Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
:siren: :siren::siren::siren::siren:

We are in a state of FORUMS EMERGENCY. We've formed an ADTRW Discord server, and this thread has its own channel in it. Here's a Google sheet with some of the thread's top mangas, and the same exists in the channel. PM me for an invite or post a request in this thread WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

HALLO EVERYNYAN

Anime forum regulars, shitposters, lurkers, one and all, come round and see the most unusual, bizarre, strange and surreal specimens of Japanese comic art ever to grace this world! Thrill at the rancorious, rip-roaring adventures inside the mind of a little girl with a really overactive imagination! Chill at the heartwarming story of a kid and her cat in a world torn asunder by Lovecraftian horrors from beyond our dimension! Marvel at the fascinating society of a world much like our own except everyone is some kind of mythical beast! Laugh and cry and laugh till you cry at the thrilling tale of a 40-year old puppeteer who befriends a group of high schoolers despite all odds and teaches them the joy of life!!

This is the Surreal Daily Life Manga Thread!

:woop::woop::woop:

I'm your presenter and host of this endless parade of freakshows and delights! It's a wonderful, wacky, and weird sub-genre of manga where ordinary life is punctuated by and spiced up a bit by the odd, absurd, and nonsensical. How about the life of some ordinary schoolgirls... except the town seems to be under attack by a goldfish-headed man? Or the spooky goings-on at a hotel in the tropics? Or the daily dealings of high schoolers in a fantastical and whimsical sci-fi future where the dead are stored in a computer system so that they can keep in touch with the living?

Really, the genre is open to interpretation, but the main idea is generally "slice of life, with a surreal or fantastical edge". In this thread we want stories where you click on it and think "Oh my god, what is this?! :gonk:" and yet after a bit, you think "... and why have I spent all night reading every chapter of it?" Usually these manga tend to be a bit less popular, translated a bit more sporadically, due to the quirky art style, strange stories, or just nichey "feel". But that's what we like about them!

I mean, amusing as it is to listen to moé schoolgirls natter on and on about nothing in a vaguely humorous way, sometimes the soul calls out for something a bit different. A bit out of the ordinary. That's why we're here, gladly spreading weirdness and joy! :yayclod:
Additionally, the nice thing about these is that they usually have a slightly more unconventional art style than your usual manga, so it's a great way to enjoy something a bit different.
Let's have a look at a few of our highlights from the last thread!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Oldies But Goodies: Completed Works
-----------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We Await New Chapters With Bated Breath: Ongoing Works
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:neckbeard:Honored Alumni: Manga With Their Own Threads:neckbeard:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Honorable Mentions: More Daily Life Manga, but With Occasional Surreal Chapters or a Quirky Atmosphere
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
New thread smell. Gonna read the OP.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
My favorites are the ones that feature moé schoolgirls nattering on and on about nothing in a vaguely humorous way and are weird as poo poo.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
This thread's predecessors have consistently produced the best manga and I look forward to whatever people think fits under the vague label of "Surreal Daily Life."

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Twiddy posted:

This thread's predecessors have consistently produced the best manga and I look forward to whatever people think fits under the vague label of "Surreal Daily Life."

There has only been one predecessor! But boy howdy has it ever spawned such lovely offshoot threads! Anyone remember Ketchup Ninja? That one was great!

And of course, to recap the previous one, many of our thread favorites are actually getting anime adaptations! Truthism got a :mediocre: one, but we have Flying Witch and Kumamiko to look forward to! :D

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

My favorites are the ones that feature moé schoolgirls nattering on and on about nothing in a vaguely humorous way and are weird as poo poo.

Yes, I like Centaur's Worries too.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

And of course, to recap the previous one, many of our thread favorites are actually getting anime adaptations! Truthism got a :mediocre: one, but we have Flying Witch and Kumamiko to look forward to! :D

Really hope that it's a good one. Truthism was definitely not anywhere near the Manga's standards.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I like this one

I'm debating asking my boss if I can just show up at work as gintoki

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, thanks to the OP, I'm now stuck rereading the entirety of Angel Densetsu. It's so good!

I only wish we got to see more of Kitano's family, because they're a real highlight whenever they show up.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I like this one
I'm debating asking my boss if I can just show up at work as gintoki

Yes, make your coworkers' daily lives a bit more surreal. Good man!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Man Kuro is getting pretty loving dark

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

chunkles posted:

Man Kuro is getting pretty loving dark

Has it gotten new chapters lately? The scans were a bit irregular so I let them wait.

I love the creature design and atmosphere of this one, though! It reminds me of a Stephen King novel.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

By the way, I just found out that Dagashi Kashi is getting an anime this coming Winter! Super-excited, and it reminded me to look for a new chapter (posted last month, haha!).

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Man, i'm finally getting around to reading Kuro and i'm somewhat alarmed to find that it's pretty much about the very thing i've been trying to make my avatars about.

i.e. "oh it's a cat"

"no wait it's some sort of black ghost/monster just shaped like a cat!"

a kitten fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 28, 2015

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Just finished reading sumire 16 cause of this op

Why'd it have to end so soon!!! Now we'll never know who the old man really is

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

yum posted:

Just finished reading sumire 16 cause of this op

Why'd it have to end so soon!!! Now we'll never know who the old man really is

What old man? All I saw was the heartwarming story of a high school girl who tries hard and loves life. :swoon:

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

DrSunshine posted:

What old man? All I saw was the heartwarming story of a high school girl who tries hard and loves life. :swoon:

Ah that's right I forgot she hates that nickname. Where did it even come from anyways people are so mean

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dagashi Kashi 26 - American Cola. :911:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Man, I loved the anime version of And Yet The Town Moves (turns, etc, whatever). I should read the source.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

graybook posted:

Man, I loved the anime version of And Yet The Town Moves (turns, etc, whatever). I should read the source.
It's real loving good.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Hello shiny new thread. Looks like I picked a good time to come back. :)

a kitten posted:

Man, i'm finally getting around to reading Kuro and i'm somewhat alarmed to find that it's pretty much about the very thing i've been trying to make my avatars about.

what the hell
As long as I can remember you've been 'that guy from the shoujo thread with the Kuro avatars'. :psyduck:

e: i would describe this revelation as slightly surreal

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Jostiband posted:

Hello shiny new thread. Looks like I picked a good time to come back. :)

what the hell
As long as I can remember you've been 'that guy from the shoujo thread with the Kuro avatars'. :psyduck:

e: i would describe this revelation as slightly surreal

And it's pretty everyday too! Though I've always thought a kitten was a lady.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hahaha, revelations all around!

Anyway, Kuro is real good and i'm sad to have caught up with the translations for it. :f5:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

So I've started reading this manga about a lady with a live-in maid who's actually a super-powerful dragon from another world; I've seen it posted in the previous incarnation of this thread.

The Maid Dragon of Kobayashi.

It's pretty weird, and the art style varies from moe to ...

... somewhat in the same way that Nejimaki Kagyu does, which is something I quite enjoy!

Something about these strange, obscure but awesome mangas seem to have in common -- weird, sometimes slightly bad art, but they make up for it in terms of sheer :wtc:-value.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Has the author of "the Dragon's seven adorable children" done any other works? I can swear I know there is another manga out there with a similar body style and face style as that author except this one is about a dungeon and cooking.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

scaterry posted:

Has the author of "the Dragon's seven adorable children" done any other works? I can swear I know there is another manga out there with a similar body style and face style as that author except this one is about a dungeon and cooking.
The one you're thinking of is Dungeon Meshi, and yes indeed it's by the same guy.

Also, Dungeon Meshi is super fantastic. It's about a group of poor D&D style adventurers who decide that in order to save money and time, they will just eat all the monsters on the way to rescue one of their party members.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 2, 2015

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

a kitten posted:

The one you're thinking of is Dungeon Meshi, and yes indeed it's by the same guy.

Also, Dungeon Meshi is super fantastic. It's about a group of poor D&D style adventurers who decide that in order to save money and time, they will just eat all the monsters on the way to rescue one of their party members.

I knew it!

Dungeon Meshi is great and legit and I would gladly play a session with their ruleset.

Kui Ryouko is good stuff

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

scaterry posted:

You should also read her anthology of short stories Terrarium in Drawer. This lady is rapidly becoming my favorite manga author with her gentle stories and great characters.

She does more with 3 pages than some authors do in chapters.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

My favorite manga of this kind is Hirameki Hatsume-chan in which a girl named Hatsume lives with her parents and can invent basically everything but is extremely innocent and has no common sense. Full of japanese puns and general goofiness.

Second favorite not mentioned in the thread yet is Tonari no Nanige-san, which is about a possibly supernatural being that appears whenever you have a mundane problem, like your pencil broke, and fixes it. It's very... unique.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

angel densestsu is a loving joy

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It really, really is. All the characters are so great I have trouble naming a favorite, although it might be the blonde kids collectively.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Gloomy Rube posted:

Second favorite not mentioned in the thread yet is Tonari no Nanige-san, which is about a possibly supernatural being that appears whenever you have a mundane problem, like your pencil broke, and fixes it. It's very... unique.

I'd forgotten about this one! Nanige-san is great, a really sweet, really :3: manga. She's so helpful! She's on the same level of godliness as Sakamoto (who's now licensed and available by the way!).

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Stairmaster posted:

angel densestsu is a loving joy

I read this years ago when I was mostly into Shounen battle mangas, because it's from the same author as Claymore. It blew my mind how much more I enjoyed Angel Densetsu. I wish it had an anime.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
You're in luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96nSK66xVrM

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I feel I have to give a shout-out to Junji Ito's Cat Diary just on the basis that it's Junji Ito writing about his ordinary life while everyone involved still has the same Junji Ito freakyfaces and that same Junji Ito horror atmosphere.

EDIT: Ah, woops, no linking to licensed properties!

I found out he wrote a Dog Diary too.

Seriously gently caress those little yappy dogs!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 6, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

I feel I have to give a shout-out to Junji Ito's Cat Diary just on the basis that it's Junji Ito writing about his ordinary life while everyone involved still has the same Junji Ito freakyfaces and that same Junji Ito horror atmosphere.

It completely freakin' rules and is for sale, go buy it right the heck now!

http://www.amazon.com/Junji-Itos-Cat-Diary-Yon/dp/1632361973/ref=pd_cp_14_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0N57Z9DSMB7XXRP5885X

E: wait poo poo, i linked to the untranslated version, fixed now.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 6, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Today's Dagashi Kashi is about what are apparently super-long Japanese Red Vines!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

God I love this manga. Oh Hotaru! Such relentless dedication to sweets and snacks!!

Dagashi Kashi 28

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

3 chapters of Dagashi Kashi

Also, I think +Tic Neesan is really bizarre, daily life, and has a strange and quirky drawing style, so it definitely fits. Just check out the story of Protein Baby, a very muscular baby.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Trihugger posted:

I read this years ago when I was mostly into Shounen battle mangas, because it's from the same author as Claymore. It blew my mind how much more I enjoyed Angel Densetsu. I wish it had an anime.

I really hope the author does another comedy, because he is way better at comedy than he is action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ytlaya posted:

I really hope the author does another comedy, because he is way better at comedy than he is action.

Agreed so hard. Claymore was a tremendous disappointment.