Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'd rather WotC take big risks that could potentially flop than play it safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I suppose it's possible someone got ahold of art but not card texts and that Wastes art is a new Mountain art or something, but sadly I think these are real. That's definitely new Ray Swanland basic land art that's consistent with the arty style of the current set.

Looks dumb as hell to me but I hope to be proven wrong.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
It's totally real and someone is losing their job as we speak

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
What's so dumb about it? Anything new will look alien at first. People thought processing and using the exile zone was gonna be bad and it's fine. There's a reason people have kept asking for something like this for years and years: Because it's different and cool.

This even presents an interesting twist for limited as you now have six 'streams' of colour to draft. It's not a new colour, but it behaves exactly like another colour in terms of drafting and splashing during deck construction.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I have a sudden urge to fake up some cards with Club, Heart and Spade mana costs.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I suspect these are real, and if so I bet we're seeing a permanent templating change for colorless mana, possibly tied in flavorfully with the Eldrazi winning on Zendikar, or at least pulling off something big before getting defeated.

It actually elegantly solves several problems, like giving colorless commanders a basic land, powerful artifacts being too splashable, and the ambiguity of both a cost of {1} and the addition of {1} to your pool being symbolized the same way.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Apologies if this was already brought up, but if the new symbol just means "Must be paid with colorless mana," then doesn't this make the Enemy Painlands, like, really good?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Even if these are real, I doubt it'll make a permanent change to how colorless mana is produced because it'd make it too much like a for real 6th color. It'll be a gimmick for this set and for wherever they bring it back.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Don't mind me, I misread stuff.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 18, 2015

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

bhsman posted:

Apologies if this was already brought up, but if the new symbol just means "Must be paid with colorless mana," then doesn't this make the Enemy Painlands, like, really good?

That's a surprisingly interesting solution to the perceived issue of fetches+fetchable duals ruining standard

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GeneX posted:

That's a surprisingly interesting solution to the perceived issue of fetches+fetchable duals ruining standard

No, no, keep going on about how New And Totally Rad Kozilek is totally fake or whatever.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Magic: The Gathering: Pure Fuckin' Diamonds

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Seriously if it really does mean "must be paid with colorless mana" and all colorless sources are errata'd to produce diamond mana (so that the (1) now means "can be paid with any color of mana" and is distinguished from "colorless") it's a good and smart change, since it's unchanged in terms of mana production and will probably be used sparingly at best for costs (for fear of making it a de facto 6th color).

It's functionally identical to a 6th color also, but the freedom from any flavor restrictions opens up a hell of a balancing tool, and it'll hopefully not be overused

This is all assuming it's real, and I'd be more annoyed with Kozilek (sure, let's just give the big guy menace. And a conditional counterspell ability that requires you to have him in play already.) than with the change to colorless mana.

I guess he might theoretically see play in the now-fringe UW or Mono U tron decks? Maybe a sideboard card against a particularly hand disruption heavy jund player?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Gridlocked posted:

Magic: The Gathering: Pure Fuckin' Diamonds

Magic: The Gathering: Look Again, The Mana Is Now Diamonds

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GeneX posted:

Seriously if it really does mean "must be paid with colorless mana" and all colorless sources are errata'd to produce diamond mana (so that the (1) now means "can be paid with any color of mana" and is distinguished from "colorless") it's a good and smart change, since it's unchanged in terms of mana production and will probably be used sparingly at best for costs (for fear of making it a de facto 6th color).

It's functionally identical to a 6th color also, but the freedom from any flavor restrictions opens up a hell of a balancing tool, and it'll hopefully not be overused

This is all assuming it's real, and I'd be more annoyed with Kozilek (sure, let's just give the big guy menace. And a conditional counterspell ability that requires you to have him in play already.) than with the change to colorless mana.

I guess he might theoretically see play in the now-fringe UW or Mono U tron decks? Maybe a sideboard card against a particularly hand disruption heavy jund player?

