Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Helsing posted:

Great, you're convinced that the culture you grew up in is the best culture ever. That's an almost universal intuition among human beings. I have it to in fact. But so what? Other than whatever satisfaction you apparently get by posting these hard truths you've gleaned here on the internet what exactly does it matter that you think "the west" has a better culture than Islam? How is that relevant to this discussion of Islamophobia?

Given that a key argument of people recruiting for the cause of bigotry against Muslims is that they're trying to erase Western culture and replace it with Islamic culture through the twin weapons of mass immigration and terrorism, you should find it extremely relevant.

It's about as relevant as the depiction they make of Islamic culture, which apparently consists entirely and exclusively of genital mutilation, sexist and religious oppression, and the interdiction of all forms of entertainment except for slicing body parts out of people called "criminals" by a bunch of scary bearded weirdos.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Western culture also got to genocide two entire continents of people and pretty much screwed over another without any real repercussions.

And it's even something that is uniquely exclusive to western culture. The history of the world everywhere else, as long as Europeans aren't involved, is an endless group hug of peace and love and living in harmony with nature. The westerners arrive and ruin everything because whitey is bad. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Black Baby Goku posted:

I can think of way worse things than racism and colonialism happening in the Middle East.

Fundamentalism is a backlash against racism and colonialism. Daesh is a creation of western powers as was the Taliban.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Tei posted:

These american natives were killing each another when the europeans paid a visit. The europeans were better, because they had a more cooler culture that paid attention to science and engineering. Better weapons, better doctors, better ships.

Even trying to proofread this isn't helping. Europeans were killing each other as well, and science and engineering was being curtailed by Catholicism. :psyduck:

Hell, the pilgrims were a violent sect of Protestantism that were known to burn down churches and kill people who didn't follow their same beliefs.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
Western Culture amazing and the greatest thing to happen to the human race according to Western Culture

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Is there a religion better than Islam?

I have already given you a answer. But you was not happy because It involved scrolling on your browser window, maybe visiting the past page of posts.

So here the one you want. For you.

Christianism seems better than Islam.

I am not expert in religions, so maybe I will get you wrong, hope you can correct me If I make a mistake.

It seems gays are tolerated in the christian religion I think the Pope recently said something about that.

If anything, it seems the line with gays is more tolerant than with islam.

Again, correct me If I am wrong. Thanks for your post. Sorry If I make mistakes in mine.

Mandy Thompson posted:

Fundamentalism is a backlash against racism and colonialism. Daesh is a creation of western powers as was the Taliban.

Perhaps even the original ones:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassins

Maybe you are right. But I think If somebody is assassinating people (pun no intented) you have amoral obligation to help. France could have ignored the conflict, but they have sort of.... received a invitation to come. Are you going to blame france for intervening .. now?

(editorializing removed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU3ZT6dxkw0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LxmESkV0Q

Tei fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 27, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

I have already given you a answer. But you was not happy because It involved scrolling on your browser window, maybe visiting the past page of posts.

So here the one you want. For you.

Christianism seems better than Islam.

I am not expert in religions, so maybe I will get you wrong, hope you can correct me If I make a mistake.

It seems gays are tolerated in the christian religion I think the Pope recently said something about that.

If anything, it seems the line with gays is more tolerant than with islam.

Again, correct me If I am wrong. Thanks for your post. Sorry If I make mistakes in mine.

You have an odd blend of confidence in your ability to make sweeping declarations about broad cultural forces, and total half-heartedness and cowardice when pressed for details. Have you considered running for President?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If we're putting forth suggestions for "religions better than Islam" I'd like to nominate Sikhs. They're a pretty chill bunch of dudes, with an excellent history of equality for women, do not view science as anathema (their creation myth is pretty much the Big Bang) and as a plus for bigots look enough like Muslims that you can kick the poo poo out of them if you have a hard time spotting Muslims.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm partial to the Baha'i faith myself.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

If we're putting forth suggestions for "religions better than Islam" I'd like to nominate Sikhs. They're a pretty chill bunch of dudes, with an excellent history of equality for women, do not view science as anathema (their creation myth is pretty much the Big Bang) and as a plus for bigots look enough like Muslims that you can kick the poo poo out of them if you have a hard time spotting Muslims.

