Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I work in the building where Huffington Post does their interviews with b-list celebrities and I'm one of the few allowed to use the entrance where they all come in so I see famous people all the time. Most of the time I have to go to their website to check who I just walked past because I didn't even recognize them. There's usually a bunch of people hanging out on the sidewalk outside, mostly fans but I also see the same few paparazzi guys all the time. Usually they just smile and wave to the fans and walk right by. Roger Waters signed autographs for dozens of people last week but he did it while sitting in his car with the window rolled most of the way up so no one could see him or talk to him. The only person I saw that was genuinely nice and stopped to pose for photos and talk to everyone was Elizabeth Moss.

JLo was the biggest oval office, she's the only one I've seen who just straight up ignored everyone like they didn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

I went to to Newgrounds and met famous Newgrounds people like Tom Fulp. Nothing bad happened it was great.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've met a few celebrities but most encounters have pretty much me saying how much me saying I really like their work and them giving me a very genuine sounding thank you and that's about it. I think the longest I've talked to anyone that would even come close to be considered a celebrity was Lake Bell and that went on for like two minutes tops, but it was still cool because Lake Bell is cool as hell. Really the closest to bad stories I have are that Michael Cera was really awkward and my camera wouldn't work when I met Michael Moore my camera wouldn't work properly, but that was my fault and after that I haven't really bothered with pictures.

Also I guess Gwar were kinda rude, but they were also in character so it'd be dumb to complain.

The second best would probably be Henry Rollins, who is just a cool dude who I think literally will spend ours outside after his shows until every fan is gone. The best would be this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjKau4a-HGY (I would say I'm the goony looking one but like everyone there looks really goony).

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
Back in the late 90s I got stuck working as a second engineer on a Marc Anthony session. I had just finished a really long overnight session and had been up for over 24 hours at that point but it was a last minute booking and I was the only person available so I was stuck. Fortunately it was just a simple overdub session so I didn't really have to do anything except wait for the engineer to need something patched or for something to go wrong. Everything was going smoothly so I was just sitting in the back chilling out. At one point I had my eyes closed, not sleeping but just kind of zoning out, when I heard him stop singing and just yell "what the gently caress man?" Apparently he noticed that my eyes were closed and just completely lost his poo poo, yelling that (and I'm paraphrasing since it's been over 15 years) "I'm in here singing my rear end off, pouring out my heart and this motherfucker is sitting in the back sleeping! How the gently caress am I supposed to work like this? Are you bored? If you wanna take a nap go the gently caress outside, I'm trying to fuckin' sing here!" Mind you there are about 10 other people in and about the control room, all watching and listening and encouraging him but the one guy squeezed into the back corner not paying attention to him at all times is such a disruption that he has to throw a baby tantrum. I tried to explain that I wasn't actually sleeping, just zoning out listening to the track but that wasn't good enough and I had to leave the room because I was throwing him off. I was lucky that the engineer was a friend of mine and completely understanding so I didn't get in any kind of trouble but the whole experience was massively unpleasant since up to that point every celebrity I'd encountered had been super nice. In fact, of all the celebrities I've met and/or worked with before or since Marc Anthony is the only one that I can remember being an rear end in a top hat.

E: I did have a couple of odd experiences with celebrities. One night at about 2 or 3am I happened to answer the phone to find a drunk Devante (from JoDeCi if you remember them) on the other end. I couldn't really make heads or tails of what he was talking about, other than figuring out he was trying to call the Hit Factory and had somehow dialed us instead, but I didn't want to be rude to a client so I ended up talking to him about nothing in particular for like 15-20 minutes. Another time we got drunk dialed by Maurice Starr, who drunkenly told me all about being the guy who created New Edition and New Kids on the Block despite my best attempts to sound disinterested. Then there was the time I was eating lunch with Bjork during a break in the session and she proceeded to tell me about an old method of preserving meat in Iceland that involved digging a hole in the ground, pissing on the meat and then burying it. Apparently the salt and ammonia would act as a preservative along with the freezing temperatures or something like that? I don't know man, it came straight out of left field and I was a little too dumbfounded to press for further details at that point.

