Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Professor Shark posted:

University of Guelph covers up rapes

gently caress them

My cousin is on campus finishing up an environmental sciences degree and said ever since the issues with UoM there have been about 4 black students who have been going around the campus with gopros and cell phones (constantly recording) trying to get people to yell "friend of the family" at them. Things have not been going so well, so they have started resorting to yelling "cracker" to try and get a response which has gotten them the nickname (crackers) as they think that is the most likely way to get some white student to drop the "N word". Mostly people just ignore them or yell, "gently caress you!". Then again this is a university full of hicks, so it could totally be justified.

Any other Aggies going to UoG have a run-in with them or hear about their antics? Or is this the first you have heard of this sort of "baiting" going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

wiffle ball bat posted:

canada hates their own natives so much they dont have time to racially oppress anybody else.

100% true.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

wiffle ball bat posted:

(yells a question at lady)

(lady attempts to respond)

(repeats the last three words of your initial query twice as loud, cutting off the response of the person trying to answer your question)

In all honesty, this is what literally every college protester does when talking to an admin that's trying to explain something to them. If you can find a single example on youtube of a discussion between students with grievances and an admin that doesn't follow the pattern your outlined, I will be legit surprised.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Professor Shark posted:

Why hasn't anyone recorded them doing this?

I doubt most people are constantly recording on their phones in hopes of catching them in the act. *

*assuming this is actually a thing**
** assuming it has happened more than once

rock rock posted:

Is this a Sasquatch rights thing?

Absolutely not. Samsquanches are mentioned by name in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
So can we expect this exact same video to be posted in a year or two but instead of black students it's trans students? Or have I already missed that?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

yhe comment section on that site seems a bit racist tbh

Are you saying you've seen comment sections on the internet that are not racist? I saw a video on youtube of two golden retriever puppies playing on a beach, it had 100 views and three comments. The top comment was something about Arabs.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I still think the reason Harper fought so hard to not investigate the murders/kidnappings is because that was his hobby.

The original impetus for the investigation was the pig farmer in BC, and the cops didn't investigate any of the missing women that hard, regardless of race. The upcoming inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women will point the blame squarely on the much, much higher probability of native women to run away from home, or be murdered by people from their reserves colonization. The reason why you never hear about an inquiry into murdered aboriginal men (despite it being much higher than aboriginal women) is that it shows it's the culture on the reserves that is getting so many of these people killed.

The conditions on the one reserve I used to work at were pretty much.

People have kids in their late teens through to their late 30's.
The grandparents raise the kids and can't control them because they are too old.
The kids grow up never going to school and just causing trouble around the reserve.
They get into gang culture or prostitution on/off reserve, and they get killed.
Before that happens, those kids will have a ton of kids and they end up getting raised by their great-grandparents (because the kids grandparents won't do it), and the cycle continues.

At the First Nations high school I taught at, they had the tribal police and elders in all the time to counsel the kids. At no time was education or work pushed, it was always "learn the culture, that will fix everything!" or "nothing is your fault, colonization is to blame for everything!". So you had a bunch of kids who never even tried to do well, because, "colonization is going to keep me down!" so they never even try despite most companies jumping at the chance to hire qualified first Nations people (medical profession especially).

The first nations people in Canada got a really raw deal, and continue to, but horrible mismanagement of funds and family infighting (think medieval families trying to gain power and loving everything up on reserve in the process) are the current issues that are keeping first nations people down. The reserve I am talking about used to have a certain amount of money allocated to education, and it could only be used for education. As a result they had amazing facilities and saved up enough cash to build a beautiful school staffed with a ton of qualified teachers. Now that they have more "self governance" they've pissed all the education money away and the schools are 1/2 staffed with different community members who "almost finished university" or "did really well in high school" because it is cheaper than paying real teachers. That board of education is now millions in debt because all the money allocated towards the future of their children has been pissed away to buy votes for the next chief.

If you want to see how a reserve can flourish with non-corrupt leadership, check out Chief Louie out in BC. He's pretty much the polar-opposite of Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence who was caught stealing/mismanaging all her reserve's cash, and then sidestepped the issue by hijacking the Idle no more movement, which she pretty much killed all by herself.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fried Watermelon posted:

The mandatory classes should be in high school.

University students are more likely to not be huge idiot racists

The problem with these classes, and I have seen some similar ones in university and the high school I used to teach at, is that (depending on who they get to teach it) they often turn into "shaming sessions" with the First Nations Speaker coming in and basically saying to all the kids, "you are the reason first nations are having such trouble". Bonus points awarded when the students include first generation immigrants from African colonial countries. Those sessions/classes don't usually breed tolerance and understanding, but seem to create the exact opposite effect.

The first nations high school I used to work at had a lot of students who would say very racist things about blacks, asians, and jews, and the teachers lodged complaints with the principal. The principal took it up with the board of education, and the director of education issued a statement that basically said, "First Nations people are not capable of racism, that is a characteristic unique to people of European descent".

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Toriori posted:

Blistex is right about the schools and also another thing that sucks is education on the rez is so flipping bad I was teaching a girl in grade 7 who couldn't spell the word "truck" at 12 years old because she was so hosed up from her and her whole family huffing insane amounts of gasoline. But she would get pushed through grades anyway so her rez could report a shiny report on how many kids finished grades.
The first nation high school I worked with only taught the college level courses meaning those kids couldn't even go to university if they wanted to and were smart enough to, which many were.
Then I recently worked with a girl who is incredibly smart and a hard worker and someone at a Shoppers wouldn't sell her a bottle of listerene.

