Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Holiday menu and gifting questions have started arising in The General Questions thread, and it was suggested elsewhere (though I don't remember said "where") that someone (though I don't remember said "one") start a holiday recipe/gift ideas Q&A megathread. So, here it is. Ask and ye shall receive.

Homemade gift ideas:
  • flavored sugar/salt
  • flavored oils/vinegars; chili oil
  • hot sauce
  • soup mix
  • chocolate truffles
  • marshmallows
  • sweet/savory nuts/candied nuts
  • hot cocoa mix
  • fruit butter/jam
  • granola
  • cookies (in a decorated pringles can!)

This list if from:

kinmik posted:

I need some mailable holiday gift recipes guys! Last year, I sent my family flavored salts and sugar and the wiki's mango habanero hot sauce, which they loved. This year I've got sweet and savory nuts, marshmallows, and maybe some jarred soup mix, but for that last one I'm afraid it's just gonna sit in my parents' pantry.

What do you like to make, or what do you like to receive in your holiday package from your loved ones?

exquisite tea posted:

Personally I always love receiving those assorted little bottles of quality flavored olive oils and vinegars, because they're always nice to have on hand but not typically stuff you'd buy for yourself.

Gerblyn posted:

I've been toying with the idea of making my own chocolate truffles. I looked it up and I was surprised at how easy they are to make. You're essentially just making ganache, flavouring it with something like brandy or orange zest, then dipping balls of it in something like crushed nuts, coconut or melted chocolate. There seems to be a lot of freedom to flavor and decorate them, and make something fancy looking, without really having to do anything all too complex or fiddly, except maybe a tempered chocolate coating.

psychokitty posted:

I always do candied pecans and hot chocolate mix. This year I'm considering granola and maybe fruit butter(s).

Sweet Custom Van posted:

There are several varieties of cookie that travel well- shortbread and chocolate chip come to mind- and if you decorate a pringles can it makes a very good shipping container.

spankmeister posted:

Last year I made Irish cream and put them in those mason jars with handles. Cheap, easy and good gifts.

Scientastic posted:

Chilli oil is really good, looks very nice and is super easy without appearing so...

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Recipe questions asked thus far:

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Does anyone have a recipe for some kind of hors d'oeuvres for Thanksgiving? We ended up having some last time when the turkey took too long to cook and everyone was just standing around waiting. It would need to be something light that I could make the day before.

dino. posted:

Olives, pickles, hummus and pita, cucumbers, carrot sticks, or crackers, roasted nuts ...

Brawnfire posted:

I usually do a charcuterie tray if enough people are coming over. Plus my family makes these tiny toast things with cheese, they are addictive. I think it's a glob of mayo and parm baked onto the toast.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Thanksgiving means deviled eggs for me. Also, pickles and carrot sticks.

poop dood posted:

So I just remembered that a couple weeks ago I volunteered to handle the sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving with my family this year. For like twenty years we've been doing the mashed sweet potato casserole with brown sugar and marshmallows on top, and I'd like to do something more interesting.

My first inclination is that my family wouldn't be too into anything non-European in style, but they've surprised me before. I'm pretty able in the kitchen, I'll have all day to prepare it and I like a challenge. Any recipes or general guidance would be appreciated.

pile of brown posted:

Boil and mash them but instead of dairy add coconut milk and red curry paste. Deeee-licious

detectivemonkey posted:

Sweet potatoes au gratin!

psychokitty posted:

I usually do mashed with cardamom and orange juice (plus butter and cream of course!).

Steve Yun posted:

I want to make Kenji's stuffing waffles for thanksgiving, but I have a Muslim guest. What's a good replacement for sausage?

I looked at turkey sausage at the grocery, and one brand said it had pork casings which is immediately out. Another said it had "collagen" casings. Is that synthetic?

Is ground turkey any different from turkey sausage?

Gerblyn posted:

Collagen is like gristle and tendons and things, it could come from any animal, though in the case of turkey sausages you'd hope it came from turkeys!

Anyways, the easiest way to tell if something's suitable is if it's marked as "Halal". Round here, I'd just go to a muslim/turkish butcher, but I guess you don't have one in your area?

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, easiest way is to go to a halal butcher. If you don't have one, make your own sausage meat with ground meat, breadcrumbs (fine type, not panko), spices, herbs etc, sauce to bind. E: you remove casing in the recipe, so does it matter and wouldn't it be easier to make your own "sausage meat" mix anyway? Just use a rissole or meatball recipe

psychokitty posted:

I would use well-seasoned ground turkey or chicken (dark meat) mixed with a little added fat like schmaltz or duck fat or even butter.

