Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Theodore Beauregarde - The Camp
BP: 1

"Well then, I'll have to do my best not to disappoint. We'll teach those Dukes a lesson they won't soon forget."

Theodore slept fitfully that night--the ground was hard, and his mind was churning. He had strange new powers, it was true, but that could not be all that he brought to the table--to do so would be to give up on everything in his life up to this point, to declare it all without value. The Fire had to be a tool to be used, not something he allowed to define him. No, he was a man of learning, one of the finest minds in Albia. He had grass, hides, sand, water, and a limitless supply of magical heat. He could do better....

When he awoke in the morning he felt far more refreshed than he would have expected, and his clothing was remarkably unsoiled, given what it had been through. Thankful for small mercies, he headed down to the watering hole. It had taken him time, but now the idea was firmly fixed in his brain. He bent and scooped up a double handful of the sand at the water's edge and let the heat flow into it, melting into a puddle of molten glass, curiously cool in his grasp. Carefully, he dropped it into the water, watching as it cooled. The words of his old physics professor back at Bullington came back to him.

"The chief principle at work in a Prince Rupert's Drop is that of surface tension--the glass in the interior of the drop wants very badly to force its way out, but the hardened surface holds it back in. You can smash the head with a hammer all day and it will be none the worse for wear. But the delicate tail, on the other hand..."

Theodore fished the hardened drop at of the water, holding it up to the light. Holding it away from his body, he reached up and snapped off the very tip of the long tail. Instantly, the entire thing exploded, shattering into countless fragments of glass. An excellent parlor trick, should your parlor contain a crucible and you didn't mind having broken glass everywhere, but not much more. He repeated the process, smaller this time. This was the true proof of concept. He held the completed drop in his hand and carefully channeled the power into it, wicking down the tail and filling the grape-sized bulb with a fiery light. Careful now... Easy does it... He held the completed product gingerly, and then tossed it down the shore with all his might. This time the explosion was far larger, fire bursting out into the air. He looked at the beach and the innumerable grains of sand upon it.

He had a feeling Haakon was going to like this a lot.

Using Fire [+2] to make glass firebombs! Prince Rupert's Drops are really neat, you should take a look at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Adamas - Village Meeting Area

As you set out on foot, with Karl carrying the supplies, you make your way west. Things are uneventful for the first day, but on the second you see a small group of men on horseback approaching from the distance. They are still too far to make out much about them, and you don’t know whether they’ve spotted you.

The Count of Alisburg-Schwarzfort

As you work through your tablets, you realize that you’re having a difficult time. The more occult and ritual knowledge is easy enough to remember, though you have no way of knowing whether it is really valid in this new world. However, other things are more difficult. Horsemanship, leadership, tactics and strategy, these are things you learned from experience not from books, and as such your attempt at distilling that knowledge down to written form is uneven and will be difficult for novices to use.

While you write, the people note the locations the Eisenratte seek out, but the lack of tools or knowledge of carpentry necessary to form wooden tools, means that little work is done.

Ya, Esoteric Knowledge only applies to occult stuff. Also, as a reminder your people’s tools are currently limited to six stone axes.

Aldebaran - Coastal Village

The villagers were certainly surprised at Aldebaran’s demonstration of power, but the reaction was mixed. One contingent wanted to accede to his requests, the other thought him a demon and consorting with him would drat them all to hell. The villagers were evenly divided, and with each passing moment tension was increasing between the two camps. Cries of heretic and fool were being exchanged. If the tension continued to increase, it might very well boil over.

Aldebaran was surprised when the village leader did not step in to resolve the issue, in fact, he realized there he couldn’t pick out the leader anywhere.

Bo Zhang - Bandit camp

“My name is Sabah, silver-tongue.” The Bandit leader addresses you. “There aren’t as many villages is the mountains. We usually made our bread on raiding caravans going to and from Starktfaste. There are a couple of smaller dwarven settlements in the mountains, but if we wanted to see more villages we can reasonable hit we’d need to go south-east, in the direction of Wexfold or the capital.”

Theodore successfully made about a dozen of his inventions, finally settling on something a little larger than a tennis ball, which produced a respectable explosion. The main issue with the little glass explosives was that they would be difficult to transport. Even the slightest nick in the tail and they would violently explode. Nevertheless they would make a frightening weapon.

Now all that Theodore needed was a way to transport them back to the camp without setting them off.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Bonus Point(s): 0

"Enough!" Aldebaran cast a dark glare across the crowd, fixating on anybody who looked apt to open their mouth again to restart the argument. "You should be ashamed of yourselves. You're arguing with your neighbors, saying things not easily retracted, over a stranger. Look around you. These are the people you work and sweat and bleed alongside. I wager many of you don't necessarily like one another, but by the gods! You ought to stand together in the face of someone like me."

His own outburst surprised him, but it was heartening to have an honest emotional reaction. In his old life, he'd worked with many people. Most of them he couldn't honestly say were his friends, and no doubt they'd say the same of him. But they had stood together. He'd like to think they'd have still done so had they ever met someone like him.

"Now then. If you think me a demon, I can't rightly blame you. But I would prove my innocence of that if I can. Have you rites that can be performed, or a priest or seer you can consult? I'll submit myself to them freely."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Winston Smithers - The wilds around Snowend
BP: 0

Winston considered his feedback. Fear of disaster, fear of raids. Fear of losing their way of life. Fear of saboteurs and covert agents in particular was something he could use. Several themes he could knit together into a coherent message.

Tapping his fingers together, Winston started recording a rough draft for his message, to get a feel of the general tone he wanted to set.

"You are free, but you are not safe. You are independent, but you are disorganized. You are strong, but you are scattered. If your foundation is shattered into a million pieces, it matters not how strong of a material it is made of. It will be inevitably swept away as so much dust, just as your village, your very way of life will be swept away by any one of your enemies."

"For if the storm takes your house or leaves you stranded, who will be there for you? There is none to take care of you, for they care only about themselves and their own survival. Who will guard you against the caprice of nature?"

"For if the nomads strike at you, who will defend you? One moment of weakness is all they need to strike you down. If you cannot depend but on yourself, can you guarantee that will never happen? Who will keep you safe from the swords of your foes when you cannot?"

"For if the Empire sends its agents, how will you even notice before they bring you ruin? If all are secluded, you know not their intent. How can you be certain of your future if no-one keeps watch?"

"Is there anyone that can help you?"

"Perhaps the sigil of diamonds within diamonds is a place to look. Perhaps you have been too hasty in your judgment of it? It is not a sigil that is known to you. It is not an Imperial sigil. But you know it to be trustworthy. You know it to be something you can rely on to keep you safe. It only wishes the best for you."

The blacksmith, for his part, would get some more tailored messages in addition to the other ones.

