Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

most beers are pretty good, you should try some different ones to find ones you like and be accepting of other people's tastes and choices :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Wall Balls posted:

most beers are pretty good, you should try some different ones to find ones you like and be accepting of other people's tastes and choices :)

shut up fag *crushes can throws at your face*

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
*hits bottom of glass bottle so hard ball bearing comes flying out at your head*

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

Moridin920 posted:

here's how i select beer 95% of the time in order of importance:

highest ABV
cheapest price
have i had it or is it new

everything else is fluff

Do you live on a park bench? Lol at all you in this thread with the beer sense of either a hobo or a 13 year old.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Indy posted:

Do you live on a park bench? Lol at all you in this thread with the beer sense of either a hobo or a 13 year old.

is beer sense the same thing as taste or is it some extra sense that you pick up when you decide to become really goddamned boring and pretentious about a piss drink?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Vitus is the only beer that matters.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Having an enormous variety of beers to try is great, there's gonna be a flavor for everyone. Also variety and competition in products is the backbone of capitalism so anyone who bitches about microbrews is a communist on top of being a baby idiot.

Ratebeer is still full of doofuses tho

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Peppery smoke shows up in the middle with notes of turpentine, new leather, and juniper.

4.21/5

:sever:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I too, enjoy a nice 6-pack of Coors so I can pretend on youtube to distinguish the subtle delicacies of spoiled barley and fermented gas on a tin can. I have a curled up moustache and refuse to ride anything but my antique penny-farthing to work.

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

Gilganixon posted:

is beer sense the same thing as taste or is it some extra sense that you pick up when you decide to become really goddamned boring and pretentious about a piss drink?

Yes on both

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
i got some New Belgium Accumulation on Friday, and while white IPAs seem to be polarizing I really enjoy the sharp citrusy bitterness, slight hint of pine, and clean refreshing finish. It has a big fluffy head and a pale yellow color with moderate lacing. It's a shame that it's a winter seasonal because I think this would be a fantastic hot weather beer. 4.5/5 I'm gonna drink a lot of this before it leaves stores for the season.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
beer is gross and so are the majority of people who drink it

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?

The Taint Reaper posted:

then why are you drinking beer? Drink whiskey or bourbon.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the best reviews to read on beeradvocate are the snob reviews of lite/ice macrobrews, malt liquor etc

steel reserve posted:

I was looking in the beer section tonight at the gas station because i'm broke and realized I've never tried this hobo swill (not that i'm above drinking hobo swill), here is my review

A:light clear and crisp with lots of head that very quickly recedes. Much like champagne.

S: sulfur, some fruity esters (not unlike crappy moscato or riesling) , faint malts, slight scents of corn

T-Surprisingly not as bad as the scent. Very sweet with some bastardized banana-esque wheat beer type flavors . Slightly malty. Alcohol only noticeable in the aftertaste. Watch out. I'd imagine this beer could kick some rear end.

M-Light, heavy carbonation, easy to throw back.

O-pretty lousy, but i'm not disgusted. I like to think I know good beer from bad beer, but this honestly wasn't as bad as i'd have imagined. No worse than a bud light in my opinion. Definitely not a quality brew but at least Steel Reserve embraces what it is: A cheap, mediocre beer to get drunk on. I've got no objection to any of those descriptors so if you're low on cash and don't mind looking like a hobo, maybe give it a shot.

milwaukees best ice posted:

I picked this 12 pack of cans up last night for my friend and I. We are both having life issues and hey, its a guys night totally, we were just going to get wasted and forget about everything for a night...So him and I ordered a couple of cheap rear end pizzas, and I went to pick up some CHEAP rear end BEER.

At $7.98 for a 12 pack (or $13 for a 30 pack which we obviously didnt need!), this definitely qualified for cheap beer. It's what I was going for. I wanted practically the cheapest crap I could find (okay, it was 3rd cheapest next to Hurricane and Steel Reserve) that hopefully still had good flavor. Naturally I picked up "ICE" and not "Light" for that reason.