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 19, 2015

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

This is somewhat of a follow up to the hors d'oeuvres for Thanksgiving question, but my family is pretty boring when it comes to food and I'd like to contribute something this year. I was thinking some sort of roasted nuts may be a great thing to snack on, anyone have favorite recipes/methods?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I made these two recipes in school and all I remember is that they were super moreish and gone before class was out. I don't even like nuts.

Candied Pecans - really basic, really good stuff
1 lb whole pecans
2 egg whites + 2 tbsp water, beaten
4 1/2 oz superfine sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cardamom
1 1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground coriander
1/8 tsp cayenne

Preheat oven to 250. Mix nuts and egg whites, drain well. Combine sugar, salt, and spices and toss nuts in mixture until evenly coated. Spread in a single layer on a sheet pan and bake for ten minutes, then lower temp to 225 and bake for another ten minutes, stirring occasionally until dark golden brown. Cool completely and serve.

Spicy Curried Cashews
1 lb whole cashews
1 oz unsalted butter, melted
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp curry powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp cayenne

Preheat oven to 350. Toss cashews and butter together until evenly coated. Combine salt and spices, reserve. Place cashews on sheet pan and bake until golden brown (doesn't give a set time). Remove nuts from oven and toss with spices while still warm.

I'm planning to do the pecans, but I'm stuck between the curried cashews and chili-roasted peanuts with dried cherries. I can post that one too if you'd like.

e: thanks for the thread, psychokitty!

kinmik fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 19, 2015

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Being a Swede living in America, I always throw a Swedish christmas dinner party for friends and make ~15-20 different things. One thing that works really well as a gift is Glögg, Swedish mulled wine. Easy to make and drat tasty.

Glögg

1 cup vodka
1 750ml bottle of good red wine (preferably something heavy like a Bordeaux)
2 cinnamon sticks
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tbsp cardamom (whole)
1/2 tbsp cloves (whole)
Peel from a bitter orange (grapefruit peel works in a pinch)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Grind the spices coarsely (minus the cinnamon) and add to a bowl together with the vodka and orange peel. Let steep in the fridge for 24 hours. Filter the vodka through a coffee filter and discard the spices. Add the sugar and vodka to the wine in a pot and heat very gently until the sugar has dissolved. Let cool completely and pour into a bottle (the wine bottle you had will be a little small - I generally make a much larger batch and bottle into gift bottles).

Store in the fridge. Lasts about a month.

To serve: reheat gently over low heat and serve hot with raisins and almonds in the glass (you serve the glass with a spoon and eat the nuts and fruit while drinking the wine).

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Teeter posted:

This is somewhat of a follow up to the hors d'oeuvres for Thanksgiving question, but my family is pretty boring when it comes to food and I'd like to contribute something this year. I was thinking some sort of roasted nuts may be a great thing to snack on, anyone have favorite recipes/methods?

Here's my ancho chili candied pecans recipe:

2 lb pecans
1/4 C egg whites
2 T water
1/2 C evaporated cane juice (or granulated sugar)
1/2 C coconut sugar (or dark brown sugar)
3 t ancho chile powder
2 t Kosher salt

Preheat oven to 350. Whip egg whites with water just until a little foamy. Toss pecans in egg wash, coating thoroughly. Whisk the rest of the ingredients together and toss with eggy pecans until well-combined. Pour onto parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake 15 minutes. Stir and bake another 15-20 minutes until the sugary stuff starts to crystallize. Immediately and carefully move parchment & nuts to a cooling surface. You'll probably need to do a couple or three batches. I do like 6-8 lbs a year for gifts.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
I'm looking for a ham recipe - unscary enough for my family and unboring enough that I might eat it.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

From general questions...

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone have a good mashed yams recipe? I'm going to be cooking a ton for Thanksgiving, and I want to get my ducks in a row early-ish. I've seen some recipes saying to bake them, some to boil them. I'm seeing some that recommend maple syrup, even. I'd prefer to get the natural sweetness if possible, without adding much, if any, additional sweetness.

I'm not doing the yams with marshmallows thing, because that's gross. (countdown to guy who doesn't like sweet potatoes/yams saying it will be gross anyway)

I'm also making green bean casserole. Is Alton Brown's recipe here a good one to go with?