It wasn't a general request, I am trying to pin down Tei's thinking. But there's nothing for it, I'm afraid.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I don't know why reminiscence of modern scientific understanding is a moral point in a religion's favor. Is it because many supposed nonreligious atheists are actually practitioners of the atheistic religion of scientism?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Islam is the light, Islam is the way

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Swan Oat posted:

Islam is the light, Islam is the way

I once stubbed my toe in a mosque because it was quite dark so I don't think this is quite true.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Tell us more about Christianism and Christianists, Tei

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Black Bones posted:

quote:

The word Christianism is being used as a descriptive term for Christian political conservatives mostly in the United States, for the ideology of the Christian Right, meant as a counterpoint to "Islamism".[1][2] Writing in 2005, the New York Times language columnist William Safire attributed the term (in this novel usage) to blogger Andrew Sullivan, who wrote on June 1, 2003, page 19,[3] "I have a new term for those on the fringes of the religious right who have used the Gospels to perpetuate their own aspirations for power, control and oppression: Christianists. They are as anathema to true Christians as the Islamists are to true Islam."[1] The bloggers Tristero and David Neiwert used the term shortly after.[4][5] Sullivan later expanded on his usage of the term in a Time magazine column.[6] Uses of the term can be found dating back to the seventeenth century, but these are unrelated to its modern meaning.[1]

This meaning of Christianism has started to gain a foothold in the United Kingdom too, according to one commentator.[7]

This Americanism circumvents the etymology of the suffix "-ism" which means "doctrine, theory, system of principles" (the other meanings are not applicable to religions) whereas the suffix "-ity" means just "state, quality or condition". In other Latin-based languages such as Castilian,[8] Galician and Catalan and from other countries such as Portuguese, French, Occitan, Italian, etc. the suffix "-ity" (-idad, -dade, -té, -ità) means Christians as a group, their geographical distribution, and their shared cultural identity, what in English is called Christendom, with its own suffix being of Germanic etymological roots.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Black Bones posted:

They promise the heavens, but the only way to reach the sky is with a rocket.

Rocket science > Jesus doctrine

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
When christ spoke of heaven/paradise, he was not talking about the literal sky, hth

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Cat Mattress posted:

Given that a key argument of people recruiting for the cause of bigotry against Muslims is that they're trying to erase Western culture and replace it with Islamic culture through the twin weapons of mass immigration and terrorism, you should find it extremely relevant.

It's about as relevant as the depiction they make of Islamic culture, which apparently consists entirely and exclusively of genital mutilation, sexist and religious oppression, and the interdiction of all forms of entertainment except for slicing body parts out of people called "criminals" by a bunch of scary bearded weirdos.

I'm not asking "how is Islamophobic rhetoric relevant to a discussion on Islamphobia", I am specifically challenging the osters in this thread who are claiming that western culture is superior to explain what they think the actual practical implications of that belief are.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that they are right. So what? What are they saying should be done about this fact?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Helsing posted:

What are they saying should be done about this fact?

I will respond, but you will not like the answer:

Identity what make it a good civilization, and protect it. One of these things (of many) is privacy. Defend personal privacy. You want another one, freedom of expresion, like cartoon artists work.

Real people believe all cultures are equal, and thats ignorant and bland, boring and dangerous for our survival and well being.

Tei fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 27, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tei posted:

One of these things (of many) is privacy. Defend personal privacy.

Man, have I bad news about that one...

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Tei posted:

I will respond, but you will not like the answer:

Identity what make it a good civilization, and protect it. One of these things (of many) is privacy. Defend personal privacy. You want another one, freedom of expresion, like cartoon artists work.

Real people believe all cultures are equal, and thats ignorant and bland, boring and dangerous for our survival and well being.

Can you be specific? This answer leaves me no closer to understanding your position. What does "defend personal privacy" mean in practice?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

It does not look like Tei was making an informed reference to that term.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
He meant piracy.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Helsing posted:

Can you be specific? This answer leaves me no closer to understanding your position. What does "defend personal privacy" mean in practice?

- You probably should not use your real name in social networks like Facebook. Doing so open yourself to get a lot of data indexed that will get in bad hands or use against you.
- You should not register your phone to identity accounts on the internet with a phone that can be used to identity you.
- If you are asked to get a card to buy poo poo. Consider that if you pay everything you buy with this card, you are giving a profile of what you buy. Some day in the future that information can be used against you, to make your credit score worse, to deny you a life insurance.
- You should use the https version of websites when you connect trough a wifi network or in a lan.
- Consider using less know services. If everyone email is in gmail, is easier for a nation state to attack your privacy. Consider using alternative email services like gmx, do some search and find your own. You can mix system, like ask for something in a sms and receive it in a email.
- When you are using a social network, don't talk in public about where you will go in the holydays. Probably is not a good idea to use them for political talk. If you have something political to say, is probably better to create a blog.
- If you buy a hostname and a hosting service, try to use anonimization services, so people can't get your details with a simple whois.
- Bet gentle with police. They are there to help you. But don't give unnecessary info that will not help them find criminals. If you think they are targeting you, shut the gently caress up and contact a lawyer. Law is complicate, you will need a lawyer not to have a problem with this type of poo poo. Really, police is cool people, but they see too much poo poo, so they end thinking everyone has hidden poo poo, so they don't / can't really think honest people exist.
- If you have a secret, don't tell anyone. If you have a secret and you tell somebody, is not a secret anymore.
- ...don't write what you don't want people to read. don't record what you don't want to people to see. This include pictures of your tits you plan to send to your boyfriend.
- Ask permission before sharing photos/videos/stories with other people.
- Don't tell anyone about how you build your passwords. What type of passwords you use.
- Try to not make spelling mistakes. They will allow in the future algorithms to undo anonymization by using characteristics misspelling like traits in a fingerprint.