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 21, 2015

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
A couple years ago some director I never heard of before meeting him (Julian Schnabel) had me trapped in line for a few hours waiting for a very delayed flight, showing me pictures of his fat rear end surfing in hawaii and hanging out with hot babes. He was an rear end in a top hat and was annoying the poo poo out of everyone in line, but mostly he focused on talking to me for some reason.

Lost Canyoneer
Nov 1, 2009
Someday I should write up an account of how I gave poison ivy to former Secretary of the Interior James Watt.

Oh my goodness, it's a real hoot!

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Lost Canyoneer posted:

Someday I should write up an account of how I gave poison ivy to former Secretary of the Interior James Watt.

Oh my goodness, it's a real hoot!

i will need this on my desk in the morning, good sir. these are more interesting (maybe?)

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
giving someone poison ivy is a pretty intimate experience, kinda different than me shaking "ler" from primus' hand once. if i would have had poison ivy, however.... you see where im going with this.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bumped into a few celebrities and don't usually bug them. Norman Reedus was cool as hell to everyone though, not a trace of the ego you get from most people, esp. when they're fan favorites like that.. super laid back about the celebrity thing.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The Mentalizer posted:

. Then there was the time I was eating lunch with Bjork during a break in the session and she proceeded to tell me about an old method of preserving meat in Iceland that involved digging a hole in the ground, pissing on the meat and then burying it. Apparently the salt and ammonia would act as a preservative along with the freezing temperatures or something like that? I don't know man, it came straight out of left field and I was a little too dumbfounded to press for further details at that point.

she was hitting on you

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I was at a bar once and so was Diedrich Bader and he was sitting all alone so I went up to him and asked if he would like some company and he responded "Sure" and we had a couple beers together then he told me a story about how Drew Carey pissed himself on set because he was so drunk and also fat.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Nose posted:

Tingwell was the best and it's awesome that you chose him for your made up celebrity encounter.

it's actually true. i was with a friend and i yeled out his name and he detoured into a backalley and when i got there myself i lost him. he was in town performing in some play or something

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Oh one time I went to a David Cross book signing and told him a terrible joke about my therapist. He said it was funny.

Vulture
Aug 7, 2012

i met a famous football quarterback when i was a kid. he liked the pop "squiert". i am from colorado. i didn't knoiw he was a football player. everyone else knew though and they were all excited to see him.

i wasn't cause idin't know who he was.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

katlington posted:

she was hitting on you

Nah, for one thing she was with Matthew Barney at the time. Also, I'm not that much of a goon that I wouldn't realize it if someone was hitting on me.

E: I will say, though, that even though she didn't hit on me she was super nice and absolutely adorable.

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 21, 2015

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

when i was in 7th grade i met r kelly

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
Did he pee on you?

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 21, 2015

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

My favorite celebrity encounter was when I met Nathan Fillion from firefly, but I had no idea who he was. I was working as a reporter at Dragoncon, and the entire cast was there to sign autographs. The line stretched around the entire block of one of the hotels in Downtown Atlanta. It was the sweatiest, fattest, most pathetic line you've ever seen. Just so many fat dudes in suspenders.

Anyway, I had a press pass, so I got to go basically backstage the entire time. They have a lot of bathrooms and buffet places for the celebrities to just get away from it all. I flash my badge to head back to take a piss and I notice a guy in the bathroom. He's leaned over the sink, just breathing heavily, and trying to keep it together. I don't recognize him kinda, and when I go to wash my hands, I said "Hey man."

He turned to me with this completely exhausted, horrified look. "You were great in Saving Private Ryan."

He smiled, laughed, thanked me, and walked out.

It wasn't until later I realized this guy was having to shake the sweaty, fat palm of every pathetic Serenity nerd in the south east and hardly any of them probably knew he was in one of the biggest movies of all time.

Anyway I hope he's doing well. He's a nice guy.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

axleblaze posted:

I think the longest I've talked to anyone that would even come close to be considered a celebrity was Lake Bell and that went on for like two minutes tops, but it was still cool because Lake Bell is cool as hell.
I'm jealous, I think Lake Bell is awesome

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Lewis Black yelled at me until I agreed to eat the rest of his BBQ Chicken pizza.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I met Ted Turner at the Olympic Village in Lake Placid during one of the Winter Olympics about a decade ago. My parents talked to him for a bit and we kind of just waved at each other in greeting.

