Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

It is Sunday, the 14th of June, 2015, and life proceeds as normal in Owazu. The skies are clear, beautiful and blue. The seas are rolling, perfect weather for surfing, or just swimming in the shallows of the azure waters, lapping against the white sands. Ferries to and from the mainland can occasionally be glimpsed, stark white cruise liners floating between two worlds of blue.

If only the island was as peaceful as its nature suggested. There's been quite the dispute lately, as the mayor has tried to zone some land for a new hotel-resort, with the unfortunate problem that the land belongs to the Uehara family, and they claim it is sacred. So far, not much has been done besides harsh words on both sides, but the situation threatens to turn ugly, if neither side backs down.

This might be concerning to you, or not, just politics that have nothing to do with you, except that Azai has mentioned that since the government announced these plans, he's felt something... off, on this island.

Shoko: What have your mother and grandmother tried to force you to do now? Have you fought back against them?

Harumi: Who's the last person that harassed you, thinking you're responsible for Ninube's death? What did you do back to them?

Oshiro: How has Noa caused you trouble or misunderstanding lately? How do you think you'll deal with it?

Tsukino: Who's invited your wrath recently? What have you done about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Reserved for Relationship Chart, etc.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Wakahisa Shoko

Putting an earbud in, Shoko squinted a little as she listened. Hey Orange - Beginner Greens cued up on, and she listened, though with a critical, quiet ear as she sat on the boardwalk. Tryouts were this weekend, and Honami was trying to encourage her, but if she got in to the Beginner Greens, that was a commitment beyond a TV or magazine ad. She sighed. They weren't bad, but everything surrounding the tryouts was just seeping into the cheery pop. Her grandmother was at it again like nothing had changed. Had everything really changed as much as she'd hoped?

Swinging her arms, she stands, pulling the earbud out with a melancholy stare to the distant waves. She needed somebody else to talk to about this.

pre:
Wakahisa Shoko, aka Shining Butterfly Shoko

Magical Element:	Metamorphosis
Magical Weapon:		"Shining Butterfly Scepter!"
Magical Power:		Flight
Magical Specialization:	Witch

Normal Attributes:	Charm 5				Insight 4			Tenacity 5
Magical Attributes:	Magic (Offense)	8		Love (Defense) 5		Fury (Support) 5
Other Attributes:	Resolve: 18

Magical Talents:	Boost (3/scene, 1O)		Recover (2/episode)		Hex
			Bypass (2/scene, 1O)		Magic Explosion (1O)		Shield (1O-3O)

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 19, 2015

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Hyousuke Oshiro

I started down the street being bothered by Fuyuki again today. Shuffling my bag on my shoulder, I turned and tried to stand up, "Listen, I don't know where Noa is okay?" I said as a dog barked happily next to me. The dog had been bothering me too, but unlike my annoying classmate Fuyuki, he had been kissed by Noa. I remember her, or maybe me, kissing him and it being pleasant and innocent, but then again, she was like cupid. That was enough for him to be smitten, and that means he knew about me as her 'cousin.' I pet the dogs head absentmindedly.

"You don't understand what it is like to be in love. She is so perfect, and strong." He swooned at me which kinda made me sick a bit. My stomach revolted at the idea that an innocent kiss on the cheek would do this to him after she had saved him from a monster, what more would do. She had asked for him to be my friend and I was her cousin, and that was the last thing I wanted.

"I'll tell her you are my friend okay? " I said walking off.

"Tell her! Also tell her I am always there for her forever!" He said as he ran off into the gift store to find the perfect gift. He was going to be annoying, and maybe, I could write a note to him telling Noa broke up with him and then he would stop bothering me. Or beat me up. I would have to figure which one.

Noa was driving me insane with her attempts to cheer me up, though the dog wasn't half bad. It was kinda depressing to think that no one liked me so much, I had to have a dog magically love me. "Well aren't you a good boy." I said as I scratched the stray's head. I was going to name something, something cool. "Akihiko, seems to fit you buddy!" His black coat shining brightly in the sun, and the waves making me smile a bit. Maybe, Noa wasn't so bad to have to have around, though having her separate from me would preferable.

Then the birds came, a dozen canarys swarmed my head, attached to my head as they tried to land on it and I waved my hands over my head in a vain attempt to get me off of me. Collapsing to the ground, and rolling a bit, they seemed to mostly fly off. Finding a bench, I sat down, and just let the two or three that hand not been shooed off land on my shoulders and head. Each bird chirping at me as loud as possible, I seemed to just give in as Akihiko came up to me and licked my hand.