"Perhaps you should tell your worries to your iron servant? Perhaps it could offer you counsel. After all, it is loyal to you and you alone. It would never lie to you, or lead you astray."

To top all of this off, Winston sent silent orders through the blacksmith's speaker to the iron golem. It would tell them that Winston could help them with their issues. It would tell them I was not Imperial. It would tell them that I could help them. It would tell them that it could contact him should they want it. However, it would only tell these things if clearly prompted, because appearing too pushy might seem suspicious.

Using Organized [+6] (Actually, I am uncertain if that quality is even relevant here. Seems a bit like a stretch to me.) to tailor my propaganda more specifically to the wants and fears of Snowend.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 30, 2015

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Theodore Beauregarde - the Camp

Theodore looked fondly upon his handiwork. Yes, these would do the job nicely. Now all he had to do was carry them back to... carry them to... carry...

Oh dear. This was what it had been like to handle nitroglycerin before they had come up with dynamite, wasn't it? The firedrops weren't quite so volatile as that, and he was fairly confident that they would not actually hurt *him*, but the entire point of this exercise wasn't for him to carry them. He could hardly ask people to go into battle with weapons that could just as easily explode in their hands as on the enemy. He stared at the drops for a while. Really, the only problem was that initial transportation--they would be more effective as an initial volley than as something you would toss into the melee anyways. So long as you could get it to the battle without the tail catching on something...

After some thought, he got up and headed back to the camp. When he returned some time later, it was with an armful of spears that he had managed to convince (with the aid of a few words from Haakon) the orc in charge of the weapon stores that he had a very pressing need for and that he would return them shortly. Dropping the spears on the ground, he plucked a tall blade of savannah grass, and toyed with it for a moment.

"Reasonable tensile strength, enough for what I require... but it shears easily. Excellent."

A white-hot flame sprang forth from his fingertip, and with it he burnt a small hole through the butt of a spear. Through this hole he ran a strand of grass, which he wrapped repeatedly around the bulb of a firedrop, up around the base of the tail and back through the hole again and again, binding it to the very end of the butt. Finishing the knot, he held the spear out at arm's length and shook it back and forth, wincing against the explosion that didn't come. It held. But if you twisted it just so... it easily came loose in your hand.

"And once again, Albian ingenuity carries the day," he smiled to himself as he retied the bulb, sticking the spear headfirst into the ground like a torch. Yes, this was ready for Haakon's eyes, and this would be a fine demonstration spot. In fact, it would be ready for quite a few other eyes as well. The fact that these eyes would come attached to arms that would be able to help carry these Firedrops back to the camp certainly didn't hurt.

I don't *think* this needs a roll... if it does you could *maybe* spin A True Gentleman [+4] as applying for general ingenuity, as could Genteel [-2] for "the most complicated knot you tie is your shoes", but it could easily just be a neutral roll.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 1, 2015

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
Adamas - On the road to adventure
BP:1

Adamas sees the horsemen but knows that hiding would solve nothing. Motioning to Karl to keep out of their way, Adamas decided to continue on.

We shall see what we shall see.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 5, 2015

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Bo Zhang - Bandit camp
BP 2

"Sounds like the thing to do. The capital seems to be a place where we don't want to be, so I suggest we'll head in the direction of Wexfold, give them something to remember, then just keep moving. And I'll tell you. they'll remember, we might forget because of the gigantic amount of booze we'll be swilling afterwards."

Then he catches something. "So... what's up with the dwarves? I mean, we had dwarves back home, but that was just people that grew up all messed up. They were usually scrawny little dudes. Nothing like you, and they definitely didn't have some kind of dwarven kingdom or something?" He looked at the shorter bearded guy.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

This seems to stump the village for a second, being chided by a maybe-demon over their incivility was something neither side truly expected. While someone runs to get the village priest, one of the people who had been advocating for Aldebaran explains, “Sorry, stranger. The whole town’s on edge. The elder’s taken sick with a high fever. The priest has been tending to him, but there’s fear it might be plague.”

Winston makes the adjustments in the message, whether it's effective is something only time will tell.

Theodore Beauregarde - the Camp

Theodore had stumbled upon an effective way to increase the reach of his Firedrops. By the time he returned with Haakon and a handful of other burly scarred orcs from the camps, the sun was beginning to set. The orcs stood ready to see Theodore’s wonderful new invention.

As the men get closer, Adamas can make out that they are definitely soldiers of some sort, their armor is marked by the device of a silver fist. As they approach him, they pause as they close enough to see his face. One pulls out a roll of vellum and examines it, looking first at Karl and then at you. When he sees you, he pauses, checking against the scroll, a surprised look on his face. Then he hurriedly unsheathes his blade. “Cur, you’re under arrest for high crimes. If you resist, I’ll end your worthless scum life right here.” His partner follows suit, surprised that they had found their target.

Bo Zhang - Bandit camp

“Well we’ll have to avoid Wexfold itself, it's the provincial capital and base for the most troops outside the capital, they recruit from a lot of the farming towns in the area. Fewer patrols than the Imperial demense though, Duke Wexfold is more interested in his own pockets than the security of the roads.”

When Zhang changes the subject to dwarves, Sabah looks at him like he’s crazy, and the dwarf just scowls at him, “What sort of backwater shithole did you grow up in where you’ve never heard of a dwarf?" Sabah asks. "They’re a whole separate race from mankind. Next thing you know you’re going to say you never heard of the elves or orcs either.”

“You have heard of them, right?” Sabah asks, worriedly.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
David Wells - Re-purposed Building

"They say that behind the face of a man can lie a demon..." David began, and reached into his powers of illusion. "And behind the face of a demon..." He continued and the dispelled his own illusion. "...can lie a man." As his own now monstrous form became apparent, he used his illusion to create a sense of holy light and tranquillity around them. Sound died down and became still and quiet, as the peace of the illusion added contrast and emphasis to his own form.

In his new form he added; "You have been raised to judge others by their appearances. Until you calm yourselves, and can think about this rationally it will be dangerous to run. And so I shall take your strength until you are ready to leave." It was important they didn't run, so he hexed them to find themselves unable to run away until they calmed down and considered this rationally. David was sure that if Gavin had chosen them, then they were decent people. But the last thing he and Gavin needed was one or more people running into town, and screaming about a demon and how Gavin had forsaken the Creator.

There was a risk in cursing them like this, but David was getting more familiar with his demonic powers and felt that he could manage to not horribly curse them.

Keeping the people here and calming them down as much as he can. Divine Strength [+2] and Hexes [+4] will keep them from running, while Illusion [+2] will create a calm and tranquil atmosphere with glowing holy light around them. On the other hand, the people still need to get over his Monstrous Appearance [-2]

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Adamas' eyebrows raised slightly. "I have no intention of fighting an armed group of soldiers. What are YOU talking about?"