I remember him being super nice and interested in small talk with people. I jokingly challenged him to a luge race but he laughed it off

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
A couple of years back I was over at S.I.R. rehearsal studios helping a friend prepare for an appearance on Letterman. I was outside having a quick smoke break when a familiar looking older dude came out and asked me for a light. He was super friendly so we shot the poo poo for a little bit, but the whole time it was driving me nuts that I couldn't figure out why he looked so familiar or where the hell I knew him from. It wasn't until about 10 minutes after we went back to our respective rooms that it finally hit me: it was Rick Nielsen from Cheap Trick! Unfortunately I didn't run into him again but it was still a cool little encounter.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

Once when walking through Bel Air a man fell on top of me. It was DJ Jazzy Jeff!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i once went to an event to see Donald Trump in toronto. the entire event was filled with scam artist real estate flippers, with geroge foreman and the Trump speaking last. Trump insulted the event, and all of us, then went on for a rant about rosie o'donnel for 30 min and left.

best $50 i ever spent

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Sharing celebrity stories in this thread with friends and a few have sent me theirs. Here's some good ones.

Met Weird Al after a Depeche Mode concert in the mid 2000s in a little restaurant a block or two away from the concert hall. He was dressed like a normal person, T shirt, jeans, etc. He was sitting by a table with a togo number. I went up to the table next to him after I ordered my food and just said "Hey" when he made eye contact. He said "hello" and I politely whispered, so other people wouldn't hear "You're Al, right?" and he just smiled, nodded and I said "You're pretty great. I'm a big fan." and he thanked me, probably more for keeping quiet and not drawing attention than saying I was a fan. When they brought his bag and drink to him, he held his drink up in a small toast like gesture to me and walked off.

My roommate drunkenly smacked John Cusack at a bar in Santa Barbara after a USC game. It was really packed and we were walking to a booth some friends were at trying to navigate the crowd and my roommate was sloshed. He squeezed between some girls and right infront of us is John Cusack looking pretty dour. My roommate leans forward and shouts "YOU'RE JOHN CUSACK! I LOVE GROSS POINTE!" and as John Cusack tried to give a polite nod, my roommate just blindsides him with an open hand slap to his face. I immediately yank my roommate back and apologized to Mr. Cusack and tell him my roommate's drunk as gently caress, and Im just gonna take him home. Cusack just said "Yeah, that's a good idea" so I said sorry like 20 times and dragged my roommate to a taxi. When I told him the story the next morning his reason for slapping John Cusack was that he thought he had been dreaming and just wanted to see if he was real. So apparently if you run in to John Cusack in the wild he'll let you pop him one and not be a bitch about it.

A buddy of mine from the Marines now works as an electrician/WiFi tech/Handyman on movie/TV poo poo and has met a ton of celebrities. He says the South park guys are really humble and funny in person. David Spade is supposedly really really nice to everyone off camera and my buddy claims he actually got hired to work on a few "lovely but great paying movies" because when he was doing temp work on the Set of Rules of Engagement, he fixed Spade's phone when it wouldn't send texts or emails. When Spade tried to give him cash for it he politely declined and just said he was happy to help. So Spade pulled some strings and got him a lot of work. The only celebrities he claims to dislike after meeting them are Artie Lang and Nancy Cartwright

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015
I have to share this story about my best friend meeting the two main actors of Supernatural, because every time I think about it, it makes me laugh.

"So I got invited by a friend who worked on set design to this premiere party for a web series that one of the actors from Supernatural was in. It took place in a really nice hotel ballroom, so I went and drank a bunch of free booze and eventually had to go pee in this super fancy bathroom.

The way the bathrooms were set up was you had to walk down a hallway and then it forked with one door on one end that was the ladies bathroom and the mens bathroom on the other end. I go to the bathroom and when I'm washing my hands i see theres a variety of fancy rear end lotions there, so I'm like "dang treat yourself girl!" and start lathering up.

