maybe it turns out he's a real firecracker and you have a new star. If not, then quietly make him go away like they did anyway. Why waste the opportunity?

Dave explained it a while ago. If you feature the not dead Uso, and the second Uso comes back, you potentially run into the situation where you have two brothers who both look and act the same except in the eyes of the fans one of them is That One Uso and the other is Marty Jannetty.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I don't mean Marty Jannetty like he sucks, I meant a situation where you started with two guys, one left, the other rose up the card, he comes back, and now you have a team of brothers where one's Marty Jannetty and the other hangs around the main event. What do you do?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I don't remember the exact conversation but I do remember it gave us one of the best Dave lines: "No, you definitely don't want to be Marty Jannetty."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

oatgan posted:

Whos there

Someone in Back

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

This was posted in the GBS Celebrity Encounters thread today:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3752402&pagenumber=1

I wonder how long ago this was

Well IMDb says he's been in three movies in the last year and then nothing since like 2005.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Anonymous claims they've got ~intel~ about ISIS attacks on Sunday and that they're going to blow up Survivor Series. I hope Vince challenges them to a match or something.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yeah I see basically no way it'd be pulled off unless it happened before the event as people were filing in or something.

I do wonder how many false attack plans get thrown out there though.

I think that was the plan in Paris but they got there late and couldn't blow up the people lining up. They didn't have tickets so they couldn't get in, either.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Cubone posted:

It's really, really, really hard to get explosives anywhere the United States that don't serve a pretty particular purpose, and every time some dipshit tries making their own they end up confused about why their car full of gasoline and 400 lbs of fertilizer won't blow up as they lose control of the vehicle and skid harmlessly to a slow speed crash. Because explosives are complicated, and terrorists are dumb as gently caress and they suck.

Ryback confirmed in ISIS

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Or the time people found out who the Atlanta Olympic Park bomber was and weren't wrong in any way

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

lol dirtsheet but Dave said this story was accurate on Twitter.

http://www.topropepress.com/news/18597/exclusive-wwe-restricts-media-access-following-charlotte-flair-controversy

quote:

According to a source that TopRopePress.com spoke to on condition of anonymity, WWE has made drastic changes to their policy as it relates to media contact with their superstars following this week’s RAW controversy.

Following the backlash to the Charlotte/Paige contract signing that closed RAW on Monday (where the late Reid Flair’s death was brought up in poor taste as part of storyline), WWE has now apparently restricted the ability for their wrestlers to make appearance on independent internet radio/podcast programs.

While WWE formerly would occassionally allow talent to make these appearances, on the condition that in most circumstances all questions would be submitted to WWE ahead of time for approval, these appearances are now reportedly all off the table for the time being.

Our source brought up the fact that Dean Ambrose recently appeared on an internet radio show, to which WWE replied, “No more.” Further, the un-named WWE source went on to say, “I am so sorry, not to mention embarrassed, to have to tell you this” (concerning WWE’s new policy).

One certainly comes to the conclusion that the company has made the policy change as a direct reaction to the poor publicity they received following this week’s RAW angle, in an attempt to avoid hard-hitting questions on the controversy. If that is not the case, the timing is a massive coincidence.

The new policy makes it appear as though WWE only wants talent appearing on programs where they can control the entire creative direction of the program. For example, it’s expected that talent will continue to appear on Sam Roberts’ radio show, as Roberts has an on-going working relationship with WWE. Another example includes the recent appearances of stars on ESPN’s SportsCenter; these appearances are fluff pieces with a former WWE employee (Jonathan Coachman) designed to not bring up any hard hitting questions or real news coverage of the wrestling industry.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

UnfurledSails posted:

I've never heard of an instance where a bomb threat turns out to be true. These attacks always come out of nowhere; that's the point of terrorizing people.

What I'm saying is to have someone send a bomb threat for every PPV so that ISIS has to call it off even if they have an attack planned.

The IRA would call in their bombs ahead of time under the theory that they were political statements but that's a... bit different.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Fat Lowtax posted:

code:
U S O S
I S I S

Just saying

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I don't think it's ever worked in any promotion. The only thing I can think of would be like, I don't know, the Crockett Cup? But it was a memorial for a guy who died a decade prior.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

That's not a storyline unless you count it as Triple H getting his win back

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Which one is Shoemaker again?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Triple H on ISIS:

quote:

Federal, state and local law enforcement authorities have confirmed there is no specific or credible information involving a threat against tomorrow’s WWE Survivor Series at Philips Arena. However, WWE and Philips Arena have coordinated with the appropriate agencies and law enforcement, and significantly increased security measures to ensure the safety of all those in attendance, which is our highest priority. Doors will open at 6 p.m. to help fans avoid any delays in entering the arena due to the additional precautionary security procedures put in place. Fans are encouraged to take public transportation (MARTA) to the event and are advised that bags will not be permitted in the arena. ‪#‎SurvivorSeries‬

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

rovert posted:

Torn rotator cuff. Cesaro will be out up to six months.

Never have I unwanted a scoop so much

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

lol even Vince Russo reviewed the PPV and nails it within 10 seconds, which coincidentally is the amount of Russo I can stand http://youtu.be/57vrW83Dc70

"I didn't think there was anything they could do to come out of this PPV worse than when they went in... but they did!"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

mkay0 posted:

Road Dogg can't help himself, can he?

What are B.G. James and Kip James doing in the Impact Zone?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

"They're booking him like Daniel Bryan." -Big Dave Meltzer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

triplexpac posted:

I know people hate ratings talk, but I'm very curious what the rating for tonight's Raw will be. It's a post-PPV show with a new champ, so interest SHOULD be up... except it's Sheamus, so who knows

Edit: Some crowds loved Luger, they went crazy for him in WCW for a time. Reigns has never had that kind of reaction.

The rack is the best move of all time. Roman can barely pull off the single-arm deadlift.

• Locked thread