Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

VIsion Statement: to have spirited discussion about all forms of mass transit and to reach a group consensus on the most well organized and efficient transit system worldwide.

relevance: train stations are p cyberpunk and pretty much every train station is run mostly by computers today. they're p cool

I'd like to open the floor with the following question: why doesn't California have some kind of pan-Californian high speed monorail or w/e

also post pictures of trains and trainstations and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
didnt read gas probably

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
bump

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

:gizz:

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
cool trains

cool trains

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 15, 2017

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Grandmaster.flv posted:

I'd like to open the floor with the following question: why doesn't California have some kind of pan-Californian high speed monorail or w/e

I've always heard the distances are too far to be immediately viable. also not a lot of people really going to San Diego from LA

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Hmm well I rode a train from union station LA to San Diego yesterday. It was good. But they don't really care about passengers because all the seats in the car were facing backwards! Like, I see the foot pedal to rotate the seat around but I just dealt with it. Still, Japan superiority because those train folks at least rotate the seats around when it's time to disembark the opposite direction.

Also, why is the Amtrak so huge...just transporting people. Gimme a break!!

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
rp a five figgy fucktard itt

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

I've always heard the distances are too far to be immediately viable. also not a lot of people really going to San Diego from LA

paris - bordeaux is 360 miles
paris has 10.5 million people, bordeaux has 700,000 people

the paris-bordeaux TGV takes 3 hours and costs ~40€ if you book in advance

SD-LA is 380 miles, 18/8 million people on each end, and the train ride is 11 hours, and 50$

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
my job is in sales, but i'm trans-IT

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
The trains to Auschwitz

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i ride a bicycle to work

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

reporting for duty

TED BUNNDY
May 30, 2009

SO HUNGRY
Pork Pro

Grandmaster.flv posted:

also post pictures of trains and trainstations and poo poo

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
https://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/wbOIRKz.gif&v=iGxqDW2F3L4

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
trains in my city are okay i guess (actually they've hosed up bigtime like twice this week, but other than that)

but the mobile app thing is some useless xamarin.forms garbage that recreates their existing website and sms alerts service and does nothing actually useful

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?

my stepdads beer posted:

i ride a bicycle to work

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

a safe space for Transit yosposters.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I am in Japan now and you can get a Japan Rail Pass as a Baka gaijin that gives you unlimited rides on everything and you just wave it at a station agent and get on a Shinkansen going anywhere you want.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
thread not computer related

gas

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Symbolic Butt posted:

thread not computer related

gas

trains and computers are related beavuse they both appeal to people with little to no social skills.

also I guess some trains use computers to run? idk maybe someone can talk about that.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
computers have buses

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

vodkat posted:

trains and computers are related beavuse they both appeal to people with little to no social skills.

also I guess some trains use computers to run? idk maybe someone can talk about that.

ok I'm fine with this

ungas

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sham bam bamina! posted:

my job is in sales, but i'm trans-IT

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

mass transit isn't unpopular because it's bad, it's unpopular because of classism, discuss

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Mass transit is popular in places that actually have it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mass transit is mostly the pike and lovely traffic jams

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

there's all sorts of plans and talks out there for expansion and extension of various parts of the MBTA and at the rate this poo poo goes i'm gonna be in my goddamn fifties before any of it comes close to completion, and even then half of it will be cancelled and the remaining half will be half-assed (bus rapid transit!!! *farts*)

i wish to hell the subway lines would extend out to 128, getting into boston from the suburbs is a real pain in the rear end

computers: i read once that some of the red line cars used DEC systems for their signage?? that must be fun to maintain

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

when my car broke down my eu coworker asked if i took the train in and i laughed in a way that was likely impolite afterwards explaining that there were no trains and the bus would take three hours provided it did not break down

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

last year my us coworker decided to start riding his bike in and he was hit by a car the very first day

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cat Face Joe posted:

when my car broke down my eu coworker asked if i took the train in and i laughed in a way that was likely impolite afterwards explaining that there were no trains and the bus would take three hours provided it did not break down

Cat Face Joe posted:

last year my us coworker decided to start riding his bike in and he was hit by a car the very first day

close thread

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

it's like traaaiiiiaaaaaains

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

vodkat posted:

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

SO DEMANDING posted:

i wish to hell the subway lines would extend out to 128, getting into boston from the suburbs is a real pain in the rear end

this was an actual real plan in 1970. like we had funding and land use permits and everything we needed. all four lines terminals were going to kiss 128. including the blue line, which would've gone all the way to Salem.

I had a loving stroke reading about it. it got shut down by nimbys of course. also red line was going to terminate at Arlington center but lol black people so that's why it's ends in the middle of nowhere in alewife

also in 1970s it would've only cost like 14 million versus what like 32 billion now? that's two instagrams

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only good types of city mass transit are elevated rail and subway.

also lol @ the french train example. does it stop every 15 miles like American trains?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

bicycles do not belong on the road.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Shaggar posted:

shaggar this is a safe space to discuss mixed mode transportation. please leave before I call security

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
bicycles are not a mode of transportation. they're a hobby.

also lmao the downeaster is even worse than I thought. its an average of 12 miles between stops. 145miles takes 3.5 hours.

that's why americans hate trains. they're garbage if you want to actually connect places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Shaggar posted:

he was crossing the street on the sidewalk

• Locked thread