"I hate Noa so much. So so much." I said despondently.

pre:
Hyousuke Oshiro, aka Lovely Lady Protector Noa

Magical Element:	Love
Magical Weapon:		"Elegant Cupid's Bow!"
Magical Power:		Inspire Love!
Magical Specialization:	Knight

Normal Attributes:	Charm 6				Insight 5			Tenacity 3
Magical Attributes:	Magic (Offense)	7		Heart (Defense) 8		Fury (Support) 4

Magical Talents:	Boost (3/scene, 1O)		Recover (2/episode)     		Guardian(Fa, 1O)
                        Reflector (Fa)   	        Create Barrier (ma, 1O, 1/episode)      Fight for Friends(2/scene)
                        Teleport(ma, 1/scene, 1O)

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 19, 2015

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
Ninube Harumi

It had been a few weeks since Kinuye died, but people were still driving Harumi insane with the bad looks and more than occasionally nowadays with outright accusing her of having something to do with it. But, whatever, she knew better than to argue with people - she knew she was innocent, after all.

It did hurt, though, being blamed for her only friend's death. It hurt more than anything, really. Which is why when Nobumoto Wotan had brought it up in the middle of a lesson today, Harumi at first gave him a wounded expression.

Secondly, she told him that she was trying to study, even though she was really just staring out the window, waiting for the school day to end, but that didn't stop him either. So she pushed. Not physically, or anything, just...pushed an image into the bully's head - of a bloody-handed shadow rising up out of the floor and reaching out for him. No one else would see it, of course, but to Wotan, it was as real as anything could be. Which probably explained why he fell backwards in his desk, landing hard on the floor, his legs windmilling, his mouth screaming in terror.

That made Harumi smirk, but only momentarily, and then she went back to staring out the window.

That had been on Friday, of course, and today was Sunday, so Harumi was strolling down the boardwalk, decked out as goth as she could manage, an umbrella in her hands to ward off the sun's rays. It's not that she didn't like the sun, really it didn't bother her, but she had an image to maintain at this point, and the weirder she seemed, the less likely she was to get bothered by anybody who wanted to start something with her.

Really, she was just waiting for an excuse to transform into Asura and get up to some trouble, but one had to time these things properly.

pre:
Ninube Harumi, aka Dream Sorceress: Eldritch Asura

Magical Element:	Fear
Magical Weapon:	        "The Argent Lantern" - Orb
Magical Power:		Nightmare
Magical Specialization:	Priestess

Normal Attributes:	Charm 4				Insight 3			Tenacity 7
Magical Attributes:	Heart (Offense)	4	        Fury (Defense) 6		Magic (Support) 8

Magical Talents:	Boost (3/scene, 1O)		Recover (2/episode)		Link
			Teleport (1/scene, 1O)		Curse (2/scene)		        Implode (2/episode)

DJPON3Vinyl
Apr 22, 2015
Tsukino Yui

A change in perspective can do someone a lot of good.

Yui, for example, could be spending today thinking that she's doomed. That she's got less then a year to live and no force on earth can save her. Then, bam, magic is revealed to exist and she's just got to gather up a set of seeds in order to get her wish and not die.

Some changes are more subtle though. For instance, atop this tree you can see all the way out to the beach, watch the boats go by, sunbathe and enjoy life. Magical girl powers that make the normally overwhelming heat merely warm are a nice bonus.

Slightly lower on the tree is Yui's phone, set to record and taped to a branch, pointing at the favorite 'secret' hangout spot of Riko Chika, self-proclaimed most popular girl in school, and her favorite lackey, Hisako Mai. Some unkind comments made towards the Fuyuhana twins along the lines of 'lookalike freaks that belong in a horror movie' had her clenching her fists. But, as it was in class, she refrained. But hopefully, someone anonymously posting a video of how she managed to cheat on the latest test to the internet might change things around.

