Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Redneck culture gets appropriated all the time and nobody cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Roy posted:

That's because rednecks are white and even the poorest of poor white trash wields more institutional power than even Barack Obama.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

The Taint Reaper posted:

I dunno, this seems like this would appeal to a very limited audience.It doesn't seem to have legs.

taint reaped again :tbear:

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Roy posted:

That's because appropriating redneck culture actually turns you into a redneck.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Y-Hat posted:

somebody should trap 20 whiny college students and 20 evangelical Christians in the same room and see how long it takes for them to start killing each other, even though they have the same mentality towards poo poo they don't like

"The Stanford SJW Experiments"

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

hows thia for social jusitce? murder the disablED!

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Kiryen posted:

That's because appropriating redneck culture actually turns you into a redneck.

And here I was thinking that the trucker hat I bought was just haunted

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I thought cultural appropriation was poo poo like sports fans dressing up like braves and hopping around hooting like idiots or rich white woman putting on serapes and sombreros while drinking margaritas and screaming at their yard crew. But apparently it's disabled people doing low impact exercises?

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I thought cultural appropriation was poo poo like sports fans dressing up like braves and hopping around hooting like idiots or rich white woman putting on serapes and sombreros while drinking margaritas and screaming at their yard crew. But apparently it's disabled people doing low impact exercises?

Imagine you're grasping at straws but the straws aren't grass, they're things you can label as racist

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
the documentary linked in the OP is a real trip

i'd only ever encountered this poo poo in the wild on the internet before, seeing people chanting it and verbally assaulting dudes in person is kind of rocking my world here

well not really i already knew how this poo poo would look but id avoided any videos of it until now because i knew they would be dreadfully awkward

i feel like an old man half-listening to his grandchildren and chiming in with a "that's nice, sweetie" as they prattle on about how the whole world is so unfair

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Heath posted:

This is especially loving retarded because modern hatha yoga was brought to the west by an Indian man specifically looking to spread the culture to the west in order to bring enlightenment and fresh perspectives about the practice to people outside of his culture who would not otherwise have been exposed to it. Hatha yoga was looked down upon by most of Indian society at the time and likely would have remained a lost or esoteric tradition if it hadn't gained a foothold in the west. The group of people who popularized it here were constantly accused of witchcraft and impure practices and got chased out of basically everywhere they settled. It is loving amazing that hatha yoga not only survived but flourished here. The whole philosophy is yoga is that literally anyone can do it and that it is a practice that can be easily combined with any religious practice in order to deepen your understanding of the Self. It's a philosophy built from the ground up to be practiced by anyone regardless of faith or starting physical ability. Banning it shows a startling lack of understanding about the foundational parts of the practice

Hatha Yoga is weak rear end poo poo anyway.

Raja Yoga > all.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Someone tell me why people are posting itt because the first few posts that I looked at seem really bad.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Only russians and polacks get to drink until they poo poo themselves

dont appropriate their unique and vibrant culture

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

quote:

Ahimakin said the student federation put the yoga session on hiatus while they consult with students "to make it better, more accessible and more inclusive to certain groups of people that feel left out in yoga-like spaces. ... We are trying to have those sessions done in a way in which students are aware of where the spiritual and cultural aspects come from, so that these sessions are done in a respectful manner."

quote:

certain groups of people that feel left out in yoga-like spaces

This has to be some kind of Onion spin-off site, right?

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Roy posted:

And here I was thinking that the trucker hat I bought was just haunted

In rural America, culture appropriates YOU!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Justin Godscock posted:

Isn't Yoga frequented by bitchy white women who talk to every guy like it's their boyfriend and gay dudes?

I'll take a stab at translating.

"Bitchy white women frequent Yoga. This same population of women talk to every guy as if either he is a gay dude or is their boyfriend."

:shrug:

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i am actually getting really annoyed and bored by gbs obsession wi th this ongoing situation, as i no longer care and cannot be bothered to hear another drop of this earpoison

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

I'll take a stab at translating.

"Bitchy white women frequent Yoga. This same population of women talk to every guy as if either he is a gay dude or is their boyfriend."

:shrug:
i rage when females address me without proper respect

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

nomadologique posted:

i am actually getting really annoyed and bored by gbs obsession wi th this ongoing situation, as i no longer care and cannot be bothered to hear another drop of this earpoison

READ THE OP

Unrelated note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do5zrdTb-yI

Hey this video got me thinking, are there any gender studies academics that advocate living wages for child rearing?