I also want to try making a Christmas turkey next month, because my family has an Italian christmas, which means two lasagnas and a spaghetti with meatballs. I'd really like to offer some variety, especially because the lasagnas are frequently not very good. Where would I buy a turkey when it's not Thanksgiving? I only ever see them in the store that time of year.

See above for sweet potatoes recipes (same as yams).

As for green bean casserole, we do a similar one to Alton's in that everything is fresh-made, but we use haricots verts, cremini/shiitake mushrooms, and frizzled leeks on top. Our shroom soup also has sour cream in it instead of half&half. I would post the recipe, but I don't know where my mom got it, and we've made changes to it over the years.

You can buy turkeys in the store at xmas time, too.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Since I ended up in the OP of this thread, I'll follow up on the recipe my mom gave me for the parmesan toast thingies:

Brawnfire's mom posted:

Hot Parmesan Canapes:

1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce.
1/4 teaspoon onion salt
1 tablespoon sherry (I can't believe I forgot this! Use real sherry, not cooking sherry, as it is too salty)
Spread on small pieces of toasted bread and sprinkle with more Parmesan. Put under broiler until bubbly. (Grandma's instructions)

Cheese and Bacon Canapes

1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons horseradish
1 tablespoon sherry
1/2 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
Same instructions as above.

They're pretty tasty. These things used to be at every extended family party.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Brawnfire posted:

Since I ended up in the OP of this thread, I'll follow up on the recipe my mom gave me for the parmesan toast thingies:

They're pretty tasty. These things used to be at every extended family party.

I'm like a ninja. Sort of.

I'm going to make both of those things for my 50's housewarming party. They sound very 50's to me for some reason.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Make sure to encase each one in aspic.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

psychokitty posted:

I'm like a ninja. Sort of.

I'm going to make both of those things for my 50's housewarming party. They sound very 50's to me for some reason.

They probably are, it's something I will forever associate with my grandparents and the fifties were definitely their heyday.

Well, the heyday of having a family, the 40s is when they were skinny and beautiful and pining for each other in letters sent across a war-torn world. :3

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Make sure to encase each one in aspic.

That's the spirit. Best yet, if you have an entire prawn, encase that in aspic, make a nice coaster-sized slice and put it on the canape.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is roasting or boiling the yams better for flavor? I think we're probably going to go simple and just do butter and salt. We're also making three or four things in a small kitchen. Probably the most adventurous thing I'm going to do is make some Limmers Club Punch if I have the time.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is roasting or boiling the yams better for flavor? I think we're probably going to go simple and just do butter and salt. We're also making three or four things in a small kitchen. Probably the most adventurous thing I'm going to do is make some Limmers Club Punch if I have the time.

Do you mean roasting whole, like a baked potato? If you have really amazingly sweet yams, then yes by all means do that and just go simple served with butter and S&P.

If you have sub-par, less than sweet yams, then you could cut them into chunks, toss them with brown sugar, oil, and S&P and roast them; or boil away and mash (add some cream/milk and a red potato for a very nice texture).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The store has garnet and jewels, I think. They should be good, they are one of those largely local produce places. Maybe I'll taste one once I have roasted it whole to see if it needs any sweetener. Is roasting a potato one of those things that takes longer at elevation?

This is the first time I have cooked for holidays, so I'm really hyped about it.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
So as a followup to the sweet potato recipe question quoted in the OP, I've decided to do a sweet potato gratin with a spiced bechamel. I haven't done a gratin before. All I have to do is boil and slice the sweet potatoes, make a bechamel, simmer it with spices, layer and bake, right? I'm gonna flavor the bechamel with cinnamon, ginger, curry (red curry paste as was suggested), maybe cardamom and cumin? A little brown sugar? Any other suggestions?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have only roasted yams once, and it came out terrible. Should I poke holes in the skin? That's what my mother used to do, but she wasn't a great cook so I don't know if it's a good idea.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

For bechamel, I would go simple with just nutmeg and S&P, but that's me... I think simpler would be better with a gratin. Google some recipes though, because I'm curious.

For roasting, yes, poke them a couple of times with a fork.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Teeter posted:

The best nuts I ever et are deep fried. Get a pot of oil going on medium high heat. Throw in your nuts. Let them fry, stirring constantly, until they're a light brown colour. They'll keep cooking once you take them out of the oil. Remove from the oil to a bowl, and toss in your seasonings and salt. Toss to combine. Fry your next batch, because these fuckers will disappear really fast. Bonus is that the oil you've fried the nuts in is extremely delicious when used in cooking.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

poop dood posted:

So as a followup to the sweet potato recipe question quoted in the OP, I've decided to do a sweet potato gratin with a spiced bechamel.

