Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keg
Sep 22, 2014

gnarlyhotep posted:

IPAs are still crap tho

Don't pretend that you drink because of the flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Keg posted:

Don't pretend that you drink because of the flavor.

It's not either/or

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I had a La Fin du Monde from Unibroue tonight. It was great.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

PinkoBastard posted:

that poo poo is gross as hell and gently caress you for supporting Quebec

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Million Ghosts posted:

that poo poo is gross as hell and gently caress you for supporting Quebec

seriously, it tastes like water that has sat inside an old tire for a month

some loving nasty rear end poo poo

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
What don't you like about it? I don't care much about Quebec one way or another.

E: I mean it's not my favourite beer, but it's cheap and a decent option

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 25, 2015

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
'cheap' $9 a bottle ain't cheap if i could drink that fermented sewage for $3 then maybe. canadian drunks gotta be sly son.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Where in the gently caress are you buying In du Monde for 9 dollars a bottle?

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Also if I paid 9 bucks for it yeah, I'd feel ripped off, so I get where you're coming from

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i don't understand why people whould drink ipas. they taste lovely and if you just wanna get drunk just neck some gin

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

PinkoBastard posted:

Where in the gently caress are you buying In du Monde for 9 dollars a bottle?

canada learn to read gently caress

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
It's closer to 5 dollars here in New Brunswick, but yeah 9 is a lot to pay for one of those.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

PinkoBastard posted:

What don't you like about it? I don't care much about Quebec one way or another.

E: I mean it's not my favourite beer, but it's cheap and a decent option

uh doy I said it tastes like crap, learn to read fucknut

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
what's the least poo poo light beer

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

a retard posted:

kirkland signature

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

gnarlyhotep posted:

uh doy I said it tastes like crap, learn to read fucknut

Haha yeah fucknut. DOUYYY. fucjing learn to read. You ever hear of words? Did they not teach you words at Fucknut University? Well guess what, you're graduating cum-from-my-greasy-cock-in-your-rear end.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

proof of concept posted:

this was a funny conversation where a beer snob spent the whole time looking down his nose at a person with normal attitudes about beer

thanks for putting those quotes together it was a nice read and a great way to start my day

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

a retard posted:

I'd go with bud light platinum. I'm not sure if that really counts since it's 6% abv but it says light on the bottle so...

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eh I've found the best method is to just let my 4 year old pick bottles based on what she thinks looks cool. It's generally turned out alright. That said the book Tasting Beer has been helpful in getting a better idea of different types and styles.

By and large the only smaller company I consistently like is Dogfish because they do weird poo poo that you can actually understand the flavor without lying based on taste and the description and they make comically huge ABV beers now and again.

Soemwhat unrelated, just can't image how bad it was even a decade ago in PA. I was lucky since I was in NY then, but went home for the holidays and wanted some beer and had to buy a goddamn case of just one type. Luckily when I moved back bottle stores started becoming a thing.

Edit
Some of the beers she's picked

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 25, 2015

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
It is a shame there is no widely available hefeweizen in America

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

EX250 Type R posted:

are you serious, or did you actually mean to type "hefeweizen that I, personally, think tastes good"

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Well I am unaware of any widely available hefewiezen in the united states unless you call shock top hefeweizen but yeah unless it is franziskaner then its poo poo

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

EX250 Type R posted:

Well I am unaware of any widely available hefewiezen in the united states unless you call shock top hefeweizen but yeah unless it is franziskaner then its poo poo

I didn't know Live Oak wasn't national, I see it goddamn everywhere in Austin

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 25, 2015

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

EX250 Type R posted:

Ufo?

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Doesn't pyramid make one? I've seen their stuff on the shelf in texas and in new york

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like Mexican because it tastes like water

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I've tried ufo and some other brands but none of them have ever come close to franziskaner. In Germany it would be impossible to find a bar without hefeweizen on tap and the best i can do is 3.99 0.5l bottles of franziskaner from the imported beer store. Sometimes I see 12 packs of 12oz bottles but it is still not as good as the 0.5l bottles with the foil

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hmm going to leave work soon, get beer, watch MST3K....so 6 pack of Fort then?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Murphy Brownback posted:

I'd go with bud light platinum. I'm not sure if that really counts since it's 6% abv but it says light on the bottle so...

Seconding this. Bud Light tastes like goat urine cut with paint thinner, but Platinum is really surprisingly drinkable, especially for the price.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

EX250 Type R posted:

hef is worse than keystone light

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
if you enjoy terrible beer reviews, this was a fun little contest:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697174

EX250 Type R posted:

the German stuff is everywhere and better than pretty much all the American versions, so...

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
I like fancy beers and also normal beers unless they decide to get super weird and put cherry and espresso flavors in. If you read the side of a beer and it says something about dark cherry and coffee beans then you need to just put that thing down and pick up a Coors instead

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

a retard posted:

Just go full wino and get a cheap pinot noir if you're not ready to graduate to the purestrain bottom shelf cooking vodka

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

PinkoBastard posted:

I like the occasional Unibroue, their terribly pretentiously named "Sommelier Pack" has replaced Mill Street as my "Drink and GBS" of choice

The Ephemere Pear is the best they've made imo

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

EX250 Type R posted:

Sierra Nevada's Kellerweiss and Weihenstehpaner are everywhere man.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Professor Shark posted:

I like the occasional Unibroue, their terribly pretentiously named "Sommelier Pack" has replaced Mill Street as my "Drink and GBS" of choice

The Ephemere Pear is the best they've made imo

i just drink whisky until I can't see straight, and that's when I know it's time to post on GBS. I can't see how beer fits in here

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Gilganixon posted:

i just drink whisky until I can't see straight, and that's when I know it's time to post on GBS. I can't see how beer fits in here

The beer is when I want to relax and have a good time, otherwise it's drinking vodka out of the freezer in my underwear with tears streaming down my face

(like when I read your posts ohohohoho)

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Beer from a nanobrewery perspective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5QzTkdvI54

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

:siren: BAD VIDEO NOT FUNNY WARNING :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
most craft beers honestly taste like poo poo. just find a good cheap beer you can drink easily and stick with that imo... for me it's yuengling :shrug:

• Locked thread