Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Like many people who have successfully had sex, I've procreated. My son is currently 11 months old, has eight teeth and an appetite. We've had him on solid mushy foods since he was four months old and I'm in need of recommendations and ideas as what he gets fed is kinda getting repetitious and boring.

He gets lots of fruit, typically bananas, melon, apples, pears and berries. Pasta with various pestos, generally spinach and kale with lentils added into the puree. Various Daals and vegetable stews. Hummus and other puree type dip things. The occasional meat stew. Tiny PB & J's. He seems to be fond of garlic so I don't hold back in dishes that use it, but I do keep the spices that bring heat down from adult versions. And tone acid down too. He does eat well but I want to expand what he gets. But I do feel limited by him not having chewing teeth, just the biting slicing ones. Means everything is overcooked so he can happily gum it. The only food he's rejected has been kiwi, which he still ate just with a very sour perplexed face. He's also practically of the age where anything goes, no restrictions.

So goon parents, any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Blue cheese...

Seriously

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
That's a beautiful idea.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Have you tried italian wedding soup? If you use meatballs made of ground chicken like m'lady does, those are very good to feed the little guy, you just might have to break them up a bit. Great stuff. Also very healthy since a lot of spinach and onion and such get cooked in, and you already said he likes garlic...

Definitely worth a try.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My parents swear I lived on fruit wrinkles for two years from the ages of 1 to 3. I was super picky. But now I make up for it by eating anything that doesn't run away fast enough, smell like an open sewer, or are carrots.

Still can't do carrots. ANYHOO, you sound like you're on a great track, Cavenagh. Get steak and kidney pie in that kid.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 21, 2015

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
My parents took whatever they were currently eating, or had eaten the night before, threw it in a blender with a little water (if needed) and pureed it into mush to shove into my and my brothers' fat baby faces. It offered a varied diet and reasonably good nutrition.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Carrot puree looks the same coming out as it does going in. But he may well get steak & kidney pie instead of birthday cake.

Wedding soup is now on his menu.

I want to not puree too many things, as stuff he can pick up is good for his dexterity. Also I'm weirdly squeamish about pureeing meat things. I have no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Cavenagh posted:

Carrot puree looks the same coming out as it does going in. But he may well get steak & kidney pie instead of birthday cake.

Wedding soup is now on his menu.

I want to not puree too many things, as stuff he can pick up is good for his dexterity. Also I'm weirdly squeamish about pureeing meat things. I have no idea why.

Probably because pureed meat is an affront to the Lord.

If you want something he can handle (ie- throw on floors/walls/you), just don't add as much water and smear it on bread/make meatball things. I would think babies could eat meat/food balls with fairly little assistance.

• Locked thread