It was odd that the only people to see his face clearly were quite literally dead lizards and their collaborators or that any likeness or rendering by any artist would be close to his likeness. But Adamas had encountered odder deus ex machina from the gods in his home, wherever that may have been.

Adamas paused with hands on his hips, "I want an explanation for your behavior. Now."

Mortal Quality: General +4, Statesman +2. Thin. Very thin these blusterers on horseback are.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 5, 2015

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Theodore Beauregarde - The Watering Hole

Theodore looked at his waiting audience, illuminated in the near-darkness by the light of the firedrop spears he had stuck into the earth as makeshift torches. Strangely, he felt calmer now than he had in his entire time since coming here. This was, at its core, a public scientific demonstration. Of a hopefully devastating weapon of war, it was true, but this was still the closest he had felt to being at home. He was in his element--or at least, in one of his elements.

"Thank you all for coming here today, please, do be careful of those lights, you'll see why soon. I know that I have a tendency to be long-winded, but if you'd care to indulge me, I'll try to keep it at least relatively brief. As I'm sure you don't need to be told, our... good friends, the Dukes Southport and Goldhill--they're very persistent. Time and again you have sent their men fleeing, and time and again they gather up a new force to send after you. Tales of your fearsome prowess in battle have no doubt spread, but still there does not seem to be an end to their ability to find soldiers willing to fight. These men, these mercenaries, they hear these stories and they think "Oh, they may be tough, but I'm made of sterner stuff than that. I'll win this for the Duke and get a big fat paycheque and probably a knighthood. They lose, of course, and they aren't willing to fight again--but that is only after they have already fought. What we need to do is terrify them into not even trying in the first place. But how?"

Theodore crouched down, and scooped up a handful of sand. Holding it to show the group, he melted it down, and with a flourish, dropped it into the water. Allowing it a moment to cool, he fished it out.

"This, my friends, is a... let us just call it a Tear for now. It was named after some long-dead prince back in Albia, but I don't particularly care about him, and you certainly have no reason to. The bulb of a Tear is quite strong--the inside wants to burst, but the shell is too hard for it--but should you disturb the tail... it explodes, like so. An interesting tidbit, to be sure, but as you can tell by the fact that I was holding it as it did so, not a particularly powerful or frightening one. But if that shell can hold back some glass... what if we add a little more to the mix?" he pulled out an empty standard-size tear that he had produced earlier. "This, unfortunately, is where the science ends, and the... I suppose it is magic--begins. While it is fragile, the tail is quite good at conducting this added energy right down into the bulb, where it is now stuck, despite wanting so very badly to get out." The Tear was glowing brightly now, the energy swirling within. Some members of the audience who had already grasped where things were going, backed away from the torches nervously.

"Yes, like I said, do be careful. It is quite safe as long as you respect the danger, but it requires caution. Haakon, you've got quite an arm on you. Would you mind throwing this at that bank of dirt over there? Good and hard, now."

Haakon gingerly took the orb from Theodore, gazing into its depths before sizing up the distance to the target. With a compact, efficient motion, he hurled the Tear into the bank.

The resulting blast of flame was not overly loud nor did it pack a great deal of concussive force, but to say that it was noticeable was a supreme understatement. The tall bank was a roaring sea of flame, burning despite having no apparent fuel. Theodore watched as it slowly subsided, leaving the earth below charred black, then turned back to the group.

"Wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of that, now, would we?" he said cheerfully. "Now, there are some practical issues, of course. I'm sure you're not exactly comfortable with the idea of carrying an explosion like that in your back pocket, not with a fragile trigger. To that end, I have attached the Tears... Tears of Albia perhaps? Theodore Beauregarde's Patented Tears of Fire? Hm. In any case, I have tied them to the less point end of some spears for the time being. They're on there quite firmly, but if you just grab and twist..." he demonstrated with a Tear set next to him. He really had prepared this rather well. "It comes free easily, ready to rain down on any mercenary or cavalryman who thinks he's tough enough to take you on. And while collateral damage is something of a worry, a single volley of these at the start of a fight should be quite sufficient to turn odds in our favor, well before there's any chance of friendly fire. Should you wish to go ahead on this with me, I'm sure I'll be able to produce some plain glass spheres to practice your aim. Any questions?"

The crowd was silent.

"Comments?"

Silence again.

"Concerns?"

This time, a voice spoke up, from somebody in the middle of the crowd that Theodore couldn't quite make out. "Yeah, I got one! Your name for them sucks!" This met with cheers of assent.

"Yes well, that's hardly a major issue right n--"

"What do we call them, then?" came a second voice.

"Well, look at those teeth on him! It should be obvious! And you heard his name, too!"

Theodore was taken aback. His tusks were quite impressive--he certainly took pains to ensure that was the case--but it was still rather rude to go and point that out directly. Where was this person going with th--

"They're the Tears of the Boar!" this met with applause, and a short lived chant of repetition. Tears of the Boar! Tears of the Boar!

Theodore frowned. Yes, if you mangled his name just so, you could conceivably arrive at that point, but there were limits to the impropriety he could accept. He was just about to speak up when Haakon leaned close to him.

"I can guess what you're about to say, and you're better off keeping it shut. Trust me, it's better this way."

Theodore sighed, resigning himself to the nickname. It could always be worse.

Using A True Gentleman [+4] and And a Scholar [+2] to speech so well I overcome the first impression and go from "This guy is incredibly strange and soft as poo poo" to "The Boar is going to send the Dukes a message they're gonna remember!" Let's get that reputation train rolling--between this and the tower being a glimpse of things to come, they should have a sense of anticipation for whatever comes next.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

The Count sighs as he comes out of his repast and sees that very little had been done with the metal. He would have to import a carpenter or other tool maker to the island soon, but for now he would do his best with the limited resources he had. He moved to one of the bigger rocks and chanted, calling upon Gaia to bring forth what he needed, namely two more axes and ten picks.

Change +2 and Esoteric Knowledge +4 to tool up my guys

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

It seems Gavin had picked out the right people, because even before you cursed them they neither ran nor screamed. There was surprise certainly.

“You… you weren’t kidding.” the man who had spoken early manages to say to Gavin.

Then the curse sank in, and the men soon found themselves sitting, unable to muster the strength to stand. Though it might not have been strictly necessary with this group, the curse did have the benefit of helping to convince them of your divinity. By the time your speech was done, you could feel something from them. It wasn’t worship, not yet, but you could feel they were on the brink.

“Who… what are you? What do you want?” The same man as before, the unofficial leader of the group, asked.

Enjoy your bonus point.