So with one can left in my possession I dedicate it to you beer lovers.

Aroma (2) : corn, tin, malt aromas. Seltzer water. Smells like coors light, spot on.

Taste (1.75) very watery, very corny (but not in a high life way, more like a bad roasted malted corn flavor), tin, stale malt, rotten garbage and rotten hop. A staunch alcohol flavor floats around. It is just rather terrible unless you're too inebriated to know the difference.

Mouthfeel (1.75) : watery and carbonated.

Overall (1.83) : I gave the rest of the 12 pack to my friend and he left the three slices of pizza. I got the better end of the deal. We are not huge drinkers so he got six cans to take home. I still got the better deal. I never expected much to begin with, but this is truly horrible even then. Would not buy again, not even for $2 a 12 pack. Yeah it's a terrible beer - tastes like miller lite's reject batch from experiments gone wrong.

natural ice posted:

Poured into a .5 l mug.

Look: The body is a clear golden color with slowly rising bubbles. The head is foamy and white and settles to ... nothing. Absolutely no lacing on the glass.

Aroma: A combination of sweet corn husk (adjuncts) and a faint metallic aroma not unlike paint fumes.

Taste: Almost identical to the nose but more of a cardboard kind of taste up front. Paint fumes come through. The finish is metallic and dry, not without a sly but of tanginess.

Mouthfeel: Dry and medium to light in body.

Overall: Almost like a malt liquor "light" version ... AALs shouldn't be 5.9% ABV in my opinion. I paid $8.99 for a 12 pack of this just to review it. That's dedication.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

Grody posted:

I DON'T LIKE THING

Ok

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
again beer is for pussies

vodka is the only real alcohol worthy of human consumption

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Gibberish posted:

again beer is for pussies

vodka is the only real alcohol worthy of human consumption

vodka is hard liquor for girls

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I'm a homebrewer so i know beer more than most people.

Generally those with a more discerning palate and appreciation for beer will be able to pick up on these subtle flavors. Those who get a six pack and go watch the "game" with their bros don't know how to appreciate beer.

When i taste my 18 month aged lambics i can taste the horse blanket barnyard funk that is a signature of this treasure of a brew.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

The Goatfather posted:

objectively wrong post ^^^

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I only drink beer with 5% or higher ABV.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
just enjoy your beer and try not to be the person paying $20 for a beer that is the equivalent of a snickerdoodle coffee milkshake unless you really like that

:shrug:

also this:

The Goatfather posted:

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Wulfolme posted:

I think the whole 'notes' bullshit is a way of saying how the beer tastes by saying that it reminds them of how other things taste. We don't really have a lot of nuanced words to describe tastes and smells like we do for sounds or colors or textures. For example, try to describe the different ways a fart can smell without just saying that the fart smells like something else. For all of these beers and all of these farts, the only way to really get an impression across is to invoke previous tastes, smells, or farts that readers have experienced.

its also a bit that a lot of very varied and complex flavors, result from the presence of different esters, that may be prosciuttoed in the beer procession, so in many ways, these ppl, are detecting these individual chemicals, and their combinations

4 example, yuo can make something taste of rum, by merely adding a bit of ethyl formate, and isobutyl propionate, thougfh it is also recommended that you add 30-50% ethyl alcohol by volume, so as to achieve the proper rum experience

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
I usually drink double ipas/imperials. gets the beer snobs off your back while simultaneously getting you drunk a lot faster

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Lufiron posted:

I usually drink double ipas/imperials. gets the beer snobs off your back while simultaneously getting you drunk a lot faster

This is the correct way to enjoy beer

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
all beers taste exactly the same imo.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
:goonsay: I don't buy into the whole "mmm yes I tasted the bark of an oak tree with the subtle end notes of peach" stuff but I do use that site for the score system.

When 900+ people review a beer with a mean score of 90+ it's usually a sign that it's worth your time.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

serious norman posted:

all beers taste exactly the same imo.

