Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Ashsaber posted:

Well, can't say that's unexpected. Gotta remember that bullets are meant primarily to gently caress up fleshy bits, not break bones. And Skells don't exactly have much surface area to hit.

Yeah, a skeleton would be a lot harder to hit than just flesh, but basically any hit that would kill a person in real life would go through the bony bits, too, like the cranium. And bullets are just as good a hammer at breaking bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You'd think a high explosive round from an IFV's autocannon would do it.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Huge packs of war dogs, trained to retrieve and bury bones?

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
I'm just gonna settle for calling it magical bullshit

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

Night10194 posted:

You'd think a high explosive round from an IFV's autocannon would do it.
You'd think, yeah. That's why I fluffed them as being able to keep going even with large portions of their bodies destroyed: that's the only reason I can think of that they'd be so resistant to conventional weapons. The idea is that they'll just keep coming until they're blasted into fine fragments.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
How do we know they don't keep coming even after they've been blasted to a fine powder? For all we know that powder is made of millions of tiny, tiny skeletons and they're getting into the soldiers' lungs right now!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Polybius91 posted:

You'd think, yeah. That's why I fluffed them as being able to keep going even with large portions of their bodies destroyed: that's the only reason I can think of that they'd be so resistant to conventional weapons. The idea is that they'll just keep coming until they're blasted into fine fragments.

They might put themselves back together anyway. We're dealing with wizbiz here, all bets are off.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

YeOldeButchere posted:

How do we know they don't keep coming even after they've been blasted to a fine powder? For all we know that powder is made of millions of tiny, tiny skeletons and they're getting into the soldiers' lungs right now!

bone is moderately digestible, especially when turned into powder, all they would be doing is giving your troops a meal.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

YeOldeButchere posted:

The situation is even worse than that, I'm afraid. Medical looked over all the soldiers who participated in that battle, and each of them already had an entire skeleton inside them! :tinfoil:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Polybius91 posted:

The situation is even worse than that, I'm afraid. Medical looked over all the soldiers who participated in that battle, and each of them already had an entire skeleton inside them! :tinfoil:

How deep does this go? :tinfoil:

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Concerning driving them over, I think this is referred to in some of the games mission text blurbs, but not implemented.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Polybius91 posted:

Oh no! The skeletons are coming from inside the squads!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Night10194 posted:

They might put themselves back together anyway. We're dealing with wizbiz here, all bets are off.

I keep trying to thing of a good thing for them to yell instead of medic. Rigger? Wirer?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

YeOldeButchere posted:

Command has obtained a tape depicting the worst-case scenario of this happening.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

YeOldeButchere posted:

Oh no! The skeletons are coming from inside the squads!

You joke, but how terrifying would it be if they could somehow animate and control skeletons that were still inside the bodies of our soldiers? Imagine your own skeleton suddenly going hostile.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

I keep trying to thing of a good thing for them to yell instead of medic. Rigger? Wirer?
Duct tape! My kingdom for a duct tape!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

You joke, but how terrifying would it be if they could somehow animate and control skeletons that were still inside the bodies of our soldiers? Imagine your own skeleton suddenly going hostile.

Isn't that Broteam's entire schtick?

Anyway, what a great and interesting old game. Wish it was on GoG so I could give it a go.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I have a horrible feeling that every time I get an upgrade, another aspect of my unit will be left failing miserably during combat operations.

"Sweet, an armoured vehicle with some speed! Let's see those trogs try smashing these beauties up!"
*Magical Bullshit Arrows*
"loving rats' cocks, okay gently caress the speed, let's get heavier armour plating!"
*Your Firepower Is Not Enough*
"Jesus loving Christ!"

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Okay boys, listen up, I'm handing these out for mandatory reading!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GyverMac posted:

Okay boys, listen up, I'm handing these out for mandatory reading!

Thank God, maybe we'll find their weaknesses in that helpful article.

I think we can rule out being shot, we tried that one a lot.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
The secret is that skeletons are all really happy, which is why they're smiling all the time. So they really just want to dance and hug and have a good time, but they sometimes find it hard to break character when their dark lord expects them to be unholy minions of doom or whatever. Taking the first step and showing trust is key.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

We needed to learn how to effectively combat the undead before we could liberate the town, but our goodwill with Command was evaporating fast. After having drawn a lot of funding over the course of two weeks, our last two actions had been a targeted raid and a failed attack. To make matters worse, conditions were deteriorating on the Mongolian front, with rumors that there were plans in the works to retreat in preparation for a defense of the cities of northern China.