Yui shifts, turning towards the sun again. It's a really nice day.

quote:

1.What kind of girl are you?
Arrogant and domineering.
2. What convinced you to make a pact?
A lot of things. The ability to change things was the one part, with a broken, decaying world. The fact that I rushed into it was another. I didn't think, or ask questions. But the main part? I was angry. Just, really, deep down, burning with hate and given this chance to vent it? Who could say no?
3. What is your wish?
"I wish that diseases harmful to humans no longer existed. I've got a few more in mind, but let's stay alive to see them."
4. Magical Element
Wrath.
5. Magical Weapon
Fiery Gauntlets.
6. Magical Power
Word of Power: Can utter, once a day, a command consisting of a single word that there is a strong compulsion to obey.
7. Magical Girl Costume
Light metal armor that’s warm to burning to touch depending on her mood.
8. Normal Attributes
Charm: 3 Insight: 4 Tenacity: 7
9. Magical Attributes
Heart(Support): 4 Magic(Defense): 9 Fury(Offense): 5
10. Base Resolve
11. Magical Specialization
Knight
Guardian Free Action, 1 Overcharge (Defense) If you are in the same position as an enemy and they attempt to move out of that position, you can make a Support vs. Support challenge. If you win, they are unable to move out of your position.
Reflector Free Action Once per round, if you successfully attack a target, you play put a Reflector effect on yourself or an ally within a range of 0-2. The reflector lasts until the end of your next turn. While it is active, any time an enemy successfully attacks the bearer, they ignore up to 3 points of damage from the attack, and the attacker takes those points of damage.
12. Magical Talents
Boost Free Action, 3/Scene, 1 Overcharge When making a magical challenge, you can take 1 Overcharge on the magical attribute you’re using for the challenge to roll an additional die and add it to your result. This die will give you another die and another point of Overcharge if it rolls a 6 as usual, and if you use it for an attack it gives +2 to the attack’s damage as usual. If you have trouble keeping track of how many uses of Boost you have in a scene, you might set 3 special dice out in front of you at the start of each scene, and remove them as you use them.

Recover 2/Episode While out of combat, a magical girl can use this to regain 1d6+2 Resolve.

Aura of Strength Any time you succeed on a defense roll you emit an aura that inflicts 2 damage to all enemies in the same position as you. This aura is not considered an attack action.

Regeneration Free Action, 1/Episode When you activate this talent, for the rest of the scene you regain 2 points of Resolve at the start of each round, up your Base Resolve.

Second Wind Minor Action, 1/Scene Regain 2d6 Resolve and get +1 to Defense challenges until the start of your next turn.
13. Crisis
Turns out Mom’s disease was genetic, and can’t be cured with any magic I've found. I’ve got less than a year to live unless I get my wish.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Hyousuke Oshiro

Looking over to the side, I saw Shoko looking very contemplative, and staring out into the beach and ocean. Walking up to her with canaries chirping from my hair, and a dog circling enthusiastically, I asked, "How is it going Shoko? Looks like something is up." The birds in my hair and dog doesn't seem to be as bothersome as they should be. "I don't know why but something about today seems off."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Wakahisa Shoko

Standing up, Shoko turns to give Oshiro a good stare. "Well, you have... birds...?", she says, reaching our gingerly towards them before pulling her hand back, realizing that'd put her into his personal space. "Well, you have... did you shampoo with birdseed, or something... ha ha, that doesn't make any sense!" She smiles, though, comforted by the strangeness, at least. " She pulls out the earbud, looking at her phone. "Grandmother wants me to try out for a group, and it's a pretty big deal, but..." Always the nonspecific "but" in there. "... I don't know yet."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Hyousuke Oshiro

"That would be Noa... trying to cheer me up." I said batting at my hair trying to shake off a bird or two from my head and only succeeded on them hopping to my shoulder. "She wants you to try out for a group? Are you not good at it or something? I... am not very good at anything but school work." I said rubbing my shoulder and scratching the dog that was leaned against me like I had owned it all its life. "I don't know if I can help much about it, not really been any groups I could join." I looked down and held my arm across my chest.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Wakahisa Shoko

"Oh, it's not that, I think I'd do fine, but... I don't know, I think I'd let them down with everything going on, and..." Shoko rubs her neck. "I'm not very responsible lately." She tries a smile to ward off her self-depreciation, but it quickly fades as she looks down. "And my parents are really excited, too." Well, one parent is. "Oh!" She suddenly looks up. "I'm sorry! I'm sure there's something you're good at!"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Hyousuke Oshiro