I can continue, but I am not a expert and is taking too long to write this poo poo. If you ask for more, I will try to provide more.

Tei fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 27, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"Would you like to use your rite-aid rewards card?"

"Why so I can CEDE CULTURAL VICTORY TO DAESH?!"

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

What is this list supposed to tell us about Islamophobia?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

SedanChair posted:

"Would you like to use your rite-aid rewards card?"

"Why so I can CEDE CULTURAL VICTORY TO DAESH?!"

Every country has hawks. People that believe the power of the state is more important than everything else. In USA that is represented by the like of the NSA.
They get vindicated and empowered after every terrorist attack. They probably get what they want, more power, more money.

Money to buy servers, power to bend the rules of democracy. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?... us, is us that must watch out for the likes of the NSA not to have too much power or turn into a corrupt second government with secret laws, secret judges, secret prisons.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Tei posted:

- You probably should not use your real name in social networks like Facebook. Doing so open yourself to get a lot of data indexed that will get in bad hands or use against you.
- You should not register your phone to identity accounts on the internet with a phone that can be used to identity you.
- If you are asked to get a card to buy poo poo. Consider that if you pay everything you buy with this card, you are giving a profile of what you buy. Some day in the future that information can be used against you, to make your credit score worse, to deny you a life insurance.
- You should use the https version of websites when you connect trough a wifi network or in a lan.
- Consider using less know services. If everyone email is in gmail, is easier for a nation state to attack your privacy. Consider using alternative email services like gmx, do some search and find your own. You can mix system, like ask for something in a sms and receive it in a email.
- When you are using a social network, don't talk in public about where you will go in the holydays. Probably is not a good idea to use them for political talk. If you have something political to say, is probably better to create a blog.
- If you buy a hostname and a hosting service, try to use anonimization services, so people can't get your details with a simple whois.
- Bet gentle with police. They are there to help you. But don't give unnecessary info that will not help them find criminals. If you think they are targeting you, shut the gently caress up and contact a lawyer. Law is complicate, you will need a lawyer not to have a problem with this type of poo poo. Really, police is cool people, but they see too much poo poo, so they end thinking everyone has hidden poo poo, so they don't / can't really think honest people exist.
- If you have a secret, don't tell anyone. If you have a secret and you tell somebody, is not a secret anymore.
- ...don't write what you don't want people to read. don't record what you don't want to people to see. This include pictures of your tits you plan to send to your boyfriend.
- Don't tell anyone about how you build your passwords. What type of passwords you use.
- Try to not make spelling mistakes. They will allow in the future algorithms to undo anonymization by using characteristics misspelling like traits in a fingerprint.

I can continue, but I am not a expert and is taking too long to write this poo poo. If you ask for more, I will try to provide more.

What does this have to do with the discussion everyone is having about Islamophobia? I assumed that when you brought up "protecting personal privacy" you were saying this in connection with the claim that "western culture" is superior to "Islamic culture". What you've typed here would seem to have absolutely nothing to do with the discussion in this thread.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Is this more moral authority? Where can I apply to get some of it?

Become a rented Negro and promote the subordination of black people through respectability politics and patronizing speeches. However your moral authority will extend to other black people only.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Tei posted:

This huge list of measures you think are prudent to protect one's privacy makes it sound like the West doesn't actually do a very good job wrt privacy!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Effectronica posted:

I don't know why reminiscence of modern scientific understanding is a moral point in a religion's favor. Is it because many supposed nonreligious atheists are actually practitioners of the atheistic religion of scientism?
Ignorance is generally seen as a bad thing, promoting ignorance and making it sacred is just plain awful. E.g. abortion wouldn't even be an issue if everyone understood (or at least didn't misunderstand) fetal development. So either its beliefs need to be in line, or it needs to be willing to more abstractly interpret them. Which, honestly, doesn't always happen, so your best bet is to just do away with religious claims that aren't morals-based - ie abolish religion as a source of morality and instead just argue over morality.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
I heard about the Colorado Springs shooting today. I haven't read or watched anything, but I find it disturbing no Christians have condemned the attack. Apparently It might not have been specifically targeting PP, but that white dude is definitely a Christian and those crazy extremists think their enemies are going to burn for eternity and that the bible advocates violence in the name of their god, whatever that was.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Seriousl, look at this Christian trash