A fast victory would hopefully get them back on our side, but we couldn't hope for one of those against the undead. So, we went to the one place we knew the undead weren't: the harpy cliffs.

Mission 11: Try Saying "Anti-Tank Arrows" With A Straight Face

Attending:
Anil E. Hilated, Esq. (Polite Obliteration, Mortar Infantry)
Sersan (Anoa, Rangers)
Bonaventura Ferrer (Confederacion Internacional de Militadores, Heavy Infantry)
Logan "Hardtack" Smith (War Dogs, Commandos)
"Doctor" Snark (Mage Killers, Commandos)
Solrick Skaft (Scion of Emer, Commandos)
Mael Radec (Radec's Rhinos, Piranha)
Skull Face (XOF, Piranha)
Patrick Gallagher (Just In Time, Piranha)
Svetlana Aliyev (Rusalka, Piranha)
Erik Spanner (The Toolbox, Piranha)
Catherine Ulysses (Smart Patrol, Humvee)
GyverMac (Gyver's Grinders, AMX 13)
Cholmondely Featherstonehaugh-Smythe (Sphynx Battery, AMX 13)

Whatever hope we'd had left that all of the harpies had been trapped when we collapsed the caves faded as the troops deployed. It was only minutes before they first reported hearing those familiar cries in the distance. We could at least take comfort in the knowledge that they'd be unable to replace any more we killed.

Catherine Ulysses: poo poo. I've already got two confirmed ballista platoons, camping the hill.
Mael Radec: No worries. We've got plenty of room to maneuver around them. We'll just roll up a part of the hill where they can't reach us.

Skull Face: Good thinking. We've got numbers and armor on them, we just took away their only advantage!

Skull Face: gently caress!

Mael Radec: Relax, trogs're speed bumps. So we'll clean 'em up before we move onto the ballistae.

Svetlana Aliyev: There! Things are looking better already.

Patrick Gallagher: No they're not!
Skull Face: Maybe we should call up the infantry. The longer we sit here, the more likely it is the ballistae'll come up and shred one of us, and footsoldiers would make smaller targets.

Erik Spanner: I'm all for giving the trogs more things to shoot that aren't me, but we've just about cleaned up here. I'm betting we'll have things cleaned up by the time they could get here.

Erik Spanner: Not these loving things again!
Mael Radec: Fall back, everyone! Let's lure them right into our AA!

Sersan: All right, we're dispersed and ready! If they try to paralyze some of us, the rest will be in range to pick them off!

Anil E. Hilated: Seeing as how I can't hit the harpies, I'll handle the trogs.

"Doctor" Snark: That's one down!

Cholmondely: I've shot down the second. The third's too far away to hit, we'll have to let it come to us.

GyverMac: Oh poo poo, it's tilting its head back, I think it's getting ready to screech!

GyverMac: Whew. Looks like it got greedy. Probably wanted to hit as many of us as it could and flew right into our killzone!
Hardtack: Nice! Okay, let's knock out those ballistae now.

Bonaventura Ferrer: It's nice that we get to do something that's too dangerous for the IFVs for a change.

"Doctor" Snark: They've sighted us! Everyone duck!

Solrick Skaft: Oh Jesus, there's three of them!

Anil E. Hilated: No time to dig in! Everyone, take whatever shots you can get!

Solrick Skaft: Got 'em! Everyone keep it up, they don't have the volume of fire to take out a massed attack!

"Doctor" Snark: gently caress gently caress gently caress, throwers!

Svetlana Aliyev: Haul rear end, guys, we'll handle them!

Bonaventura Ferrer: They're firing from beyond our sight range!
Anil E. Hilated: Just stay low and crawl forward!

Erik Spanner: We've dumped ten volleys into these things and one's still standing!

Catherine Ulysses: Not anymore!
Skull Face: But how... those guns can't even...
Mael Radec: I'm not one to question good fortune. Whatever you just did, Cathy, do it the next time you see a thrower!

Solrick Skaft: Second ballista platoon down!

Bonaventura Ferrer: OW JESUS gently caress
Hardtack: Oh poo poo, Bona! You alright?

Bonaventura Ferrer: Not especially. I swear their aim's getting better. Gonna have to sit out the rest of this op, sorry guys.

Anil E. Hilated: I'm not doing so hot either. They hit us while we were prone! I didn't know their elevation range was that wide!

Skull Face: Well, they're dealt with now. Back to the usual plan?
Mael Radec: Back to the usual plan. PIRANHAS, ASSEMBLE!