"You could always do that next year right? After everything quiets down?" I asked not knowing all this stuff, music was like just stuff on the radio. I had no idea how to perform, and beyond doing math at school and my studies, I wasn't very adept at anything it felt like. Shooing away a bird with a hand, "I think you should try to do it at least if you don't want to let down your parents. At least that is what I would do." I gave a sad hollow smile back at the implication that I was good at something, "I'm sure, but I haven't found it yet, kinda just really awkward and clumsy." I said honestly.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Everyone: The booming deep voice of Azai echoes in your ears, and with his usual melodrama, he announces: "A moment of great catastrophe is upon us! Please conclude your business and convene at the Sanctuary post-haste!" The 'sanctuary' is the 'Public Use' swimming pool of the 'Pleasant Summer' hotel, which happens to be free entry to all the citizens of Owazu. When you get there, you'll inevitably run into one another, but there's no sign of Azai at the moment, what do you think this 'great catastrophe' of his is?

Tsukino: You see something when you spy on those two, but it's not quite what you expect. Nothing as mundane as just cheating on a test. What do you see, and how do you react?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Wakahisa Shoko

Shoko is quiet for a moment. The idol business didn't exactly offer a lot of second chances. "It's not exactly a school club, you know. But... it's like... it's not about who I am now, but... who I'm going to be?" She goes back to ellipse for a moment before she's interrupted.

Hunching, she winces a bit with a call, but the idea of a catastrophe... well, at least it meant she could table that tough decision. Putting her hands on her face, she rubs her cheeks for a moment before smiling. "Well, we better get going! Come on!", she says, before starting down the boardwalk at a jog.

DJPON3Vinyl
Apr 22, 2015
Tsukino Yui

Yui opens her eyes, as the talking below goes to a hushed whisper. Leaning down and straining, the conversation is just barely audible.

"Are you sure it'll be there in time?"

"Don't doubt me Mai. The sacrament's on the boat, and everything'll be ready for the ritual when alignment happens in two days time."

Mai nods, and leaves with Riko. Tsukino, meanwhile, reaches down, grabs her phone, and carefully puts it back and settles in to make sure they're far enough away before she leaves herself.

What on earth was that? Are they magical girls too? This is really, really weird.

Yui climbs down from the tree, pondering. At which point Azai's voice fills her head, and she struggles not to lose her grip from surprise.

~~

Yui gets to the swimming pool quickly, looking lost in thought.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Hyousuke Oshiro

"Yeah I hear you, not many boy idols. It always sounded kinda, you know... weird." I said thinking about things, no longer even paying attention to the animals desperate for my affection around me. "It would change your whole life, and then you would kinda never be the same." I thought I finally got what she was going for until the sound in my head caused me to clutch it like it was going to pop off.

I saw her running off and followed her, followed by a few straggler birds and my new dog. Today was going to become really weird. I gasped as I ran next to her, "This seems big, I hope you know she can handle it."

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Those of you who arrive at the pool are greeted by the giant, rainbow-coloured bird that is your Tsukaima, perched imperiously on the back of the lifeguard's seat where he can see the furthest. "Hark! There are three when there should be four!" he declares imperiously, wings spread wide. "But nevertheless, catastrophe awaits, I have seen it! A tsunami, of immense strength, will hit this island within the next week, unless we bring things into order!" Wings folded, he looks down at you. "...How do you plan to do that?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Wakahisa Shoko

Taking a moment to rest her hands on her knees, Shoko catches her breath before managing some delayed surprise. "Whaaat? But... I... and... um..." She flails for a moment as she mumbles, before pointing to herself and concluding in a strangled tone. "... magic?"

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ninube Harumi

"There's four, birb." Harumi announces with a sneer, popping up over the wall surrounding the pool and hopping down to where everyone else was assembled, holding her umbrella up like a demented Mary Poppins.

Listening to the Tsukaima's pronouncement made the gloomy-looking girl furrow her eyebrows in thought for a moment. "Is that a warning or a promise?" She asks, twirling the umbrella around as she clicks her tongue. "Any idea who's causing it? Or where they are?" She shrugs. "Yui can give them a fat lip or something, right? Ooh, maybe they have like, an earthquake machine and they'll demand a bajillion dollars in unmarked bills to turn it off! And we can take it from him and then WE can hold the whole island hostage instead!" She grins. At least 40% of that shpeel was utter BS, but she was at least 99% sure at least 1 of the others would be unsure what parts were the BS parts and what parts were Harumi's real plan.

Harumi wasn't sure yet either, after all.

DJPON3Vinyl
Apr 22, 2015
Tsukino Yui

Yui spares everyone a wave.