As I'm leaving the bathroom, I start smelling my hands because I'm drunk, and they smell good. I walk out of the door, and suddenly lock eyes with Jared Paladecki coming out of the mens bathroom while my hand is fully shoved up to my nose. We just stared at each other and I managed to get out "the lotions in there smell nice", and he just kind of gave me a terse nod and then tried to walk by, but because of how the hallway was set up we had to walk next to each other and then wait in the line up to get let back into the party side by side, and it was MORTIFYING.

I later backed my rear end up, by accident, into Jensen Ackles while I was drunkenly doing robot dance moves on the dance floor. And talked about weird first names with Misha Collins."

There's another story about how Tommy Wiseau picked her up and twirled her around while calling her a princess, but I'd ask to her to to write about how that all came about to get the story right.

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

Rutibex posted:

i once went to an event to see Donald Trump in toronto. the entire event was filled with scam artist real estate flippers, with geroge foreman and the Trump speaking last. Trump insulted the event, and all of us, then went on for a rant about rosie o'donnel for 30 min and left.

best $50 i ever spent

This is beautiful. I hope he ejects her out of the country by way of cannon when he becomes President.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
two stories

1) i was riding on the bus and irwin r. schyster came on in full costume and sat in front of me
2) i used to work at jimmy john's and ron jeremy came in and ordered a sub while the lunch rush was dying down. he's a manlet, i had like 3 inches on him and i'm 5'9''

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Booblord Zagats posted:

The only celebrities he claims to dislike after meeting them are Artie Lang

who seems like he basically hates everything that isn't heroin/alcohol

quote:

and Nancy Cartwright

who is a crazy scientologist

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Blue Raider posted:

saw macho man randy savage once in a mall walking around in full sequined white-on-white getup and i yelled hey macho and he yelled back in the flesh baby

I can hear it in my mind

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Champenema posted:

He's short as gently caress ain't he? Like maybe 5'1"

Actually, no, he was a little taller than us (I'm 5'11, my friend is 6'1)

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
I saw Bono and the Edge once in Dublin airport. I just kept staring and staring at Bono, and eventually one of his security guys came over and asked if I wanted his autograph. I said "no, I was just staring at him because he's loving tiny, like 4ft high, could you tell him that?"
He walked off.
Pretty exciting.

Also I met Neil Young once, on his ranch, and asked him how he lived so long and still banged out the music.
All he said was "It's not music". Then we were "escorted" off the ranch.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

LadyAmbien posted:

I've had a lot of weird celebrity encounters given that I lived in a small town in BC, Canada - but we are the closest centre to where a lot of films are made because our landscape looks like all different parts of the world, in one concentrated area. (Desert, wetlands, mountains, forests, etc.) I heard that Morgan Freeman and JLo are giant assholes from some people working on the set. And that JLo would get super pissed off if anyone made eye contact with her.

well eye contact is considered a sign of aggression amongst primates

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I met Weird Al, but it was at a book signing

The bad part was waiting for many hours to get through the line with no place to sit; I did get to meet him and he was super polite but it was also obvious he was as worn out as I was; still, got a picture

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
i've seen all kinds of horror stories about how much of an rear end in a top hat jennifer lopez is, but the one person i personally know who has met her said she was very sweet & nice.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
so just how much money did she pay to see jennifer lopez

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

so just how much money did she pay to see jennifer lopez

he was a guy, and he was working on one of her sets for something.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Sir Nose posted:

This sounds really familiar, have you related this anecdote around here before?

Yup. Not really worst celebrity encounter, more like only celebrity encounter.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Infinite Karma posted:

i live near los angeles so i see celebs (celebrities) all the time.

worst was when i saw scarjo (scarlet johansson) at a concert and tried to talk to her. she laughed at me and walked away. super embarrassing

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

When I was like 10 my parents and I waited in line for a couple hours to get an autograph from Kareem Abdul Jabbar. I recall him asking what team was on my baseball cap and him being overall friendly. Apparently that is kind of incorrect though because according to my parents I was being shy and kind of mumbling answers and he got snippy and basically rudely told me that I needed to speak up. Can't blame him too much, but my parents don't like him.

• Locked thread