Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Typical dumb poo poo

You suck at this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

loving Majestic

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yoga should be illegal

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
I'd rather react like a little whiny baby and throw a tantrum the moment anyone suggests that maybe something in some media could change so more people enjoy it. Hell i'll do the same thing even if a creator ever makes a change to their own work because that's obviously a sign of a overarching conspiracy.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Isn't Yoga frequented by bitchy white women who talk to every guy like it's their boyfriend and gay dudes?

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
There are a LOT of problems with yoga culture and it's up to us to stop it

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
my parents were killed by yoga

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Cultural appropriation is the dumbest concept that SJWs have come up with yet, specially considering 99.9% of them are in America, a land built on cultural assimilation and tolerance

loving dumb generation

Edit : sorry I meant "This is problematic"

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
It's kind of shocking to realize that the screechy SJW stereotype actually exists out in the wild somewhere instead of just in the self-amplifying echo chamber of mental illness that is tumblr.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Broenheim posted:

my parents were killed by yoga

how fat were they?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Don Tacorleone posted:

Cultural appropriation is the dumbest concept that SJWs have come up with yet, specially considering 99.9% of them are in America, a land built on cultural assimilation and tolerance

loving dumb generation

Edit : sorry I meant "This is problematic"

The concept is inherently racist. It's the fundamental idea that people can't enjoy parts of other cultures. It's pretty much KKK shaming of people for enjoying or celebrating other cultures.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006

Nurge posted:

It's kind of shocking to realize that the screechy SJW stereotype actually exists out in the wild somewhere instead of just in the self-amplifying echo chamber of mental illness that is tumblr.

some of us live with these 'people' everyday you glib fucko

boiling point isnt far away

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Nurge posted:

fat teenage girls got old enough for college

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
I dont care about yoga but they should ban the yoga pants or at least make it so you have to wear a skirt with them

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bluewedge posted:

some of us live with these 'people' everyday you glib fucko

boiling point isnt far away

Yeah that boiling point argument is some bullshit to perpetuate ignorance though. How many years have people been antagonizing culture without a violent reaction, and doing this hand waving "look at me I'm an idiot please kick my rear end" routine to get a reaction. But someday it's gonna be different than the last 10,000 days.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

somebody should trap 20 whiny college students and 20 evangelical Christians in the same room and see how long it takes for them to start killing each other, even though they have the same mentality towards poo poo they don't like

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I Greyhound posted:

I'd rather react like a little whiny baby and throw a tantrum the moment anyone suggests that maybe something in some media could change so more people enjoy it. Hell i'll do the same thing even if a creator ever makes a change to their own work because that's obviously a sign of a overarching conspiracy.

I agree lets use twitter as a bullying plateform until Joss Whedon/Lena Dunham an whoever else makes every piece of culture into intersectional feminist propaganda.

Because obviously a society that communicates through a filter of your comforts is a lesser to a community that simply communicates.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Son of Rodney posted:

can someone explain what cultural appropriation is and why I now must feel bad about liking things from other cultures?

It's mostly meant to refer to the phenomenon where society largely shits on things specific to minority culture and considers them low class/primitive/unprofessional/etc up until such a point where a famous white person embraces thing then suddenly white people like it and treat it as a fad. What was once something that got minority groups harassed or looked down on is now being mimicked in white pop culture and is now acceptable, you often see the white people who first picked up the trend heralded as revolutionary or w/e, a good example is white rap like when everyone went "oh man macklemore actually raps about important stuff rather than guns/bitches/drugs" (a mentality even he hates).

The backlash is a mixture of resentment over how it was considered bad when minorities did it but now good when white people do it (so they want to make it 'bad' when white people do it) and for some of the things with deeper cultural significance it also can feel like your heritage being commercialized, boxed, and sold, is offensive. The fact that the people who tend to profit from this sorta stuff are white people rather than the minority groups actually responsible for the thing is also an issue.

