Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

strap on revenge posted:

i didn't play lttp as a kid and it's bad because you can't slash your sword in a diagonal direction. too bad if an enemy is 1 pixel out of your swords range, you're gonna get hosed up.

links awakening, the oracle games, windwaker and the n64 ones are the best

The sword covers a 90 degree arc in front of you. This is a weird complaint.

Like, what do you want, your sword to hit outside of your sword's range?

OH WAIT IT DOES THAT TOO, just don't get hit scrub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Greatest gaming series.

Original was the best one though

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
ok op you should pay the original or lttp they are good games.

ocarina of time used to be a good game but a manchild who makes bad flash movies called it bad so it's bad now

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ignite Memories posted:

The sword covers a 90 degree arc in front of you. This is a weird complaint.

Like, what do you want, your sword to hit outside of your sword's range?

OH WAIT IT DOES THAT TOO, just don't get hit scrub

Agree with this post the other post was weird

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Get him to boot up the game and start playing it then go off and gently caress his GF.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I think all of the Zeldas are probably the best video games.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Ignite Memories posted:

People only think LttP is hard because they've had zelda games drag them by the hand from plot point to plot point for the last 17 years. Play LttP if you can wrap your head around concepts like "exploring places without some rear end in a top hat telling you to go there".

I think "guess what the developers want you to do next" is poor game design and do not enjoy backtracking in circles with no guidance, it's not a fun kind of difficulty to me and I say that as a person who enjoyed notoriously hard old games like the original megamans. LttP is imo a poor recommendation for a first time zelda player in 2015.

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

I would suggest taking a good look in the mirror and evaluate your life, a grown man playing video games for children. Rethink how you're living.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

I think "guess what the developers want you to do next" is poor game design and do not enjoy backtracking in circles with no guidance, it's not a fun kind of difficulty to me and I say that as a person who enjoyed notoriously hard old games like the original megamans. LttP is imo a poor recommendation for a first time zelda player in 2015.

Others have mentioned this but there's literally a place where you can go that will tell you what to do next if you're having such trouble with it.

I'll start recommending another zelda game when they make another good game.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Wind Waker still holds up really well

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
link between worlds got a bunch of gotys for good reason. it contains alot of the cool aspects of modern games while mostly reusing the lttp world, which is good because every modern zelda game since windwaker had poo poo overworlds.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Tailored Sauce posted:

A Link to the Past is the only game you should play

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I honestly don't remember if I ever played one or not. I only vaguely remember playing one or two of the Final Fantasy games.

Also, everyone else is wrong. Super Dodge Ball was the best SNES game ever, particularly when you played it along with drinking and drugs.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Ignite Memories posted:

Others have mentioned this but there's literally a place where you can go that will tell you what to do next if you're having such trouble with it.

I'll start recommending another zelda game when they make another good game.
I honestly do not recall the seer being that useful, but i could be remembering wrong.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I too get outsmarted by games designed by six year olds. Do you have a big brother you can call to do the hard parts for you?

Parallax Scroll posted:

i did get stuck once in lttp. there's this bomb shop and all they sell is bombs, i was like this place is useless i can get bombs lots of places. then later they also start selling a super bomb that you need and it didn't occur to me to go back there and check whether they had started selling other stuff they didn't sell before

Yeah this is like the one legit weak point in LttP.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
The best Legend of Zelda game in the series is Zelda 2 The Adventure of Link

Every Zelda game since Link to the Past has been a baby game for girls.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i like legend of zelda a lot i have played through all of them except the philips cd i one and the 3ds and wii u remakes of older games you should play the 3ds ocarina of time and the majoras mask remake i would say to jump right to majoras mask but it is an actual direct sequel to ocarina of time so you should play it first okay have a good day

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012
Link to the Past is dope because you do great and you're fighting the forces of evil, taking care of the knights in the castle, getting better swords, doing standard Link poo poo, and then suddenly you get to the Magic Mirror part and you travel inside your own mind or some smoke salvia or something insane and everything goes to complete hell and you have to fight increasingly godawful things.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i wish you could stay as the bunny rabbit

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Celluloid Sam posted:

i wish you could stay as the bunny rabbit

what do you think the game genie was for?

perma bunny with all of links poo poo.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Microwaves Mom posted:

what do you think the game genie was for?

perma bunny with all of links poo poo.

thats sick i only had an nes game genie so i used to play snake rattle and roll and have zero gravity

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
My favorites are A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, and Ocarina of Time but you can do whatever the hell you want.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

these better be guys

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Son of Rodney posted:

play links awakening its the best when you're 10

this is literally the only context that i have properly enjoyed zelda

the 3d games have a tendency to treat you like a bitch who doesn't know how to play games

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Bowlcutbarricade posted:

these better be guys

Somewhere, a gay magazine voted Link the sexiest video game character ever. True story.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vumQ-D06ppg

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Vulcans don't have blonde hair :rolleyes:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Was it ycs or byob that had a massive thread argujng which one was hotter

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Who cares who's hotter; red tunic takes half the damage of the blue tunic.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

symbolic posted:

do they have WiFi in space?

they have satellite

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

maybe i should have included a poll but too late now

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Zelda games are extremely easy (not including the first few) and therefore not fun. Play something that awesome people play like Dark Souls, Bloodborne or Candy Crush.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Gabriel Pope posted:

Yeah this is like the one legit weak point in LttP.
It's the only one you remember because you haven't played it in a while it had several moments like that. Literally everyone I know who played the game used a guide or help from a friends who used a guide. A guide literally came with the game. It had the classic kind of arbitrary backtracking in oldschool games that's dumb. Personally I consider that poor design and do not think "knowing where you're supposed to go and having to deal with the challenges there" is handholding but to each their own I guess.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Secks Cauldron posted:

My favorites are A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, and Ocarina of Time but you can do whatever the hell you want.

Link's Awakening on Gameboy was poo poo.

Does no one have any love for Zelda II The Adventure of Link?

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001

Isaac posted:

I got to gehnom and died and it broke my heart

I ascended a valkyrie once but it was such a freaking b. it's so much harder than vanilla.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Wind Waker still holds up really well

This, and also the pseudo-remake of LttP on 3DS is awesome and the furthest they've strayed from series norms, because 1. You can just buy all of the dungeon items early on, and 2. You can do the dungeons in any order. It owns especially if you like to whine about the Zelda formula.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bowlcutbarricade posted:

these better be guys

like it matters :swoon:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Crash_N_Burn posted:

as an adult its whatever, but I loved the nes games so much as a kid that hearing the original theme gives me those weird asmr chills

also, heres a cool cover of it by a band called rabbit joint

https://youtu.be/r16jHtdCuGc

Just wanna point out this has some pretty massive spoilers, so you probably shouldn't listen until after you've finished the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

yeah dont want to spoil the legend of zelda

• Locked thread