I think I could play any control deck using Kozilek as a wincon. He's just rad as hell and so is his art.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I'd definitely play that Kozilek in Standard ramp, since searching that out with Sanctum after casting Ulamog, and drawing 4-6 cards, sounds sweet.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Hellsau posted:

I'd definitely play that Kozilek in Standard ramp, since searching that out with Sanctum after casting Ulamog, and drawing 4-6 cards, sounds sweet.

Discarding Nissa's Pilgrimage to counter Infinite Obliteration seems :coal:.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

oh yeah the standard ramp deck exists

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

JerryLee posted:

Anything is possible when you look like Kozilek and not a lady. I'm on a horse.

Duskfiend
Apr 5, 2011

Awwwk! Awwwk!
IIRC Oath of the Gatewatch prerelease is going to be Two-Headed Giant. My theory is that Diamond costs must be paid with waste mana from your Eldrazi buddy's mana pool. :ssh:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Duskfiend posted:

IIRC Oath of the Gatewatch prerelease is going to be Two-Headed Giant. My theory is that Diamond costs must be paid with waste mana from your Eldrazi buddy's mana pool. :ssh:

Your hypothesis is that they're printing an Eldrazi Mythic that will actually be literally unplayable in 99% of formats after the prerelease?

Duskfiend
Apr 5, 2011

Awwwk! Awwwk!

Some Numbers posted:

Your hypothesis is that they're printing an Eldrazi Mythic that will actually be literally unplayable in 99% of formats after the prerelease?

yea haha

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

GeneX posted:

This assumes there are any Diamond cards good enough to make deckbuilding choices around.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I would play that Kozilek in Modern Tron, assuming those diamonds really do act as colourless symbols, and probably over Ulamog, too.

That card shuts down Burn really well if it resolves, is helpful against Infect, and in general you're playing it as at least a draw 4.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I'm pretty sure every time in the history of Magic when a card was spoiled with high-quality new art, it has turned out real. I don't think there's a possible way to have that Kozilek art unless you hacked Briclot's computer, so they're probably real.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
This isn't Oath of the Gatewatch, but it's even crazier: Keith Adams, The Misprint Guy, recently acquired of the documentation and playtest cards for a Magic set that never saw print, called Spectral Chaos from their original creator, Barry Reich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaOh-EqNYvE

It's a super interesting watch, and it's crazy to see something like this finally come to light 20 years later.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Niton posted:

This isn't Oath of the Gatewatch, but it's even crazier: Keith Adams, The Misprint Guy, recently acquired of the documentation and playtest cards for a Magic set that never saw print, called Spectral Chaos from their original creator, Barry Reich.

It's a super interesting watch, and it's crazy to see something like this finally come to light 20 years later.

Quite coincidentally, the guy in "Barry's Land."

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Niton posted:

I'd just like to see to a list of all of the cards. It'd be fun to see what it could have done to change a lot of Magic.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

JerryLee posted:

Much better. Mods pls, till it turns out we are all insane and are believing lies.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
So there's 2 possibilities (I'm assuming the cards are real at this point)

♦ is the colorless mana symbol and basic lands with a type produce ♦ by default. The rules get rewritten to specify the difference between generic mana and colorless mana - currently, there is no functional difference, but the only way to make a card actually cost colorless mana (instead of just generic mana), you have to either create a symbol (♦) or you have to put it in the text box by saying that some number of the casting cost has to be paid for with colorless mana.

♦ is something like Phyrexian mana where it can be anything WOTC defines it to be, e.g. it could be an option to pay ② or you could just pay ♦ if you have a source for it.

The more I think about it he more the former is more likely than the latter because it resolves the fact that you can't force a player to pay colorless mana at all right now for something without serious clunk and it resolves a minor rules ambiguity since generic mana and colorless mana are in-fact totally different things represented by the same symbol. http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post...ymbol-eg-add-1 The downside is that you would have to rewrite pretty much every single card to say "T: Add ♦ to your mana pool," but almost nothing would actually use ♦ outside of some stuff in Battle for Zendikar block. In that sense you create more ambiguity, not less, since new player might want to know what's up with this random symbol that never does anything.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 18, 2015

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Niton posted:

Really cool, thanks for posting it.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Ramos posted:

I'd just like to see to a list of all of the cards. It'd be fun to see what it could have done to change a lot of Magic.