“Quiet, scum.” The guard smashes you with the hilt of his blade, and you stumble backwards falling to your knees in the face of the blow. “I have a depiction we received from the capital itself via carrier-bird, resist again and I’ll cut your drat head off.” Time seems to slow down, you’ve felt the rush of combat before and this is no different. In the corner of your eye, you can see Karl his face a mask of rage, murder in his eyes, you’ve seen it before, he’s about to leap at the guards, throw himself at them in hopes of buying you a chance to escape or at least punish them for having the temerity to strike God.

You have but a moment before the situation explodes.

Theodore Beauregarde - The Watering Hole

Haakon laughs deeply at the nickname, but you can see the approval in his eyes. The other orcs are impressed as well, they clearly respect you more than they did before.

After things break up, and the other orcs leave to carry back the remaining Boar’s Tears back to the camp, Haakon approaches you.

quote:

Haakon: “The Boar, I like it. Though, it's gonna take more than just your magicks to make that name stick. If you want to really make this work, you’ll need to look the part, and fight like it too.”

***Theodore's face falls a bit at the prospect of actual combat, but he steels his resolve. “I... had guessed that that would be the case. Unfortunately, I can't exactly call that my strong suit. I'm not exactly a physical slouch, but I don't imagine these are going to be orderly fisticuffs that we'll be engaging in.”

***Haakon seems pensive. "Well, that's something I can correct, presuming you're willing to learn."

Theodore: “My entire life I've been a scholar. Learning is what I do best.”

Theodore: “Though... I'm going to tell you right now that I want you to hold me to that later, because I have no illusions about this being remotely fun. But my father once told me that life is a series of choices between things you don't want to do, and things you really don't want to do. And I *really* don't want to let this all fall to pieces because I wasn't man enough to learn to fight.”

Haakon: "A wise man, though I think you'll find there's a certain enjoyment that comes from growing skill and deadly prowess comes with a confidence nothing else can match. The other thing we'll have to work on is your look. I'm sure it's perfectly fine where you're from but the way your dressed is not in the least bit intimidating or befitting the name you're trying to cultivate for yourself. Worse, it's impractical. It restricts your movement without offering any real protection from a blade."

Theodore: “Now that... that is more painful than any sword wound. Significantly less deadly, I'll admit, but more painful.”

Theodore: “To that end, I'll concede the point that at times where action is to be expected, I'll wear something more appropriate. But in peace? The only way you're going to get me out of these clothes in peacetime is going to be tearing your way back into my home... world... breaking into my house, ransacking my wardrobe, and bringing me another suit, at which point I will wear them on alternate days.

Haakon: "Look, you're trying to make a name for yourself. Earn the respect of not just this camp, but all our kind. More than that you're trying strike fear into the hearts of your enemies. Image is a major part of that, and that..." he gestures at your suit, "Makes you look like a noble's fool. Also, unless you have access to that wardrobe you're talking about will fall apart under day to day stress in weeks."

Haakon: "I'm not telling you to burn it or anything, but its not something you're going to be able to wear on a regular basis either way."

Theodore: “That... is an unfortunate truth. You're very good at those, Haakon. But regarding reputation… The Boar is one... facet, one aspect of who I am. It is a role I can fill, to be sure. But there is more to me than that. There has to be, or I am myself no longer. It's like... it's like... it's like well, fire.”

Theodore: "Certainly you can use it to destroy" Theodore gestures to the blackened bank "But if that's all there was to it, it wouldn't be very useful, would it? Fire turns ore to metal, raw meat into edible food... it provides light, warmth, power… So while for now, I fulfill the role of the Boar, I know that I have so much more that I can give than just... that.

Theodore: “But until the savannah is secure from those who would force us off of it, anything I do is just... just... I don't know. Temporary. Ephemeral. Abstract. I have to be able to set this aside at some point.”

Theodore: “So I'll do as you say. I'll build this reputation. But I won't stop being myself to do it.”

***Haakon looks at you askance. "I never asked you to stop being you completely, but this sort of thing you set aside once your done. You'll never stop being the Boar if you do this." He pauses for a second, as if considering, but then he continues a secret hope shining in his eye, "But if you do this right, prove yourself strong enough, fearsome enough, create a name that rings across the continent you might be able to truly unite our people. We have never been united under one banner in our history, but I see something in you, and I think you might be the one to do it. You'd change us, and in the process of this we'd change you, but we'd both be more than before." He looks at you, unsure as to whether you're willing to accept this burden.

Theodore: “Haven't I made it clear, Haakon? I'm insatiable. I'll never be satisfied with less than the most I can possibly accomplish. Maybe not even then. And when we're united... I've seen that, before. Back at home. Seen what we're capable of.”

Theodore: “From what I have heard this Empire... this human Empire... it spans the greater part of this land. But I can guarantee you, without having seen it even once, that it pales in every comparison to Albia's majesty. We can, in whatever way we wish, reach that peak again. I can find the way.”

Theodore: “And... you know, it's funny. I never thought I would get to see a human. They were gone from the world hundreds of years before I was born. They may seem mighty, and we may seem fractured in comparison, but that is not some immutable law.”

Theodore: “So let's see how far the trail goes, shall we? After all,” Theodore ignites a ball of flame in his hand. He did have a flair for the dramatic, after all. We'll have plenty of light along the way.

***Haakon shakes his head. "Overthrowing an empire that's ruled unchallenged for as long as memory, you certainly do dream big. If you're going to do it though, you need to be willing to change, we're not the people you know, this is not the world you know. I believe your story now, but don't try and make us that place, it'll be brittle and our dream will crumble under the weight of what was. I want your word, that you'll be willing to change for me and for our people. You'll change us too, but I won't let the orcs be your tool to relive your past."

Theodore: “Ha. I may know a lot, but there's plenty I wouldn't even begin to know how to recreate. I'm no mechanic. And I don't aim to be some tyrant imposing his will on you. I'll be but one citizen of whatever it is we build. I'll make my voice heard, and you can bet I'll be yelling awfully loud. But it won't be alone. If it were alone, well, what would be the point?”

***Haakon smiles, "You'll be more than one citizen. If this works, it'll be your banner our people rally to. I wouldn't be surprised if you're named king or some such thing. However, if you want my aid this has to be a two-way street. You'll change us, but we'll change you. Now, I ask again, will you swear on your life that you'll do this? If you do, I will swear on mine that I will do everything in my power to make this a reality."

Theodore: “I'll swear on everything I've got, Haakon. I lost just about everything coming here. All that I've got left, all that I've picked up along the way... it all goes to this. We *will* make this happen.”

***Haakon's smile broadens, "Then let's get back to camp. You'll need some rest tonight, 'Boar' because tomorrow your training starts, and I'll be merciless. When I'm done you'll be fearsome with blade, and you'll've put on some serious muscle too."

Theodore: "What, you mean this rippling physique isn't going to be enough?" Theodore jokes. "That's it, my next projected is going to be reinventing the still, because after what I'm going to go through... I think we'll all need a really stiff drink."

