Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Well boys will be boys you know

boys: boys :: boys: boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture
Aug 7, 2012

i think scott adams is an insiprational figure. he lives in agony without the right woman for him to adore and take care of, but he still created the critically acclaimed and succesful comic strip dilbert.

many fortune 500 companies use his strips in their powerpoint presentations to break the ice a little and make everyone laugh. great guy would love to meet him.

- vulture

Vulture fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 23, 2015

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
LOL if u think that chivalry bullshit wasn't invented by patriarchs to justify keeping women at home

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Like if a dude holds the door open for me or w/e I'll say "thank you" 'cause I know he probably means well, but I don't expect or encourage that sort of thing. And if a date insisted on being super-chivalrous all the time it would weird me the gently caress out

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
*organizes society where men have significant advantages in work, culture, law, and family*

*includes minor, ironic gestures of preferential treatment for women*

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"ISIS's war on the West is an expression of male-dominated culture vs female-dominated culture. For example, on dates you have to be nice to women. That loving sucks. Good thing I don't go on any dates. What was I talking about?"

Seriously this man is a published author and he thought that blog entry or whatever was a good coherent thought that made sense

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Pththya-lyi posted:

LOL if u think that chivalry bullshit wasn't invented by patriarchs to justify keeping women at home

Uh you mean romanticism created the idea of chivalry that saves damsels in distress. Real chivalry is rules from the church that say "don't kill each other today" for lords.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mein Eyes! posted:

*organizes society where men have significant advantages in work, culture, law, and family*

*includes minor, ironic gestures of preferential treatment for women*

this is like a meme but even lower-effort because you didn't even open up MSPaint, find the Impact font, and put the "scumbag" hat on a thing

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
just like a woman, they're confused a lot

Vulture
Aug 7, 2012

Pththya-lyi posted:

Like if a dude holds the door open for me or w/e I'll say "thank you" 'cause I know he probably means well, but I don't expect or encourage that sort of thing. And if a date insisted on being super-chivalrous all the time it would weird me the gently caress out

Pththya-lyi,

woah weird name there haha! you are right, some men do go a little overboard with being nice. but remember a lot of men as they grow up are expected treat women this way. you were talking about patriarchy in your other post, i tihnk that is a little extreme. try giving the next "super-chivalrous" man a shot next time, you might be surprised!

scott adams has been on this planet for a long time, so he knows some learned truths which make some people uncomfortable. i completley understand why, though i disagree with some of the criticism directed towards him.

- vultur

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Uh you mean romanticism created the idea of chivalry that saves damsels in distress. Real chivalry is rules from the church that say "don't kill each other today" for lords.

Larry D. Benson posted:

Andreas Capellanus tells the young lover that if he should be attracted to a peasant girl he should waste no time on words, since such base creatures are incapable of understanding; he advises rape instead. This idea that only the noble classes are capable of love persisted, and perhaps even grew stronger, in the later Middle Ages.

http://sites.fas.harvard.edu/~chaucer/special/lifemann/love/ben-love.htm

medieval / courtly love would have fit well with the PAU crowd

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Scott Adams drank 36 diet cokes per day until it literally dissolved his vocal cords.

this sounds funny i hope its true

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

oh yeah, i forgot to tell you; i always loved you

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

theultimo posted:

Millennials are the worst

Baby boomers are the worst

Gen X was the best generation
give me your job

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

scott adams went to my college, fwiw

liberal arts shithole in NY

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I'm a man
I need hugs
No hugs?
Bombs away

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
The solution to radical violence in the Middle East is to oppress women even harder in the Middle East, got it :thumbsup:

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Tip posted:

Scott Adams is a trained hypnotist.