He says he's going to get full scans / a full card list up eventually. There's also apparently going to be a full-length documentary on it, which i'd recommend checking out as well.

Angry Grimace posted:

The downside is that you would have to rewrite pretty much every single card to say "T: Add ♦ to your mana pool," but almost nothing would actually use ♦ outside of some stuff in Battle for Zendikar block. In that sense you create more ambiguity, not less, since new player might want to know what's up with this random symbol that never does anything.

Well, there's no knowing this for sure, is there? I wouldn't be surprised if it wound up evergreen, just as a way to push cards for 1 and 2-color strategies.

Niton fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 18, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Niton posted:

He says he's going to get full scans / a full card list up eventually. There's also apparently going to be a full-length documentary on it, which i'd recommend checking out as well.

Well, there's no knowing this for sure, is there? I wouldn't be surprised if it wound up evergreen (or, at least, way more common than Phyrexian mana) as a way to push cards that don't really fit into the "Shocks n' Duals" manabase paradigm they've gotten themselves into.

The existence of the symbol might be evergreen, but I doubt you would see colorless mana mattering very often because colorless mana itself not actually mattering is what defines it outside of sets with Eldrazi in them.

I have to say that it will/would be very strange to actually be able to cast Kozilek off of Kozilek's Channeler, but not have it be obvious you could do that based on the card text within the same limited environment.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I think Mirrorpool specifically is bullshit. The art is super generic and could easily be an island or another wastes if that is legit, plus two mythics being leaked seems somewhat unlikely.

Alternatively, green is so bad in BFZ because it is being replaced by a new colour. This is Wizards' solution to Siege Rhino

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I think Mirrorpool specifically is bullshit. The art is super generic and could easily be an island or another wastes if that is legit, plus two mythics being leaked seems somewhat unlikely.

Alternatively, green is so bad in BFZ because it is being replaced by a new colour. This is Wizards' solution to Siege Rhino

Except Mirrorpond was leaked like an hour after Kozilek and Wastes. Given that Mirrorpool includes a mechanic which literally first appeared on the first two leaked cards, for Mirrorpond to be fake and the other two real, someone would need to mock up that Mirrorpool card complete with previously unseen art and abilities with the new mechanics in like 45 minutes.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 18, 2015

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Except Mirrorpond was leaked like an hour after Kozilek and Wastes. Given that Mirrorpool includes a mechanic which literally first appeared on the first two leaked cards, for Mirrorpond to be fake and the other two real, someone would need to mock up that Mirrorpool card complete with previously unseen art and abilities with the new mechanics in like 45 minutes.

Well they're presumably from a different source given the difference in image quality so I guess the alternative is that people got two different leaks within an hour of each other?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Well they're presumably from a different source given the difference in image quality so I guess the alternative is that people got two different leaks within an hour of each other?

yes actually the one where someone mocks up a new card with new art that isn't obviously fake in like 30 minutes is way more improbable

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Angry Grimace posted:

The existence of the symbol might be evergreen, but I doubt you would see colorless mana mattering very often because colorless mana itself not actually mattering is what defines it outside of sets with Eldrazi in them.

I think there's a decent amount of room, honestly. One obvious branch is hybrid Color/Colorless costs, but it's also just a nice design tool to make cards that are hard to cast specifically for 3 and 4 color decks.

e: As it stands, we have one major recurring villain where Colorless definitely matters (Eldrazi), one where it easily could (Phyrexians), and a few plot lines where it could show up as either an allied or enemy aligned ability (Ugin, Nahiri, Garruk). I would be pretty surprised if we didn't see any of those within the next two blocks, and any new enviroments could similarly have reasons for Colorless to exist as a specific concept.

Niton fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 18, 2015

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Niton posted:

Pastoral Falcon, 2B 1/2 (not flying), T: give target red creature plainswalk until end of turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Here we go Devotion to ♦ :v:

• Locked thread