Sersan: Alright, guys, take care. We'll head back to the staging area. Anything you can't handle alone, bring back to us.
Mael Radec: Got it. Listen up, everyone. Our next destination is the hill where we collapsed the mine entrances. Once we've taken it, we'll be in position to hit the enemy wherever else we find them.

Bonaventura Ferrer: You know, after going through that, standing around being bored isn't sounding as bad.

LATER

Catherine Ulysses: Let's see what we're up against this time.

Catherine Ulysses: More throwers! They really have their heavy weapons out in force, don't they?

Catherine Ulysses: Trogs too, but who cares about them?

Patrick Gallagher: Oh poo poo, more harpies!

Patrick Gallagher: There we go. Now to mop up the trogs!

Svetlana Aliyev: Nice and relaxing. Wish we could do it more often.

Catherine Ulysses: We've got more coming! Looks like they had the same idea about the hill we did. Confirmed two harpies, and some orcs and ka-orcs!
Erik Spanner: Don't forget the throwers. Just hope they don't have ballistae left, too.

Skull Face: They're here, they're here!
Erik Spanner: Right, we're booking. I've almost gotten killed twice, I don't want to try my luck a third time. Let's draw them back so we can hit them with everything we've got!

Svetlana Aliyev: You guys ever get a sense of deja vu?

Svetlana Aliyev: I think they're gaining on us!
Patrick Gallagher: Keep driving! The only reason we had to stop last time was because they caught up to our AA. I think we can get away this time!

Skull Face: Okay, no, you know what? gently caress this.

Skull Face: We drop the harpies, and the rest are easy pickings. I mean, they're goddamn trogs! Even if they have ka-orcs among them, that's just polishing turds.

Mael Radec: He's right! Even magic bullshit can't make an ax that can hack through sloped armor.

Catherine Ulysses: There's the last one! It's open season!

Mael Radec: Ka-Orcs are next! They're the ones that might actually harm us if they score a few dozen consecutive lucky hits.

But they didn't. It didn't take more than a few volleys to completely wipe out the ka-orcs, and once that was done, there wasn't any question left about the outcome of the battle. At least, not until the enemy reinforcements came.

Catherine Ulysses: Fuckers trashed most of my 'vees! Sorry, guys. If I go back out there now, one good hit would finish me.
Mael Radec: Understood, Cathy. Don't head back in until you've done some repairs. We need you alive.

Erik Spanner: Throwers, north! They caught up with us!

Svetlana Aliyev: Got it. Concentrate your fire on the throwers, everyone! They're the biggest threat!

Erik Spanner: Glad we nipped that one in the bud. Now, let's finish the mopup.

Patrick Gallagher: poo poo, ballista! And another thrower!

Patrick Gallagher: Need some support!

Svetlana Aliyev: I've got you, Pat! All units, hit the ballistae!

Erik Spanner: Good riddance. Too bad they still took out one of my Piranhas, though. Probably would've been two or more if it weren't for the new armor.

Erik Spanner: Mother of gently caress! How many of these things do they have?

Skull Face: There they are! Blast 'em!

Svetlana Aliyev: Let's hope that was the last one. It looks like they've realized how effective our vehicles are.

Erik Spanner: Remember when arrow throwers were the biggest threats we faced? I miss those days.
Patrick Gallagher: Radec, how're things down there?

Catherine Ulysses: We've just about got things cleaned up here. Even my 'vees are more than a match for trogs.

Svetlana Aliyev: Bullseye! Looks like that was the last one.
Skull Face: Yeah. It looks like... huh. Things went quiet. Didn't they have what looked like a base to the north? Why weren't any waiting for us there?
Mael Radec: I know what I said about questioning good fortune, but Skull's got a point. No signs of enemies remaining in the area, but let's sweep the rest of it just to be sure.

But in the end, we didn't find anything. By all appearances, with the exception of that small advance guard, the enemy had concentrated their entire force at the crest of the hill. Perhaps they'd hope we would make the same mistake as we did early in the campaign, and charge into their anti-tank weapons while they held the high ground. In any case, they squandered their advantage, and putting ourselves within striking distance of their HQ in England was enough to get Command listening to our requests again.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Command are such dicks, sure the skeleton mission wasn't a total success, but no one died, and recon in force isn't a terrible idea.

Least you're back to winning.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Infantry units, you have the chance to field-test new weaponry!

After extensive testing on captured specimen, we've discovered that the enemy's skeleton soldiers are vulnerable to flame-based weaponry, and our engineers have developed a new kind of high-yield incendiary grenade to more effectively combat the threat. Though our finances are a bit strained at the moment, we will be able to field two Flamethrower units armed exclusively with grenade launchers and the new flame grenades for our next battle against the undead.

