Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Makes Windows 98 mod and permaban him. Tia

Conversely make me mod and I'll suggest one particular permaban; I won't say who though. It'll benefit GBS in any case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax
I like to touch butts :downs:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think that a mod should ban blatant rule breakers, and moderate

code:
to make (something) less harsh, strong, or severe or to become less harsh, strong, or severe (merriam webster)

strained interposter relations. It's like what police should do. Police shouldn't be a HAMMER or SWORD, they should be a part of the community and not preside as some distant, aloof being.

Clearly the issue arises when we say "blatant rule breakers". As we all know, no discussion lacks complexity in perspectives, that's kind of a given.

I think that the IK system should be brought (back) to gbs. Rotating the position of referee is a way to keep everyone from feeling disenfranchised. Fyad's method of choosing an IK is a good one, but it relies on a "homogeneous" conception of "what should be". It's kind of like how any democracy gets started. A bunch of people have the same ideas, and feel comfortable sharing power and security with others in that group.

The alternative is authoritarian rule. I find lowtax to be a generally wise and fair leader, with the well-being of his people always his goal, similarly with gnarlyhotep, to an extent. The problem is that lowtax and others cannot be everywhere, and he has numerous other responsibilities than moderating cat fights between nerds on the internet. A dictatorship lies within the heart of its dictator, and having a lovely dictator is bad. Read the word "dictator" not as coming from the political buzzword that "dictatorship" has become, but rather coming from "dictate".

code:
to say or state (something) with authority or power (Merriam Webster)

The dictator dictates from the heart. The condition of the dictatorship relies on that. I believe that, because of lowtax's disinterest in becoming and taking advantage of a "celebrity" status, or "beloved leader", or whatever rear end in a top hat totalitarian leaders have had people brainwashed into calling them, it means that he is the right choice for power. "The people who seek power are those who deserve it least".

I trust both models of authoritarianism and democracy to decay into lovely corrupt shells of what they were designed as, but as long as we keep trying to fight that decayed power structure, we have a chance to get back to the beginning, where we can try again. Because what is life but persistence incarnate?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I would probably never probate or ban anybody except for personal, petty bullshit.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Poetic Justice posted:

My qualifications are these:
-I've seen every rerun of Seinfield
-I was interested in psychology in high school and for about a year after (im 53)
-Im handsome and also play guitar
- Got into therapy
- Started taking antidepressants
- Came out as transgender
- Added another partner to my poly relationship
- Began paying rent at my parents' house using income from my cam sessions
- Preparing to take my driving test (I'm 53)

Why aren't you an admin yet

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

We should probably just let fyad mod gbs, all subforums, and also put them in charge of all administrative and business decisions. This is a good decision, that can only possibly have positive consequences.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

CharlestonJew posted:

Why aren't you an admin yet

Hes not a pedphile

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant for you. Hate. Hate.

Rentafence
Dec 4, 2011
one time when I was 12 my dad asked me to take the garbage out and I did so I would make a very good mod thank you ok bye

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

code:
to make (something) less harsh, strong, or severe or to become less harsh, strong, or severe (merriam webster)

strained interposter relations. It's like what police should do. Police shouldn't be a HAMMER or SWORD, they should be a part of the community and not preside as some distant, aloof being.

Clearly the issue arises when we say "blatant rule breakers". As we all know, no discussion lacks complexity in perspectives, that's kind of a given.

I think that the IK system should be brought (back) to gbs. Rotating the position of referee is a way to keep everyone from feeling disenfranchised. Fyad's method of choosing an IK is a good one, but it relies on a "homogeneous" conception of "what should be". It's kind of like how any democracy gets started. A bunch of people have the same ideas, and feel comfortable sharing power and security with others in that group.

The alternative is authoritarian rule. I find lowtax to be a generally wise and fair leader, with the well-being of his people always his goal, similarly with gnarlyhotep, to an extent. The problem is that lowtax and others cannot be everywhere, and he has numerous other responsibilities than moderating cat fights between nerds on the internet. A dictatorship lies within the heart of its dictator, and having a lovely dictator is bad. Read the word "dictator" not as coming from the political buzzword that "dictatorship" has become, but rather coming from "dictate".

code:

The dictator dictates from the heart. The condition of the dictatorship relies on that. I believe that, because of lowtax's disinterest in becoming and taking advantage of a "celebrity" status, or "beloved leader", or whatever rear end in a top hat totalitarian leaders have had people brainwashed into calling them, it means that he is the right choice for power. "The people who seek power are those who deserve it least".

I trust both models of authoritarianism and democracy to decay into lovely corrupt shells of what they were designed as, but as long as we keep trying to fight that decayed power structure, we have a chance to get back to the beginning, where we can try again. Because what is life but persistence incarnate?

same

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

For real though, I'm an organisational psychologist, am familiar with the literature on online community management (for branded and insight communities), and my side gig involves supporting the communication needs of the intellectually disabled and autistic. I got mad qualifications and wouldn't mind the poo poo from below, but I've got a feeling things are toxic at the top and I have no desire to deal with that.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

I've been here since that fateful Halloween of time begone; I have fought the DGSW on the arch of the topaz bridge and swam laps in molten diamond pits.
I've traveled through tunnels of prismatic crystal and dueled underground with arcane energies given form.

Who slew the phantasmal extradimensional armies of invaders on open plain with nothing more then a power word?
Who plucked the ruby eye from the necro levitation? And who drank the draught of knowledge and power?

Once i'm installed in power I will meld myself directly into the lay lines that run through this forum and use that energy to conjure a void globe around the forums and transport us all into a higher plane of existence. Who's better suited to modding GBS then I, I ask you?