He saw the scene from red dwarf where rimmer (the sad sack hologram man) picks up hypnotism in order to seduce women

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

The solution to radical violence in the Middle East is to oppress women even harder in the Middle East, got it :thumbsup:

if we stop expecting men to be nice on dates obviously ISIS will chill out and smoke a J

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Pththya-lyi posted:

yeah...i'm a dude and my stepmother insisted i treat women in this way. it really hosed me for trying to date because girls thought i was a massive sperglord for it (instead of teh real reasons)

edit: come to think of it, no one even evinced interest in me until i said 'ya know what i don't give a flying gently caress anymore' and stopped doing poo poo like that

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax
He just came up with a weird excuse to post about teenage boys wanting sex and somehow blame that for suicide bombing. Good job, Scott.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It's just hilarious to blame violence in the Middle East on women, when in the cultures he's talking about women have a social standing somewhere behind what they had in 17th century Europe.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
does adams post here? seems like he posts here

i bet he has an anime av

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

A misanthrope posted:

does adams post here? seems like he posts here

i bet he has an anime av
i think you're Adams

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

symbolic posted:

i think you're Adams

sounds exactly like what a scott Adams would say

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm Scottadamsacus

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

*clears throat*

I'm Scott Ada-- oh drat it ^^^

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Vulture posted:

try giving the next "super-chivalrous" man a shot next time, you might be surprised!

my current boyfriend might have a problem with that

tell you what: if i get a super-chivalrous guy on the rebound, i'll tell him, "you know you don't have to do that, right? you don't have to impress me." but if he insists on doing a bunch of m'lady stuff over my objections i'm dumping him like a hot potato

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm not really sure what's so insane about saying dudes want to smash puss?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

BigBoss posted:

I'm not really sure what's so insane about saying dudes want to smash puss?

hmmm consider the audience :mmmhmm:

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
the only thing funny sccott adams has ever done is develope a fake disease where his hands shake when he tries to write with a pen and his voice is just a whisper even though theres nothing physically wrong it turns out he is just a huge pussy

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pththya-lyi posted:

I just hold the door open for anyone that is also about to use it. :shrug:

That seems just like a normal thing to do. I'm not going to run ahead of you to open it though. If we get to the door at the same time I'll open it and let you through but again I'll do that for anyone including other men.

I'll offer my coat if someone is obviously cold and I'm not but yeah I do that for people I'm not trying to sex, either, just because again it seems like the polite thing to do.

You're loving high if you think I'm getting out of my car and running around the side to open your door for you though lmao and ideally we'd split the check or if I cover it this time I'd think it reasonable for you to get it next time.

e: I offer the bowl when I pack a fresh one too because ayy

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 23, 2015

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

hmmm consider the audience :mmmhmm:
I read that blog article and it didn't come across as insane at all. He's not a very good writer, but he didn't say anything remotely controversial at all. Anyone who's actually had sex would agree with me.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BigBoss posted:

I read that blog article and it didn't come across as insane at all. He's not a very good writer, but he didn't say anything remotely controversial at all. Anyone who's actually had sex would agree with me.

"A reasonable response to being so goony that you're unable to get a date is to suicide bomb and murder people and that is just 'how boys are' and is totally normal."

- someone contemplating murder/suicide

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
please post good dilbart comics thanks.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

You're loving high if you think I'm getting out of my car and running around the side to open your door for you though lmao and ideally we'd split the check or if I cover it this time I'd think it reasonable for you to get it next time.

There's a scene in Aziz Ansari's new Netflix show where someone points out the girl he's on a Tinder date with is obviously just using him to get a free dinner and he still pays for her to buy three entrees and take two of them home

Like, the joke isn't that he still pays for it, the joke is that that's what she's doing. Him paying for it anyway is just a thing that happens.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BigBoss posted:

"if you don't have this exact same opinion on gender politics as me, you are a virgin" -- a person posting on the Internet in 1998 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
For a second I confused Scott Adams with Douglas Adams and I was super sad.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

"A reasonable response to being so goony that you're unable to get a date is to suicide bomb and murder people and that is just 'how boys are' and is totally normal."

- someone contemplating murder/suicide

loquacius posted:

"if you don't have this exact same opinion on gender politics as me, you are a virgin" -- a person posting on the Internet in 1998 2015

Thank you for proving my point, boys. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Who What Now posted:

For a second I confused Scott Adams with Douglas Adams and I was super sad.

you'd be sad he came back from the dead?

• Locked thread