At my school I had to teach a "catch up" math course for some of the grade nine students coming from the elementary school down the street. The elementary school was big enough that every grade had two classes. So there were two grade 7 teachers, two grade 8 teachers, etc. The problem was that one of the grade 7 teachers and one of the grade 8 teachers didn't like math, so their solution was to not teach math. So one class had both of those teachers, and for the entirety of grades 7 and 8 they did absolutely no math at all. Normally this would be a problem, but you can't fire people who are related to the Chief. So I had to get these students ready for grade 9 math, because they had done absolutely no math for the two previous years.

Our highschool would graduate about 10 students each year, and about 6 of them would go to university/college. By Christmas, there would usually only be 2 students left as the other 4 couldn't hack it in a real educational institution or they had massive culture shock and need to go back to the reserve. Our Board of Education was passing so many students who just didn't get it, and just kept pushing them along to pad their grad rates. Naturally none of this could ever be addressed or even mentioned, as the director was pretty much Stalin, so "no bad news can exist!". The board also laid off every contract teacher they could, and replaced them with ATEP teachers (Aboriginal Teacher Education Program). The vast majority of these teachers never even finished high school themselves, and just got pushed into the ATEP program which is just a diploma mill. When you look at an ATEP teacher's qualification, it looks like they did a full degree at Queen's University, while in reality most of them only spend two days a week in a classroom in a community complex for a year. So basically First Nation's education has already reached, and passed the "high water mark" and it's only going to go downhill from here as they are in the process of replacing real teachers with ones that are not actually qualified because they would rather employee a community member and keep that salary on reserve rather than actually teach their children and have them succeed.

If I ever get on to the Public board of education and fully employed off reserve I am going to do an effort-post AMA about my six years in FN's education. The thread will pretty much read like a "stdh.txt" post because the stuff that was considered normal on reserve was just to loving unbelievable.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Toriori posted:

Honestly it would probably make you sound like a racist to boot but a lot of the issues and crazy poo poo are not isolated incidents. My partner works extensively with adult aboriginal learners who never got to learn how to read or write properly and they try so hard, one who struggled really badly with alcoholism was so nice and wanted to better his life but he was found dead recently after passing out and falling in a river.

The worst is the kids who just get failed by every single person and system that are supposed to support them. Just completely burdened by insitutionalized racism, lateral violence, racism and nepotism :smith:

The odds are definitely stacked against them. They get failed by their own people, then they get pushed out of the community and get failed again by the government. The smart ones that grew up in a good family environment shoot straight to the top. I've had amazingly bright students who have great family support, and they just rocketed through high school, through university, and started their jobs with thousands of dollars in their pockets and no debt (band paid for schooling, the student took advantage of government programs and grants, and they had part time jobs in University). One girl put a down payment on a house the week after she got out of university because companies were lining up to pay her a signing bonus to have a "top of the class" student who was also a first nations person who also spoke the language (healthcare, she was given a $50,000 signing bonus to work at a northern reserve clinic for a minimum of two years, plus her regular pay as an RPN).

On the other side of the coin there was a girl who was accepted to Western, despite her not actually meeting the grade requirements (also her high school grades were significantly padded) and after her very first assignment (essay handed back in class) she stood up and screamed that the professor was racist and sexist. The white male professor then told her that he had not even read her paper, and that it was his TA (East Indian girl). The girl instantly dropped out of school, and the next year she told this story to my grade 11 careers class because she was being paid by the band to talk about racism off reserve. :j: "Racist white teachers get their "fake Indians" to fail us so they can't get called out as being racist!"

Smart kids, with good family support, and are clever enough to figure out the system can sidestep a lot of the racism and roadblocks and take advantage of a lot of the support they get from the government. Students who don't have that background or those skills are 110% doomed.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

the trump tutelage posted:

Is ATEP the equivalent of a B.Ed with OCT certification?

I thought all teachers on Ontario reserves needed to be certified teachers.

Nope. ATEP qualifies you to teach Kindergarten to Grade 6 on a first nation's reserve. But that didn't stop my old high school from having ATEP teachers teaching grades 9-12. Also there were teachers in the elementary school with absolutely nothing past high school.

Reserves exist in a grey area of federal/provincial regulations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Toriori posted:

ya but let's not forget it can be difficult to figure out how to live in a good way when you grow up in a community where there's been a boil water advisory for 20 years (Neskantaga), the highest rate of suicide per capita on the entire planet (Pikangikum) or crippling dependance on opiods/gas huffing (too many to name unfortunately) and the only message being thrown at you consistently is "its not your fault" and "the medicine wheel".
fastest growing population in Canada with 50% under 30 and 50% of that under 15 so we need to find better ways to invest in what is essentially the demo that's going to be deciding a lot of Canadas future

Old coworker of mine lived in Pikangikum and said that 90% of the problem is the incredible corruption in the Band and Band Services. They regularly run the OPP out of town over non-incidents, and had their school burn down because the fire department never bothered to fill the water truck and decided a building that is visibly smoking isn't worth investigating/sticking around to watch over. Actual health services people who are sent/invited there to help with the suicide epidemic are regularly run out of town, and like you said, "not your fault/medicine wheel/7 grandfathers" fixes everything in their minds. He had to personally pick up a visiting politician with a big cheque and drive him around the community, find a place for him to stay, and even accept the cheque on behalf of the community because everyone in the band council, including the chief were too busy (drinking a shipment of smuggled booze).

What chance does a kid have in that kind of mess?

• Locked thread