But this is wrong? :shrug:

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
the hard liquor for girls is tequila ya maroons

vodka is the only real mans alcohol

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

Luvcow posted:

just enjoy your beer

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Gibberish posted:

the hard liquor for girls is tequila ya maroons

vodka is the only real mans alcohol

but tequila is made from the blue agave plant :colbert:

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

gnarlyhotep posted:

I came in here because you were reported and then I discovered you were a dumb gently caress on my own. The punishment may take a bit, but just wait, it'll get here :)

Y I K E S

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
A well travelled guy I know told me to try the 'localest' beer first when in a new place. Turns out to be pretty good advice.

Also if you stick with only one kind of beer or whiskey or whatever, it will wreck your palate for others. Switch it up and enjoy the new tastes.

Finally, the best beer I ever had was Theresian Brau in Innsbruk.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

gnarlyhotep posted:

I've been really impressed with Karbach lately. Their Weisse-Versa is really good. Practically no hops (gently caress hops) and a good malty mouthfeel.

I'm with you. Hoppy beers have their place, but I'm all about the malts. We must have just about reached the apex of hoppy beers by now, right?

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I wish I could like IPA's as much as everyone else but I prefer like brown ales or amber ales. IPA's are just too bitter for me. Oh well.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just burned through a 1/2bbl of Sierra Nevada Celebration and its replacement isnt here till Tuesday. Bottled beer blows.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Gilganixon posted:

i just found out that "session beer" isn't just a marketing buzzword, it's meant to be a mid-strength beer you drink during your lunch break at work.

i was disappointed, for me a "session" is a drinking bout that draws at least a couple of police officers. i was expecting a session beer to be 6-8%, not this 3% guff. I'd rather drink water than pay a bartender £3 to remain totally bolt sober.

Session beers are what you drink when day drinking before moving on

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Thunder Moose posted:

:goonsay: I don't buy into the whole "mmm yes I tasted the bark of an oak tree with the subtle end notes of peach" stuff but I do use that site for the score system.

When 900+ people review a beer with a mean score of 90+ it's usually a sign that it's worth your time.

Honestly this is the only reason I decided to try Duvel at the bar I used to go to. I thought it was just some pretentious thing like "oh i'm drinking a ~belgian~ beer" but it's actually really good and it gets you real drunk real fast.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Wulfolme posted:

I think the whole 'notes' bullshit is a way of saying how the beer tastes by saying that it reminds them of how other things taste. We don't really have a lot of nuanced words to describe tastes and smells like we do for sounds or colors or textures. For example, try to describe the different ways a fart can smell without just saying that the fart smells like something else. For all of these beers and all of these farts, the only way to really get an impression across is to invoke previous tastes, smells, or farts that readers have experienced.

You remember that video about how Wine Snobs are Faking It? Beer snobs are worse.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

NomChompsky posted:

I wish I could like IPA's as much as everyone else but I prefer like brown ales or amber ales. IPA's are just too bitter for me. Oh well.

It's just an acquired taste, like when you were a kid, vegetables suck but now that you're an adult they're delicious.

The same thing happens with IPAs, but you do it when you're an adult instead of when you're a child. This is the same way you figure out the joys of single malts and things like that.

The problem is that some people don't like acquiring a taste for new things, so they invent the fallacy that IPAs are bad. This is the exact same breed of the lame rear end dude who "doesn't like the taste of alcohol" and it's the same baby who throws his mashed carrots on the floor.

People forget that we acquire the taste for ALL THINGS, you just don't really associate it because a lot of taste associations happen in early childhood. But it really is the equivalent of a closed mind.

In short, try it a lot, I guarantee you'll like it. You did it when you were a kid. It's a totally natural and chill part of growing as a person and as a lover of food/drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think the issue is less that XXXTreme hops doesn't taste good, it's just that there is a lot more to beer than just hops. I can appreciate a ultra hoppy beer, but it seems to be the easy-mode route that most microbreweries go. It's just very uncreative and done to death.

• Locked thread