I can empathize with the issue I guess but I feel many examples of it are mostly people getting mad at the symptoms rather than tackling the problem itself.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

argondamn posted:

i am outraged at this outrage culture

You are far too sensitive. You suffer from Offensensitivity Syndrome.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Cultural appropriation is the far lefts word for "race traitor"

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ArbitraryC posted:

It's mostly meant to refer to the phenomenon where society largely shits on things specific to minority culture and considers them low class/primitive/unprofessional/etc up until such a point where a famous white person embraces thing then suddenly white people like it and treat it as a fad. What was once something that got minority groups harassed or looked down on is now being mimicked in white pop culture and is now acceptable, you often see the white people who first picked up the trend heralded as revolutionary or w/e, a good example is white rap like when everyone went "oh man macklemore actually raps about important stuff rather than guns/bitches/drugs" (a mentality even he hates).

The backlash is a mixture of resentment over how it was considered bad when minorities did it but now good when white people do it (so they want to make it 'bad' when white people do it) and for some of the things with deeper cultural significance it also can feel like your heritage being commercialized, boxed, and sold, is offensive. The fact that the people who tend to profit from this sorta stuff are white people rather than the minority groups actually responsible for the thing is also an issue.

I can empathize with the issue I guess but I feel many examples of it are mostly people getting mad at the symptoms rather than tackling the problem itself.

The "backlash" is in your head because you've obviously never been to a real party or been in a culturally mixed social environment. The "backlash" is the police's excuse to get away with anonymously murdering outspoken proponents of culture.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Whoa

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Instead of Yoga, white people are encouraged to touch their toes while saying a few Hail Marys

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The only time I can see cultural appropriation being a valid thing is when the outsiders' interpretation is so popular that it changes the nature of that culture, against the will of its original followers.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I think a social justice "Warrior Posse" sounds cool

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
TEN WORDS TRENDING NOW

sapiosexual
futanari
cleveland steamer
donkey punch
rimjob
blumpkin
blyat
tfw
smh
gently caress boy

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

Justin Godscock posted:

Isn't Yoga frequented by bitchy white women who talk to every guy like it's their boyfriend and gay dudes?

i cannot possibly infer any meaning from the last half of this trainwreck of a sentence

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Coolie Ghost posted:

i cannot possibly infer any meaning from the last half of this trainwreck of a sentence

I don't understand your words so they mean whatever prejudice I have about you is.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Coolie Ghost posted:

I think its supposed to be like "the only people who go to yoga are gay men and white women who talk to every guy like it's they're boyfriend"

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

The "backlash" is in your head because you've obviously never been to a real party or been in a culturally mixed social environment. The "backlash" is the police's excuse to get away with anonymously murdering outspoken proponents of culture.
I've read this post several times but i honestly don't get what you're trying to say.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
I'm a social justice warrior because I believes races/genders should be treated equally, post me

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ArbitraryC posted:

I've read this post several times but i honestly don't get what you're trying to say.

There isn't any real backlash to cultural saliency in the general population. Care to argue?

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
The people who cant stop conplaining about social justice warriors are the new social justice warriors

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Its cultural appropriation for somebody that isnt white to use a computer, drive a car, fly in a plane or wipe their rear end with toilet paper

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"I don't gotta problem with you, fuckin me. But I got a little problem with you -- not fuckin me."

-ODB

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

There isn't any real backlash to cultural saliency in the general population. Care to argue?
On a broad level it happens yeah as indicated by the articles you see every so often but if you mean some black people are going to berate you for twerking at a party then of course that doesn't happen. It's a subject discussed by academics because it is a symptom of racial inequality in society and helps perpetuate the feeling of exclusion.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

ArbitraryC posted:

Weirdly enough there's a mix of this and the race traitor sentiment within the more militant sjw circles, going so far as saying that whites and minorities shouldn't intermingle/interbreed since the kids would be assimilated and barred from their culture. Even though they'd be half white so... :shrug:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Parallax Scroll posted:

post a pic of the pose im not clicking all that poo poo

Aug 4, 2010

Noblesse Obliged posted:

my eyes are open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Generations after generation of racists complaining about black/foreign cultures corrupting the white protestant culture to end up with someone telling you cultural appropriation and xenophilia is bad and cultural segregation is good. Now excuse me i need to go watch some pictures of notorious cultural thieves Pablo Picasso and Van Gogh.

• Locked thread