Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

BigBoss posted:

Lots of people say Bud tastes like piss water. I don't know why they say this. Do they know what piss tastes like? I don't. I don't drink pee.

you're missin out dogg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
Beer advocate is okay when you wanna know the alcohol content of whatever beer

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
There's nothing wrong with generic beer, and anybody who claims they can taste faint hints of the brief fart of a bull eating from an apple tree in some gross rear end IPA is straight up full of poo poo, and no better than a skinny dweeb in a turtleneck droning on and on about wine tannin.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if craft beers had under 4% abv instead of 7-9% nobody would care about them

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I like Coors Light, among other smaller brands.

If you look down on macrobrews you are probably a tremendous human being IRL.

Hope that clears things up!! :)

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

beer culture is literally fat culture, which i reject

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
this was a funny conversation where a beer snob spent the whole time looking down his nose at a person with normal attitudes about beer

Lowtax posted:

Most microbreweries these days rely more on catchy names and box art / design than actually brewing decent beer, due to the fierce competition for shelf space in grocery / liquor stores.

Spanish Manlove posted:

This is targeting the dad market where actually good places competing against other good places are doing sub 1000 bottle count barrel aged stouts that rely on hype and social media to promote.

For example, last release at Cycle brewing in St. Petersburg FL my friend showed up at 8am and was #130 in line (doors opened at noon).

Lowtax posted:

If you're looking for a really interesting beer, try Xingu. It's a dark Brazilian beer but tastes like a golden.

Spanish Manlove posted:

sounds weak and lame. I had a rum barrel aged stout aged on cherries this week where the barrels came from a local distillery which then held a stout, then the barrels were given back to the distillery to age a rum and those same barrels were given back to this brewery to age this stout.

Tasted like a liquid bon bon.

Lowtax posted:

It's quite good, I use it for my chili base.

Spanish Manlove posted:

If you're cooking with a beer then it's not a good beer. For example Sam Adams is the best cooking beer for this same reason. Try it in your chili.

Lowtax posted:

I cook with it because it tastes good and is much better than the typical dark Mexican beers people use for chili, so I respectfully disagree. Also Sam Adams is a really good beer if you're the kind of person who likes crappy beers and you're a stupid person too.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Those dark mexican beers are the same style (vienna lager) as Sam Adams and you can get Sam Adams on sale at the grocery store all the time for like $12 a case.

You ever pan fry brauts using beer to steam the brauts?

Lowtax posted:

Why are you intent on dissing Xingu without having tried it you ignoramus??

Also I don't eat brauts and I only use beer as an ingredient when making chili or getting drunk

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

proof of concept posted:

this was a funny conversation where a beer snob spent the whole time looking down his nose at a person with normal attitudes about beer

lol

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
actually good places competing against other good places are doing sub 1000 bottle count barrel aged stouts that rely on hype and social media to promote.

For example, last release at Cycle brewing in St. Petersburg FL my friend showed up at 8am and was #130 in line (doors opened at noon).

I am a good and normal person, who is also sexy, and by the way did you konw that gbs is bad?

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
if there are more than 1000 bottles of a beer worldwide then it loving SUCKS

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
3.2 beer now. 3.2 beer tomorrow. 3.2 beer forever.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

craft beer is the gentrification concept applied to booze

loling if you can't afford GMO free beer brewed by a hipster with a beard.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
A friend of mine he owns/runs a brewery and every so often he'll ask me to come down and sample some stuff with him. I always tell him that it's really really good but honestly it tastes more or less like any old beer of the type he's giving me. Half the time im drinking it and in my mind im like 'hmm yes this is certainly a IPA' but i dont say that instead i just repeat whatever he said in the speech he gave before handing me the glass. That may seem like a lot to go through but well sometimes you have to make sacrifices to cheer your buddy up. He's always so loving depressed on account of his wife running around on him, ya know.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Is there anyone on this earth that thinks Irish reds are good? I'm pretty sure they're disgusting to everybody.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I've had a few good Irish reds, but it does seem to be a style that's easy to gently caress up. Lots of them have that weird, cloying sweetness.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove?! A sneering Mensa wiener with a superiority concept? Who whould'a thought!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Chinatown posted:

I like Coors Light, among other smaller brands.

If you look down on macrobrews you are probably a tremendous human being IRL.

Hope that clears things up!! :)

This is true. As soon as I kick this next Celebration keg I'm switching to Boston Lager. That poo poo owns.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jim Barris posted:

A friend of mine he owns/runs a brewery and every so often he'll ask me to come down and sample some stuff with him. I always tell him that it's really really good but honestly it tastes more or less like any old beer of the type he's giving me. Half the time im drinking it and in my mind im like 'hmm yes this is certainly a IPA' but i dont say that instead i just repeat whatever he said in the speech he gave before handing me the glass. That may seem like a lot to go through but well sometimes you have to make sacrifices to cheer your buddy up. He's always so loving depressed on account of his wife running around on him, ya know.