This is a secular nation of Law, Order, and Freedom and these fanatics have declared war on our way of life. Where are these so called moderates? We need to ban all Christian refugees, to protect ourselves and our children.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

SlipUp posted:

I heard about the Colorado Springs shooting today. I haven't read or watched anything, but I find it disturbing no Christians have condemned the attack. Apparently It might not have been specifically targeting PP, but that white dude is definitely a Christian and those crazy extremists think their enemies are going to burn for eternity and that the bible advocates violence in the name of their god, whatever that was.

I condemn the attack.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Mandy Thompson posted:

I condemn the attack.

Easy enough for you to say under complete anonymity. Isn't true that you could just lie to my face and your god will forgive you later?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SlipUp posted:

I heard about the Colorado Springs shooting today. I haven't read or watched anything, but I find it disturbing no Christians have condemned the attack.

Me too, and I don't mean this sarcastically in the least. We should very much see the Catholic Church, for example, condemning this action. We should see other pro-life organizations condemning this action. When something is done in your name, whether or not you're responsible, you've got to get out there and deal with it.

I hate being accused of Islamophobia, because I hold all religious traditions to the same standard (and, yes, when atheists do insane thing, it's our responsibility to call that out very loudly as well). Considering context, it's clear to me that Islam is no worse than any other religion, it's just that the people who practice it have a much greater chance of being completely out of their loving minds at this particular point in history (note that, for many centuries, the opposite was true, vis a vis Christianity).

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Okay that was exhausting enough after three posts, i seriously don't know where people can keep an endless well of hatred and bigotry and lead healthy lives.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

SlipUp posted:

Easy enough for you to say under complete anonymity. Isn't true that you could just lie to my face and your god will forgive you later?

You are being really presumptuous about who I am and what I believe. This is the same callousness and sanctimony I started the thread to condemn. Nothing justifies murder and I believe in the right of women to bodily autonomy whether that be for an abortion, for birth control, or for changing their gender presentation. I am also a devout Christian who believes that we are all children of God. To me, there is such a thing as corporate sin, the collective sins of patriarchy and white supremacy.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

PT6A posted:

Me too, and I don't mean this sarcastically in the least. We should very much see the Catholic Church, for example, condemning this action. We should see other pro-life organizations condemning this action. When something is done in your name, whether or not you're responsible, you've got to get out there and deal with it.

I hate being accused of Islamophobia, because I hold all religious traditions to the same standard (and, yes, when atheists do insane thing, it's our responsibility to call that out very loudly as well). Considering context, it's clear to me that Islam is no worse than any other religion, it's just that the people who practice it have a much greater chance of being completely out of their loving minds at this particular point in history (note that, for many centuries, the opposite was true, vis a vis Christianity).

I disagree but only because I've never seen anyone actually live the "I dislike all religions equally" instead of using it to deflect accusations of xenophobia. I guess I agree that the middle east is mostly Muslim and experiencing great instability at the moment, but it's not like Baathists, european neo-nazis or Afghani drug lords are just peaches. In fact, IIRC many of the former Iraqi military, the vast majority once Baathist, now fight on the with the Syrian Rebels and some even with ISIS. If you do dislike all religions equally because of your atheism, is it not still xenophobia, fear of the outsider?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

SlipUp posted:

Okay that was exhausting enough after three posts, i seriously don't know where people can keep an endless well of hatred and bigotry and lead healthy lives.

You just smile and pray that nuclear death will come sooner rather than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Mandy Thompson posted:

You are being really presumptuous about who I am and what I believe. This is the same callousness and sanctimony I started the thread to condemn. Nothing justifies murder and I believe in the right of women to bodily autonomy whether that be for an abortion, for birth control, or for changing their gender presentation. I am also a devout Christian who believes that we are all children of God. To me, there is such a thing as corporate sin, the collective sins of patriarchy and white supremacy.

That's cool. I was making a mockery of Islamophobes by applying the same criticisms they level against Islam on to Christianity, hoping to shock them into the revelation of how bullshit it is. I don't think any Christian should feel like they need to specifically condemn this one incident, or that a particular regressive branch of Christianity is representative of all Christians. Sorry if I got ya riled up.

• Locked thread