And then another, as Harumi shows up in style.

She closes her eyes, thinking for a moment, while leaning against a fence, before opening them again to speak. "Ok, the first half of that made sense. What does things being in order look like? And does it involve killing a youma?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Hyousuke Oshiro

"I... Don't know!" This was so much to take in all in at once, "A large shield maybe? Evacuate?" Could his father survive losing his home too? Was it worth it? How was he supposed to know?! He wasn't good with anything at all! Ugh, this was such a bad choice to pick him, there was no way that he could accomplish this. Falling to his knees the dog licks his face as he looks at the others.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Wakahisa Shoko

Shoko says to Oshiro, "Hey, she can handle it, right?", with a little fist-pump. She looks over to Yui, though. "Well, if Azai brought us together, then... it has to be a youma, right?" She looks to Azai as if to confirm. "So we have to find out where it's forming and stop it with our magic." She folds her arms. "Don't worry, it's not that complicated!"

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
"Hark!" the Tsukaima says again, dramatically raising its wings as its feathers shift in hue from red to gold. "Though there are Youma that threaten this land, Evil is Evil, whether committed by Youma or by Man! Never forget that - fighting evil is the only way to improve this world!" He pauses, lowering his wings and cocking his head to one side. "But yes, that's about right, if a little lacking in gravitas."

DJPON3Vinyl
Apr 22, 2015
Tsukino Yui

Yui walks over to Hyousuke, putting a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "Hey, it's alright. We just need to find the youma, then beat it senseless. We can do that."

She looks up at Azai, continuing. "So, do you have any leads on where this thing is or what it might be, or should we just split up and search for clues or something?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Hyousuke Oshiro

"I'm... really not good at this hero stuff at all." I said letting my shoulders droop a bit. Noa would have figured this out instantly, but not me.

"Don't you need to know where it is to fight it?" I asked a bit probingly, a lot of things had been turned upside down lately.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
"There is one that lies within this very building, scheming and dormant; another that roams the outskirts of town, violent and self-destructive. Your choice in this matter is, as always, up to you!"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Wakahisa Shoko

"Ehhhhhh?!", Shoko exclaims. "If it's right here, then we have to deal with it! We can't just walk away... let's go find it!"

She's clearly not overthinking this.

DJPON3Vinyl
Apr 22, 2015
Tsukino Yui

Yui bounces up, following after Shoko. "Yeah, that's a good plan. But why not both? We all go find this one, rest up, then have a lovely countryside romp to kick some more teeth in."

She smiles a predatory grin. "Won't it be fun?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Hyousuke Oshiro

"I mean if they are like both going to hurt people we better stop them both, right?" I said, the girls seemed determined, but I was rather ill equipped to deal with the monsters, I suppose I kinda knew that Nao was stronger than I was, but I didn't exactly have a way to gauge that. Either way, stopping people from getting hurt seemed the best coarse of action really.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ninube Harumi

"Hmph, boring." Harumi remarked, clearly considering her plan for how things should be going down the superior option. "Let's start with the local and move out from there, yeah? But there better be some awesome loot at the end of this dungeon, heh." She hopped across the circle and linked arms with Yui. "You can protect me from the earthquake man, right?" A smirk. She was joking, of course, though it was hard to tell.

DJPON3Vinyl
Apr 22, 2015
Tsukino Yui

She freezes for a moment as she tries to process that, and errs on the side of caution. "So long as you mean a youma, yes! As for loot...."

Yui begins searching with a melodramatic declaration, dragging Ninube with her if she doesn't keep up the pace. "If this fine lady requires loot, your loyal Knight shall prevail to find you seeds. The only loot worth having, right? Heh."

(OOC: Insight challenge.

17:53 Krysmbot Vinyl, 12+4 = 16)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Hyousuke Oshiro

"Yeah, I suppose as long as no one gets hurt right? It wouldn't be fun at all if someone got hurt, and then have to deal with that." He said seriously.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Wakahisa Shoko

Shoko falls quiet at Oshiro. "Oh. Um. Well, it'll be dangerous, but we're here for you.", she says softly. "If you don't feel up to it, just say so, it's okay." She starts to walk. "But this is something that needs to be stopped. You heard Azai."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Hyousuke Oshiro

"Nah, we should do it. I mean don't want everyone to like die" He says pressing both fingers together nervously, it was obviously he didn't want too. However, there was a severe sense of obligation.

• Locked thread