Upon returning to the camp, Theodore finds a little celebration in progress. It would appear that the camp had some source of liquor because there was a glass bottle being passed around. Haakon grabbed it and handed it to Theodore, and at his urging Theordore takes a drink. It doesn’t taste like any spirit you’ve ever tasted before, but like a strong whisky it burns going down.

The next morning, Theodore awakens to Haakon jostling him. “Time to wake up, you’re training starts in an hour, about 15 minutes south of the camp is nice spot we use to train new recruits, got some shade and the predators avoid it. Best of all for you it’s got some privacy so you can ease into this whole fighting thing without too much of an audience.”

Haakon tosses you a breechcloth similar to what you had seen some of the other orcs wearing and a wooden sword. “Be ready to work hard, and be on time or I’ll make you regret it.” He says as he heads off.

Your followers thanked you profusely for your blessing of additional tools, which they found to be every bit as good as their metal counterpart might be. They quickly set to work, and soon there was some raw iron and copper before you. They looked to you, for they were farmers and pirates, ask them to sow a field or man a ship and they would be ready, but they were not refiners or smiths, and they knew not what to do with the metal you had instructed them to gather.

On the positive side, the construction of the settlement around Schwarzfort was largely complete. Though the structures were primitive, there were now enough to house all 50 of your followers.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

"No Karl!" Adamas says as he turns his full regard to the solider. Adamas' eyes shone with fury as he looked hatred at the guard that stuck him. "Do to yourself: Everything you've done, wanted to or planned to do to me; TENFOLD"

Divine Quality: Command +2, Mortal Quality: General +4 :moments:

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Karl freezes. Disobedience so foreign to his nature now as to be inconceivable.

The guard shivers as the Command overwhelms his will. He steps down from his horse, and then slowly, methodically he begins to dismember himself with the blade. Calmly, cruelly he maimed himself, not letting pain stop him. However, his companion, strikes you with his blade. You dodge for the most part, but the very tip of the long-blade slashes its way across your face, from you cheek upwards across your eye(missing your eye itself by less than an inch). You know from experience that this sort of wound is mostly superficial but it will leave a scar. You don’t have time to worry about that though, or the fate of the guard who you’re punishing. The other guard winds up to strike at you again, no doubt hoping to inflict a more serious wound.

Second guard rolled low to hit you, but it was close.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Adamas - Fury Road

Hissing in pain, Adamas knew giving mercy to the second guard was a mistake. But mistakes could be...corrected. Moving to get some distance and a terrible smile forming on his face, Adamas didn't even draw his sword. "Thinking of harming me causes you unearthly torment beyond anything imaginable."

"Are. You. A. God?" Adamas screams at the man. Something starting to take hold in his mind.

Divine Quality: Command +2

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

This did change things. If the people had to contend with a plague, the worries about a creature like him were all the more understandable. He would have to step carefully lest they get the idea in their heads that he was to blame for it.

Still. It was the chink in the armor, so to speak. A way to ingratiate himself to these people.

"Plague you say? Forgive me, I'm a stranger to these lands. I've not heard of any plague. Is there a cure to be had, or is it simply a matter of strength and prayer?" Aldebaran squatted down to make himself a bit less intimidating. "My own lands have had their fair share of such things. I will help if I am able, but I am no doctor."

Aldebaran will discuss this as much as anyone feels comfortable talking about it while he waits for the priest.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

The Count nods at the growing pile of metal and points to one of the larger houses.
"Stockpile it there, those that live with it are responsible for guarding it. Any who would steal metal from the pile are against the community and the vilest sort of heretics: traitors. Now, cut down the largest three trees on the island and bring them to the beach. Some of you were sailors once, yes? Then you will be so again."

Having the metal be stockpiled in one of the larger houses. Also asking for my people to cut down the three largest trees on the island and drag them to the beach. Gonna make some boats.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Adamas - Road west of Zillar

The man shivers as the Command batters its way into his mind. Then he spasms violently, screaming in agony. The spasming continues, and he quickly loses balance, spooking his horse in the process. His horse rears up, throwing him and then bolts. The man hits the ground hard, still spasming uncontrollably. The first guard is already dead from self-inflicted torture, and the second has been neutralized.

“It’s been ten years since the last plague, but when merchants come through they mention rumors that plague is starting to appear in the capital. Then the elder collapses into high fever, people are afraid it might be the start of plague here. There’s not much we can do but pray.”

A wizened old man in simple robes soon is brought before you. “So you are the demon that wishes to be exercised?” He asks. “I can’t say I ever heard of such a thing, but I am happy to grant you the Creator’s blessings if that is what you wish.”

With the help of the Fenrir, three large trees are felled and dragged down to the beach. The people look to you, eager to see what you plan to do with them.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

"Karl, disarm our friend here. Secure him to keep him from hurting himself. I want to have a chat when he comes out of this..."

Waiting...

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 5, 2015

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Winston took some time to monitor the village via the lenses and the speakers to determine if his message seemed to be taking hold.

Using Organized [+6] to peep on the villagers in an attempt to see if my plan is working.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

As you look the man over you can see that in the fall he has clearly broken his arm. However, other than that he appears to be fine. We as fine as a man unstoppably spasming as he screams in inhuman pain can be. Karl holds him down, preventing him from hurting himself further in his thrashing.

About an hour later, he goes through the waking you have seen before when Command’s abate. At last the spasming ends, and he turns to face you, fear in his eyes. “Please, please don’t hurt me anymore, please, I beg you.” He whimpers, clearly a broken man.

As Winston watches, he again is hampered by being unable to see inside. Though there is a bit more movement than the previous day. As you examine the scraps of information you get from the Snowenders few sojourns into view of your lenses, you realize they seem a bit more nervous and on edge. You can also make out the smith, talking with the iron golem you made him while he’s working.

It’s a subtle thing, but is possible your messages are having an impact, but you don’t have enough surveillance where the people actually are to know for certain.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

"This may be hard to explain, but I simply turned the evils you would do to me on yourself. I wouldn't have been able to do it otherwise." Turning to Karl Adamas had him go through their packs to put the guard's arm in a proper sling. "Karl will see to your arm." Thinking on the man's broken state and that it would be a waste to just kill him...

"Alright, I will try to explain to give you some understanding. I am a god. A new one. Whatever you may have heard, you don't have the whole story. I guarantee it." Adamas sat a short distance from the guard. "Tell me, what is it people think I have done? I can ease your pain momentarily if you wish but you'll need to be careful not to do further damage to your arm."

Well lots of stick, let's try carrot.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

It could not be helped.The lenses had to be moved. Come night time, Winston organized yet another sneaking mission. The little wooden golems were to infiltrate the more important looking buildings and hide lenses inside of them. And just as last time, the golems would prioritize stealth over the mission objective. If they were seen now, it would greatly hamper Winston's efforts.

