Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
I'm doing a bit of research about penis-shaped things and I realized that not every country is going to have the American delicacy known as the corn dog. If you're not an American, please post here with your country and whether or not you have such a thing please. I'm asking nicely because this is really important to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
In Australia, we have such a thing and it is called either a 'Dagwood Dog' or 'Pluto Pup'

Edit: their popularity is questionable at best

Serak fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 18, 2015

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

In europe we don't eat corn 24/7 so no

but we do have a lot of stuff with a panade, which is the same concept but with breadcrumbs

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008
Here in Europe we have many types of dogs, havent heard of that kind but i think we might have it

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
what is a corndog

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

we don't in scandinavia and that is a good thing

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Corn Dogs are uniformly bad unless they are amazing, just how it works.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I see plenty of dogs outside all the time, op hth :)

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Serak posted:

In Australia, we have such a thing and it is called either a 'Dagwood Dog' or 'Pluto Pup'

I don't know which is worse, battered savs or chiko rolls.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

It's just called a hotdog on a stick where I'm from (earth)

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Japan has "Big American Dogs" at 7/11 which are corn dogs. Upon further research, I guess that's what the British called them because they can't call foods using the correct words, and the Japanese just use that term.

None here in Germany.

...I've been looking. :'(

Gonna have to build my own out of bird seed and bubblegum.

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

Is this the kind of dog youre talking about OP?

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
Fortunately, we don't have corn dogs here in Germany.

The one corn dog I once ate at a fair in Michigan was one of the two most disappointing food items I ever had. Since I learned to expect over the top artificial flavors from "surprise food" in the US, I thought the thing that was offered to me on a stick was like a hot pocket, filled with sauces and other stuffing to add some flavour. But no, it was a tasteless sausage in a flavourless bun on a stick. That's it. I don't understand why anybody on the face of this planet would eat something like that as long as they have access to anything else.

It's as demented as the British drinking tea when they could be slurping tasty coffee instead.

The other disappointing food I had in the US were grits. I was in Louisiana, and the Cajoun food convinced me that I could forget the Corn Dog debacle and that I had finally found a place in the US where everything was tasty. I mean: just thinking of Jambalaya, Gumbo, dirty rice, etc makes my mouth water right now. But then one day, I tried grits. The singular most uninspired and flavorless food in the world. What's the point of that? Even a corndog has a stick, which is at least an attempt make it more interesting, or to polish that turd, so to speak. But grits is just a slab of grey slime with white stuff in it that tastes of absolutely nothing. And that's all there is to it.

Now if you were an 18th century puritan, and you had few ressources and thought that tasty food was a sin, I guess that it would make sense to base your diet on grits and corn dogs. But nowadays? What reason could there be to eat that crap other than the belief that any other food will get you punished in the afterlife?

Ibogaine fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 18, 2015

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
all my food and drink is made out of cum

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
:britain:

No (unless I make my own at home, which is more of a pain than you might think, or I guess on US military bases).

But then our hotdogs come in jars in brine so, yeah, we bad at dogs.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Serak posted:

That is nonsense gibberish words, you clearly made that up

*checks Wikipedia*

Wtf??? Also, "Dippy Dogs"? What is wrong with Australia

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

HJE-Cobra posted:

*checks Wikipedia*

stupid words are the unfying concept of their wacky wonkaverse country as far as I can tell

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

HJE-Cobra posted:

*checks Wikipedia*

Goofy from disney was originally named dippy dog so it's an american thing

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Japan also sometimes uses pancake batter instead of corn bread.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Drunkboxer posted:

stupid words are the unfying concept of their wacky wonkaverse country as far as I can tell

they inherited that from the british

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Ain't no such thing in Denmark

Karl L
Nov 9, 2015

I spent money on an image and a few lines of text.
I want some corn dogs now. Thanks OP.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
We have corn dogs in the USA

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

There is a dive bar that only sells corn dogs after midnight and they are awesome. Jalapeno in the batter and good spicy mustard.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
We have them in Canada.

I currently live in Japan. They have them but they are called American Dogs. Don't think you can ask for an American dog and actually get a corn dog though. You have to say it like Ah may re kan dog gu.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Corn dogs are a very disapointing food

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Mini corn dogs are the way to go. I hope this helps with your penis research.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ahundredbux posted:

all my food and drink is made out of cum

OP wants non-American responses tho

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Chard posted:

OP wants non-American responses tho

I know they exist here, but I have never in my life seen one being eaten.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I dont even know what they are

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Ibogaine posted:

Fortunately, we don't have corn dogs here in Germany.

The one corn dog I once ate at a fair in Michigan was one of the two most disappointing food items I ever had. Since I learned to expect over the top artificial flavors from "surprise food" in the US, I thought the thing that was offered to me on a stick was like a hot pocket, filled with sauces and other stuffing to add some flavour. But no, it was a tasteless sausage in a flavourless bun on a stick. That's it. I don't understand why anybody on the face of this planet would eat something like that as long as they have access to anything else.

you put sauces (esp ketchup\mustard) on it you don't just eat it straight you dingus, ffs

Pantsless Hero
May 25, 2004

Serv-Bot will kick your ass.

Embrace the corn dog. Love the corn dog. All the way down to the stick.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Also Japan, "American Dog" lmao widely available at convenience stores with a little squeezy packet of ketchup and mustard. You can't get two packets, you can't get just ketchup, or just mustard.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
when i was in jail they had corn dogs once a month and that was the most excited i have ever been about a corndog. they took the the sticks out so we couldnt use em as weapons tho

Modest Mauser
Oct 28, 2009

Ibogaine posted:

The other disappointing food I had in the US were grits.

Yeah, what in the gently caress are grits supposed to be anyway ? When I was in university in Georgia, all that these fat slobs would talk about were grits.
So I finally went to a diner, managed to order some grits and then they bring me this useless and flavourless slime ??

I guess, apparently, grits are a vessel for obese American people to heap butter and cheese upon. Those two of course being representative of 90 % of American cuisine.
"Yah want some butterrrrrr on that dahrrlin ?" gently caress you, billie-jo-kathy-jean.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If I go to the fair I get a viking dog which is a ground meat stick with corndog stuff around it and mustard you dip it in

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Modest Mauser posted:

Yeah, what in the gently caress are grits supposed to be anyway ? When I was in university in Georgia, all that these fat slobs would talk about were grits.
So I finally went to a diner, managed to order some grits and then they bring me this useless and flavourless slime ??

I guess, apparently, grits are a vessel for obese American people to heap butter and cheese upon. Those two of course being representative of 90 % of American cuisine.
"Yah want some butterrrrrr on that dahrrlin ?" gently caress you, billie-jo-kathy-jean.

Grits is corn porridge. Porridge is rarely good. The closest thing to good porridge is congee. This is because they cheat and put pork and onion and egg in there sometimes.

This is as good as grits gets, and its made by a homo in SF and not that great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CvA4S-OHyc

raton fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 19, 2015

digger_smolkin
Feb 23, 2007

Any Problem Solved

Is A New Problem Made
Alton Brown's corndog recipe is outstanding and if you don't mind getting messy produces the best dogs of corn. You can use your dog of choice, brats also work but can get greasy, even by Southern standards.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Ibogaine posted:

But no, it was a tasteless sausage in a flavourless bun on a stick.
That's not a corn dog, which is a tasteless sausage cooked in corn batter, no bun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Yes. We even have a breakfast version. Pancake batter wrapped around a breakfast sausage on a stick.

• Locked thread