Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
he's talking about his ancient devices that haven't been updated in years and therefore don't have the software to support the new iCloud Drive stuff. you get a warning that these devices will be left behind if you use iCloud Drive. no normal person sees this because they retired those devices a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and yet as a normal person, I saw that warning

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

I'LL MAKE JOKES ABOUT RAPE.

echinopsis posted:

and yet as a normal person

Lmao.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Captain Pike posted:

here are some of my favorite macthings:

1. In every IDE on the planet, double-clicking a file in the project view will open that file in the IDE. In Xcode, double-clicking a file will open it in a quirky cute fun design language pop-up window outside of the IDE. This is wonderful and great and never annoying. Especially when switching between Xcode and normal IDEs several times a day.

you can set Xcode to use double-click to open in a new tab in the prefs

that's not the default because for the first decade of Xcode's life, it worked similarly to how other Mac IDEs have worked since 1984-5 (THINK Lightspeed Pascal and C, the latter was written by one of my former coworkers) where double-click always opened a document in a new window because there was a "project window" rather than an "IDE window" with an editor in it

we didn't want to break existing Mac developers' muscle memory

now that most developers have adapted to the single-window IDE style we should revisit that, I'll file a Radar

quote:

2. In Finder, double-clicking a folder navigates you into that folder. This is also true in Windows Explorer. And every other operating system. This is also true in every "Open File" dialog ever.

However, In Xcode... and I am not making this up:

- Select "Add Files to project"
- A normal-looking Finder-type "open file" dialog appears.
- Double-click a folder....

There is no confirmation. There is no indication that Xcode did anything. Xcode is now importing your entire loving home directory. There is no way to cancel this.

Why is your Xcode project now taking up three terabytes? Because gently caress you that's why.

Xcode doesn't customize the standard NSOpenPanel in any relevant way though, you'll get equivalent behavior in any app that can open folders: in icon or list view double-click will drill down into a folder, in column view

I'll file a Radar about being able to cancel a long copy that's kicked off by that though, it's obviously a good idea to both present progress for that and make it cancellable

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The Management posted:

yeah xcode is bad.

actually, it's quite good

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

echi, you should install the latest Xcode from the Mac App Store and then start playing with the SpriteKit game tools that are just a part of the IDE and also with Swift

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

eschaton posted:

actually, it's quite good

keep filing those radars until the ui makes sense and it doesn't crash randomly.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eschaton posted:

echi, you should install the latest Xcode from the Mac App Store and then start playing with the SpriteKit game tools that are just a part of the IDE and also with Swift

uh does that mean learning obj-c

also whats cool about osx? i now know about expose

can you still get the cal;culator thing up easily

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
⌘ + space bar
and type in 'calc' and press enter?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DaNzA posted:

⌘ + space bar
and type in 'calc' and press enter?

i tremember the widgets thing, and weather app and calculator etc at the press of a button

but now its not? wtf

that space plus butthole symbol owns

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if your butthole has four smaller buttholes around the periphery you should go to a doctor immediately

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
you can actually do simple arithmetic in the spotlight window itself, no need to open calculator.app

super handy

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
you can turn dashboard back on if you really want to, but thanks to a combination of spotlight + searchbar, you really don't need to

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

you can turn dashboard back on if you really want to, but thanks to a combination of spotlight + searchbar, you really don't need to

You also don't need to cum. Nocturnal emissions will keep your clockwork greased. Then again, it /is/ a lot more fun.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

this poo poo sucks

as it turns out, you can basically do about the same poo poo. open up facebook. read an email

"worlds most advanced operating system"? who cares if using computers is the worst

so, mach sucks then

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its actually the most performant and advanced kernel, together with a solid open source bsd foundation that makes apple operating system x 10.11.1 el capitan the worlds most advanced operating system

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so, mach sucks then

mach stymie

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

i will be a new machaver on weds, gives me time to get into spritekit/swift/setup

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

its actually the most performant and advanced kernel, together with a solid open source bsd foundation that makes apple operating system x 10.11.1 el capitan the worlds most advanced operating system

i think i clicked the upgrade to el crapiturd but who fuckin knows what the hell is going on when you do anything. is it going to upgrade by itself? its impossible know

i saved something the other day. where did it go? im too old to be learning about new file systems, i just trust that the mac will do the work for me

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

im too old

:agreed:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I can't upgrade my Mac past lion :smugmrgw:

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

if vegemite is pronounced vegy-mity sure

how old were you when you lost your vegemite?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

I can't upgrade my Mac past lion :smugmrgw:

What Mac do you have? Even my old 2011 iMac has El Capitan...