Using Organized [+6] hide the lenses inside important looking buildings with wooden golem infiltrators.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

When Adamas speaks to him, he just screams and shakes in fear. “Please, please, don’t do it again, I’ll do anything you want just don’t hurt me.” He’s clearly not listening to you, the fear too much for him.

This time the golems were less effective, the lenses were larger and harder to hide effectively while also providing a sufficient field of view. The tavern was easily enough, and the Smith was also fairly straightforward. However, in the end the golems were unable to infiltrate the Village Chief’s house, or the tanner. The rest of the lenses were scattered more or less randomly throughout the village. At least he was able to see inside now, and as far as Winston can tell the movement when undetected.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

He was surprised that people were so...calm, relatively speaking anyway. Everyone else had been hysterical. It made David feel slightly better about himself and his new form. What are you? A relatively simple question and one David had thought a lot about, but also not properly considered. He was still David for the most part, but there were parts of him clearly not David.

"I am from another world. A world in many ways like this one, but in other ways very different. In this world I found myself in this body, a body with powers that some would call a demon. But I have seen terrible things, a town destroyed by pillaging bandits, women and children killed in cold blood. I want to help people. They can be weak and do terrible things, but they also have the capacity for great compassion, love and kindness. As I have taken away your strength, I can do other things as well. I can compel a man that thinks of stealing to speak only the truth of what he has taken, or cause a man that beats others to suffer the pain he inflicts upon them twofold. With these powers I will help people to overcome themselves and to be better people. We can change the world and make it a better place, with your help."

Fortunately this time David had time to plan his speech. It did not come out quite the way he had planned, but he was not reading off of a sheet either and had been expecting more fearful an audience. In hindsight he would reflect that this sounded like a cult leader indoctrinating their cult. But in the moment, he just wanted to convince them to help him.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Winston got to work. He would spy on the villagers, cutting off the propaganda feed on the relevant speakers when he saw a conversation going on (especially the conversations between the iron golem and the blacksmith) and use the speakers to spy on the conversation in question. The propaganda feed would be turned back on after the conversation ended or after it became uninteresting. Winston would also take notes on their indoors behaviour to figure out if the vilalgers seemed erratic or worried.

Using Organized [+6] to listen on in the villagers when they are having conversations and to generally spy on them.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Aldebaran inclined his head in respect. "Good day, Father. I'm no demon. I am...was, just a man. Aldebaran by name. Events beyond my ken led me here, in this form." Unconsciously, the longer tentacles sprouting from the back of his skull made a shrugging gesture before returning to their idle undulations.

"There is nothing I can say or do to prove to you I am no hell-spawn. You have no doubt been informed of my demonstration? Innocent of darker motives. But if your tales are anything like mine, demons are fond of tempting mortals with gifts. So I ask. If you have means to determine my nature and prove my good intentions, I will accede to it."

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Theodore stared at the breechcloth for a very long time. Somebody with a poor sense of humor had crudely drawn a boar on it with charcoal. Harsh physical labor he could do. Wounds he could bear. But this... he sighed. For now, he had a part to play. Before these people would understand the utility of Theodore Beauregarde, they had need of the Boar. And besides, Haakon was right. If he wore his true clothes too often, they would simply wear out, and then where would he be?

Doing his best not to think about it too hard, he got dressed, his good clothes carefully folded and piled up. To his credit, while he did not have the sheer mass of some of the other orcs, he was in excellent physical form, all carefully maintained musculature and unmarked skin. Grimly, he took up his sword and headed to the training grounds. There was work to be done.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

The men seem to approve of your message and they are receptive to your teachings. However, when you finish your speech their leader speaks up. “Your teachings seem good and righteous, and me and mine may be willing to follow you, but you still did not answer my question. What are you? Are you as Gavin states, the true God come to show us the correct path?”

This time Winston’s spying was more effective, and his earlier supposition was confirmed. Everyone was more on edge, the snippets of conversation he did hear were all to often focused on the threat of one kind of disaster or another and people’s fear about their possibility to respond. In one particularly enlightening moment, he caught the burly innkeep subconsciously tracing what he soon recognized as a diamond in a diamond with his finger, whenever he seemed particularly nervous. The ritual seemed to calm him.

The Blacksmith was not particularly different from the rest of the town, sharing his fears and troubles with the golem which remained silent, not having yet spoken.

The priest raises his holy symbol, “In the name of the Creator who forged the heavens and the earth and holds dominion over all within it, demon I cast you out.”

Nothing happens. This seems to confuse the priest, and he attempts the exorcism again. When again nothing happens, he speaks to you. “Well, it would appear you are no demon, however that does not answer what you are, for it is clear to my eyes you are no man. Perhaps you are some abomination born from the Magocracy’s profane experiments, but I cannot say for certain. All I can say, is that I was informed you wish to speak with the Elder. Well, unfortunately, he is no condition to speak to anyone. I stay and pray over him, but he shows no signs of recover. All I can do is pray and hope it is not plague.”

The walk to the training ground was uneventful. The sun was just risen, and a cool breeze blew across the savannah. In different circumstances it might seem like something out of a poem or novel, but Theodore was here on less relaxing business.

He found Haakon there, dressed in a similar breechcloth, also carrying a wooden sword. Haakon looked Theodore over appraisingly, “It would appear I have better material to work with than I initially feared. Also, it’s good you’re on time, make a habit of it. If you want to be ready for the next time one of the Dukes get greedy we’re going to need every hour of training we can possibly squeeze in.”

He raises his wooden blade, “These are the training blades we use, they’re light enough that even a strong hit won’t seriously injure you, but they will hurt like hell. You’re starting off in just a cloth, just like all our recruits. You’ve got to earn your armor. We do this because you’ve got to learn to move before you deal with the additional weight of armor, and because pain is an effective teacher.”

“Now, lets begin with seeing where you are. I want you to come at me and try and strike me with everything that you got, though none of that fire stuff. That’ll let me see how you handle a blade and where we need to start.”

Haakon falls into a ready stance, “Now. Begin.”

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

"Be calm, cool, aware, and collected; The pain you feel is minimal." Adamas tried a lighter touch, something to take the edge off. He would get nowhere if the soldier was a basket case.

"Is that better? I can be reasonable, now you can answer me."

Divine Quality: Command +2, Mortal Quality: Statesman +2. Lets try this again!

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

"I don't know." David said honestly. "I have powers that belong to a god or demon, but the True God? We had one where I came from as well. Do you know what he did? Nothing. Evil men claimed magic tricks and freak happenstance as divine miracles, twisting people to do their wills. They made up their own words of god, lied to justify their crimes and sins."

He didn't want to lie, but remembered how Gavin had become lost and confused when David had challenged his world view too much.

