Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
Welcome back to What If Sports! It's been a while but we're not letting these leagues go away without doing the theme everyone always wanted to do.

What the heck is this, anyway?
What If Sports is a service for simulating leagues of historical sports players, and Sim League Baseball is the only one that's worth a poo poo. Want to pit the Ruth and Gehrig Yankees against Koufax and Drysdale? Want to have a pitching staff of all knuckleballers? Every historical season from 1885 on is ready to be slotted into whatever team you choose!

Pictured: the platonic ideal

That sounds good, so why are we here?
The theme for season 26 is Pick Six!

- This is a draft theme. Each round, every player will submit to me a list of six players (or a ballpark).
- If no one else names your player, congratulations! That player is free for you to use.
- If anyone else names your player, they are BANNED from all players

That's it! Simple enough, right? Here are the parameters for our league:

- The eligible years are 1994-2015 for now but I am willing to accept input here.
- There is no salary cap, the players you can draft are the players you can use!
- There will be no DH

I want in on this!
As well you should!

Owner List
1. Bob Shabazz
2. Kensei
3. ArtVandelay
4. ManifunkDestiny
5. Pumpkin McPastry
6. Groucho Marxist
7. Zamboni Jesus
8. Nerokerubina
9. @SpaldingBalls
10. Power of Pecota
11. gardenald
12. Atheistdeals.com
12. Devo
13. jeffersonlives
14. angrygodofjebus
15. Evilbeard
16. regfairfield
17. duyarvish
18. Male. Bi. Unix.
19. Julio Cruz
20. Accident Underwater
21. JosefStalinator
22. NutShellBill
23. zapplez
24. gyroball

Bob Shabazz fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
Blacklist: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vefpv_ZrY1wsFU4G_CHNwTBspKY1OkofWBeJzaJFU8M/edit?usp=sharing

kensei posted:

No one gets these guys:

code:
Adrian Beltre
Albert Belle
Alex Rodriguez
Andruw Jones
Barry Bonds
Ben Sheets
Bryce Harper
Chuck Knoblauch
Clayton Kershaw
Curt Schilling
Darin Erstad
Eric Gagne
Gary Sheffield
Greg Maddux 
Hideo Nomo
Jake Arrieta
Jason Schmidt
Jeff Bagwell
Joe Mauer 
Johan Santana
Jose Bautista
Kenny Lofton
Kevin Brown
Koji Uehara
Larry Walker
Manny Ramirez
Mark McGwire
Matt Harvey
Nomar Garciaparra
Pedro Martinez
Randy Johnson
Roberto Alomar
Roy Halladay
Sammy Sosa
Todd Helton
Tony Gwynn
Zack Greinke
These players were taken successfully:
code:
Albert Pujols
Barry Larkin
Bret Boone
Carlos Beltran
Chipper Jones
Chris Carpenter 
Chris Sale
Clay Buchholz
Coors Field
Dee Gordon
Dodger Stadium
Doug Drabek
Edgar Martinez
Eric Chavez
Frank Thomas
Garrett Richards
Grady Sizemore
Hanley Ramirez
Hong-Chih Kuo
Ichiro
Jacoby Ellsbury
Jason Giambi
Jim Edmonds
Jose Fernandez
Juan Guzman
Ken Caminiti
Luis Castillo
Marcus Giles
Mariano Rivera
Matt Kemp
Matt Williams
Max Scherzer
Mike Mussina
Mike Piazza
Mike Trout
Pat Hentgen
Paul Goldschmidt
Paul Molitor
Roger Clemens
Tim Lincecum
Tim Salmon
Todd Hundley
Troy Tulowitzki
Vernon Wells
Vladimir Guerrero
Wade Boggs
Yu Darvish

Bob Shabazz fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 2, 2015

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

Reserved just in case.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

In

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'm in, but I can't respond from work, so I might slow down the proceedings a bit.

I don't know if you've seen it, but WiS is going to start assigning dynamic salaries to players. Players will now cost more or less depending on their usage in the database. Not loving the idea.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
In, I've missed WiS

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
:megadeath:

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
:frogc00l:

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

1/3 of the way there already!

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?
This is v. exciting.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

In either way but Is this before or after implementing dynamic pricing

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
I haven't done a simleague in... hell, since the last goon one. I'm in.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Power of Pecota posted:

In either way but Is this before or after implementing dynamic pricing

This theme has no salary cap

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Just wanted to share this ridiculous Fernando Valenzuela Random Captain team of mine that just made the playoffs with the 2nd best record. Gotta love my #8 guy getting 100 RBI. Chris Hoiles 4 eva

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

yeah I still have unused rewards points, why not.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Screw it I can't pass up a pick 6. In.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Definitely in.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Bob Shabazz posted:

Owner List
13. jeffersonlives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I have teams left before Prog died. Count me in (and terrible).

regfairfield
May 22, 2005
I'm in.

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
I'm in too if you still need anyone

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

24 is the goal so there's still plenty of room.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

I'm in

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

It would be really cool if we filled this this week. Only 6 more spots!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
In on this.

e: do we have to submit a year for each player? Or do we pick a year once we've claimed a player?

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 24, 2015

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Julio Cruz posted:

In on this.

e: do we have to submit a year for each player? Or do we pick a year once we've claimed a player?

Once you successfully claim a player you get the exclusive rights to all his years. But you don't have to pick which specific one until you submit your team.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
I want in!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to get my name in for this.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

That means we're still looking to add 3 more

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I've got a few WIS seasons left. I'm in, if you're still taking applicants.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

You're in!

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Make alleyviper join

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

I'm trying!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

If anyone has a bunch of credits and wants to get a new goon into this, Ice To Meet You (his twitter) was interested when I mentioned it in IRC.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
did anyone try PMing toadee and ivan?

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
Question!

I'm new to this format. Are there multiple draft rounds, or do you make a team based on the 6 guys you may (or may not) get in round 1?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
OP says "each round" so I presume we keep going until everyone has a full roster. What makes it interesting is that some guys will have a full roster way before others.

Never done anything like this before so my goal is not-last.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

OP says "each round" so I presume we keep going until everyone has a full roster. What makes it interesting is that some guys will have a full roster way before others.

Never done anything like this before so my goal is not-last.

Thought it might be a one player each round for 6 rounds thing. Your way makes much more sense though.

Question 2:

If you draft someone whose playing career is from 1980-1995, do you get all his playing years, or all his playing years after 1994?

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

It is indeed 6 players each round, and the only seasons eligible are the ones within the year range. So if you drafted Wade Boggs, everything from 82-93 is off limits.

Related to that, though, I think the year range will have to be shrunk a bit. I was accounting for the possibility of more players but it looks like we're gonna top out at 24. How would people feel about a change to 1998-2015 instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

In addition, this draft can be an rear end in a top hat if you fall behind, so I'm proposing a new rule and I'd like to hear what people think:

- if you are shut out in any round, you may submit one more pick before all picks are revealed

• Locked thread