Sethex fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 23, 2015

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Icept posted:

'The Sun' leans conservative HARD, an is owned by Murdoch last I checked. More mainstream papers cover the subject too: http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/u-of-o-students-decision-to-cancel-yoga-class-sparks-internet-backlash

I also want to remind people the cultural appropriate thing to do before many University held groups in Ottawa is to remind everyone that where they are at that very moment, ''is native land.''

It feels right at first, an then it gets stale an looks more like something white people say to make them feel better about colonialism.

Sethex fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 23, 2015

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Disabled people aren't a "culture". Disabled people don't inherently interact predominantly with disabled people, inherently have familial or social ties to other disabled people, or have any other defining social link or common ground that would define them as a culture. Disability isn't something people do because they're into it and think it's cool.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Icept posted:

It's very real friend. And they want to censor you.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Disability isn't something people do because they're into it and think it's cool.

read about the girl who intentionally blinded herself, the lesbian couple who wanted to make their baby deaf, and all thed eaf people who are mad about hearing restorative surgery.

it's a culture of mental illness.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
deaf ppl have a culture of deafness, i read about it on the internet once

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Disabled people aren't a "culture". Disabled people don't inherently interact predominantly with disabled people, inherently have familial or social ties to other disabled people, or have any other defining social link or common ground that would define them as a culture. Disability isn't something people do because they're into it and think it's cool.

actualy. http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...-working-bodies
as a actual disabled person, gently caress these fetid cunts.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kumo posted:

I could not make up these titles:

3 Ways Popular Horror Movie Tropes Are Ableist:

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/11/horror-movie-tropes-ableist/

The Feminist Guide to Being a Foodie Without Being Culturally Appropriative:

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/11/foodie-without-appropriation/

7 Affirmations for Polyamorous People Who Are Struggling with Self-Judgment

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/11/polyamorous-self-judgment/

3 Exciting Ways Witchcraft and Feminism Intersect

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/11/witchcraft-and-feminism/

It's like you can't enjoy anything without being a neurotic mess worried about how this action or that affects some poor minority with your privilege.

Is that site more or less stupid than xojane?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

That is literally the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard. Good luck with that. As long as you say something on the news enough times it is or becomes true. But I think what you really need are just a few more examples to make it seem more legit...

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

We need to rigorously maintain divisions among creeds, each keeping to their own ways. Apartheid of religious, cultural, and culinary practices is absolutely essential. You know, for social justice.

I seriously wouldn't be surprised if that ilk started bleating that it was "appropriative" to learn a foreign language.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh my goodness this is fantastic. thank you so much for sharing this with me.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Otisburg posted:

I seriously wouldn't be surprised if that ilk started bleating that it was "appropriative" to learn a foreign language.

Already happened.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Totalizator posted:

Already happened.

oh man got a link?

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It's been a thing for a while, second google result:

http://irresistable-revolution.blogspot.com/2010/10/im-sorry-whiteness-you-cant-have.html

also found this

You could probably find much more digging through tumblr but gently caress that.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Why do all feminists look like Rich Evans from red letter media, yet he loves movies while they hate movies?

I don't get it, these cloning experiments are delivering undesirable results.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

nomadologique posted:

its better than the mra feminazi threads ewe had a few weeks ago

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Disability isn't something people do because they're into it and think it's cool.

Have you never heard of tumblr/read one of the mock threads? The more disabilities you have, the cooler you are!

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

these people literally have brain damage causing them to feel this way (to the somatosensory cortex). calling them fetid cunts rather than mentally ill is kinda dumb.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Totalizator posted:

It's been a thing for a while, second google result:

http://irresistable-revolution.blogspot.com/2010/10/im-sorry-whiteness-you-cant-have.html

also found this

You could probably find much more digging through tumblr but gently caress that.

What's the point of languages again? It's not a method of communicating with people, right? The idea is for it to be a secret code so you can talk about people of other cultures without them knowing what you're saying, right? Also, English is the default human language and the one all white people speak, and no white people have ever been native Spanish speakers? I'm pretty sure that's all accurate

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Profondo Rosso posted:

its better than the mra feminazi threads ewe had a few weeks ago

Not really

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

loquacius posted:

What's the point of languages again? It's not a method of communicating with people, right? The idea is for it to be a secret code so you can talk about people of other cultures without them knowing what you're saying, right? Also, English is the default human language and the one all white people speak, and no white people have ever been native Spanish speakers? I'm pretty sure that's all accurate

english basically is the default language now, its the language of business, similar to how French was 500 yrs ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

gannyGrabber posted:

U of O is the lovely University tbh. All the successful people go to the USA

Ftfy

• Locked thread