Don't boil the sweet potato. Slice it thin (about 1/8"), layer with your bechamel, top the dish with foil, bake until mostly done, and finish with foil removed to brown the top. I'd make the bechamel on the thinner side like a thick cream to account for time in the oven. Or just use a spiced cream.

Butternut squash also takes very well to this treatment.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
So I'm making a recipe that I made last year, which is green bean casserole egg rolls. Last year I only served four people, so it was easy to just do 3 egg rolls to an order, each order individually fried in a pan. This year I'm serving 12, and I'm not sure of the right way to cook them. Deep fry? I feel like that requires a lot of babysitting that I don't want to do, but if it's the best way to do larger batches then I will knuckle under and do it. Baking? That will probably be easier for larger batches, and will require less babysitting, but will that give me the nice crispy crackly outside and warm creamy inside I want? Oven space is also at a premium, so I'm just not sure. Is there some other method I am failing to think of?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How should I season brown gravy? This would go with turkey and potatoes. The problem is I don't know who is bringing the potatoes, so I don't know if the potatoes will have any seasoning of their own.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How should I season brown gravy? This would go with turkey and potatoes. The problem is I don't know who is bringing the potatoes, so I don't know if the potatoes will have any seasoning of their own.

About as salty as soup or hair more so. Assume it will be going on something that could use some extra life and consider it part of the seasoning. And put a goodly dollop marmite/vegemite in it to work toward the salt and umami.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Butch Cassidy posted:

And put a goodly dollop marmite/vegemite in it to work toward the salt and umami.

Or if you're not a weirdo, a little bit of soy sauce.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I know asking if anyone has a decent salad recipe is silly, since you can just throw together whatever and toss it, but the salad my aunt asks our family to bring is the saddest/most disgusting thing. Seven layer salad (really, six, since she has a loving conniption fit over any kind of onions). It's peas, celery, bell pepper, iceburg lettuce, cheese, bacon and the 'dressing', which is a combo of sugar, mayo and sour cream. It's terrible, bland, nobody really eats it anymore 'cause I think they're all secretly sick of it by now, but my aunt insists 'everyone loves it!'

Any suggestions for a nice, salad ingredient combo that wouldn't weird out the most whitebread of family members. I like having some veggies, but this crappy salad is like, my only option other than canned corn and mashed potatoes. (Hell, I'll probably end up making my own individual salad just so I don't have to go with that option)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

LadyPictureShow posted:

I know asking if anyone has a decent salad recipe is silly, since you can just throw together whatever and toss it, but the salad my aunt asks our family to bring is the saddest/most disgusting thing. Seven layer salad (really, six, since she has a loving conniption fit over any kind of onions). It's peas, celery, bell pepper, iceburg lettuce, cheese, bacon and the 'dressing', which is a combo of sugar, mayo and sour cream. It's terrible, bland, nobody really eats it anymore 'cause I think they're all secretly sick of it by now, but my aunt insists 'everyone loves it!'

Any suggestions for a nice, salad ingredient combo that wouldn't weird out the most whitebread of family members. I like having some veggies, but this crappy salad is like, my only option other than canned corn and mashed potatoes. (Hell, I'll probably end up making my own individual salad just so I don't have to go with that option)

There are lots of good salad options but if your family is too scared of any deviation you probably don't have many options besides a standard garden salad (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, maybe shredded carrot, you can leave out the onions for your insane aunt) and a caesar. If you think you can get a little out of "generic side salad" territory, apple and walnut are nice additions. I had a nice salad with escarole and grapefruit not too long ago as well.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

LadyPictureShow posted:

This might not fulfill your veggie requirement, but Kenji's caesar salad recipe is delicious and I'm sure it'd satisfy your fam. Plus they'll be super impressed with homemade croutons even though they're the easiest thing in the world. I just use anchovy paste from the tube because it keeps well in the fridge. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/10/the-best-caesar-salad-recipe.html

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Butch Cassidy posted:

About as salty as soup or hair more so. Assume it will be going on something that could use some extra life and consider it part of the seasoning. And put a goodly dollop marmite/vegemite in it to work toward the salt and umami.

