Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

which one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if bars and clubs cant stay open late enough on friday/saturday nights so you can just catch the train the next morning

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

mishaq posted:

lol if bars and clubs cant stay open late enough on friday/saturday nights so you can just catch the train the next morning

always a pro move

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

A/C over the weekend for the past 2 months or so hasn't gone past jay st in brooklyn or w 4 in manhattan, making it a huge pain in the rear end if you needed to be at fulton/chambers st (in manhattan) like i did

idk if it affected other stations on the same line too, i just know it was a huge pain in the rear end while hungover at 7 am particularly because i'd forgotten alternate routes and the suggested one took me past wjere i needed to go and then back again (lol 5 transfers)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

oh man, I used to live at utica, that A running on the F line was either bullshit or a godsend depending on where I was at the time. where are you hungover at 7 am by Fulton tho????

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

theflyingexecutive posted:

oh man, I used to live at utica, that A running on the F line was either bullshit or a godsend depending on where I was at the time. where are you hungover at 7 am by Fulton tho????

yeah its garbage because i actually live off the G (:smithicide:) so to transfer there i have to go past jay st anyway. but oh no reason really its just work ruining my weekends

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
the weird thing about chicago having contactless is that the company that does it somehow managed to do a thing in their mobile app that lets you purchase and use commuter rail tickets from the app.

going to laugh when some suburbanite gets in a fight with a ticket checker when they try to smugly purchase a rail ticket on the train they're on to evade the $3 'didn't buy a ticket at the station' surcharge and it doesn't work because Ogilvie/Union have lovely reception.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i hadnt used bart during rush hour until recently and boy is that a different world

montgomery feels a bit like the victoria station of the pacific, with less reliable escalators

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

angry_keebler posted:

societies in the endstage of decline are too decadent to maintain their existing infrastructure, let alone carry out large scale civil engineering projects

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...

Tatsujin posted:

the weird thing about chicago having contactless is that the company that does it somehow managed to do a thing in their mobile app that lets you purchase and use commuter rail tickets from the app.

going to laugh when some suburbanite gets in a fight with a ticket checker when they try to smugly purchase a rail ticket on the train they're on to evade the $3 'didn't buy a ticket at the station' surcharge and it doesn't work because Ogilvie/Union have lovely reception.

This actually works pretty well, but yeah you gotta make sure to buy it when you have a signal.
It's just amazing that in 2015 metra finally has an option that doesn't require punching a hole in a piece of paper like it's 1895.

Looking forward to a future version of the app that will replace a separate ventra card.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i took the sub way to the symphony down town the other day. if any stalkers are reading this, yes, i also bragged about it in the lan thread. gently caress off

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
oh yea - i paid $100/ticket and brought a date. piss off fuckfags.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
wow that's an expensive subway

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

san diego has a surprisingly competent bus/streetcar system for a southern california city, only $2.25 to the airport

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

i like how chicago will charge you extra if and only if you are leaving O'Hare on the Blue line, or if you're going to/from the bears game from the commuter rail station

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

qirex posted:

san diego has a surprisingly competent bus/streetcar system for a southern california city, only $2.25 to the airport

their awful nimbys/olds are desperately trying to screw that up. their new (heavily nimby influenced) long term transit plan is perty bad

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Tatsujin posted:

i like how chicago will charge you extra if and only if you are leaving O'Hare on the Blue line, or if you're going to/from the bears game from the commuter rail station

i like the 500 person deep lines for the 4 ticket machines or whatever at ohare

at least create some express machines that only sell a single use one way ticket or something so people can get the gently caress out of there

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Tatsujin posted:

BART does the same thing; going to/from SFO is $4.15 more than the next station, millbrae

However there's a separate free bus from millbrae for airport employees so it's only affecting tourists and freq flyers :woop:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Tatsujin posted:

a lot of systems seem to do this. like the beijing subway is (was? i havent been there in a while) a flat 2 rmb fare except it's 7 rmb if you go to the airport. i've seen similar things in other places too

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

24 hour subway systems are actually rare though. new york's is the only one i;ve personally seen except for tokyo on new years eve. tokyo doesn't usually run 24h, neither did london or madrid or beijing or hong kong or seoul or singapore or any others i've been to

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

24 hour subway systems are actually rare though. new york's is the only one i;ve personally seen except for tokyo on new years eve. tokyo doesn't usually run 24h, neither did london or madrid or beijing or hong kong or seoul or singapore or any others i've been to