"If that's what you're looking for, then no, I'm no true God. I am something else, something real that walks among you with real power. Someone who actually cares about your troubles and your pain. Someone who truly wants to help, and to show people the correct path. Where was the Creator when Gavin sought to banish me, thinking me some kind of demon come to take his life? If he even exists he did not lift a finger to help him. I have given Gavin a gift, that should any try to strike him down they shall find themselves as weak as a newborn child. Maybe that makes me a god. Maybe that makes me something else."

Then a thought occurred to David, one he had not thought about and one that changed things substantially.

"Just as I have come to this world, so might others. I am sure they will not be as kind as I. The Creator will offer you no protection against them, but I can. If you follow me, if you give me your strength as I will give you the strength to live correctly and to help others, then I will protect you."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Bo Zhang - Bandit camp
BP 2

Hah, I'm from the shittiest, smallest backwater you've ever laid eyes on. Not much to do except watching the rice grow there. But when I was younger and dumber I walked around with an army some time, trying to put our Emperor's head on a pike. Saw a map once, and the only other Emperor I heard of is of some island called Riben. So I figure I'm just really far away from home, and they've got no dwarfs or elves or orcs where I'm from." He had considered lying, but if they called his bluff and asked him something about it, it'd be worse. "But well, let's just say that I made a deliberate decision to get as far away from home as possible after what I'd managed to pull, and I managed to get plenty far. So, dwarfs, orcs and elves. Anything I should know about them? They die like any man when stabbed or shot, right? I know the dwarfs got gold, what about the elves and orcs? Any of them make good booze? Or other stuff to enjoy yourself."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

"Then I should not take up any more of your time. Is there someone else I can speak with about local matters? I would know more of this Empire and...Magocracy." The term was unfamiliar to him but it was obviously important. And from the sound of it, to be kept away from. "Perhaps in introduction to a local witch-woman?"

He wasn't sure if the old man would have any idea what he was referring to. In his country they also had priests, of course. But they were strictly concerned with religious matters - and all to often, lining their own pockets. When one needed insights into more earthly matters, a ward against foul spirits for a newborn, or simply a cure for warts, one consulted a witch-woman. They were fickle by nature, and their costs unpredictable, but they were by and large trustworthy. And who knew? If such women did exist here, it may be she would know of a cure for the elder. Such a thing would be ruinously costly. If not actual money, then in in something else. It would not be surprising if this village was simply unable or unwilling to pay.

A few more questions. If referred to someone else about the Empire and Magocracy, Aldebaran is fine with a very basic explanation. He just needs to know enough to avoid the most obvious potential pitfalls.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

The man shivered as the Command asserted itself, then he visibly calmed down. In a calm measured manner he answered. “You’re wanted on charges of murder and insurrection. The scroll said you’d cold bloodedly massacred an entire building in the capital and then slew 9 guards using some sort of magic.” The man was cooperating, but you could see in his eyes that even if no longer felt it he still intellectually understood he should be terrified of you. “Because of that, and because of what you did to my partner I hate you, but I know that you hurt me when I hate you. I’ll do anything you want to stop you from hurting me again, but I can’t make myself stop hating you. Please don’t punish me again, I don’t know how to do what you want.”

This seemed to be enough for the men. They knelt down before you, the leader speaking, “Then we will follow you, we renounce the Creator and swear ourselves to you, Lord.” You feel a rush of worship from them, “Your teaching is righteous, Lord. What can we do to make the world you seek a reality?”

Five new follower for you.

Bo Zhang - Bandit camp

“You really don’t know?” Sabah seemed incredulous for a moment, but then connects some mental dots. “You must really not be around here. I suppose that would explain why you thought going after the Emperor’s gold would be a wise plan. You’ve seen some dwarves, Elves live in the forests to the far south west of the continent, they’re arrogant prigs, but they keep to themselves for the most part. I’ve never met one, but I hear they fear the other races for some reason. They’re pretty much tall pretty humans with pointy ears. Orcs are big and green and tough, they live to the far south. Never actually seen one. The savanah down there is one of the few lands the Empire doesn’t control, but rumor says they don’t take kindly to bandits.”

When Zhang changes the subject to more pleasurable pursuits, Sabah smiles, “Well, lots of different types of booze to go around. Dwarves make the best beer and ale you’ll ever drink. I’ve never had elven spirits, but I hear the nobles like them. Orcish liquor is hard to get, but I’ve had one kind once. It packed one hell of a kick, doesn’t taste like any other booze I’ve ever hard. Supposedly it’s made from some plant that grows on the savannah.

“We ain’t got no Magi here.” The priest bristles. “The nobles and the army might tolerate them, but the common folk know better than to trust a sinner like that. It’s good that they’re not so common as to go around bothering righteous folks like these.”

Recovering his composure, the priest continues, “If you have questions I’ll answer as best I can. I suppose something must have screwed with your mind if you’ve never heard of the Empire. It rules the whole continent, and has for as long as memory, at least a thousand years. All the nobles pay fealty to the Empire, and are expected to abide by its laws.”

Turning to the other part of Aldebaran’s question the priest’s tone turns more venemous, it’s clear he holds no love for the Magocracy. “The Magocracy are a kingdom of Magi that live on a chain of islands out in the sea. Always hearing about some fresh perversion or outrage they’re up to. They swear fealty to the Emperor as well. Why the Emperor tolerates them and doesn’t just put them all to the sword is a question beyond my station. You’d stay away from them if you’re wise. If you really are some escaped experiment who knows what they’d do to you, and if you’re not they’d probably just cut you up to see how you work inside.”

“Now, if there’s nothing else you want to know please leave this village in peace.”

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

David almost shuddered with pleasure as the men dedicated themselves to following him. It was something to do with belief, or worship then. He knew it was wrong to try and amass a cult following, but he could not deny the high that he was getting. Besides, he was helping them as well. It wasn't like he was some junkie destroying himself and those around him. But he had promised to give them the strength to live properly, and he needed to follow up on his word lest he be as hollow and false as the gods he had just denounced.

"First I will give you a gift, to help you in your tasks." He said and tried to give them a kind of strength, not a curse but just a blessing. He'd done some stuff already like it, and it had felt...easier and more intrinsic to him than the cursing or illusions had. Maybe this was his power that made him a god...or at least to the minds of the people? "You will be my six apostles, lead by Gavin to spread my words and my work."

Using Divine Strength [+2] to give these six followers the strength to live just and moral lives. I'll throw in my Bonus Dice as well because this seems like a fun action.

I don't know if my Monstrous Visage [-2] would have a risk of rubbing off on them or not though, David isn't intending to.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Aldebaran was about to object that a witch-woman was not remotely the same as whatever the priest apparently thought they were, but he held his tongue. It was obvious the man was not the sort to worry about such delineations.

"Very well. My good wishes to your headman if he'll have them."

