Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

dcseankun posted:

How D.C. spent $200 million over a decade on a streetcar you still can’t ride

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...60446&tid=ss_tw

https://twitter.com/IsStreetcarOpen

i mean, $200m is still pretty cheap for a transportation project. especially in loving DC where I can't even fathom how lovely the politics game must be.

but yeah streetcars without dedicated lanes are pretty dumb as actual transportation, even if the property value/tax boost is nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cygni posted:

i mean, $200m is still pretty cheap for a transportation project. especially in loving DC where I can't even fathom how lovely the politics game must be.

they haven't actually built the project yet. they built a barn and a test track for $200M.

also it's a streetcar. so it serves no purpose whatsoever. with $200M they could have set up a really nice bus line that would actually have been faster and more comfortable.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Grandmaster.flv posted:

in related news loving banner week for the MBTA. two jumpers, another guy pinned under a train, deadman switch on a train disabled, and the new extension plan is dead in the water.

hmmm. looks like some serious issues. better cut funding.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Malaysian. which is why living in a Hispanic neighborhood is hilarious because everybody thinks I'm the other kind of brown.

but you're a muslim who works in a bar?

that seems really uncomfortable (for you)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cygni posted:

but yeah streetcars without dedicated lanes are pretty dumb as actual transportation, even if the property value/tax boost is nice

dc streetcar is actually even dumber than regular streetcars. normal streetcars suck up a lot of street space because they run in the center of the street and you have to space for pedestrians to get on and off the streetcar

dc didn't want to do that, so they made the streetcars run along the outside edge of the road, like a bus. unlike a bus, they're on rails. so they can't swerve to dodge badly parked cars or avoid breaking off mirrors.

someone fucks up their street parking and your streetcar system stops dead until it's towed lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
streetcars are completely retarded

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just do elevated rail or subway. if you don't have the money for it your city isn't big enough to need it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
there is also option 3: dedicated busways. costs a little less than elevated rail, but delivers the same performance

seems to work good in singapore.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they haven't actually built the project yet. they built a barn and a test track for $200M.

also it's a streetcar. so it serves no purpose whatsoever. with $200M they could have set up a really nice bus line that would actually have been faster and more comfortable.

the track is done, its just short. at like $80m a mile its not a great deal, but its not really that crazy. LA's crenshaw light rail project is over $250 million a mile. charlottes Lynx streetcar extension (with no car barn) is like $60m a mile.

but i agree w/ you, streetcars without dedicated lanes arent really transit and a bus would probably work better for, you know, moving people.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cygni posted:

the track is done, its just short. at like $80m a mile its not a great deal, but its not really that crazy. LA's crenshaw light rail project is over $250 million a mile.

los angeles is mostly dedicated right of way, so they are actually building stuff. that's why it costs 250 million a mile. (and when it's done, it might actually be faster than just walking to your destination.)

dc is a car barn and a test track. and the test track is just rail embedded into existing streets. and if it is ever finished, it will still be useless because it will manage to be slower than a bus while also much more expensive to maintain.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

but you're a muslim who works in a bar?

that seems really uncomfortable (for you)

what's uncomfortable? do you get weirded out eating at falafel joints?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

los angeles is mostly dedicated right of way, so they are actually building stuff. that's why it costs 250 million a mile. (and when it's done, it might actually be faster than just walking to your destination.)

trust me i know, i was just comparing costs geeze gosh. like i said, its on the high end of streetcar prices in the states, but its not that absurd. most are around $60m a mile. streetcars are mostly for raising property values/taxes since developers love to come in and build generic mixed use lofts near them and rent them form $3k a month since they are 'near transit'

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Grandmaster.flv posted:

what's uncomfortable? do you get weirded out eating at falafel joints?

no, but my religion does not prohibit the consumption of fried chickpeas

it's like a jewish butcher who specializes in pork. i guess it could happen but it is weird

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

funny that you're playing analogy police in here after this gem

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

are you also cool with human trafficking?

i mean, if i hadn't stolen that woman's passport and pimped her out in san francisco, she'd still be back in odessa doing tricks, right?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's like a jewish butcher who specializes in pork. i guess it could happen but it is weird

great well I like making money while I'm in school and just because my religion says not to drink doesn't mean other people can't.

thanks and God bless/allahu ackbar

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

at the date posted:

funny that you're playing analogy police in here after this gem

i'm pretty comfortable with the human trafficking analogy. you're totally cool with exploiting workers because otherwise they would be left in calcutta. and that's bullshit.

why the gently caress can't we talk about, you know, easing immigration policy in a way that doesn't gently caress over workers and line the pockets of a narrow group of people?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

quick somebody ask me how I reconcile brunt queer with being Muslim because those things are also incompatible (they're not)

SO DEMANDING posted:

hmmm. looks like some serious issues. better cut funding.

yeah our governor is doing nothing about it and is making us unfit for the winter

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there is also option 3: dedicated busways. costs a little less than elevated rail, but delivers the same performance

seems to work good in singapore.