I just want you to know I was very displeased by the close proximity of the words "soup" and "hair" in this post.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Not a question, but I did Kenji's Sauteed Green Beans with Mushrooms and Caramelized Cippolini Onions last year and it was great. It can be mostly prepared in advance and thrown together with just a few minutes on the stove which I enjoyed. Debating making it for my picky eating in-laws this year too.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

guppy posted:

There are lots of good salad options but if your family is too scared of any deviation you probably don't have many options besides a standard garden salad (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, maybe shredded carrot, you can leave out the onions for your insane aunt) and a caesar. If you think you can get a little out of "generic side salad" territory, apple and walnut are nice additions. I had a nice salad with escarole and grapefruit not too long ago as well.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

This might not fulfill your veggie requirement, but Kenji's caesar salad recipe is delicious and I'm sure it'd satisfy your fam. Plus they'll be super impressed with homemade croutons even though they're the easiest thing in the world. I just use anchovy paste from the tube because it keeps well in the fridge. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/10/the-best-caesar-salad-recipe.html

Thanks guys. I do think Caeser could be a good fix, and that recipe sounds pretty good. Family meals/going out with them feels like this article:
http://www.theonion.com/article/area-grandmother-tries-indian-food-2472

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Texas Caviar: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/152270/best-ever-texas-caviar/ <-- People in the Midwest love it so much. Just skip the 1/3 cup of sugar, and use maybe 1/4 tsp or so. You don't need that much sugar at all. Instead of the rice vinegar, use the juice of 1 lime. The rest is fine.

I make this beet salad that's gotten crazy amounts of love:

3 lb beets
1 lb carrots
1/2 lb daikon or red radish
1/2 lb granny smith apples

Peel the beets with a peeler. Grate everything up, either in your food processor, or using a box grater.

Dressing:
Handful of raw soaked almonds
1 TB white miso (optional)
Glass of orange juice, reserved
1 TB lemon or lime juice
Handful of fresh green chiles, stems removed. Omit if you don't like heat.
Salt, to taste
1 TB Rice wine or apple cider vinegar
Knob of ginger

In a blender or food processor, combine the almonds, miso, lemon/lime juice, green chilis, ginger, and vinegar. Grind until the almonds and chiles are chopped up. Then, crank the blender or food processor on full speed, drizzling in the orange juice in a steady stream, until everything is the thickness you want for it to be. Remember that you want this to cling to the vegetables. Then, when it's like you want it, remove it from the blender, and add salt to taste.

Toss the vegetables together with the dressing, and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes. The beets will turn everything into a brilliant pink/red, and the flavours will meld together beautifully. You'll get a little sweetness from the orange juice, carrots, and the apples. You get some tartness from the apples and lemon juice. The ginger provides a lovely counterpoint to the hotness of the chiles and the sharpness of the daikon. It's a wonderful salad, even in the cold weather, because the flavours just marry so well together.

You could use peanut butter or any other nuts you have in place of almonds. All it'll do is change the flavour in interesting ways.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Beetroot salads are awesome. I'm taking one of Beetroot, Fennel, Red Onion and Orange. I seem to be in a passive aggressive war with my American in-laws when it comes to holiday food. I got tasked with appetisers, and having had it explained to me again that appetiser for them doesn't mean first course but sundry items to snack on and ruin their appetites, my salvo is going to be:

The aformentioned Salad.
Chicken Liver Pate.
Butternut Squash Pate like substance. Without cinnamon and all the other normal pumpkin spicing. Gonna be savoury.
Toasts for smearing upon.
Selection of Olives & other pickles.
Spicy Cranberry relish.
Goat Cheese Tart.

They'll be serving Turkey Tetrazzini. I'm certain this is not a dish you serve to people you love.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Cavenagh posted:

Beetroot salads are awesome. I'm taking one of Beetroot, Fennel, Red Onion and Orange. I seem to be in a passive aggressive war with my American in-laws when it comes to holiday food. I got tasked with appetisers, and having had it explained to me again that appetiser for them doesn't mean first course but sundry items to snack on and ruin their appetites, my salvo is going to be:

The aformentioned Salad.
Chicken Liver Pate.
Butternut Squash Pate like substance. Without cinnamon and all the other normal pumpkin spicing. Gonna be savoury.
Toasts for smearing upon.
Selection of Olives & other pickles.
Spicy Cranberry relish.
Goat Cheese Tart.

They'll be serving Turkey Tetrazzini. I'm certain this is not a dish you serve to people you love.

