Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

Pitdragon posted:

If Ken Ham was smart he'd have a follower affect a rabid atheist persona on the internet for a while to gain notoriety then stage a debate with him where he makes the guy look like an idiot that's mad at god for his dog dying when he was 14 or whatever it is christians believe about atheists

the op was really loving bad so maybe this is a false flag thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Pitdragon posted:

If Ken Ham was smart he'd have a follower affect a rabid atheist persona on the internet for a while to gain notoriety then stage a debate with him where he makes the guy look like an idiot that's mad at god for his dog dying when he was 14 or whatever it is christians believe about atheists

They already made that movie. It had Hercules in it.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Infidel Castro posted:

They already made that movie. It had Hercules in it.

That was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. It didn't try to be funny, but it was.

buddha_beatnik
May 17, 2010
Oh, goodie... here's one of teh Hamster's latest "science" papers from his resident "creation scientists":

https://answersingenesis.org/the-flood/global/terrestrial-vertebrates-dissolved-near-flood-fountains/

quote:

The focus of this paper is the relationship between the Flood fountains, mass flows (represented by Upper Proterozoic mixtites) and phosphorites which are located stratigraphically above the Upper Proterozoic mixtites. Scientists with an old age worldview do not recognize the connection between Proterozoic rock-hosted ore deposits, Upper Proterozoic mixtites, and Cambrian phosphorites found in locations such as northwest Queensland. This is because their deep time perspective entails the belief that there are many millions of years of time gaps between the formation of each of these three sets of geological deposits.

Geochemistry has the potential to greatly refine and enhance young-earth creation models of geology and the Bible, and in the case of the paper under review, to model effects early in Noah’s Flood.

Ooooh, lotsa big sci-ency sounding words that his drooling minions will praise him for publishing... pass the love-offering plate...

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Otisburg posted:

how do you know. were you there? (literally a creationist retort they think is a mic-drop worthy fatality move)

http://www.icr.org/article/670/88/

quote:

Yet there is no scientific proof for the Big Bang theory.

I wonder what the explanation would be if someone told them that there is indeed scientific proof for the Big Bang model of the universe, the cosmic microwave background radiation. And considering it was discovered in 1964 these guys have no excuse for not addressing it and updating their idiotic argument.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

The Mentalizer posted:

I wonder what the explanation would be if someone told them that there is indeed scientific proof for the Big Bang model of the universe, the cosmic microwave background radiation. And considering it was discovered in 1964 these guys have no excuse for not addressing it and updating their idiotic argument.

The thing is you are trying to engage them with arguments that not only require sincere intellectual effort and rigor to follow and see through to the conclusion, and even attempting to do so will have you spending hours trying to give crash course high school level science into their stubborn, don't wanna hear it, head.

Like, mention the CMBR, first thing that will often come up is that they either don't know what that is, or play along like they do but have zero actual real understanding of what the observation and data and all the ancillary history that led up and has happened since then about it. It would be like trying to explain how an actual microwave cooks food to someone who believes device is electrocuting your burrito for 60 seconds because thats the closest analogy to fire they get. The details of the CMBR are just beyond their scope of education.

Then you run into people who just don't care and just refuse to engage with what the CMBR is or means in terms of its significance to the universe. Its a very no-win situation with these folks who will just shrug, hand-wave, or 'Nah, god put it there too, like the stars, silly science person' and you are sort of at a dead end. "CMBR" just doesn't ~mean~ anything. Just try explain the whole how we measure distance and time and all that. You'll never actually get to the REAL point.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 20, 2015

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I wish Ken Ham would debate with a Paatafarian instead.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Network Pesci posted:

Science! I keel you!

FTFY!!!!

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I was going to go once when my band was on tour but 30 dollars a head was wayyyyy too much. But, I have had friends' say they showed up expecting it to be like ten bucks and couldnt afford it. However, they spoke to the manager and told them they were students interested in the museum, they gave them the "family discount" so try that goons?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Berk Berkly posted:

The thing is you are trying to engage them with arguments that not only require sincere intellectual effort and rigor to follow and see through to the conclusion, and even attempting to do so will have you spending hours trying to give crash course high school level science into their stubborn, don't wanna hear it, head.

Like, mention the CMBR, first thing that will often come up is that they either don't know what that is, or play along like they do but have zero actual real understanding of what the observation and data and all the ancillary history that led up and has happened since then about it. It would be like trying to explain how an actual microwave cooks food to someone who believes device is electrocuting your burrito for 60 seconds because thats the closest analogy to fire they get. The details of the CMBR are just beyond their scope of education.