Bus rapid transit is almost always a better idea than streetcars. You can take advantage of some existing infrastructure and the train-like stations and service make the white flighters feel better. The buses can also drive around parked cars

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

yard salad posted:

The parked cars can also be rapidly ticketed and towed for operating in the bus lane or bus zone

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

yard salad posted:

Bus rapid transit is almost always a better idea than streetcars. You can take advantage of some existing infrastructure and the train-like stations and service make the white flighters feel better. The buses can also drive around parked cars

yeah in an ideal world BRT has dedicated lanes so you get the look of a train but the savings of a bus. there's less overhead when it's just pavement

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how do the bar employees get to and from the bar?

if public transit closes at 1am, but the bar closes at 4am, how the gently caress is the bar back gonna get there to clean before the morning opening?

you start your shift before public transit closes

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the dc streetcar is great because for years only the rail infrastructure was paid for without funding for the overhead power lines

also it stops well before union station so you still have to walk quite a distance

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

http://imgur.com/vKpoxMh

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Well, we're gonna need SOMEWHERE to hold the Unreal Tournament.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Imgur > Things Fitting Perfectly Into Other Things

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the downside of BRT in the states is that white/rich people hate buses, especially in some cities where they see buses as devices for subhuman pig people

my fav was looking through the public polling numbers for LA's measure R years ago and even with identical transit times, identical estimated capacity, identical headways etc... people were like 50% more likely to say they would ride something if it was labeled as a train instead of a bus, and like 80% more likely to say they wanted to live near it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cygni posted:

the downside of BRT in the states is that white/rich people hate buses, especially in some cities where they see buses as devices for subhuman pig people

my fav was looking through the public polling numbers for LA's measure R years ago and even with identical transit times, identical estimated capacity, identical headways etc... people were like 50% more likely to say they would ride something if it was labeled as a train instead of a bus, and like 80% more likely to say they wanted to live near it

buses are stigmatized because they're slow and unreliable.

a real BRT system, with dedicated busways that are not mixed with traffic, is just as fast as a subway. the stigma disappears pretty much overnight

(new york style "brt," with a dedicated lane that's full of cabs and assholes, is just a regular bus that goes 20% faster. dedicated lane != dedicated right-of-way. as with a regular bus, only people with no other choice will ride them)

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Cygni posted:

americans think that mass transit is a communist handout to the underclass designed to get people hooked on government assistance. and yet they're somehow doing the Lord's work by driving on federally funded highways in their private vehicle (likely made by a company bailed out with federal money)

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a real BRT system, with dedicated busways that are not mixed with traffic, is just as fast as a subway. the stigma disappears pretty much overnight

i hope you're right. my midwestern city is adding one soon and i hope it works out

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cygni posted:

that's because they are

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Cygni posted:

Just spitballing here, but maybe the reason the results were skewed was not the bigotry of those surveyed but (A) that trains are faster and more reliable than buses in every city on the planet, and (B) the people surveyed rightly paid no heed to projected figures about fantasy transit systems.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

that's because they are

lol shagger!!!!!!!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

at the date posted:

Just spitballing here, but maybe the reason the results were skewed was not the bigotry of those surveyed but (A) that trains are faster and more reliable than buses in every city on the planet, and (B) the people surveyed rightly paid no heed to projected figures about fantasy transit systems.

lol nah

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

subway is seriously imba in Cities:Skylines

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

yard salad posted:

i hope you're right. my midwestern city is adding one soon and i hope it works out

a real brt system costs 80% as much as an actual train system. go figure that they don't get built very often. your midwestern city is almost certainly going to go for the new-york-style brt where it's not any kind of "rapid," it's just lines painted on the street.

extra crapitude points: don't use a proof of fare system, so that you can spend 3 minutes waiting for people to pay every single time the bus stop

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

at the date posted:

right

nobody would expect a brt to be good or fast because they have no experience with buses on dedicated rights of way.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

ometro posted:

http://www.ometro.com/index.php/announcements/bus-rapid-transit/

BRT will offer upgraded service with upscale passenger amenities including eight modern, uniquely branded vehicles and rail-like stations. It provides faster service with limited stops and includes infrastructure investments such as semi-exclusive guideway, queue jumps, level boarding, and signal prioritization to improve speed and reliability.

Omaha’s first BRT system is being developed for Dodge Street along an eight mile corridor connecting downtown and the Westroads Mall. The eastbound BRT between 31st Street and 10th Street will operate in a transit-only contraflow lane along Dodge. The BRT will have 25 to 27 stations with upgraded common amenities such as near-level boarding, covered waiting areas, real time arrival displays, pre-boarding fare payment equipment, bicycle parking, and landscaping.

sounds like we'll get pre-boarding fare payment but a kind of half-assed dedicated right of way

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

yard salad posted:

sounds like we'll get pre-boarding fare payment but a kind of half-assed dedicated right of way

it's mixed with traffic, so it will still be hilariously unreliable like a bus.

just a 20% faster bus

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the only actual BRT is the tunnel in Seattle, cross traffic and its associated gridlock, rando pedestrians, people driving in the bus lane even though it's illegal, etc will keep it at slightly faster bus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

if enough people take the bus there are less cars so there's less traffic busses would need to deal with :xd:

• Locked thread