Rising, Aldebaran nodded politely to the old priest and any villagers that remained, than stalked back towards the shore. He'd learned a bit, but hadn't gotten what he'd hoped for. As it was, without someone with pull to speak on his behalf, heading into a city proper was probably a death sentence. This Magocracy sounded as though they'd be understanding of his situation. Understanding, and deadly curious. He'd heard of the practice of vivisection, and had no desire to find out more firsthand. So where did that leave him? Back, it would seem, to safer harbors. Vanishing into the far reaches of the ocean was also an option. He'd be safe there. But what sort of choice was that? He'd find no answers there. That, and regardless of his form he was still human at heart. Isolating himself from others would drive him mad sooner or later. What a sorry end that would be.

Diving into the waters he gave silent thanks again to his newfound endurance. It would be many days returning, but they would pass quickly enough with his speed.

Aldebaran will return to the first village he stopped at. He will skirt the second; he is still uncomfortable with what happened there. He will make sure to take the time to feed and rest along the way.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

"Well, I enjoy knowing no matter what I say or do your order or whatever won't believe it or me. I killed those 'bankers' because they were shape shifting lizard infiltrators. Then your comrades helped me in the wake of their attack get to the barracks. They then we're going to murder me so I turned it against them. Just like I did to your partner. Just like I did to you. That's how it works."

Adamas looked to see if it was going to set in. "You turned against a true god, you're going to get its wrath." It was time to end this step by step. "Helping me will make you feel good; the opposite of the worst I've done to you."

"You're going to take me in. I'm turning myself in. I'll go willingly. But you're going to take me to the highest concentration of you outside of Zillar to do it. I dont trust the people in Zillar wont lynch me before my hearing. That's the only way you can help me now."

"Tell Karl where this will be, so he can visit me while I'm there." He turned to Karl and whispered to him. "Find a safe house nearby where I will be going after the guard tells us. I'll give you a head start."

Divine Quality: Command +2 ; Mortal Quality: Statesman +2: Reasoning Ok, we'll we're going on a field trip. But not into the lion's den.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 2, 2015

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Theodore Beauregarde - The Training Grounds

If there was one positive to be taken from Theodore's initial performance, it was his footwork. He had not been a professional boxer by any means--actual prize-fighting was rather undignified for a man of his status, after all--but he had been a very well-respected amateur. As he carefully circled around Haakon, it was clear that unlike a complete novice, he was keenly aware of how his legs were positioned and what that allowed him to do, which foot was his pivot, how long his steps were, and even the mechanics of how his feet touched or left the ground. That was one very agonizing piece of training that could be glossed over, which would save quite a lot of time.

However, for as much prowess he displayed in that aspect of fundamentals, it was equally clear that he had no idea how to handle an actual blade. He was constantly adjusting his grip, trying to figure out just where to hold it to defend himself while still being in position to take a swing. When he finally did lash out, while he was doing a fair job of putting his weight and momentum behind it, he was constantly fighting an instinct to just drop the blasted sword and just use his fists instead. If it didn't completely defeat the purpose of the exercise, and if bare hands were anything but entirely ineffective at stopping weapons, that might not have been the worst idea, but as it was he had to take swing after swing, each one easily parried by Haakon.

"Come on now, you can hit harder than that!"

Rising to Haakon's words, Theodore brought a mighty overhead swing down, clashing against the block. The resulting reverberation forced the wooden blade from his hands, and Haakon's sword slammed into the side of his now-unguarded head.

"Nice try. Let that be your first lesson."

A True Gentleman [+4], to apply Theodore's amateur experience in the ring to learning this new endeavor. Too bad he didn't take up fencing instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

There was a great outflowing of power, David could feel it welling up from within him and flowing into his followers. They could feel it too, and you could feel their worship increase as they were exposed to your divine power first-hand, whatever doubts they had left washed away. As your power flowed into them, they began to change. First was the invisible change, you could feel it in them a sense of righteousness growing strengthening, they would be upright, true and honorable. Equally kindness and compassion blossomed in their soul, everything to make them resonate with your teachings.

At the same time there was a more visible change, as their bodies changed, for strength of character without the strength to defend their ideals would never be able to truly live out those ideals. So, they grew more muscular, more physically powerful and tougher. However, they did not become freakish or monstrous as David feared. Quite the opposite, when the change was finished they could best be described as statuesque, like something from a heroic sculpture.

In both cases the one most profoundly changed was Gavin, he received the greatest share of the power you poured out. More than the others he would find a righteous and kind nature as simple as breathing, and he was the strongest of them all, looking like an action hero from a movie.

All of them were overwhelmed by the changes, but it was Gavin who was the first to respond, leading them in prayer to you.

It was long and hard, swimming with little else to break up the work except eating and sleeping. The trip back was longer than down, because Aldebaran gave the second town wide berth, but he could still feel the waves of worship emanating from it.

However after several days Aldebaran begins to recognize the coastline near where he initially washed up, coming to the shore, he sees the village. As soon as he’s spotted, someone runs to alert the rest of the village. However, unlike the response he had found elsewhere, here he was not met by a makeshift militia, but rather by a huge happy welcoming committee. This is a place where he can rest easy, for his previous miracle has endeared him deeply to the town.

The guard shivers as the new Command assets itself, and his calm dissolves back into terror. However, this abates slightly as the torture doesn’t come, but instead a wonderful indescribable feeling. “There’s a fort, about a week’s travel from here. Most of Demense Guard are scattered throughout the roads patrolling, but we have forts in each of the cardinal directions from the city, our local patrols are based out of there.”

After finding out your destination, Karl bows, “Your will be done, God.” He heads off to locate a safehouse.

The guard, cringingly obedient, begins to lead the way. However, after only two hours he “wakes up” and collapses back into debilitating terror. It seems without the boost of your Command, he’s barely able to function. You know that unless you can find a way to get him to accept a permanent command he’ll be a mindless thrall like Miller long before you reach the fort.

Theodore Beauregarde - The Training Grounds

“Well, it could be worse,” Haakon says after a couple of sparring sessions, “but it's gonna take some work.” The rest of the day is spent in strenuous training. Haakon mixes thing up never letting Theodore get comfortable. They spend time practicing holding a blade, basic swings and strength training with stone weights, by the time midday rolls around, Theodore is starving and soaked in sweat. Haakon, tosses him a small package and a leather canteen filled with water. Inside the hide package was dried meats, a little bit of unleavened bread, and a green mash smelling strongly of grasses and herbs.

“Be sure to eat it all, especially the mash. It’s a mixture that doesn’t taste great, but it’ll help you build muscle and stamina. You get thirty minutes, then we start again.”

Haakon walk over and sits down against one of the nearby trees and opens his own package, with the same contents as Theodores.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 2, 2015

• Locked thread