Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas, NV (HBO PPV): Miguel Cotto vs Canelo Alvarez, middleweights, 12 rounds; Takashi Miura vs Francisco Vargas, super featherweights, 12 rounds; Guillermo Rigondeaux vs Drian Francisco, super bantamweights, 10 rounds; Jayson Velez vs Ronny Rios, featherweights, 10 rounds.

The first boxer to win belts in four weight classes from Puerto Rico, Miguel Cotto is the taciturn bridge between previous standard bearer Felix Trinidad to the potential future star Felix Verdejo. The current lineal middleweight Champion has always acquitted himself as one of the best. However, a true signature win over another great fighter in their prime would truly be the final check mark on his decorated resume and tonight he gets that chance and against the Mexican superstar nontheless.

Seeming to have turned professional when he was a toddler, Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez is undoubtedly the biggest star in Mexican boxing. For years his development in parallel with that of Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Over the years the son of the legendary Julio Cesar Chavez's fault and bad habits have caught to him to the point where he is now widely considered a laughing stock in the sport. While Canelo's rise has not been without bumps in the road-namely his dud against Floyd Mayweather-if he can defeat a Puerto Rican legend and claim the lineal middleweight title he instantly write his name in Mexico's pantheon of champion and has the inside track to reclaim his spot as the sport's number 1 draw post Mayweather and Pacquiao.

While lacking in the sheer oversaturation of Mayweather-Pacquiao, tonight's showdown between Miguel Cotto and Canelo Alvarez has been one of boxing's most interesting fights for several years. Young vs. old. Mexico vs. Puerto Rico. It almost came to fruition earlier but in December 2012 with Cotto needing a win over Austin Trout and with Canelo in attendance at Madison Square Garden, Cotto was soundly outboxed and defeated and in the wake of a "shocking" loss to Trout seemed headed toward retirement. Instead he sought of the assistance of the architect of his worst loss against Manny Pacquaio, Freddy Roach and looked to reinvent himself. Returning in October 2013, Despite showing something of a return to form--especially the trademark left hook to the body and head-in a resounding knockout over barely better than club fighter Delvin Rodriguez. Even his 'career best' win over Sergio Martinez was clearly against a severely physically damaged Martinez and after taking a year off he knocked out essentially Gennady Golovkin's leftovers in a weight drained Daniel Geale.

Despite being the current standard bearer for Mexican boxing Canelo Alvarez is far from the Julio Cesear Chavez platonic ideal of a relentless pressure fighter. Despite doing his best impression of the "Mexican Style" in prototypical come forward destructions of Josesito Lopez (2 weight classes smaller) and Alfredo Angulo and James Kirkland (shot and frankly not all that good, respectively); Canelo has played the role of counter puncher in his two, albeit close, wins over Austin Trout and Erislandy Lara. Cotto may notbe the sort of slick boxer that Trout and Lara are but he has seemingly taken to Freddie Roach's offense first style like a fish to water which could play in to Alvarez's plan. However one could see Canelo in the biggest fight of his career since Mayweather, and facing and opponent who has succumbed to pressure before; seizing the imitative and going at Cotto in the same way-and hopefully not as controversially-as Antonio Margarito did in their two fights.

Without a doubt the shadow that looms over this fight is Gennady Golovkin. Laregly recognized as the top middleweight fighter since 2013 and on paper, as the current WBC interim champion he is mandatory challenger for the holder at the belt. This was widely assumed to be winner of tonight's fight butwith the WBC stripping Cotto of the belt on Tuesday due to his refusal to pay approximately 1.1 million in sanctioning fees, Golovkin is seemingly in line to achieve his stated goal of getting as many middleweight belts as possible. Even more helpful to this cause is that if Alvarez wins he will become the WBC and middleweight champion while Cotto cannot retain the belt regardless of the outcome. Depsite initially seeming to be up for the challenge Canelo has thrown some cold water on the belief that we would be willing to fight Golovkin at the middleweight limit and given the poor box office performance for his own pay-per view event a month ago, the financial incentives may not be there just yet either.So while he may find himself in a contest for a vacant belt against the likes of Jorge Sebastian Heiland or Tureano Johnson soon, a career defining win for triple G may still be on hold regardless of what happens tonight.

