Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Subutai (Classical Mongolian: Sübügätäi or Sübü'ätäi; Modern Mongolian: Сүбэдэй, Sübedei; Chinese: 速不台 1175–1248) was a Turkic general, and the primary military strategist of Genghis Khan and Ögedei Khan. He directed more than twenty campaigns in which he conquered thirty-two nations and won sixty-five pitched battles, during which he conquered or overran more territory than any other commander in history.[1] He gained victory by means of imaginative and sophisticated strategies and routinely coordinated movements of armies that were hundreds of kilometers away from each other. He is also remembered for devising the campaign that destroyed the armies of Hungary and Poland within two days of each other, by forces over five hundred kilometers apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Spartacus was pretty cool I think.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Flesh Forge posted:

Julie d'Aubigny (1673–1707), better known as Mademoiselle Maupin or La Maupin, was a 17th-century swordswoman and opera singer. Basically all the sexiest and most awesome things about all the Game of Thrones characters put together, but in a real live person :allears:

e:

:swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Man I was all set to go with Teddy Roosevelt when I saw the thread title, but this opera swordswoman is pretty awesome here

Wikipedia posted:

Her Paris career was interrupted around 1695, when she kissed a young woman at a society ball and was challenged to duels by three different noblemen. She beat them all, but fell afoul of the king's law that forbade duels in Paris. She fled to Brussels to wait for calmer times. There, she was briefly the mistress of Maximilian II Emanuel, Elector of Bavaria.

Her life sounds like fiction, no wonder people wrote plays and whatever about her.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Ali.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Ibogaine posted:

Mithridates VI of Pontus

When the Roman republic was at the peak of its power, he was its greatest enemy for decades. But since that alone wasn't badass enough, he drank so much poison that he got immune to it.

Now you might still find yourself saying:" All that is good and well, but because Putin invaded Ukraine, I still maintain that Putin is the greatest badass of all time." You will change your tune when I tell you that, yes, MIthridates totally did invade Ukraine as well! He's the ultimate poison-resistant, Rome-hating, incest-loving and civilian-slaughtering badass we would all secretely love to be ourselves.

The story of him killing his relative (a pretender to the throne) in front of an entire battlefield was pretty :stare:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think Alexander the Great was cool because he was the first guy who just said "gently caress it yo, let's conquer EVERYTHING" and he pretty much went and did it.

I mean, then he died right after and his empire evaporated... but it's still loving cool that he lost zero battles and took on some rough poo poo.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I think Hans-Joachim Marseille is a good contender also.

Dude was Luftwaffe fighter pilot in France during the Battle of Britain where he was basically just chasing skirts, racing his convertible over the runways, listening to (forbidden) Jazz music and not giving fucks about silly things like saluting your superiors or having your hair cut according regulations. Sometimes he partied so hard at night he wasn't allowed to fly the next day because he was still hosed up. After he crashed a few times they got so sick of his poo poo they send him to Africa as a punishment.

In Africa he went from avarage pilot to a balls-to-the-wall fighter ace claiming all but 7 of his official 158 kills in a 18 month period. Most German 100+ aces got the majority of their kills on the Eastern Front downing lovely Soviet bombers, while Marseille mainly shot down British fighters, who had much better equipment and training, making him one of the best fighter pilots in history based on skill instead of pure numbers.

quote:

Marseille demonstrated his lack of respect for the Nazi elite during his visit to Germany in June–August 1942. Marseille was a gifted pianist and was invited to play a piece at the home of Willy Messerschmitt, an industrialist and designer of the Messerschmitt Bf 109 fighter Marseille had achieved so much success in. Guests at the party included Adolf Hitler, party chairman Martin Borman, Hitler's deputy and Commander-in-Chief of the Luftwaffe, Hermann Göring, head of the SS, Heinrich Himmler and Reich Minister of Propaganda Joseph Goebbels. After impressing with a display of piano play for over an hour, including Ludwig van Beethoven's Für Elise, Marseille proceeded to play American Jazz, which was considered degenerate in Nazi ideology. Hitler stood, raised his hand, and said "I think we've heard enough" and left the room.

:godwin::frogout:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans-Joachim_Marseille

Molentik fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 23, 2015

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Muhammad.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

If they're obscure they shouldn't even count honestly

Everyone knows a badass, they shouldnt need you, some history nerd, to advertise them if they were really badass, we would all recognize the name

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Ali.

"No Vietcong ever called me friend of the family." <--- a badass

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian
Russia is probably a lovely place to live in but they have one advantage

nobody laughs with russia

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyudmila_Pavlichenko

Soviet sniperess makes that American Sniper guy look like a beta bitch

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
it's drake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Jackie Robinson

dude had to go decades with people screaming and threatening him and his family and he was never--not once--allowed to talk back.

it's why he died so young, he kept it all in.

• Locked thread