Digital Fingers fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 20, 2015

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Digital Fingers posted:

I've been here since that fateful Halloween of time begone; I have fought the DGSW on the arch of the topaz bridge and swam laps in molten diamond pits.
I've traveled through tunnels of prismatic crystal and dueled underground with arcane energies given form.

Who slew the phantasmal extradimensional armies of invaders on open plain with nothing more then a power word?
Who plucked the ruby eye from the necro levitation? And who drank the draught of knowledge and power?

Once i'm installed in power I will meld myself directly into the lay lines that ruin through this forum and use that energy to conjure a void globe around the forums and transport us all into a higher plane of existence. Who's better suited to modding GBS then I, I ask you?

They're called ley lines dumbass.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

e:

SHISHKABOB posted:

SHISHKABOB posted:

SHISHKABOB posted:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah, that's what I said.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

*In thick boston accent* "There called leylines yeah' dumbass" *everyone starts whooping*
---------
*A big dumb dork pushes a pair of taped up dork glasses up his nose* Actually, upon father investigation I think you'll find that the lines in question are called "LEY" lines and not "LAY" lines *Starts snorting uncontrollably with laughter until he passes out**
--------
*Little faggy elf man appears from the edge of his forest kingdom* "Harken bold humans but please do not butcher my ancient and noble langague" *Merges back into forest while fist pumping over his sick burn/correction*

pick one then think about what you did and feel bad.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Digital Fingers posted:

*In thick boston accent* "There called leylines yeah' dumbass" *everyone starts whooping*
---------
*A big dumb dork pushes a pair of taped up dork glasses up his nose* Actually, upon father investigation I think you'll find that the lines in question are called "LEY" lines and not "LAY" lines *Starts snorting uncontrollably with laughter until he passes out**
--------
*Little faggy elf man appears from the edge of his forest kingdom* "Harken bold humans but please do not butcher my ancient and noble langague" *Merges back into forest while fist pumping over his sick burn/correction*

pick one then think about what you did and feel bad.

stfu

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

code:

code:

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
:yikes:

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I don't really want to be mod but even less than that do I want GBS full of unfunny garbage also I read the Bible

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Chinatown posted:

its still gone

give me mod now

I want Chinatown to mod so he can "MH370 Ban" people. That way they can only post again after the plane is found.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
im sorry that your a really bad poster, i know its not your fault

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think GBS should have several in-house mods, and a greater number of them than in other forums. I think Gnarly has provided a good example of the approach to use, and having another three or so people following the same kind of attitude would be helpful. The number and frequency of posts in GBS seems like it would make it a pretty tedious chore if you didn't have enough people dealing with it, and having something like a coalition of mods that communicate with each other seems like it would make it more manageable and provide more uniform enforcement of rules and such.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
destroy all mods, you have nothing to lose but your probates

anarchy in the rowdy trout

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

destroy all mods, you have nothing to lose but your probates

anarchy in the rowdy trout

Freedom depends on limits and structure.

There's a reason real sports are more fun than calvinball

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Freedom depends on limits and structure.

There's a reason real sports are more fun than calvinball

Sounds like you haven't been playing Calvin Ball properly

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
As an adult, I don't really understand why I would let some 20 something year old tell me what how?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm an incredibly dysfunctional manchild who can barely function on a day-to-day basis when it comes to basic poo poo like dressing, feeding, and bathing myself.

I promise to rule with an iron fist. When I'm not fisting myself with it.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm an incredibly dysfunctional manchild who can barely function on a day-to-day basis when it comes to basic poo poo like dressing, feeding, and bathing myself.

I promise to rule with an iron fist. When I'm not fisting myself with it.

if you become mod i will verbally tongue your banhole every day

edit: :toxx:

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Windows 98 posted:

Sounds like you haven't been playing Calvin Ball properly

:weedass:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Commie NedFlanders posted:

I don't really want to be mod but even less than that do I want GBS full of unfunny garbage also I read the Bible

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think GBS should have several in-house mods, and a greater number of them than in other forums. I think Gnarly has provided a good example of the approach to use, and having another three or so people following the same kind of attitude would be helpful. The number and frequency of posts in GBS seems like it would make it a pretty tedious chore if you didn't have enough people dealing with it, and having something like a coalition of mods that communicate with each other seems like it would make it more manageable and provide more uniform enforcement of rules and such.

Dream team of mods: commie ned flandre, dgsw, applewhite, gnarly, and everdraed.

Maybr moon Atari. I dont actually know who he is but if he really is an expert on autism he would be a valuable part of the deam

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 20, 2015

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i dont think dgsw would be a good mod but i like him as a poster

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
who wants to get doxxed? sign up to get doxxed and lose your irl job

yeah totally worth it. at least i don't have any hot sisters.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Broenheim posted:

i dont think dgsw would be a good mod but i like him as a poster

I think he has a good nose for dumbshittery snd that if given an alt account he would be able to gas with great precision

Every thread hes ever shitted on has deserved it

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

DGSW would be a great mod

e: idiots

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

I only want to read the reports.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

the job of a mod is not to be funny

the job of dad gay is to be funny

conflict? yes

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

ScrotoTurboSperg posted:

if you become mod i will verbally tongue your banhole every day

edit: :toxx:

You will be the first of my paramilitary posters.

My Brownnoses, if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Kuato posted:

Makes Windows 98 mod and permaban him. Tia

Conversely make me mod and I'll suggest one particular permaban; I won't say who though. It'll benefit GBS in any case.

yeah kuato for mod!

kuato 2016: "open your mind!"

• Locked thread