Stop loving his wife, maybe you'll feel less guilty

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
beer is okay. but beer that doesnt taste like beer is the new big thing like boozy root beer that you can put in a empty 2 liter of barqs and take it to your boring booze free office party and no one would even know

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
idgi, the stuff in the OP is just a description of how a certain beer tastes (that particular one sounds nice).all of those flavours can be found in beer, and you don't have to be a snob to notice the similarities.
things taste different to other things, this shouldn't be surprising

e:

Jim Barris posted:

Is there anyone on this earth that thinks Irish reds are good? I'm pretty sure they're disgusting to everybody.

i like them.a good smithwicks is like a bunch of creamy copper coins in your mouth

Faux-Ass Nonsense fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 23, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jim Barris posted:

I've had some really, really good Irish reds.
Hell, I even like Killian's Irish Red.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

lol

what are you doing, you retards? testing the beer for sediment?

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
as you can plainly see from goku, beer snobs are making things way too complicated

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

etalian posted:

I don't think you ever met californians, they always go out of their way to remind the world that their overpriced soon to be all desert state is the greatest.

As a resident of the golden state, I've never met anyone who likes this place that lives here. LA is a cesspit with lovely freeways that are lined with pedophiles, and the IE is a loving desert for the most part.

IPA's are also highly overrated.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I've never really liked pale lagers aka typical american beer. I figured out I like darker beers like porters and stouts. The only commonly sold one around was guinness and as soon as I started trying out the popular craft stouts and porters, I realized how genuinely bad guinness tastes in comparison

i also like the taste of belgium dubbels and trippels. I don't get the love for IPAs. I don't know if it leaves a bad aftertaste or what but I've tasted some that has this strong pale taste that just stays in my mouth

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Costco beer is on sale for 20 dollars for 100 cans.

you can have beer for years.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

PinkoBastard posted:

I've had a few good Irish reds, but it does seem to be a style that's easy to gently caress up. Lots of them have that weird, cloying sweetness.

They're easy to gently caress up because you cant hide your mistakes under a shitload of hops like you can in IPA. That's also true for lagers and the reason why Bud is an amazing beer. To put out that much beer globally and have it be consistently decent and uniform in flavor takes brewing skill that the scrubs at dogfish, cigar city, founders, or any other small brewer can't even begin to comprehend.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BigBoss posted:

They're easy to gently caress up because you cant hide your mistakes under a shitload of hops like you can in IPA. That's also true for lagers and the reason why Bud is an amazing beer. To put out that much beer globally and have it be consistently decent and uniform in flavor takes brewing skill that the scrubs at dogfish, cigar city, founders, or any other small brewer can't even begin to comprehend.

Is "skill" really relevant when youre talking a huge team of experts and millions of dollars of advanced automated machinery

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Mange Mite posted:

Is "skill" really relevant when youre talking a huge team of experts and millions of dollars of advanced automated machinery

That's like saying Lebron isn't that good because he has expert trainers, coaches, and world class facilities. Lebron has all that stuff available because he's the best, not the other way around.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BigBoss posted:

That's like saying Lebron isn't that good because he has expert trainers, coaches, and world class facilities. Lebron has all that stuff available because he's the best, not the other way around.

who is the lebron of budwiser then

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Mange Mite posted:

who is the lebron of budwiser then

Their brewmasters.

Pete Kraemer is the head guy apparently.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BigBoss posted:

Their brewmasters.

which one

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
There's nothing wrong with Budweiser

It gets you drunk and makes you burp and piss all night, just like every other beer in the world

Seriously, have some goddamn liquor, who's got time to wait for beer to kick in

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

phasmid posted:

I see the article argue about dates and names of the people, but that article itself and the one it links to seems to support the theory that india pale ales were being created for "warmer" climes and they were the result of experimentation/happy accident. Where does it say that its a myth on the whole? Not that I want to get into a beer argument with a certified drunk nerd (or more than one). :) Just piqued my curiosity.

The part about how they were created specifically because other beers couldn't last the journey around the cape.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

quote:

Clear amber colored ale with a medium sized white colored head.

Quite aromatic, smells of pineapple from a distance. Smells strongly of hops, mostly Pineapple, Mango, and Tangerines. Fainter scents of menthol, vanilla and peaches. Black pepper and Balsam wood in the ethanol fumes. Faint scent of Vinyl.

Starts out malty and savory with a melon and peach after taste. Tastes sweet with a taste of Peach and melon. Mango and pineapple flavors but orange goes missing. Pretty tasty, could be a little more complex.

Mouthfeel is good.

Very tasty DIPA. Near great DIPA.
BeeradvocateBeerSperg.txt. Just, Jesus. Vinyl? Balsa wood? AND OH YEAH A GREAT BEER DEFINITELY SMELLS OF VINYL AND ETHANOL!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

JFairfax posted:

haha I've got five bottles of Fluo's beer sitting behind me and have drunk a few more besides, he does actually know a thing or two about beer.

touche my friend, I guess we'll never know for sure until I have those bottles sitting behind me

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bing_commander posted:

Beer advocate is okay when you wanna know the alcohol content of whatever beer

if you ignore the reviews and just use the score its not too bad

they don't have the insane prejudice against adjunct lagers that other sites do, which is nice because some adjunct lagers are actually good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
IPAs are still crap tho

• Locked thread