Then you run into people who just don't care and just refuse to engage with what the CMBR is or means in terms of its significance to the universe. Its a very no-win situation with these folks who will just shrug, hand-wave, or 'Nah, god put it there too, like the stars, silly science person' and you are sort of at a dead end. "CMBR" just doesn't ~mean~ anything. Just try explain the whole how we measure distance and time and all that. You'll never actually get to the REAL point.

Well yeah, I mean I know they're not gonna turn around and realize how wrong they are about everything, it's more that I'm curious to see what kind of bullshit they'd pull out (other than 'God did it') when challenged to back up a blatantly wrong statement like that one.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Mentalizer posted:

Well yeah, I mean I know they're not gonna turn around and realize how wrong they are about everything, it's more that I'm curious to see what kind of bullshit they'd pull out (other than 'God did it') when challenged to back up a blatantly wrong statement like that one.

They'll surprise you with some retarded theory you've never heard of, and you'll lose the argument because you don't have a comeback to their well-rehearsed polonium halo argument.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Ray Comfort is a much funnier crazy man. His peanut butter and banana arguments are air right.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I went to the creation museum. It was pretty bad. My high school science teacher used Ken Ham's Answers in Genesis for our classes a lot. That was also bad.

Two of my highschool and one of my middle school science teachers were openly fundamentalist Christians who would poo poo on evolution constantly in class even when it had nothing to do with what we were learning. They literally got into teaching science to kids to try and indoctrinate them into being against the theory of evoltuion

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I am glad he is building the ark to size.

When people actually see it, most will just realize that its a loving joke.

And its Kenneth Ham.

Sounds like a Harry Potter or Terry Pratchett name.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

happyhippy posted:

I am glad he is building the ark to size.

When people actually see it, most will just realize that its a loving joke.

And its Kenneth Ham.

Sounds like a Harry Potter or Terry Pratchett name.

If it w as Harry potter he'd be Kenman Hamtoast and he'd be in charge of the breakfast buffet

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Adam should just release a statement that says this:

"If this person wants to 'debate' a scientific position, then he should do some research, write a paper, and get it peer reviewed by actual academics to add to the real discussion instead of conning money out of people for his own ends."

Done and solved. Debates are for positions that can be won via argument. For science, you prove or you're pissing in the wind...right against the side of your stupid 'museum' and ignorant, backwards beliefs.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Is this the same Ark Park in Kentucky that was partially funded by taxpayer money or is this a different one?

Liquid Banjo
Dec 23, 2009

full of mama's homemade pemmican

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I went to the creation museum. It was pretty bad. My high school science teacher used Ken Ham's Answers in Genesis for our classes a lot. That was also bad.

What.. was your teacher's name

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Is this the same Ark Park in Kentucky that was partially funded by taxpayer money or is this a different one?

Last I heard it was going to be, but then Kentucky pulled the funding, and Ken Ham threw a fit about it.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Iron Crowned posted:

Last I heard it was going to be, but then Kentucky pulled the funding, and Ken Ham threw a fit about it.

Good.

I remember a thread about that Ark Park and someone posted a picture where is had the arks maximum occupancy listed. Hint, it was a lot less than 2 of every animal.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

The Mentalizer posted:

quote:

Yet there is no scientific proof for the Big Bang theory.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

[/quote]

Yeah, like this Cobe dude knows what he's talking about

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Good.

I remember a thread about that Ark Park and someone posted a picture where is had the arks maximum occupancy listed. Hint, it was a lot less than 2 of every animal.

Yeah, last I heard he was planning to sue about it. Of course with the election of Matt Bevin, I'm sure it'll be entirely funded by Kentucky taxes.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

if this is true why didnt god mention it in the bible

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Phoon posted:

if this is true why didnt god mention it in the bible

Probably the same reason he didn't mention Sputnik, Chou En-lai, or Bridge on the River Kwai: Satan.

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My high school science teacher used Ken Ham's Answers in Genesis for our classes a lot.

Is that even legal? God bless America!

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Well that's a nice chart and all, but was this Cobe fellow there when the earth came into existence? Does he know anyone who was there? Does he know anyone who has all the information?

You know who does have all the information? That's right buddy, God does! Maybe you should spend a little more time in church and a little less time reading science charts.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
All the people
So many people
They all go hand in hand