Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Robin Coste Lewis but I know gently caress all about poetry

I have been reading Countee Cullen recently though and he is really good imho

Cullen owns. Lots of good Harlem Renaissance poets.

Larry Levis is real good if you like boozy Midwestern poets like James Wright

No idea who Robin Lewis is.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ross Angeles posted:

my arms are fine

I want to get you jakked bro

Come get jakked with me

this is me irl

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
what woman finds that attractive

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Come get jakked with me

this is me irl

Bodybuilders like this are actually poo poo at weightlifting

Look at this fatass, he's just a previous World's Strongest Man winner who can drag a semi behind him

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

TubeStank posted:

Cullen owns. Lots of good Harlem Renaissance poets.

Larry Levis is real good if you like boozy Midwestern poets.

No idea who Robin Lewis is.

Thoughts on Ben Lerner?

I have only read his fiction and have deeply mixed feelings. I wonder if his poetry is any better.

JT Jag posted:

Look at this fatass, he's just a previous World's Strongest Man winner who can drag a semi behind him

Acting like Mariusz Pudzianowski aint a thing

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I like Stephen Crane

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Alaois posted:

I like Stephen Crane

All fiction written before WWI is trash

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What about during WW1

I have to know if my Tolkien is legitimate.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Thoughts on Ben Lerner?

I have only read his fiction and have deeply mixed feelings. I wonder if his poetry is any better.

Acting like Mariusz Pudzianowski aint a thing

Can't say I'm familiar with him. Will check out.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

computer parts posted:

What about during WW1

I have to know if my Tolkien is legitimate.

Tolkein is very legitimate if you are 13

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
It seems like every team in the afcs has, at best, a mediocre Oline. The Titans have a lot of first round picks and FA signings but they didn't seem all that good against Houston who had been struggling to keep any rushing attack under 120 yards and a couple of touchdowns. Luke Joeckel looks like a shitlord in his 2nd season and none of the other guys really seemed like they were all that. The Colts line got Luck killed for half the season and the Texans are terrible outside of Duane brown who is having a down year.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Tolkein is very legitimate if you are 13

The Stephen King of the early 20th Century.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Doyle and Dickens are the best kind of trash, though.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ok change of pace what do you guys think of the National Book Award Winners

Ta-Nehisi Coates is a generational talent and the reputation of the award itself is entirely dependent on giving it to him, so no surprise there. I continue to struggle with Adam Johnson. The Orphan Master's son was good but I do not think it was necessarily Pulitzer Prize good and Fortune Smiles I do not think holds up as well against the other books that were in competition.

Discuss.

I have to buy his new book. Tell me, Mel. Is it very good?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Parmesan Basil posted:

I highly recommend Rick Perlstein's books on Goldwater, Nixon, and Reagan

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I like how most of this thread has been discussion of fiction, much like the fictional hellscape that is the current AFCS.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Parmesan Basil posted:

Who is his?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I only read dense philosophy texts sorry

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I'm trying to get a novel I wrote published but I know deep down it never will :smith:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Manoueverable posted:

I'm trying to get a novel I wrote published but I know deep down it never will :smith:

My friend I believe in you

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Spoeank posted:

I like how most of this thread has been discussion of fiction, much like the fictional hellscape that is the current AFCS.

Indiana, Tennessee, Florida, and Texas very real hellscapes, thank you very much.

Manoueverable posted:

Getting published is easier than ever, but getting read, that's a bit harder. I wish you all the best, since I too wish that one day.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Elephanthead posted:

Well poop I though the Titans were better then this. It is probably smarter to get high draft picks then win the AFC South shitstorm.

Did you base this opinion on the outcome of Saints game??

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

I blame the AFC south for what just happened in this thread.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Popy posted:

But that would mean they did something good

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Popy posted:

this thread is good, so the afc south did good

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Coates. I guess I should have been more specific

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Parmesan Basil posted:

It's pretty good

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Parmesan Basil posted:

Required reading for human race

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Don't listen to them Ross, skinny guys 4 lyfe :hfive:

Manoueverable posted:

Self publish that poo poo on Amazon. You could be the next Gronkening to Remember.

I wish I could finish my book but I don't know if that will ever happen :smith:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
At least you guys wrote yours. I just make dumb blog posts and dream about putting my book together.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Aw man, I missed anime/video game chat time? I hate working extra holiday hours.

So, is the Titans offensive line trying to get Mariota killed or was it just me?

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ok change of pace what do you guys think of the National Book Award Winners

Ta-Nehisi Coates is a generational talent and the reputation of the award itself is entirely dependent on giving it to him, so no surprise there. I continue to struggle with Adam Johnson. The Orphan Master's son was good but I do not think it was necessarily Pulitzer Prize good and Fortune Smiles I do not think holds up as well against the other books that were in competition.

Discuss.

I think the Orphan Masters Son is a fantasy novel. It was ok but he spent a week in Korea; he didn't know much about Korea or Korean culture. I think A Corpse in the Koryo by James Church is a superior look at life in North Korea.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Spoeank posted:

At least you guys wrote yours. I just make dumb blog posts and dream about putting my book together.

There are a billion punk / metal bassists and I unfortunately am employed.

The dream....is dead.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
So is a 6-10 AFCS winner still on the table? I know it was a divisional game so one AFCS team was probably going to win, but does a Jags win narrow the possibility?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Yeah, Week 17 could see two 5-10 AFC South teams fighting for the spot, and two runner-ups fighting for 5 wins.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 21, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Cavauro posted:

Yeah, Week 17 could see two 5-10 AFC South teams fighting for the spot, and two runner-ups fighting for 5 wins.
The Jaguars play each of the AFC South teams once before the end of the season

I like their chances to win a couple of those

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Cavauro posted:

Though I like the Jags, titans and texans more than the Colts. Best scenario would be the colts getting through with 6 wins, because even though he's a neckbeard goober, Luck would probably be good enough to pull off some rediculous offensive outing and knock someone out of the playoffs in the wildcard round.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

BlindSite posted:

because even though he's a neckbeard goober, Luck would probably be good enough to pull off some rediculous offensive outing and knock someone out of the playoffs in the wildcard round.

He'll need functioning kidneys to do that

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
What's the maximum number of points a bye week can put up against a lovely defense?

I'm asking for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Come get jakked with me

this is me irl

tiny balls eh?

• Locked thread