On the undercard will be Guillermo Rigondeaux, returning to fight on US soil for the first time since beating Joseph Agbeko in December 2013. The two time Olympian gold medalist is widely recognized as being in the top 5 of fighters pound for pound but has struggled to maintain an audience in the U.S with former promoter Bob Arum once stating that HBO executives vomited at the thought of having Rigondeaux on their network. In need of both a credible undercard fighter in the wake of Andre Ward pulling out a scheduled undercard bout and needing to build up their boxing brand, Roc Nation Sports signed Rigondeaux, rescuing him from a convoluted web of promoters/co-promoters and managers that keep him limited to fighting only once in Macau and japan since 2013.A dominant win over Flipino Drian Francisco would reignite interest in a fight with fellow two time gold medalist Vasyl Lomachenko, himself struggling to find credible competition, in what would be one of the most fascinating bouts in 2016. The most exciting action could come from super featherweights Takashi Miura, who seeks to defend a WBC belt, and Francisco Vargas.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

that undercard is way too long imo. it didn't need rigo, as much as i love him. i'm tired.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This should be good.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Anyone's ppv working? Purchased but have a black screen on Time Warner.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

part of me wants a sequence of first round knockouts, part of me doesn't want to listen to the boxnation studio team all night

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

What time do you guys think the fight will be? Tying to determine when to go out

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Surfing Turtle posted:

Anyone's ppv working? Purchased but have a black screen on Time Warner.

All systems ok on Comcast. Though I did go with phone ordering because my remote was being weird (I think)

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

What time do you guys think the fight will be? Tying to determine when to go out

10:45-11ish EST.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

The SituAsian posted:

All systems ok on Comcast. Though I did go with phone ordering because my remote was being weird (I think)

10:45-11ish EST.

My order went through fine and is showing as purchased. Now the channel is blank ugh.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

wait til you miss most of the undercard and then phone and complain and say you want a refund bc you missed rigo but you still wanna see the main event

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

thehappyprince posted:

wait til you miss most of the undercard and then phone and complain and say you want a refund bc you missed rigo but you still wanna see the main event

The lady just called time warner and they fixed it immediately.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Well Ronny Rios-Velez got good pretty quick.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Surfing Turtle posted:

My order went through fine and is showing as purchased. Now the channel is blank ugh.

I'm getting the same thing on U-Verse.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think rios has this fight

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

boxnation commentator didn't know which corner it was that was heard to say 'i think we're behind' even though only one corner is speaking english

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

wouldn't be surprised if goldenboy didn't release the fight night weights tbh

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Commentators discussing Rigondeaux-Lomenchenko, how feasible is that?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Commentators discussing Rigondeaux-Lomenchenko, how feasible is that?

it'd take a lot of weight negotiations and contract clauses but it could happen. it's not like there's that many big fights out for both of them

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's too bad rigo is extraordinarily boring

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Time warner cable ppv feed not working. Trying to find a different place to watch it at.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

It's too bad rigo is extraordinarily boring

I spent most of this fight reading the wikipedia page of Brett Hart and I have no idea why because I don't care for wrestling.

Normally I would enjoy watching a technician work his magic but man that was pretty awful.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
god drat what the gently caress i tune in to find rigondeaux carried a bum 10 rounds i mean that's completely expected but why would you put him on a card late to make the entire card worse?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Ninth Layer posted:

Time warner cable ppv feed not working. Trying to find a different place to watch it at.

We had to call customer support and had them reset our feed on their end before it started working.

"It was a boring fight" :lol: these announcers own.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

rigo was either a bit ring rusty or was plain trolling the booing fans.

cant believe there's another loving fight jesus christ

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What the hell is going on.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I could have done without that fight. They should have made it the first one so that I didn't have to watch it

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Well we are definitely not the intended audience for this performance

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

We had to call customer support and had them reset our feed on their end before it started working.

"It was a boring fight" :lol: these announcers own.

Customer service couldn't do anything for us. We are trying someone else's house.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i love ninth layer's quest to get murdered. best part of these threads

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

You'd think a JayZ promoted fight would have a better musician

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Got it at the other place. I heard the Rigo fight was predictably boring so I guess I didn't miss much!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Wow this is the opposite kind of fight

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
loving beautiful straight from Miura

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

loving beautiful straight from Miura