Captain Pike posted:

here are some of my favorite macthings:

1. In every IDE on the planet, double-clicking a file in the project view will open that file in the IDE. In Xcode, double-clicking a file will open it in a quirky cute fun design language pop-up window outside of the IDE. This is wonderful and great and never annoying. Especially when switching between Xcode and normal IDEs several times a day.

Why would you double click when single clicking works just fine? Do other IDEs require you to double click just to switch to a file in the project view? If so, that's stupid and seems like an issue with them. Of course, the Visual Studio UI is a cataclysm of bad ideas vomited all over the screen, so it wouldn't surprise me if you could only switch between files by double-clicking...

quote:

2. In Finder, double-clicking a folder navigates you into that folder. This is also true in Windows Explorer. And every other operating system. This is also true in every "Open File" dialog ever.

However, In Xcode... and I am not making this up:

- Select "Add Files to project"
- A normal-looking Finder-type "open file" dialog appears.
- Double-click a folder....

There is no confirmation. There is no indication that Xcode did anything. Xcode is now importing your entire loving home directory. There is no way to cancel this.

Why is your Xcode project now taking up three terabytes? Because gently caress you that's why.

I just tried this and it switched to the folder I double clicked on. IDK how you managed to make it gently caress up.

Also, I like having the ability to double-click on a file and have it open in a new, separate window in Xcode. Trying to design an AppleTV UI with Interface Builder really sucks, because you can't fit the whole 1080p UI in Xcode's One Window To Rule Them All at 1:1 zoom, but you can't move/adjust/whatever anything when zoomed out Because Reasons, so being able to open my AppleTV UI .xib in a separate window is useful.

I don't know how people use Interface Builder to make OS X UIs. Seems like integrating IB and Xcode was designed solely for beginner iOS programmers...

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
can i install xscreensaver on osx

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
With osxombo.com, you can do anything...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Necc0 posted:

oh how did i forget the most infuriating thing about my work laptop: mine has a nipple mouse in the keyboard and it's impossible to disable. it's also super sensitive so if i'm ever typing and so much as even brush that nip it registers as a mouse click and lol now i'm typing somewhere else. every time i disable the loving thing it re-enables itself within a day.

assuming it's a Dell, you have to set apoint.exe to run at startup.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Management posted:

he's talking about his ancient devices that haven't been updated in years and therefore don't have the software to support the new iCloud Drive stuff. you get a warning that these devices will be left behind if you use iCloud Drive. no normal person sees this because they retired those devices a long time ago.

by definition, everyone with more than one device would see that warning screen at least once

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Korean Boomhauer posted:

can i install xscreensaver on osx

yes, yes you can!
https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/download.html

but not for micro$haft winblow$ :mad:

quote:

Windows users:

There is no Windows version of xscreensaver, and there never will be. Please stop asking. Microsoft killed my company, and I hold a personal grudge. I don't use any Microsoft products and neither should you.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
agreed

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
xcode doesn't have cheevos like visual studio so obvs it's hot garbage

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Doc Block posted:

What Mac do you have? Even my old 2011 iMac has El Capitan...

it's a 2007 MacBook

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
2007? is that one of the ones that came in colors like blue apple and macleberry

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its impossible in finder to tell where in the file systte, you are except the name of the current directory. finder is hot garbage man

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

echinopsis posted:

its impossible in finder to tell where in the file systte, you are except the name of the current directory. finder is hot garbage man

right click the name of the current directory. in the top center of the window

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
finder is so bad just like the rest of osx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the reason they don't have an address bar in finder is because they want to hide that its a Linux.

• Locked thread