Flamethrowers are quite useful and powerful. They outrange conventional infantry weapons and IFV cannons, with the exception of mortars, which still have a range edge over them. They also aren't just useful against the undead - they unleash hell on any infantry units, well beyond what our other weapons are capable of. They're decently effective against heavy units, about as much so as Commandos, even though they're not specialized against them, and are a perfectly serviceable weapon against them.

On the other hand, they also carry a few drawbacks. Flamethrower infantry start off with only two attacks per turn, meaning if you're running a commando or ranger unit, you'll lose one. They also aren't quite as effective for anti-armor purposes as Heavy Infantry. They also can't hit airborne units, which means they'll be unable to contribute if you guys urgently need to drop a harpy or five.

With all that in mind, would any of the current infantry unit commanders like priority on receiving the new flamethrowers?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

The secret is that skeletons are all really happy, which is why they're smiling all the time. So they really just want to dance and hug and have a good time, but they sometimes find it hard to break character when their dark lord expects them to be unholy minions of doom or whatever. Taking the first step and showing trust is key.

What about puzzles?

I've heard skeletons have a weakness for crossword puzzles and/or the Junior Jumble. Can anyone verify this?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I would not have guessed high yield incendiaries would be the solution to SKELETONS. Zombies, maybe, but skellies?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I would not have guessed high yield incendiaries would be the solution to SKELETONS. Zombies, maybe, but skellies?

Maybe it warms up the spaghetti the skeletons were trying to make, and then the skeletons are so impressed with your cooking that they decide to just let you win?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'll stick to my progressively punier guns until we can get something with real distance, thank you.
Also, make sure to point out when you want the next cutscene blurb.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

What about puzzles?

I've heard skeletons have a weakness for crossword puzzles and/or the Junior Jumble. Can anyone verify this?

chiasaur11 posted:

Maybe it warms up the spaghetti the skeletons were trying to make, and then the skeletons are so impressed with your cooking that they decide to just let you win?
It's important to verify your facts during wartime. You should be aware that the same source that made this claim also said that skeletons were so fragile that they could be turned to dust in a single blow by a child swinging a stick.

anilEhilated posted:

I'll stick to my progressively punier guns until we can get something with real distance, thank you.
Also, make sure to point out when you want the next cutscene blurb.
Will do! I believe it'll be at the end of this chapter.

Epochol
Mar 19, 2009

As fun as it sounds to burn and blow up monsters I'll stick to what I'm using now.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I was holding out for mobile artillery, but if the war effort needs flamethrowers then flamethrowers we will bring. Now we just need to agree on who will be the lead guitarist...

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

open a slot so I can be glorious flamethrowers.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

open a slot so I can be glorious flamethrowers.

Not empty quoted ::flame:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Really, I don't understand why there isn't a flood of volunteers from existing squads for this. It doesn't get much better than flamethrowers, people. Unless there's magical long-range rapid-fire silenced flamethrowers coming up later in the game I guess.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Would also like to cleanse the scarred earth with flame.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Flamer squads have been chosen! As the only volunteer from existing units, habituallyred's unit Sane Max's Own will get one of the first flamers. An additional unit from the backlog will be recruited, my dad's Forlorn Hope, as a new flamer unit.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

YeOldeButchere posted:

Really, I don't understand why there isn't a flood of volunteers from existing squads for this. It doesn't get much better than flamethrowers, people. Unless there's magical long-range rapid-fire silenced flamethrowers coming up later in the game I guess.

People are used to movie and video game flamethrowers which are lovely propane torches that sometimes light your clothes on fire and also the guy with the big tank on his back also always gets blown up and slowly burned by his own weapon in a display of cosmic comeuppance. Real flamethrowers are terrifying high-pressure tanks full of a goopy peanut butter/jello hybrid that fire big ropy loads in arcs over the battlefield. That super clingy gel also happens to be on fire and on your skin now. I'd rather deal with the movie version if I were on the receiving end. On the deployment end, I'll take the one I can spurt a good distance and is nigh impossible to put out on short notice.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
The Scions of Emer were not well known for using fire.

Solrick Skaft is however willing to KILL THEM WITH FIRE

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
And they're not flame throwers, they're incendiary grenade launchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
"A remainder that the Forces of Darkness have technically not signed the Geneva convention, and therefore, the use of flamethrowers does not count as a war crime against the Trogs. I hear they're digging out some old cold war stockpiles of nerve gas as well." :getin:

• Locked thread