Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eaterofpoptarts
Oct 7, 2013
Problem description:
I've been having an issue for a couple of months where my game will hang up temporarily, then come back but without any sound. As you can see in the video I made, the sound comes back if I change my speaker output. Could this be a soundcard issue, Video Card issue, or something else completely? I happened to be recording when the issue occurred last night and I made a video highlighting the problem. It includes normal gameplay, the freezing issue, and the fix. As you can hear in the background my music continues to play and I can talk to my friend on Skype without any issues. Apoligies for the low quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3atb29bmX8

Attempted fixes:
Doanloaded and configured MSI afterburner. It is always running in the background. Slightly overclocked my card to ensure appropriate fan speed and power.
Updating video drivers
Full uninstall/reinstall of CS:GO
Updating my windows
Updating my soundcard (It's onboard, the only one I have.)
Removing the on board NVIDIA drivers
Googling to see if anyone else has the issue but I guess it's a pretty unique error.

Recent changes:
The only major change I have made is going back to my old monitor because my larger one went out. As far as I'm aware no software changes were made before yesterday and as I said before I've been having the problem for a couple of months.
--

Operating system:
Windows 7 Home 64bit

System specs:
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
Intel i5 4670 3.40ghz
AMD Radeon r9 280x
8 gigs ddr3 ram
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD
random 1TB HDD
not sure about my power supply but I remember making sure it had enough power to run everything.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I believe you also mentioned this only happens with valve games, what other games do you experience the issue in, and what game do you play that you do NOT experience the issue in? If you play 200 games don't list them all, just give highlights (preferably a few of the games released most recently)

Eaterofpoptarts
Oct 7, 2013
Issues:
CSGO
TF2

No issue:
Overwatch beta
Diablo 3
Osu
WoW

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Did you install the latest audio drivers from the Realtek website? I would also make sure that you have the latest Samsung SSD Magician software installed, and that it has updated the drive firmware to the latest. If that doesn't help, uninstall the graphics drivers, reboot, run Display Driver Uninstaller, then install the latest Catalyst Beta drivers.

Eaterofpoptarts
Oct 7, 2013

Alereon posted:

Did you install the latest audio drivers from the Realtek website? I would also make sure that you have the latest Samsung SSD Magician software installed, and that it has updated the drive firmware to the latest. If that doesn't help, uninstall the graphics drivers, reboot, run Display Driver Uninstaller, then install the latest Catalyst Beta drivers.

I decided to try these one at a time starting with the audio drivers. I don't know why I didn't think about trying that myself and now I feel like an idiot because it seems to have fixed the problem. Thank you so much for the drivers and the help!

I'll keep playing for another couple of days and I'll post here letting you know if everything is still working.

• Locked thread