Oh lord. I'm so glad you will have delicious food (since you are providing it!) with which to fill up before that horrible poo poo. And super high five (with jumping) for the cinnamon-free butternut squash pate. I would love that recipe. I just made cinnamon-free pumpkin butter this weekend and it's so loving good. You can actually taste the pumpkin... it's like caramel pumpkin butter. I just want to spread it all over everything.

Every year that my mom and I cook thanksgiving dinner, I am thankful that we know what we are doing and are thoughtful and loving enough to prepare a delectable feast for the people we love. We don't kill ourselves, we have fun, and the whole thing is a grand time. Isn't that what it's supposed to be?

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 23, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay follow up on my sausage substitution in stuffingwaffles question: would ground lamb work?

The only merguez sausage I can find is in pig casings. I know there's a brand that uses sheep casings but I think the local distributor went out of business so I'm having trouble finding it again.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It occurred to me right after I put these yams in to bake that the recipe I am using has maple syrup for moisture. However, I don't want to add sugar. What should I use instead? Water? Milk?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It occurred to me right after I put these yams in to bake that the recipe I am using has maple syrup for moisture. However, I don't want to add sugar. What should I use instead? Water? Milk?

It depends. What's the full recipe?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

21 adults and three kids came over last night for Black Friday Friendsgiving, a thanksgiving for people who couldn't spend time with their own families and also for people who did get to spend thanksgiving with their families but wanted to crash anyways for free food.

Most recipes taken from Serious Eats:

There were three deep fried turchettas.

Stuffing waffles, substituting ground lamb for the sausage because one of my friends is Pakistani

There were hasselback potatoes gratin, sous-vided sweet potatoes, and cranberry relish

This ratatouille recipe by Daniel Gritzer of Serious Eats, which I personally think is garbage. Stick with Thomas Keller on this one.

Rosemary sourdough bread

French cultured butter.

Flourless gravy (used xanthan gum as the thickener) and ginger lemon cranberry sauce

Browned butter chocolate chip cookies

Ice cream berry trifle

At the end of the night, my Pakistani friend asked if I had black tea, cardamom and fennel laying around, and then she made chai as a special treat for all of us.

Pretty good holiday, would do again++

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 29, 2015

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Steve Yun posted:

Pretty good holiday, would do again++

That is beyond pretty good, IMO, and I wasn't even there! Super awesome concept and execution!

I'd been waiting to post mine because in our haste I didn't get pie pics, but I think my stepdad did. I can post those later.

We have an indecisive thanksgiving. My mom and I found some great recipes years ago for stuffing and gravy, and instead of deciding between two, we always make both. So, two kinds of stuffing, two kinds of gravy, two kinds of cranberry sauce, and two kinds of pecan pie. The cranberries are because some people HAVE to have that canned jelly poo poo, and the pecan pie thing is because we make one regular and one K&W Cafeteria german chocolate. We also had cinnamon-free pumpkin pie (YUM).

Clockwise, starting at the front: sage sausage focaccia stuffing (with a big strip of turkey skin on top, see below), from scratch green bean casserole with wild shrooms and frizzled leeks, cranberry chestnut cornbread stuffing, turkey, thyme gravy, pear gravy, orange cardamom mashed sweet potatoes, an empty plate to be filled for an appreciative garage attendant (he picked us out of the whole building), a can of cranberry goo, ginger molasses cranberry relish.

One of the stuffings, the sage sausage focaccia, gets stuffed under the skin of the breast meat to keep it juicy. This year my mom watched Alton Brown's tutorial on how to carve a bird and we had a properly carved turkey for the first year ever.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nicol Bolas posted:

It depends. What's the full recipe?

Late. We ended up not using anything at first. Just butter and salt with a tiny bit of stevia. It turned out really well. Really easy, too. Just baked them, then scooped them out and mashed them up. Maybe I'll try some nutmeg or thyme next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Late. We ended up not using anything at first. Just butter and salt with a tiny bit of stevia. It turned out really well. Really easy, too. Just baked them, then scooped them out and mashed them up. Maybe I'll try some nutmeg or thyme next time.

Oh, yeah, if you're just doing a mash you don't really need much of anything besides some salt, and you can throw anything into it. I was afraid you were talking about a custard-based casserole of some kind, in which case you might want to throw in some other liquid to help keep the custard the right consistency and keep it from getting too firm when you bake.

• Locked thread