24 hour subway systems are pointless for most cities

if you live in a non-poo poo city bars can stay open until 4-5 AM so your drunk rear end can just catch the morning train

if for whatever reason you HAVE to get home in a one-off incident between 1-5 AM just take a cab

if youre regularly needing public transportation in the middle of the night your life probably sucks under the boot of capitalism and suicide is the only escape

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

yeah seriously if the train headway is going to be more than 30 min at 3 AM why even run a loving train then

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
*metro announcement jingle plays over station PA* the next train to Downtown is arriving in FOUR_HOURS_37_MINUTES

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe posted:

*metro announcement jingle plays over station PA* the next train to Downtown is arriving in FOUR_HOURS_37_MINUTES

tfw sncf cancels the last two suburban trains and youre stuck at gare du nord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIMT7JImkHc

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

one of the nice things about monthly rail pass is when ur downtown going home and you already went through the turnstile before figuring out that train is hosed you can be like later suckas

i could check citymapper if i wasnt a lazy poo poo

also apparently its common practice for homeless people to ask passholders to rescan their transit cards on the bus for them because the pass 'resets' 15 minutes after you use it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

night owl service on weekends is Good
last train at 11:40pm on friday night like a lot of US systems is Bad

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cygni posted:

night owl service on weekends is Good
last train at 11:40pm on friday night like a lot of US systems is Bad

i agree, last train should be 12:30-1 if you're not gonna do night service, gets the early birds home and gets the late night partiers out to their destinations

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

funy commuter

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

riding the 3am owl bus home after a night out at a club was some pro-tier people watching

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

qirex posted:

riding the 3am owl bus home after a night out at a club was some pro-tier people watching

it owns a lot except for the sad tired people just getting off work

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yard salad posted:

funy commuter

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

theflyingexecutive posted:

it owns a lot except for the sad tired people just getting off work

this is me and everybody in my heavily Hispanic neighborhood. Night owl T service on every line except the Blue line is full of drunk college idiots. Blue line to East Boston is like 95% Hispanic men looking exhausted because we all just worked at a bar or restaurant that night

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Grandmaster.flv posted:

this is me and everybody in my heavily Hispanic neighborhood. Night owl T service on every line except the Blue line is full of drunk college idiots. Blue line to East Boston is like 95% Hispanic men looking exhausted because we all just worked at a bar or restaurant that night

you're a hispanic muslim who works in bar?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

yeah its not like the people running those bars need to go home, they live in the bar, they all have sleeping bags

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 11, 2015

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

infrastructure should work the way I WANT IT and not how other people (probably poor??) need to

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Share Bear posted:

yeah its not like the people running those bars need to go home, they live in the bar, they all have sleeping bags

if the bars in your city that doesn't suck close at 4-5 AM, you aren't leaving until 6 AM minimum and you can catch a morning train just fine?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

if the bars in your city that doesn't suck close at 4-5 AM, you aren't leaving until 6 AM minimum and you can catch a morning train just fine?

how do the bar employees get to and from the bar?

if public transit closes at 1am, but the bar closes at 4am, how the gently caress is the bar back gonna get there to clean before the morning opening?

dcseankun
Jun 17, 2005

suck my diiiiick, i'm a catshaaark!!!
How D.C. spent $200 million over a decade on a streetcar you still can’t ride

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...60446&tid=ss_tw

https://twitter.com/IsStreetcarOpen

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

mishaq posted:

what if the bar is open for many hours and my shift ends at 2am instead of midnight, because maybe it's a slow night or the manager feels like tending bar or whatever

what if i cannot afford a taxi due to the notoriously low wages of anyone involved in any food service profession

what if the entire infrastructure was made such that it can accomodate a life which may not be the standard 9 to 5, and can also accomodate others who rely on my services

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you're a hispanic muslim who works in bar?

Malaysian. which is why living in a Hispanic neighborhood is hilarious because everybody thinks I'm the other kind of brown.

also I loving hate uber but east Boston isn't bike accessible except through a truck road and crackhead salvage yard hotspot late at night so I have to cab it home. sucks but I make enough money that a 13 dollar cab ride isn't the worst.

late night service owns because I can bike to the train, take it over the water and bike home in peace.

in related news loving banner week for the MBTA. two jumpers, another guy pinned under a train, deadman switch on a train disabled, and the new extension plan is dead in the water.

what poo poo.

• Locked thread